Atomic Lobster (aka living on a cruise ship)

R_Judy

Am I the only one who thinks that there is NO way I could live on a cruise ship?

I would get bored. I would feel cramped. I would feel no real connection to anything.

Don't get me wrong - I love cruising, but the old saying is true.. "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"

Like I said; maybe I'm the only one.

Nope - you're not the only one. I LOVE cruising. We go once a year. I think I could handle 3 or 4 times a year :D. But, to live on a ship 365 days a year? I don't think I could do it. Maybe the thing to do would be to take a vacation AWAY from the ship. Spend a few weeks throughout the year doing land vacations.

Am I the only one who thinks that there is NO way I could live on a cruise ship?

I would get bored. I would feel cramped. I would feel no real connection to anything.

Don't get me wrong - I love cruising, but the old saying is true.. "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"

I've thought of that--but I think mostly t would just totally change the way you cruise.

I mean, if you really stop to think about it, most retirees do more or less the same thing week after week. Golf on Mondays. Coffee with friends on Wednesday, etc. And most of us really end up eating from the same 30 or so recipes most weeks at home.

If I lived on the ship, I'd probably go to the gym daily. I'd watch TV and movies (which I don;t really do now) and I would enjoy meeting new people and chatting with crew week after week as well.

The people I have met who do this on RCI do not stay on the same ship all year. They swap out every 4-12 weeks, allowing them to experience new shows, new crew and new ports.

Still, I am sure it s not for everyone--heck cruising on vacation is not for everyone :p

If I lived on the ship, I'd probably go to the gym daily. I'd watch TV and movies (which I don;t really do now) and I would enjoy meeting new people and chatting with crew week after week as well.

This would be an issue that a lot of people would find hard to deal with. TV programming on the ship is very limited. Sports and news is about all you'll get. No soap operas during the day. No sitcoms at night.

Same here.

I'd miss my kids. Miss my family

Miss my future grand-kids!!;)

My home, my yard, my garden, pets. Simple things like decorating the Home for holidays. Big family sitting down to a table, for a home cooked dinner!!! Simply-being a part of my family's lives!!

I would never want the ship to be home or feel like home. It's a vacation and always want it to feel that way.

Here's the last story that CC did on Super Mario:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/04/18/640-cruises-and-counting-tips-from-royal-caribbeans-most-loyal-passenger/

The financial ramifications are different for me as a Canadian since I would be out of the country for more than six months. However being the cruise equivalent of what we refer to as "snowbirds" and just cruising instead of spending the winter in Florida, hold some appeal... But I don't have to think about it for a few years yet.

Living on a cruise ship is on our bucket list. We have sat and figured out the small details that you take for granted....mail, bills, meds, etc.

We would choose a Radiance class ship because of the repositionings that happen. That way we can see different areas of the world.

Our only problem is our beloved dogs. Can't find a stroller big enough for our 2 golden retrievers. :eek:

I live in cape canaveral and I am always looking for a job at the port but never find one. I would love to do it on the weekends and send people off with a smile. And the little extra perks of working for royal Caribbean would be icing on the cake

Back in the 90s there was a woman who lived on QE2. She had sailed on it with her husband, and when he died she made an arrangement with Cunard. It was a small outside cabin that she stayed in. She only had to leave during dry docks.

If you want to live on a cruise ship, contact the cruise line and make a deal.

Very intrigued by the concept and have thought about it a lot. Liking the three months on, one month off plan. For the first 10 years of my parents' retirement they lived (and traveled) in a motorhome then 5th wheel trailer that were no bigger than a cruise ship cabin and they had to make their own meals.

Often wondered what side benefits there might be to knowing the staff and crew so well. Access (with officer permission) to areas not normally accessible. Or inside scoop on ship operational activities. And it could work both ways if personal realtionship with hotel side managers allowed sharing insights and feedback. Most end of cruise surveys are one point in time from different people but a "resident" could see changes over time from a passenger point of view. Sharing that sort of info could get a person and extra perk here and there - like perhaps complimentary specialty dining venue now and then or dining with Captain. Downside is I think formal nights would have to be a once every month or two thing or it would get old really quick.

Of course hitting Diamond+ and beyond on RCI would have a multitude of benefits and reduce some land based costs - such as for an evening drink and might even make a balcony not that much more than insides.

Since ports would not matter I would think the largest ships, like Oasis class, would have some advantages. More choices while staying onboard in ports.

The ultimate cruise retirement would be with ResidenSea's "The World" ship. Not saving any money that route but true living at sea.

Another downside, CD would have to DQ resident couples from Love & Marriage. :p They would memorize winning responses to questions.

A great trial run for the lifestyle would ba a B2B involving a Transatlantic. I knew some folks who did a B2B2B with last leg being TA back to their home in London. They had sold Miami condo and figured ship was a good as anywhere to live in the interim.

I recall a lady that had lived on Pacific Princess (I think Pacific, one of the Love Boats) for several years. When they sold the ship a year or two ago, she finally went into a nursing home. I'll have to find that story and post here.

We met a lady named Patty on Nordic Empress who had been on for 60 consecutive cruises from NYC to Bermuda. She lived in Manhattan and would go home each Sunday on turn around day and do her wash and whatever. Fast forward a few years and we ran into the Blairs (Cruise Director and wife) on Monarch out of Ft. Lauderdale. I asked about Patty since they had been on Nordic Empress with us. John said that she had done another 60 consecutives and when she reached 120 she moved over to Princess that sailed out of the next dock over in Manhattan. Reason for the move was that she was getting bored ;)

Living on a cruise ship is on our bucket list. We have sat and figured out the small details that you take for granted....mail, bills, meds, etc.

We would choose a Radiance class ship because of the repositionings that happen. That way we can see different areas of the world.

Our only problem is our beloved dogs. Can't find a stroller big enough for our 2 golden retrievers. :eek:

Very funny... Is one named Ralphie?::p

There will be no nursing home in my future.........

When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a

Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per

day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a

long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day.

That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the

restaurant, or I can have room service ( which means

I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a

workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free

soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a

patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff

scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to

have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything

and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't

even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip

you are on Medicare. If you fall and break a hip on the Princess

ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your

life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South

America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia,

or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to

go.

So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

P.S. And don't forget, when you die, they just dump

you over the side at no charge.

The best part about growing old is that welcome relief from being merely young."

There will be no nursing home in my future.........

When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a

Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per

day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a

long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day.

That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the

restaurant, or I can have room service ( which means

I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a

workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free

soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a

patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff

scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to

have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything

and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't

even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip

you are on Medicare. If you fall and break a hip on the Princess

ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your

life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South

America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia,

or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to

go.

So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

P.S. And don't forget, when you die, they just dump

you over the side at no charge.

The best part about growing old is that welcome relief from being merely young."

verbatim from www.snopes.com ;)

I did find the blog of a couple who did 10x10 day B2B on the Emerald Princess last year and, I think, are doing the same now. 100 days cruising. Rather than having a "winter" home in Florida, they just cruise during that time. I could see this being more my reality than living year round...and likely would cost about the same as having a winter home for those 3+ months. I've read through the first month of their trip last year and it sounds wonderful so far.

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2011_11_01_archive.html

I don't think I would do well living on a cruise ship. I get clastophobic and somewhat antsy when confined after a few days.

When I go to conferences that are in the same hotel where I'm staying I have to break out and go outside and walk around - just to get out. I would love to do a TA but I'm don't know how I would do with 6 sea days! :eek: I saw one TA that took a northerly route and only had about 3 consecutive sea days.

Archived