Shame on HAL

santa fe

Just disembark from Prinsendam (TATL from Civitavecchia) heard from 2 different steward that during the drydock in the Bahamas that they have to work for free during these two weeks.

There will be 700 workers that will stay on board and they will have to take care of them for room and board only...that is close to slavery.:mad:

Just disembark from Prinsendam (TATL from Civitavecchia) heard from 2 different steward that during the drydock in the Bahamas that they have to work for free during these two weeks.

There will be 700 workers that will stay on board and they will have to take care of them for room and board only...that is close to slavery.:mad:

You got bad info Santa Fe:cool: The ship's crew during drydock is, and remains, under contract and, as such, is receiving their regular pay. There is no question drydock means hard work for everyone but there is no stoppage of pay checks just because the vessel is in a drydock!

The only thing that changes is the service charge/tips. There are no paying passengers on board during a drydock so the guys like the room and restaurant stewards, the laundry guys, the beverage staff, etc. don't get the extra service charge/tip money. they would get on a regular run

So rest asure, no half naked big guy dressed in a loin cloth and wearing an eye patch beating a big drum and cracking a whip during drydock

Oh yeah, contrary to popular belief and rumor control, the crew gets time off at night and many hit the local town

You got bad info Santa Fe:cool: The ship's crew during drydock is, and remains, under contract and, as such, is receiving their regular pay. There is no question drydock means hard work for everyone but there is no stoppage of pay checks just because the vessel is in a drydock!

The only thing that changes is the service charge/tips. There are no paying passengers on board during a drydock so the guys like the room and restaurant stewards, the laundry guys, the beverage staff, etc. don't get the extra service charge/tip money. they would get on a regular run

So rest asure, no half naked big guy dressed in a loin cloth and wearing an eye patch beating a big drum and cracking a whip during drydock

Oh yeah, contrary to popular belief and rumor control, the crew gets time off at night and many hit the local town

John, thank you for the very clear explanation. Sometimes how different people process what is said is very interesting.

I used to carry a quote with me that sums it up nicely -"I know you think you heard what I said, but what you understood is not what I meant"

You got bad info Santa Fe:cool:

I got the info. from two different crew member and one of them mentionned that this happen only with HAL !!!

I believe that their main salary comes from tips, I wonder what their basic salary is, without tip ???

You got bad info Santa Fe:cool:

I got the info. from two different crew member and one of them mentionned that this happen only with HAL !!!

I believe that their main salary comes from tips, I wonder what their basic salary is, without tip ???

Their base salary is their main salary! It does not come from tips!

There have been many threads explaining that most, if not all cruise lines follow a standard industry contract, where salaries for for assistant waiters and other entry positions start around $12-1400/month, and senior waiters, cabin stewards and similar positions top out around $3000/month.

Can't answer on how room, board and other necessities are calculated in, but I believe the crew pays very little for these things. if anything.

Thanks for clearing this up John. You know, I'd kind of like to see a half naked big guy dressed in a loin cloth, etc. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see several of them cracking a whip at the passengers who drag their butts to the emergency drill.:D

I got the info. from two crew member, directly involve so i do not considere this as rumor.

It's a rumor because you did not have the straight facts, due to a lack of understanding as to how they are paid.

It is quite possible that the two crew members actually said that, even if it is not true, in an effort to get sante fe to leave a bigger tip -- it does happen!

Just curious, where these two individuals you heard it from TOGETHER when you were told?

Thanks John for clearing it up for us. I wonder if a story like this is being told to obtain more tips? Just sayin......could happen

Tampagirl are you sure you're not a NY Girl deep down?;)

Just curious, where these two individuals you heard it from TOGETHER when you were told?

Thanks John for clearing it up for us. I wonder if a story like this is being told to obtain more tips? Just sayin......could happen

If you consider Rochester to be NY, then, yes! And, re the possibility of more tips, what a thought . . .

If you consider Rochester to be New York, then, yes!

Re the possibility of more tips, what a thought . . .

They were not together, the first one in the MDR, after I wish him a good vacation in the Bahamas during dry dock, said it won't be a vacation since they will be working for no salaries during these two weeks.

The other one, a cabin steward said there would be 700 workers on board that they have to take care of, without being paid and mentionned that only HAL is doing this, now I know its not very professional from them to talk to customers about their problems but it might comes from frustration or to gain a bigger tip I don't know...so this comes from two different people, from two different services I have no doubt that there is some truth to that and I think it is a sad situation.

Sorry if I disturb a few cheerleaders.

Archived