Fun Question - If You Had Won Powerball What Would You Do?

voyager70

Two winners - after taxes appx. 185 million each. Would you continue to sail Royal/Celebrity & other mass market lines or would you go all luxury along the lines of Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea etc? Personally I would stick with the mass market but book the biggest suites available. Have a feeling the truly luxury lines are a bit snooty. Not my style. What so you think?

If I won the lottery, I'd do some major research first, hire an accountant, and go from there. I'd try to have it setup where I could live off just the interest for the rest of my life. Even if the amount was reduced to 100 million...4% would be 4 million a year...ok, I guess I can afford to cruise any line I'd want!

I'd go on some world cruises. Don't care what line. I'd also go on an Antarctic cruise. As for my downtime...I dunno...I could almost see myself living on a cruise ship. Even if I went all out and paid $10,000 per 7 day cruise (on average)...that's $520,000/yr...more than doable on my "meager" 4 million a year in interest. Yeah, I can see that...live on a mid-range cruise ship, planning my next "real" vacation.

Even if I went all out and paid $10,000 per 7 day cruise (on average)...that's $520,000/yr...more than doable on my "meager" 4 million a year in interest. Yeah, I can see that...live on a mid-range cruise ship, planning my next "real" vacation.

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!!!!!!!

I would change my phone number and disappear for about 6 months....because I expect relatives whom I haven't heard from to start appearing from the woodworks. In the interim, go on vacation....land and sea. After 6 months, become a philanthropist. I would do my best to change the lives of those who are less fortunate.

I would change my phone number and disappear for about 6 months....because I expect relatives whom I haven't heard from to start appearing from the woodworks. In the interim, go on vacation....land and sea. After 6 months, become a philanthropist. I would do my best to change the lives of those who are less fortunate.

First i'd contact all known family and ask to borrow some $ (a small amount, like $50 - $100) Those that loaned me the $$ would get rewarded handsomely... those that wouldn't... sucks to be them ;)

THEN I'd head to the airport, passport in hand and just randomly search the Departures board and hop on whatever flight I desired at the moment and hop on a cruise ship... hopefully making it to D+ by spring break season :P

I would also get the check and deposit the $$ in a checking account, take out $20 just to see the ATM receipt balance of $184,999,980.00 lol

Two winners - after taxes appx. 185 million each. Would you continue to sail Royal/Celebrity & other mass market lines or would you go all luxury along the lines of Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea etc? Personally I would stick with the mass market but book the biggest suites available. Have a feeling the truly luxury lines are a bit snooty. Not my style. What so you think?

Loyal to Royal:)

Quit working for money!!

Set up a charitable foundation with a sizable chunk, fund some college accounts for the grandnieces and nephews.

Hire a financial team to advise me on investments and taxes.

For cruising, I'd give the luxury lines a try. There are snooty people everywhere, and I'd do my best not to become one of them. Would book full suites on the mainstream lines.

And laugh with delight every day for the rest of my life.:D

I would consult financial experts for advice on how to invest the money and then use it wisely. A good chunk would be going to various charities I would like to support. Some would go to family members, just to make their life a little easier, for college, and to take some family trips.

I'm sure we would travel more and in a more upscale way. Business or first class flights, suites on cruises, etc. But, I am frugal at heart and don't really want to buy into the extravagant life style. We already have just about everything we truly need; I would never need to go the route of designer clothes and mansions, but probably I'd spend more freely than now. You know, the $25 shirt instead of the $10 shirt!

I think the worst part would be dealing with all those on the make who would come out of the woodwork and make life miserable.

Also, I'd probably buy a vacation home in a warm and lovely setting near the sea.

We'd do pretty much what most others says they'd do - stay low key, avoid as much publicity as possible, hire a financial advisor, spend a little, give a lot to worthy causes, help family members without giving so much that they lose incentive to do things for themselves.

I once read a good answer when someone asked why anyone would waste money on the almost impossible odds of winning the lottery - the answer was that it 'gave you the permission to dream'. Many of us have reached the age where we realize that 'what you have is what you're going to get' - no more annual raises (Social Security minimal increases don't count), no more inheritances, no more windfalls.....unless you win the lottery! It's likely that most of us here on Cruise Critic are much luckier than a large percentage of the world's population, but it's still nice to dream the big dreams.

We would travel more as my husband would definitely quit work. I would still work but I have a very flexible work schedule and have been gone as much as a month at a time with no problems.

If We won VERY big money, I would have a full-time driver as I don't like to drive.

We would give our present home (it is paid for) to a deserving friend who is a working single mom. We would then buy a little house in Perth, Australia and spend six months there and 6 months in Florida's cooler months. Actually, that is our plan with or without a lottery win. A big lottery windfall just moves the timetable up.

I'd certainly be in the Crown Loft suite, oh heck, I'd treat my family and friends to all the loft suites!

And...I'd certainly have a lot more booked...and try to build my points with Celebrity too, haven't cruise X yet.

But I might buy a vacation home on an island....mmmmm....now just which one??????

And Todd, we've been dreaming about that one for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KartGV....very astute. I can't remember how many times we've played the "what if" game of the lottery win..

I'd do the get a good lawyer, make charitable contributions, help family members route and then disappear on a cruise ship. I absolutely know I could live on a cruise ship for large extended periods of time and it wouldn't even have to be a big ship but preferably one with a Promenade. My stateroom would be a hump balcony.

My DH would come with me, of course, and we would also spend a lot of time in Barcelona (his favorite European city), Prague and Budapest (my two favorite European cities). We would cruise to every port that RCL offers and maybe end up in New Zealand for a while since we both fell in love with it when on our Australia/NZ cruise.

I hate to say this but we would probably ask our relatives to give us alone time and to only contact us in an emergency and that we'd do the checking back with them from time to time.

We'd be happy to let someone else take care of shoveling snow, mowing grass, battling moles, etc.

Oh, the dreams we all dream. The biggest problem for me is that to realize the above dream I would actually have to buy a lottery ticket!!!

First i'd contact all known family and ask to borrow some $ (a small amount, like $50 - $100) Those that loaned me the $$ would get rewarded handsomely... those that wouldn't... sucks to be them ;)

THEN I'd head to the airport, passport in hand and just randomly search the Departures board and hop on whatever flight I desired at the moment and hop on a cruise ship... hopefully making it to D+ by spring break season :P

I would also get the check and deposit the $$ in a checking account, take out $20 just to see the ATM receipt balance of $184,999,980.00 lol

Love the last quote of atm receipt

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors

Archived