Daughters Friend

Razorbackfan2010

We are thinking about letting my daughters 16 year old friend go with us on our upcoming cruise. What documentation do we need and has anyone had any trouble with this in the past?

You will need her passport, or certified birth certificate and State issued photo ID and an authorization letter from the parents, here is one I have used in the past

To Whom it May Concern

I, Mothers name, formally mothers maiden name (mother), do give permission your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Ship Name sailing from Departure Port on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary is subject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your name permission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may need while in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2011 in Brevard County Florida

Mothers name

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2011, by

Signature Florida Notary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced____________________________________________

I normally try and get one from both parents although have travelled with just one with no problem.

I would definitely talk to a travel agent and the cruise line to find out what type of documentation you would need.

A notarized letter from BOTH parents is what I would think you would need, and of course a passport or photo ID and Birth Certificate. (it would be better to have too much documentation than not enough!) :eek:

You'll also need a letter from the both parents if divorced.

You'll need medical power of attorney for the friend .

All paperwork should be notarized by a lawyer.

The US works differently than Canada. A notary is not a lawyer. In California one can become a notary after only a few hours and a test.

The fee can range anywhere from $5-$20 per signature.

You didn't say if the cruise was returning to the same city (closed loop)., or if it is not

If she is 16 and has a US Passport and is a US resident, she may be allowed to sail with only one parent present. If neither parent nor legal guardian is present, you will need a notarized letter from both of her parents. It must state the purpose of the trip and what exact dates are involved. If it is a closed loop, then she may be allowed to sail with a government issued duplicate Birth Certificate, photo ID and a letter from both parents.

David

We took my daughters 16 year old friend with us in March. I had her passport, insurance card and a letter from her parents that had permission to treat and travel. Never showed the letter. We have 3 teens and had booked 2 cabins with my husband and I split up between the rooms. We did the whole room switch onboard with no problems.

Oh and on the same cruise my brother wasn't asked for his letter from his ex stating he could travel with his boys. I think you should have the documentation but I wonder how often they ask. He actually only has visitation of his kids not partial custody.

We took my daughters 16 year old friend with us in March. I had her passport, insurance card and a letter from her parents that had permission to treat and travel. Never showed the letter. We have 3 teens and had booked 2 cabins with my husband and I split up between the rooms. We did the whole room switch onboard with no problems.

Have done this several times and never had a problem.

We made it clear to the friend (and my sons) what the rules were, and to the parents what was expected. We paid for his trip and excursions and he brought money for souvenirs. He also tried to buy us dinner on the trip down each time. For DH and me, it was a sweet gesture but would have been like taking money from my own child!!

The friend we took several times was a friend of many years and we knew he was a good kid. He also knew we would treat him like our own child...so he was forwarned!! HAHA!!

If you just get a notary at a bank, in my opinion, a notary is enough...and free.
I agree - the bank notary is fine (and I'm a lawyer:p). However, definitely bring the letter. We brought our 17 YO nephew on our cruise on Pride this past July - and yes, we were asked for the letter.

You will need her passport, or certified birth certificate and State issued photo ID and an authorization letter from the parents, here is one I have used in the past

To Whom it May Concern

I, Mothers name, formally mothers maiden name (mother), do give permission your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Ship Name sailing from Departure Port on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary is subject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your name permission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may need while in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2011 in Brevard County Florida

Mothers name

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2011, by

Signature Florida Notary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced____________________________________________

I normally try and get one from both parents although have travelled with just one with no problem.

The above form is a great idea. I would also add the father's name, and have both sign, and get it notorized. The ship probably won't ever ask to see it, as long as things go normally. But, if anything unforseen happens, especially medically, you will have to produce documentation before any medical help can be applied. It's called CYA, and can be very important.

We are thinking about letting my daughters 16 year old friend go with us on our upcoming cruise. What documentation do we need and has anyone had any trouble with this in the past?

Use the letter the first poster showed. I took my daughter and her two friends with us in 2010. All were 15. I was nervous because one of the girls parents are divorced so I even made the dad get a notarized letter as well. We got the letters but no one ever asked anything. We crossed the border from Canada to USA and flew from Buf to Fll. WE boarded the ship. No one asked any questions ever.

The girls will not be able to have a cabin by themselves, since she is not your daughter, a adult aged 25 or older will have to be booked with her.

They have to be booked with an adult...but don't actually have to stay with the adult (per my PVP)

We did this for the Conquest cruise...

Thanks all for your replies. They have been very helpful. I will make sure I get a notorized letter from both parents and I have advised them to get her a passport.

a birth certificate and a state issued photo id is all that is needed for the 16 year old.

will need a passport if she misses the ship.

Keep the notorized letter with your documents. We only needed that letter when we got off the ship for debarkation. We were asked by customs who then asked GD for information.

Even though the original poster didn't ask about a 2nd room the posts talking about this are appreciated. For the non-initiated the reason the cruise line asks for an adult to be booked in all cabins is for insurance purposes. As long as they can vouch that an "adult" booked the cabin they are golden no matter who actually sleeps in said cabin.

By the way, is 25 really the cut off age? What about peeps over 18. Does the cruise line make them travel with their Mommies when they can serve in the military...or does Mommy need to come along with the 21 year old married couple. I guess the 25 cut off is for minors...but what about the 22 year olds who travel with their infants. Guess I better run off to the Carnival site and read the small print.

Even though the original poster didn't ask about a 2nd room the posts talking about this are appreciated. For the non-initiated the reason the cruise line asks for an adult to be booked in all cabins is for insurance purposes. As long as they can vouch that an "adult" booked the cabin they are golden no matter who actually sleeps in said cabin.

By the way' date=' is 25 really the cut off age? What about peeps over 18. Does the cruise line make them travel with their Mommies when they can serve in the military...or does Mommy need to come along with the 21 year old married couple. I guess the 25 cut off is for minors...but what about the 22 year olds who travel with their infants. Guess I better run off to the Carnival site and read the small print.[/quote']

if they are your children -- they can be booked in a room without the parent. if your military son is taking his non military girlfriend and she is 19 she is still considered a minor by the cruiseline and will not be able to book in a room with out that person over 25.

if your son is 21 and he wants his own private room with the girl and she is 20-- nope = not gonna happen -again she will need someone over the age of 25.

now-- lets get me started---LOL and I am glad carnival changed this ploicy... once upon a time we were cruising as a family on the Liberty in 2006. my son (23 and GF was 21. their daughter was 18 months old)

the daughter was not allowed to be be booked in their cabin. she needed to be booked in with me (since the son and GF was not married yet. They were getting married on the ship though...made no difference.

ticked me off big time because you read here how teens were allowed to be booked in their own cabins.

the bottom line is-- if you are traveling with someone under 21 they need someone that is 25 or over.

What exactly do you do to do the "room switch" - we have this situation ourselves coming up - and I wondered if I just swapped sail & sign cards with my son so he has a room key to his room - or how we manage it? Thank you!

Archived