Your Most Successful Method To Book A Cruise?

amor1964

We booked our first and only cruise with NCL with a PCC via phone/internet.

It was just the two of us so we had some wiggle room in regard to the fare. We fell in love with cruising and NCL! We now want to book a cruise with them for late 2013 for our entire clan of 7. Our PCC is aware of this and awaiting my call.

Now that the stakes are higher with 7 of us, I need to be relatively certain that I am using the best method to book. So I ask: regarding fares, have you had better deals using NCL dot com? NCL PCC?, local TA?, a dot com specializing in cruises?, any other means? I have seen that some dot coms offer no deposit which is really the only lead that I have at this point. I appreciate all replies that will help us second timers sort through all of the possibilities!

We've booked via PCC and direct. I prefer the direct route combined with lots of cc research. We are also a family of 7 and if I was ever to go that big again (Our 2 oldest are in their 20s so don't currently travel with us) I may have to fold and use a PCC just to ensure rooms locations are secured etc. We just booked one online for ourselves with the 3 younger kids but picked a suite so it was straight forward.

I'll be interested to read the responses to this post too.

Each booking route has its pluses and minuses. Using a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC - NCL's name for their inside sales people) is the same as using the internet in terms of pricing. Sometimes the PCCs know of sales in advance so they can (and might) call you in advance. They are just like having a travel agent - except these folks only sell NCL. Here on CC they have been both praised and cursed.

Now for the other Travel Agents - a traditional Travel Agent reps more than one line and usually offers alternatives to the cruise line's offerings - this can and will include items like travel insurance, transportation options, tour options, and even hotels. Some TAs are not as good as others and so you need to be cautious when choosing one. Sometimes TAs will give up part of their commission to lower your price, larger TAs can offer bulk rates based on the discounts given to them by the cruise line.

The bottom line is that it is up to you to choose how much you want to do on your own vs how much you want to hand things over to someone else. A good TA can make your trip much more pleasurable. Again it all depends on how much planning you want to do on your own. I prefer to use an old fashioned TA - no discounts or OBC but just plain old good advice and the ability to have all the major planning done through one place.

Mine did save me both $$ and time on my Hawaiian cruise in 06. We were able to fly directly from PDX to Honolulu, he arranged a transfer to the hotel and a room at the same hotel that NCL used. He also suggested that we use a pre cruise tour to get from the hotel to the ship and to see the PCC the day before we left. He also respects my ability to research things on my own - but will step in if he sees me going down the wrong path.

Pricing between NCL's website and when done with one of their Personal Cruise Consultants should in theory be the same. However, I would never call my PCC without having the exact booking in front of me on the computer up to the point where it wants you to CLICK to buy it. That way, I can verify pricing and cabin selection that I found online matches what the PCC shows. As stated above, if you decide to go the TA route, you may indeed get a lower price and/or some OBC or other incentives. There's nothing wrong with going the TA route as long as you are comfortable and knowledgeable about what kind of support you will get from them if you need it. Once you book with the TA, all of your communication related to the booking must be done with them. You cannot call NCL directly for anything related to that particular booking (such as changing cabins, requesting a lower rate you found, changing names on the reservation, cancellation and rebooking, etc.). You must go thru the TA for these things. If the TA doesn't work weekends or is non-responsive to your calls or emails, you may not be happy with them, and you can't just call NCL to do the action. Also, a TA MAY have their own fees in place for such requests. So you just need to know what you're getting by going with the TA.

I booked my first cruise 100% online. Shortly after my PCC called to verify, give us more info, etc. He was very helpful. I've booked the next 2 with my PCC, but I do a lot of research online first and know exactly what room I want when I call. I'm very happy so far.

We booked with NCL after PCC had sent numerous e-mails with great offers of everything..... When we booked she was not in, so we had to book through a backup agent.... WE did not contact them after booking as we had no questions, the OBC was offered, if you booked through a TA or NCL.. a few weeks before we were to leave we got an email asking us to contact the agent(PCC) when we got back to make sure everything was ok...... Now I am the client not the agent.... I sugested that maybe a additional OBC or a bottle of wine would help us enjoy the cruise more...Hint...hint.... Well to my surprise, guess extra we got.... the same as everyone else on the cruise...nothing.... To book our next cruise, I will check with PCC for a price, but book through a TA....

I have booked every cruise I have taken thru an online agency. The advantage was OBC, at least for me it was. If you plan correctly you can get OBC from NCL, and OBC from the online agency.

As mentioned by other posters, a lot depends on how comfortable you are with someone other than NCL booking your cruise. I haven't had a bad experience yet, but I have also found an agency/agent I thrust. As mentioned before, some are better than others.

In 7 cruises I have only used a TA twice, the other five cruises were with Carnival and I booked through a "personal vacation planner" but when I called to enquire and then book a Norwegian cruise, I asked the lady if she would be my PCC and she said no that she was just a booking agent/rep and if I needed info or to change just to call the toll free number, which I have done twice, gotten different people, all of them helpful, but none of them are PCC's. I dont have a problem with this, but it would be nice to have one person/PCC to deal with. So how do you get a PCC?:)

I'll be needing to figure this out soon as well. My parents are thinking about joining us on the next one in Sept. 2013 and I've never booked for more than two people so I have NO IDEA how that works. I imagine we'll have to decide what type of room we want. I've always booked through a local TA (well, on all two cruises I've ever taken, haha) but I don't like that I have to do EVERYTHING through the TA and can't call up NCL directly when I have a question. I do like having the TA as a neutral party though.

I usually book with an online agency that probably most of everyone else that have mentioned it book with as well. I have always managed to get a lower price that NCL offers (because they buy out rooms ahead of time for a good price and they do a lot of sales), I usually get a pretty good amount of OBC from them, I get the latitude OBC from NCL, I try to book when they have a "kids sail free", plus this last time as an added plus, I got the HSN $100 OBC that was offered. It was a win-win situation.

If you do your homeword and check around, you can't go wrong. :)

I booked my first cruise 100% online. Shortly after my PCC called to verify, give us more info, etc. He was very helpful. I've booked the next 2 with my PCC, but I do a lot of research online first and know exactly what room I want when I call. I'm very happy so far.

I think PCCs vary greatly. I had asked for information from NCL that I couldn't find on the site about a month before I actually booked my cruise, and a PCC called me back. When I booked, since I really loathe talking on the phone, I booked online. I've found the online system lacks some little details on the reservation page I would like to see added (mostly information that I found I can get easily on CC), so I emailed the PCC to ask a couple of quick questions.

I got a very terse answer to one question, a wrong answer to a second question, and no answer to the last, along with a rather nasty comment about how I should have booked through her, because she could have been a lot more help to me. I assume she was angry at losing a commission or something similar. Oddly enough, one of the things I thought was missing on the site (and I'd mentioned to NCL before I talked to this PCC again) was the ability to name a PCC who helped you put together what you booked online; if such a system existed, she would have gotten her commission from it...or at least a portion of it. In many ways, I feel this is a failing in NCL's system. If you have PCCs answering questions, you set up an unfair expectation on their part that they will get a commission from it, though it's much easier and more comfortable for many people to book online.

That experience turned me off their PCCs entirely. No other department at NCL has ever been rude to me, and I've found I enjoy talking to the depts directly, rather than trusting anyone to play go-between for me. While it didn't turn me off NCL as a company, it has convinced me I will never go out of my way to book with a PCC.

KC

Many thanks for all of the great responses so far! We have always booked all travel directly and never used a TA, so the idea of saving money by using a 3rd party is difficult for me to understand. But will give it a try! My PCC is cruising this week, and I expect a call from him soon upon return. After I do my homework regarding other means to book, and mention to him that for example,

"I can save a few hundred dollars by booking on xyz.com" can he sweeten his NCL direct deal? Will TAs negotiate to match or beat another TA?

Sorry for posting a follow up filled with more questions, but the bottom line is the bottom line. I really have no loyalty, just need to be sure that I looked at all of the options. Thanks again for the guidance.

Many thanks for all of the great responses so far! We have always booked all travel directly and never used a TA, so the idea of saving money by using a 3rd party is difficult for me to understand. But will give it a try! My PCC is cruising this week, and I expect a call from him soon upon return. After I do my homework regarding other means to book, and mention to him that for example,

"I can save a few hundred dollars by booking on xyz.com" can he sweeten his NCL direct deal? Will TAs negotiate to match or beat another TA?

Sorry for posting a follow up filled with more questions, but the bottom line is the bottom line. I really have no loyalty, just need to be sure that I looked at all of the options. Thanks again for the guidance.

No, NCL will not match any offers that you receive from TAs.

Over the years, I've booked with various .coms, bidding sites, cruise line's websites and PCC's.

Now with so many restrictions placed on TA's whether online or brick and mortar, I now us PCC's as they provide invaluable information that a lot of people do not have access to. They certainly provide a service and while they may not be the cheapest (but pretty close though as they provide some strategies that I never think of), they take the brain damage out of the booking, cabin selection process.

When I used the bidding site, you had to be real careful to review what some TA's bid as some go after price, ignoring your request / demands.

There's nothing like making a piddly mistake online and then realizing it causing some real brain damage. DAMHIKT.

Over the years, I've booked with various .coms, bidding sites, cruise line's websites and PCC's.

Now with so many restrictions placed on TA's whether online or brick and mortar, I now us PCC's as they provide invaluable information that a lot of people do not have access to. They certainly provide a service and while they may not be the cheapest (but pretty close though as they provide some strategies that I never think of), they take the brain damage out of the booking, cabin selection process.

When I used the bidding site, you had to be real careful to review what some TA's bid as some go after price, ignoring your request / demands.

There's nothing like making a piddly mistake online and then realizing it causing some real brain damage. DAMHIKT.

I guess I am at the point that thanks to cruise critic- I know the EXACT cabin I want prior to booking. I love doing reserach here and asking opinions. At that point, I look purely for the best price, not caring who I really book with as long as the price is right :)

We booked directly with NCL for our first cruise. If we were to use a TA to book our second cruise, how would we go about finding a reputable travel agent? What would we need to know going in? We'll probably still book direct, but I would like more information about using a TA.

... If we were to use a TA to book our second cruise, how would we go about finding a reputable travel agent? What would we need to know going in?...

The information you seek is in the Cruise Critic article titled Finding a Cruise Travel Agent at http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=62.

And as a friendly reminder to all, please take a moment to refresh your knowledge of the Travel Agent Recommendations section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships. Numerous posts had to be removed from this thread. Also, references to any venue by which you purchase a cruise is not allowed, even when posted in a "veiled" manor.

Please remember that often a removed post will be quoted, replied to or discussed in other posts in a thread. If so, those other posts will be removed too. Do not reply to, quote or discuss posts that violate the Guidelines. Just use the Report Post icon report.gif to send a message to Cruise Critic and allow the staff to take care of the issue. You are done at that point concerning any posts that violate the Guidelines.

Also, please take another moment to read the Management of this Community section in the Guidelines which states the following:

Discussion of our management policies and procedures -- including post deletions-- is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards and will be removed without notice. All decisions regarding any action taken by management shall remain final.

Cruise Critic has the right to exercise and apply our guidelines at any level we see fit, at our sole discretion, at any time.

If you have comments or concerns regarding the management of this community, please address them to: community@cruisecritic.com.

Thanking you all in advance for your cooperation,

Kat 50.gif

Just to give you an idea of what is out there besides NCL , I used a popular store on cyber Monday and got the following deal:

- cruise fare at this particular place for category X was actually less than the same category X via NCL, not by a whole lot, but it was 3 digits less

- gratuities prepaid

- additional on board credit

- half off deposit

Bottom line is shop around, there are deals to be had.

Archived