Fascinating Email Sent To Some 02DEC Glory Passengers

VibeGuy

Actually, on this, I kinda agree with Carnival. I dont see this as a gay / lesbian issue. More as a "Lets keep the ship a family friendly atmosphere" for the rest of the passengers that knew nothing about your group when they booked....

Just my opinion, i could be wrong...

The reason this is discrimination is because Carnival is singling out this manner of dress as not "family friendly," when they clearly turn a blind eye (or at least don't send reminder emails about it) to other behavior and dress that many people would classify as not family friendly. See the pictures above for one example.

This group is definitely being singled out.

OP can be as appauled as he/she want to be as a stock holder. I applaud Carnival's forsight and as a stockholder/owner of Carnival I hope management continues to keep the "fun ships" family friendly.

Oh, Brother! What about the little rug rats that run up and down the hall ways knocking on people's doors? Do their parents get letters too? The funny part is, most kids wouldnt's recognize someone in drag. children are much more accepting of others than adults are!;)

Pat

Actually, on this, I kinda agree with Carnival. I dont see this as a gay / lesbian issue. More as a "Lets keep the ship a family friendly atmosphere" for the rest of the passengers that knew nothing about your group when they booked....

Just my opinion, i could be wrong...

I agree!

The reason this is discrimination is because Carnival is singling out this manner of dress as not "family friendly," when they clearly turn a blind eye (or at least don't send reminder emails about it) to other behavior and dress that many people would classify as not family friendly. See the pictures above for one example.

This group is definitely being singled out.

Thats not descrimination. Double standard maybe.

There is no protection to be in Drag in any descrimination laws, anywhere that I am aware of... In fast, they ARE allowing the group on board.

Like it or not, the majority of the ship is most likely NOT in your group and had no clue that this group would be on board when they booked. How is that fair to them?

I personally wouldnt mind the group, however... Its not fair that ANYONE feel akward during their vacation, because your group is on board.

Its your option to dress in Drag, and if you have the nerve (I wouldnt, but id make one ugly woman lol) I applaud you. But others that may not agree with it, should not be forced to be exposed to it.

Like it or not, its not like dressing in drag is the "norm" in society, even in the Gay and Lesbian community.

The reality is, its Carnival's ship. While i dont agree with many of their policies, they have to protect what they see as their investment. This may mean not causing the majority of people to not come back, so they can allow one group to act outside society's "Norm".

Perhaps, you should be greatful that they are allowing you to use the lounge at all? I mean if you ll went to Nashville for vacation, I dount the "Grand Ole Opry" would let you at all...

Again, just my 2 cents... I could be wrong...

On one of my MSC cruises we had a large gay group (and we were a group of over 100 Baby Boomer Singles LOL)

we all had a good time

one night the guys had a "uniform" night : think Village People, cops,

cowboys, sailors, motorcycle gear LOL

another night they were ...."elegant">> some in tuxes, some in evening gowns. There were a few who must have been seasoned impersonators, and had the whole Marilyn/Cher/Beyonce gig going on. We had a good time with them, got pictures of some in my group with them really cute pictures

I was also on a cruise with Donny and Marie Osmond fans...now some of them were spooky...grown people clutching Marie's spooky lifelike baby dolls and crying over Donny haha

I have also heard of mainstream cruises where people had fun with a group of drag queens/transvestites or whatever...they enjoyed seeing what they would wear (not sure if they were gay or not, from what I understand some "straight" men like to dress up, maybe in their wives clothes?)

As long as they aren't showing their privates I don't see the harm..

the kids probably would just think they were very pretty /glamourous ladies

And yeah the letter sounds rude and over the top to me

Let me get this correctly..

The op got the letter because he/she is part of the group that will be attending the drag shows?

The op is appalled? Ok..he has that perogative

But since we all (hopefully) agree to be tolerant of others lifestyles.....just think something through...ok?

Could it be that Carnival has had issues in the past and felt the need to send out an advance warning so as to not have issues again? Could it be that Carnival is actually considering the entire ship's pax population? and is not going to allow one group to dominate the ship? Do we know how large this group is? Is it 200...400..1000 pax? or is it just a group of 50? Remember being tolerant means not infringing on others choices. But when some choices have been known to get boisterous and disturb the peace then that becomes intolerant...by those causing the noise...and then others have a right to complain.

Look I don't care what anyone wears, but as far as how any particular group acts if how they are acting interferes with others enjoyment of their vacation...that does concern me....

and I don't care if the group in question...are 2 year olds...senior citizens....religious sects....smokers...drinkers..gamblers...or green skinned aliens....if the group causes or has caused a problem..then it needs to be addressed...

this letter could have been addressed to parents of diaper wearing babies....smokers who want to smoke anywhere on the ship.....or those who want to fish off their balconies.

Carnival had a reason to send the email.....

I find this fascinating on the part of CCL, and as a stockholder in Carnival Corporation, I am appalled.

CARNIVAL GLORY

DECEMBER 2, 2012

November 26, 2012

Greetings Fun Seekers!

We know you are looking forward to your cruise next month. We're certainly looking forward to welcoming you and your group aboard the beautiful Carnival Glory.

There are lots of special activities planned for your group so we are confident you are going to have a great cruise. However, in order to ensure a fun and memorable time for everyone, we want to take a few moments to make you aware of certain policies and conduct expectations so as to avoid any potential disappointment during your cruise.

Carnival attracts a number of families with children and for this reason; we strive to present a family friendly atmosphere. It is important to us that all guests are comfortable with every aspect of the cruise. Although we realize this group consists solely of adults, we nonetheless expect all guests to recognize that minors are onboard and, refrain from engaging in inappropriate conduct in public areas.

Arrangements have been made for drag performances in the main theater featuring stars from LOGO TV. These functions will be private and only the performers are permitted to dress in drag while in the theater.
Guests are not allowed to dress in drag for the performances or in public areas at any time during the cruise.

We're sorry to say that any guest who violates our policies and/or whose behavior affects the comfort and enjoyment of other guests, will be disembarked at their own expense and no refund will be given.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Now that we've taken care of business...let the FUN begin!

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

This seems pretty draconian, frankly.

WOW! This is the appalling part - and to send this out 1 week before departure. They are definitely singling out one class of people!

I was on the singles cruise and trust me - there was some NOT family friendly activity going on there the no one stopped.

Very disappointed in Carnival - this is a very intolerant policy born out of ignorance.

WOW! This is the appalling part - and to send this out 1 week before departure. They are definitely singling out one class of people!

I was on the singles cruise and trust me - there was some NOT family friendly activity going on there the no one stopped.

Very disappointed in Carnival - this is a very intolerant policy born out of ignorance.

That cruise is probably why they sent that letter out......Dennis

Yes..the words are very harsh and in this day and age do seem just wrong...

but I have to think that for Carnival to take such a stance..knowing how it will come across......they must have had some horrible experiences on past cruises...and will consider the majority over the minority of pax? That makes sense...but one must be tolerant of others to undrstand the logic behind it. And that is not to disturb the vast majority on the ship. And I am sure that the vast majority on the ship come from all walks of life as well.

I find this fascinating on the part of CCL, and as a stockholder in Carnival Corporation, I am appalled.

CARNIVAL GLORY

DECEMBER 2, 2012

November 26, 2012

Greetings Fun Seekers!

We know you are looking forward to your cruise next month. We're certainly looking forward to welcoming you and your group aboard the beautiful Carnival Glory.

There are lots of special activities planned for your group so we are confident you are going to have a great cruise. However, in order to ensure a fun and memorable time for everyone, we want to take a few moments to make you aware of certain policies and conduct expectations so as to avoid any potential disappointment during your cruise.

Carnival attracts a number of families with children and for this reason; we strive to present a family friendly atmosphere. It is important to us that all guests are comfortable with every aspect of the cruise. Although we realize this group consists solely of adults, we nonetheless expect all guests to recognize that minors are onboard and, refrain from engaging in inappropriate conduct in public areas.

Arrangements have been made for drag performances in the main theater featuring stars from LOGO TV. These functions will be private and only the performers are permitted to dress in drag while in the theater. Guests are not allowed to dress in drag for the performances or in public areas at any time during the cruise.

We're sorry to say that any guest who violates our policies and/or whose behavior affects the comfort and enjoyment of other guests, will be disembarked at their own expense and no refund will be given.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Now that we've taken care of business...let the FUN begin!

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

This seems pretty draconian, frankly.

Is this real? They allowed your group to book and AFTER the fact impose some pretty harsh restrictions? I would think Carnival would welcome this group to show the ladies 'how it's done' on elegant night! ;) As long as dress is PG modest and private bathrooms are used so none of the female cruisers feel uncomfortable.... what's the big deal?

Is this real? They allowed your group to book and AFTER the fact impose some pretty harsh restrictions? I would think Carnival would welcome this group to show the ladies 'how it's done' on elegant night! ;) As long as dress is PG modest and private bathrooms are used so none of the female cruisers feel uncomfortable.... what's the big deal?

Bingo!!!!

It is the public bathroom issue that is the point I believe!!

No way can Carnival or any ship for that matter take the liability on.

Men dressed as women using the women's bathroom? Um no.....and that is not meant to be discriminatory...it is meant to be respectful to others using a public bathroom...there is a certain expected level of comfort to single sex bathrooms.

I am thinking that the group booked the cruise and Carnival took the booking without analyzing it carefully.

The entire ship should have been chartered.

1) I'm neither Pro nor Con on the e-mail decision, as it doesn't affect me in any fashion whatsoever.

2) Yet another oddly-timed (and worded) memo from Ms. Rey that makes me continue to realize she's someone who will forever wish she was as brilliant as a CCL predecessor by the same first name (who walked across the street, joined the competition, and never looked back). Some in the industry consider this current Vicky to be a somewhat dim bulb.

3) Athough he's not a passenger/guest . . . if John Heald (pictured here) were to attempt this himself onboard the mentioned sailing, I hope he'd have his passport handy for the flight home after being disembarked. :)

John%20as%20Dolly%202-L.jpg

Archived