Where to put grown son?

Aqua's Mom

We are booked in an aft VA on the Zuiderdam for the Christmas cruise. Our grown son has suddenly come up with no place to go and nobody to be with on Christmas (bad separation story....). Thinking of inviting him along:(:(:(. If we change to another VA, what are the sleeping arrangements for a 3rd person? If we bite the bullet and go up to an SY, would that be more comfortable for all. (So much for the romantic voyage). Thanks for your help.

If he is comig along with you, first thing you have to do is call Hal or your TA and get him added as a third person to your reservation. There will be a fee for that, because you are past finally payment changing cabins could be a problem. Don't know how full the ship is and how hard it will be to change rooms and catagories. Just get him added and then worry about the other issues.

If you can, I would go up to an SY for more space, especially having a grown son with you.

It's not that simple that you'll decide to ask him along.

There is a finite number of guests the ship can book regardless there is a spare pull out bed in your cabin or not.

The sooner you check with HAL about having your son come, the better.

The ships are usually filled for the holidays.

Good luck.

You do not want your grown son in a VA cabin with you. We did this with our son when he was 17 and it was really tight. The pull out sofa bed was also very uncomfortable for him as he is big.

We had an SY the following year and that was much better. The cabin seemed so much larger. I actually slept on the sofa bed myself as it was a little too short for my son at 6 ft. It was very comfortable as it flips over rather than pulls out and feels like a real single bed.

I looked at prices for you cruise and it looks like the SY cabins are a VERY good price right now and the third person is also only $199. You should call ASAP if that is what you want to do.

Another option is just to get him his own cabin. It looks like there are outsides available, but of course you'll have to pay the supplement. If we ever travel with our son again though, this is what I would do. We want our cabin to ourselves now:)

Aqua's Mom - we were booked in a VA aft on the Zuiderdam - cabin 7101 - and I don't think these cabins are rated for triples. I shared with my father so we had a twin bed configuration and the sofa was small, like 2 people could barely fit on it. I fiddled with it for a bit trying to figure out if it pulled out but I couldn't get the sucker to budge. No one could lie down on it unless they were maybe 4' or shorter. In my opinion that room is not comfortable for more than 2 people.

I have slept on the sofa bed on the Zaandam in a deluxe veranda suite and the sofa was big, 3 people could easily sit on it. It didn't pull out but it flipped somehow into a single bed. I'm 5' and it fit me but it wasn't very comfortable. It had a definite downhill tilt to it - towards the floor not the wall. The mattress is nowhere near as nice as the beds.

This link has photos I took in Zuiderdam 7101. You have to scroll nearly to the bottom to see them. http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/Deck-7.html

Were it me.... if he couldn't afford to pay his own way (in an inside if necessary) I'd leave him home to fend for himself. Can't see dramatically changing what you had hoped to be an enjoyable couple's cruise just so that he won't be alone on Christmas. (and surely he has friends or relatives of some ilk that would include him anyway)

Maybe a generational thing (as I'm less than 30 days short of 65) but I left home at 18 and never looked back. I think part of the problem w/ the country today is that far too many parents are providing a fall back position for kids who ought to be figuring a path thru life on their own.

JMHO and I'm CERTAIN that there are many who will disagree.

(and I do have a 32 yr old who gives me fits at times.. but my standard advice is "you got there.. what you gonna do to get out?")

We are booked in an aft VA on the Zuiderdam for the Christmas cruise. Our grown son has suddenly come up with no place to go and nobody to be with on Christmas (bad separation story....). Thinking of inviting him along:(:(:(. If we change to another VA' date=' what are the sleeping arrangements for a 3rd person? If we bite the bullet and go up to an SY, would that be more comfortable for all. (So much for the romantic voyage). Thanks for your help.[/quote']

this happened to my sister... my parents booked her her own inside cabin (on a different line) and it worked out well a week or so before the departure date... my daughter and i did the same thing too earlier this year, we got (literally) the last room onboard (booked 2 days in advance) for an insane cheap price for an inside. first, you should call the line or your TA and ask how much it would be to add your son, or how much it would be to get an inside cabin for him.

Were it me.... if he couldn't afford to pay his own way (in an inside if necessary) I'd leave him home to fend for himself. Can't see dramatically changing what you had hoped to be an enjoyable couple's cruise just so that he won't be alone on Christmas. (and surely he has friends or relatives of some ilk that would include him anyway)

Maybe a generational thing (as I'm less than 30 days short of 65) but I left home at 18 and never looked back. I think part of the problem w/ the country today is that far too many parents are providing a fall back position for kids who ought to be figuring a path thru life on their own.

(and I do have a 32 yr old who gives me fits at times.. but my standard advice is "you got there.. what you gonna do to get out?")

I gotta agree with this....He's grown...and yes...it's Christmas...but sooner or later kids have got to learn how to handle tough times on their own....you & your husband deserve to have the cruise you planned for...not be stuffed 3 in a cabin for how many days...

We are booked in an aft VA on the Zuiderdam for the Christmas cruise. Our grown son has suddenly come up with no place to go and nobody to be with on Christmas (bad separation story....). Thinking of inviting him along:(:(:(. If we change to another VA' date=' what are the sleeping arrangements for a 3rd person? If we bite the bullet and go up to an SY, would that be more comfortable for all. (So much for the romantic voyage). Thanks for your help.[/quote']

Wanna adopt another son?;)

The husband & I are in our mid-late 40s. If my parents had travel plans just for themselves over the holidays (i.e., romantic), there is NO situation in which I can possibly imagine asking to join in. None. :eek: (His folks don't travel :confused: ).

John & I both have siblings, cousins, aunts & uncles, & friends that we would call upon to share those days. These are the same people we normally see during the holidays. And vice-versa: if we anyone in our circles was spending the holidays alone, we would extend an invite to join us at whichever crazy family member was hosting. One more at table makes no difference - the more the merrier. :)

Finally someone who gets it!! Thank you for sharing! :D

I think some here are missing what Christmas is all about. Would you want to be alone for the holidays? Some of these comments are very mean. Jesus tells us to love one another, and to do to one another as we would have done to ourselves.

To many people making statements about a situation they know next to nothing about. If his parents want to ensure he has company and can afford the gift, let em. If he can afford the cabin, let him. That said, I would want my son in a separate cabin, two people can be crowded, more than that I couldn't tolerate, young or grown.

This isn't a matter of independence it is a matter of he was seperated either by breaking up with another, divorce or death or some other reason (bad seperation story).

Some are acting like he can't or won't take care of himself.

My prayers go out to you both and to your son. I hope you can make arrangements so all of you can enjoy your Christmas.

Merry Christmas and a Happier New Year.

Archived