Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

Hmm..... this is interesting! You would think they could update the website if it went into effect today. But I just checked, and it's not updated.

it can honestly take a week to re write the coding/program to reflect any changes. and that's if there are no user errors. not everyone sets it up to go live ahead of time( and it's possible Sandy disrupted things anyway)

The total cost of the bottle is reduced significantly if you bring a 1.5 litre bottle, which is allowed. $$ for wine plus $25 corkage divided by 2 (750 ml) usually equals much less than any 750 ml bottle of wine purchased on board for consumption in the MDR.

People flying should buy the wine just before boarding the ship. I bring an extra little bag to put it in and carry it on board.

I can't ever remember Celebrity allowing purchase of liquor in duty free and allowing it back to the cabin immediately....it is usually delivered the last night.

Jackie and I are sailing on Explorer (we hope) on Sunday, as long as we can get from EWR to the pier! This is great news for us.....the best I've had so far this morning!

Sheila.

it can honestly take a week to re write the coding/program to reflect any changes. and that's if there are no user errors. not everyone sets it up to go live ahead of time( and it's possible Sandy disrupted things anyway)

Truth be told, it can take WAY longer than anyone could imagine for them to reflect changes. On our upcoming March Allure cruise, the Rita's Fiesta for night one is missing in the online booking for specialty reservations, as is lunch at Giovanni's for other slots. I called and was able to book those dates and times over the phone and was told that it was a "glitch" in their online booking system and that those dates and times for both venues would soon appear on the website.... it's been weeks and they are not there yet. So, I would advice against any breath holding for the website to change... unless you like the color blue :p;)

When we started cruising in 1994, you most definitely could buy a bottle of alcohol in the ship's store and take it to your cabin. They charged $10 more per bottle for the one for your cabin, others were held until the last night at the regular price. Also, in the old days, the Royal Suite was stocked with 5 different bottles of alcohol:eek:. One free water now (as recently as Sept, 2012):(. Wish we didn't have to fly to all the ports (except NO).

One would think they would have their ducks in a row before implementing a policy change. The FAQ changes are just text changes. They would have a pretty crappy system if it required actual programming changes. Sandy could be a reason for the delay.

YEA!!!!!!!:D:D:D

ABSOLUTELY MADE MY DAY!!!!

I can't wait to tell the friends we are sailing with. I think we will likely bring 1 bottle wine and 1 bottle champagne. And we usually always have a corkscrew anyway so no problem there. There's something special about champagne on the balcony!

I think this is a WONDERFUL policy change! My DH was actually encouraging us booking the upcoming caribbean with Carnival only because you could bring on wine and order liquor from bon voyage. We ended up booking with RCCL due to itinerary for the dates we needed.

I actually think this may get them some business!

This is a really really good thing. Total Wine will be doing alot of business :)

Hey Janet..visited Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale last month for the first time. No need to before since I could not take the wine onboard. Good news!!!

Ok so bad news guys, I made two calls to RCCL and both people said the the corkage fee is everywhere, including for room consumption. That completely contradicts what they said yesterday.

It seems to me like no one knows anything at this point. Maybe someone boarding today can confirm.

Ok so bad news guys, I made two calls to RCCL and both people said the the corkage fee is everywhere, including for room consumption. That completely contradicts what they said yesterday.

It seems to me like no one knows anything at this point. Maybe someone boarding today can confirm.

Not surprised.

I would expect things will be a little "bumpy" for the next few weeks as port agents become aware, supporting processes developed, etc. Hopefully, they have been training crew and support staff on new procedures before now. Otherwise, it will be an interesting weekend.

Could be a policy similar to NCL. They charge a corkage fee to bring it on board. I believe it is around $15 - and there was no limit as to total number of bottles. You prepaid the corkage fee and a sticker was put on the bottle.

Anxiously awaiting the official word..........

Edited by MS52

That's weird, how would they collect it? Your carryon is scanned before you get your seapass card to pay for stuff. They would have to have someone there writing down cabin numbers to bill or expect your cabin steward to charge you for any bottles they notice. Hard for them to know if didn't bring back the rest of your bottle from dinner if they don't find it the first day.

Aside from website programming to update the rules page; they could easily update the blog with the new policy.

This is good news.. But this could cut into the rum runner business, now you just need a nice dark red wine bottle and a cork..

I was thinking the same thing..............Hopefully it will not come to smuggling liquor in wine bottles......But what ever it takes.

I wonder how they are going to enforce the new rule.....Will we have to bring it on as carry on and be subject to inspection at the pier or will RCi allow it in checked bags....

Seems like a nightmare for them to have to look in every checked bag to determine what is wine and what may be hard liquor.

This should be interesting......

They will really take away the PR advantage for this if they really do charge 25 per bottle brought onboard. It will be looked at as something only rich people who drink 75+ bottles of wine will use. Then the comparisons to other lines that allow a couple of bottles for "free" will start (continue).

Allowing 2 bottles per cabin makes RCCL seem more reasonable and less uptight. Charging 25 per bottle when not taken to dining room makes it look like another money grab.

What happens if you pour out the wine, pour in something a little bit stronger and re-cork and seal the bottle?

Unless you have a corking tool, fresh corks and new capping material, it is impossible to de-cork and then re-cork a wine bottle without leaving the hole from the corkscrew clearly visible. You could reverse the cork, but the tannins in red wine turn the inside end red. Even on white wines, if you can smell the wine on the cork, it has been inverted. Not that no one will try, but detection is easy.

Unless you have a corking tool, fresh corks and new capping material, it is impossible to de-cork and then re-cork a wine bottle without leaving the hole from the corkscrew clearly visible. You could reverse the cork, but the tannins in red wine turn the inside end red. Even on white wines, if you can smell the wine on the cork, it has been inverted. Not that no one will try, but detection is easy.

Sure but what about homemade wine? or a wine bottle that is half full?

Are they goning to request you uncork it so they can smell it or shake it to death to inspect it?

You could use a "butler's friend" corkscrew to remove and replace the cork without leaving a hole.

I'm not saying it should be used to replace the contents, but it comes in handy if you want to save some of the bottle for another time.

All I would say is that the .co.uk site looks pretty clear on this. It states (and this is me copying and pasting to make sure I don't misquote:

If a guest wishes to consume these in any dining venue or bar/lounge, there is a corkage fee of 25USD per bottle.

So corkage only applies when you try to consume in these areas.

All I would say is that the .co.uk site looks pretty clear on this. It states (and this is me copying and pasting to make sure I don't misquote:

If a guest wishes to consume these in any dining venue or bar/lounge, there is a corkage fee of 25USD per bottle.

So corkage only applies when you try to consume in these areas.

This appears the case..............time will tell.

I'll just continue to drink Le Terrible until then