Mattresses on Princess cruises

auntkaty

Like food, mattress comfort is subjective. That's why mattress stores have so many options.

Some people prefer a soft mattress, I find them very uncomfortable and tend to develop sciatica very quickly on them. I've never had a problem with the mattresses on Princess but have on HAL and Celebrity where the mattresses are softer with less support.

Had a pillowtop mattress on the Star last March which was great. Firm support with a soft layer for comfort, just like at home. :)

Did you have a pillow top on the Island, Pam?

Like food, mattress comfort is subjective. That's why mattress stores have so many options.

You took the words right out of my mouth... uh, keyboard. :D

I also don't mind the Princess mattresses, but I have back problems and prefer a firm mattress.

The only time my back bothers me is when I am on a cruise ship.Mattress is like a solid slab of concrete.I have a soft mattress at home and sleep like a baby.Never had a real good sleep on a cruise,even with egg crates.

I love the little slabs of concrete known as the Princess bed. I am on the Star in January and I am a bit worried the new mattresses will be too smooshy.

I just got off the Diamond Princess. The beds were changed out and we we found the new beds firm but with the bed cushion much more firm and comfortable. We saw them take the old beds off the ship where they were carted off somewhere.

• 2 years later...

We stayed in the Owner's Suite on the Royal Princess last year and it was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. I'd love to purchase one. Does anyone know who the maker is and how we can purchase one?

Thanks.

Yes, I just am hoping to find out what bed they had in the Owner's Suite Cabins on the new Royal - I'm having a very hard time finding a bed that works for my back and that exact bed was the only one I had a perfect sleep on!

I sure hope we get a pillow top on Royal. The Princess mattresses have always made my shoulders and hip bones ache, even with the old egg crates and the newer flat toppers. I have been able to get the kind of pillows I like, though. They have a pretty good inventory.

Do you know if the Crown Princess has had their mattresses replaced?

I think they are replacing all the mattresses little by little. There may be one area with new mattresses but older, more firm ones in another area on the same ship.

I am happy to report, though, we were on the Crown in December in an oceanview room and the mattress was one of the newer ones. I always request an egg crate topper but this was the first time on Princess I didn't need to order it. I am hoping they exchanged them throughout the fleet now...or at least throughout the Crown.

I hope that I can request a change of pillows since I am allergic to feathers & down.:eek: Does anybody know if pillows change by room type? What about the duvets? I'm in a mini on the Star, leaving 11/20/12.

You can request what you like. I oftentimes have a hard time getting a feather pillow, though....they are my favorite! I have not had a problem getting extra pillows of all other types.

Oh dear, we booked a mini on our upcoming W Caribbean cruise on the Crown with the expectation that mini's would have toppers :eek:... Was hoping to avoid bringing our own memory foam. Only a 7-day so maybe we'll chance it and hope for the best.

We were in a mini (Star) last October and it had the usual horrible rock-hard mattresses. In fact it wasn't only hard, it sloped to one side. I had to stick some folded beach towels under the mattress so that I wouldn't roll out of the bed. I've been on four different Princess ships which involved 8-9 cruises in the past three years and every single one was terrible. We just can't seem to get a decent mattress such as so many others here claim to have. After 5 hours I have to get up because my legs and hips go numb. We're trying Star again next week and my fingers are crossed they have a decent mattress with a topper in our cabin. I have never had such a problem on four other cruise lines. Still, I love Princess. :o

My husband and I have a sleep number bed at home. I like my side a lot softer than he does. I try to get a pillow top for my side.

So do we and then we have a 5 inch thick topper on top of it. It is heavenly. I fall asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow. We once owned and ran a B&B in Canada and all of our rooms had sleep numbers. The guests loved them.

Edited by iceleven

We have called ahead, way ahead, staying in a suite for 30 days. You would think the mattresseses were at least good for the $$ you pay. They were terrible, a hole in the middle. Even calling ahead made no difference. Princess needs to address this.

We have just been on three Princess ships in the past two months. In our cabins, the best mattresses by far were on the Grand Princess. The Pacific Princess had fairly decent mattresses, and mine on the Caribbean Princess was okay but DH's was really bad until it was changed out and then it was almost okay. He rolled up a pool towel and put it under the mattress on one side where it was pretty broken down.

Pillows were best on the Caribbean Princess and worst on the Pacific Princess (which just goes to prove you can't have it all).

Just as bad were the sheets with the holes in them and comforters with all the fluffing bunched together like a tennis ball on the Caribbean Princess.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo