Royal Caribbean "Vacation Protection" Insurance - Just bought it

Toddcan

I've never bought travel insurance before (tsk tsk). Now, don't go all crazy on me - we have private health insurance that covers evac, foreign medical treatment, including expenses, so I am covered on the health portion.

But, today, I noticed a price drop (thank you to the website who shall not be named which tracks prices, and alerts, by email, of any price drops!!), so I called RC, and grabbed the reduction. While I was on the phone, he asked me about travel insurance.

I ended up buying Royal's travel protection, which covers a 100% cash refund for our cruise should we have to cancel for health reasons, or the health reasons of various family members, blah blah blah. It also covers "Cancel for any reason" of 75% in the form of a future cruise credit.

$59 per person. Sounded reasonable to me, so I bought it.

I've read several threads on travel insurance, and they mainly focus on BOTH health and cancellation coverage. So, did I overpay at $59pp for the cancellation insurance? Seems about right to me, but I suspect someone will post that I could have insured with ABCcoverage for a lot less?

The total cost of our cruise (2 cabins) is just shy of $3,000. $240 insurance seems about right?

Question though: We have prepaid gratuities, as well as bought excursions. I understand that I can cancel excursions up to the day before and get a refund, but what about pre-paid gratuities - refunded? I assume I am also refunded all taxes, and port fees?

Sorry for all the questions - I only thought of them after hanging up the phone :)

Edited by Toddcan

I've never bought travel insurance before (tsk tsk). Now, don't go all crazy on me - we have private health insurance that covers evac, foreign medical treatment, including expenses, so I am covered on the health portion.

But, today, I noticed a price drop (thank you to the website who shall not be named which tracks prices, and alerts, by email, of any price drops!!), so I called RC, and grabbed the reduction. While I was on the phone, he asked me about travel insurance.

I ended up buying Royal's travel protection, which covers a 100% cash refund for our cruise should we have to cancel for health reasons, or the health reasons of various family members, blah blah blah. It also covers "Cancel for any reason" of 75% in the form of a future cruise credit.

$59 per person. Sounded reasonable to me, so I bought it.

I've read several threads on travel insurance, and they mainly focus on BOTH health and cancellation coverage. So, did I overpay at $59pp for the cancellation insurance? Seems about right to me, but I suspect someone will post that I could have insured with ABCcoverage for a lot less?

The total cost of our cruise (2 cabins) is just shy of $3,000. $240 insurance seems about right?

Question though: We have prepaid gratuities, as well as bought excursions. I understand that I can cancel excursions up to the day before and get a refund, but what about pre-paid gratuities - refunded? I assume I am also refunded all taxes, and port fees?

Sorry for all the questions - I only thought of them after hanging up the phone :)

Travel Insurance is a very personal and tricky subject for everyone.

Royal’s insurance sounds descent for cancellation. But the coverage for medical and things such as “Trip Interruption” seem very, very low.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

(page 3 lists the policy max for each situation)

We’ve always purchased insurance through a third party travel insurance provider (our TA has always insisted third party insurance not the policy the cruise lines sell) and it wasn’t until we needed to use our travel insurance that we realized just how little Royal’s Policy covers. (And the policy we purchased from a travel insurance company was actually LESS than Royal’s and covered far more).

If you look back at my posting history you’ll see I was posting live from Radiance in Alaska this past May until that cruise came to a sudden and expensive end in Juneau. For some time I keep meaning to finish a post I had been working on showing just how expensive a situation becomes when you need cut your vacation short. And just how little Royal’s policy would have covered of our expenses. The reason I wanted to work on that posting is a hospital social worker asked me if we had “Good” travel insurance or the “stuff the cruise lines sell.”

Personally my recommendation would be to google, “trip insurance comparison” and take a look at some of the sites that offer quotes and comparisons of the policies from various third party travel insurance providers.

I was always told to buy 3rd party insurance protection from places like Travelguard. Not that RCI is going belly up anytime soon but if the provider of "protection" is also the provider of travel, if that company goes bust, so does your money... protection or no. Regarding your medical insurance, make sure it also covers medical evacuation...

Royal’s insurance sounds descent for cancellation. But the coverage for medical and things such as “Trip Interruption” seem very, very low.

We’ve always purchased insurance through a third party travel insurance provider (our TA has always insisted third party insurance not the policy the cruise lines sell) and it wasn’t until we needed to use our travel insurance that we realized just how little Royal’s Policy covers. (And the policy we purchased from a travel insurance company was actually LESS than Royal’s and covered far more).

If you look back at my posting history you’ll see I was posting live from Radiance in Alaska this past May until that cruise came to a sudden and expensive end in Juneau. For some time I keep meaning to finish a post I had been working on showing just how expensive a situation becomes when you need cut your vacation short. And just how little Royal’s policy would have covered of our expenses. The reason I wanted to work on that posting is a hospital social worker asked me if we had “Good” travel insurance or the “stuff the cruise lines sell.”

Personally my recommendation would be to google, “trip insurance comparison” and take a look at some of the sites that offer quotes and comparisons of the policies from various third party travel insurance providers.

Bradpole, I know your time is valuable but I would love to hear the rest of your story. It would likely be doing a service for other travelers as well. You don't have to be 100% detailed... perfection is the enemy of getting things done!

Not that RCI is going belly up anytime soon but if the provider of "protection" is also the provider of travel, if that company goes bust, so does your money... ...

That simply is not the case :) RCI uses Berkeley for "their" travel insurance policies which IS a 3rd party insurance and in no way owned by RCI. I always purchase this plan because I like their cancel for any reason policy.

I already have health insurance that covers me fully out of the country and includes medivac.

Edited by ryano

Bradpole, I know your time is valuable but I would love to hear the rest of your story. It would likely be doing a service for other travelers as well. You don't have to be 100% detailed... perfection is the enemy of getting things done!

Wanting to help others is why I initially set in motion trying to type out a post with the outcome,

Wanting be 100% accurate, and the fact the claims process has been Glacially SLLLOOWW has kept me from posting our outcome. Thankfully we got our last expense reimbursed last week so perhaps this will give me some more motivation to finish up!

I purchase insurance for "big" cruises and cruises out of ports that require flights, and skip it for the shorter, Florida cruises. I have two major medical plans (through my employer and as the surviving spouse of a federal retiree), so I don't care about the medical coverage. I actually used the insurance last month, much to my surprise. While we were in Bermuda on the Enchantment, DH jumped into the water with my 11-month-old, $350 camera in his bathing suit pocket :(. We sent it back to Canon, where it was declared unrepairable and they sold us a new one for the price of a repair, $123. Berkeley is refunding the $123, which amazes me since DH was at fault. Filing the claim was easy and they responded very quickly. I received an email last Thursday advising that they would mail a check within two working days. Unfortunately, they are located in New York, so the check (very understandably) has been delayed. In any case, I am quite impressed with the insurance.

Bradpole,

I have excellent health insurance already which includes evacuation coverage. It covers expenses incurred while being treated out of country - even accomodations, car rental, and daily food. So, I am not concerned about the health coverage portion.

I only bought it for the trip cancellation/interruption coverage. I don't want to lose my cruise money should I have to cancel

• 4 years later...

I am doing a 5 night Caribbean cruise in Dec. My question is, on the whole do you think Is it worth taking out the cruise insurance for such a short trip? I only paid just over $700 for the cruise...? RCL insurance is $59. I guess it would be worth it for cancelation? Thanks for any advice, I have to pay in full and make my decision in 3 days time.

I am doing a 5 night Caribbean cruise in Dec. My question is, on the whole do you think Is it worth taking out the cruise insurance for such a short trip? I only paid just over $700 for the cruise...? RCL insurance is $59. I guess it would be worth it for cancelation? Thanks for any advice, I have to pay in full and make my decision in 3 days time.

It would be worth it to me. I want that medical evacuation coverage.

I posted the following information on another thread. For many people, it could amount to a real saving and peace of mind:

Travel Evacuation Insurance: Consider purchasing a yearly policy from Diver Alert Network. It's $50 (or maybe $55.00) A YEAR for a couple. Coverage is excellent; I know because the friend who told me about it used it in Tahiti once when her husband was hospitalized almost two weeks there and once in the Phillipines when he was hospitalized there. She said the insurance people coordinated every day with the doctors in order to determine when it would be safe to fly him home, flew them both back 1st class when the time came, AND flew a doctor with them because her husband's health was precarious. Coverage is good if you are 50 miles or more from home, so it's useful to have even in the U.S.

If you do decide it's worth investigating, go to their site--but do NOT look at their insurance policies. The insurance policies are for diving, not just trip evacuation. In order to get the trip evacuation insurance for $50-$55 (don't remember the exact amount) per COUPLE for the YEAR, you simply sign up for membership; the $50 is for a couple membership; there is NO additional charge for the evacuation insurance. The trip evacuation insurance is a by-product of being a member. They have a magazine with pretty pictures that you'll get, and in a few weeks, they will send you your insurance card.

It sounds too good to be true, I know, but it is true, and my friend is the proof.

wow Pstreet12 that's great to know, thanks! I went ahead and did a check on what a multi-trip annual would cost and its $261 which is still dirt cheap considering I took a 7 week trip to Australia and New Zealand last year and the travel insurance cost me $561 for just this one trip. So I think what you are saying is not to take out the insurance, but just become a member? I am solo, lost Peter 5 years ago, in my mid-60's so obviously not a diver, do you think I could still be able to join and get the travel protection advantages? thanks so much for your input :-)

Yes, in fact an individual membership is cheaper than a "family" membership. You'll save a bundle over most companies evacuation insurance-----but remember this is just for medical evacuation, not for trip cancellation. Just join Divers' Alert Network and the medical evacuation is just a byproduct of joining. Nice. : )

I always buy insurance due to age, family issues, etc. What you need to do is consider the reasons you might cancel a cruise, and then buy the best policy that covers those reasons. For example, we are cruising with my Navy son and his family. There is always a chance (especially today) that his Leave could get cancelled. So we have a policy that will allow all of us to cancel if his Leave is revoked by his Command. I often use RCCL Insurance as I will only cancel for illness or death in the family, both covered. But since I went on Medicare, I need to also look at Medical, so that becomes an issue. I do have TRICARE so I am covered while out of the country, but still consider Medical and Medical Evacuation (thanks for the info PStreet 12 on Diver Alert Network). One thing about RCCL's Insurance, you can take it out anytime, so I always wait until Final Payment, and you get the 75% Cancel for Any Reason clause. Also if you do opt for it, it can (I believe) be cancelled anytime prior to Final Payment, so if you cancel the cruise you don't lose your premium.

But there are lots of policies out there. For me, it would WELL be worth $240 to protect a $3000 investment. There was a post a few years ago about someone who answered "yes" on the Medical Questionaire that you fill out at the port and were denied boarding. And there's lots of stories on here about people without insurance who get sick or have a family member who dies and they complain that RCCL won't refund their cruise. I read one about someone who was pregnant and wanted to cancel at the last minute due to Zika Virus and were angry that RCCL wouldn't refund their non-insured cruise. So, personal choice. But make sure you know what you are covering or not covering and the rules of the cruise line.

Thanks so much for your response, those are all very valid explanations. I only paid $680 for the cruise but I agree its still a loss so I have decided to take out the cruise insurance with royal caribbean as this is just a 5 days cruise, however in the future (I do the transatlantic each year) I am going to join the Diver membership for their coverage on medical evacuation as Royal's coverage is very low on this, Thanks for your very helpful insights and input everyone :)

Our first cruise I didn't even consider insurance and saw 3 people taken off the ship for medical emergencies. :eek: After that, I started buying it. It paid off handsomely in 2009 when we had a southern Caribbean B2B in a GS for our 25th anniversary. My blood pressure tanked and I smashed my eye on the corner of the bathroom counter breaking it open. :o We were all set to go and the doctors wanted to operate again one week before we were to leave and I would not have been able to fly. Knowing now what I know, I should have told them I'm going on a trip of a lifetime but at the time I was trying to save my eyesight. Didn't happen. But we got back every dime we paid for the cruise, flights, hotels, etc. Nearly $10,000 so it was well worth it.

I would do it, not so much for cancellation but for medical evacuation. That's the part that worries me.

We did a 5 night cruise in February. I bought the insurance through a third party. It was $50 each for my husband and me, the kids were free.

Look into the various options. Our first cruise we used a third party vendor (not sure about CC policy on insurance vendors being named). They had about 8 different policies. Coverage for wife and I (late 50s) was less than RCI with a lot higher limits.

But for my parents (87 at the time), the insurance quote was almost as much as the cruise. RCI insurance is the same price no matter what. So we insured them under the RCI insurance.

My Mother had a serious issue in Halifx and had to be med evaced. RCI limit was $25,000. Price quoted was $29,000 from Halifax to DC. But the air ambulance company accepted the $25,000 insurance reimbursement.

For medical evacuation insurance, I like MediJet. They have various plans and will med evac you to your hospital of choice any time you are more than 150 miles from home.

That simply is not the case :) RCI uses Berkeley for "their" travel insurance policies which IS a 3rd party insurance and in no way owned by RCI. I always purchase this plan because I like their cancel for any reason policy.

I already have health insurance that covers me fully out of the country and includes medivac.

So just clarifying..Berkeley allows you to cancel for any reason? I didn't see that in the royal Caribbean vacation travel protection brochure. Seems only for certain reasons?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCC_Version_4_9-2015.pdf

So just clarifying..Berkeley allows you to cancel for any reason? I didn't see that in the royal Caribbean vacation travel protection brochure. Seems only for certain reasons?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCC_Version_4_9-2015.pdf

Royal's insurance allows cancel for any reason, however they only provide a 75% credit for a future cruise that expires in a year.