Booking date - sailing date?

FIDDLE2FADDLE

From the time of booking a cruise till boarding the ship - what's the shortest time you've spent between booking and boarding? Just now, I can only book very, very last minute and wondering if I have a chance of going on a cruise at all, or just forget about the whole thing?

I have booked on Tuesday night and sailed on Sunday on Princess. They, and many other lines, show booking online available as few as two business days before sailing. Some of the companies that do the one and two day cruises from Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach take bookings through their call center up to 5:30 PM the day before sailing.

(But here's a piece of ancient history: in 1985 my parents walked up to Burdine's travel desk on a Friday afternoon and were sailing on Chandris [the precursor of Celebrity] on Sunday--the agent had to do all the paperwork and have it messengered to the dock. And my mom still has the onboard activity sheets, printed off a hand-crank mimeograph machine. So much for modern technology...;))

From the time of booking a cruise till boarding the ship - what's the shortest time you've spent between booking and boarding? Just now, I can only book very, very last minute and wondering if I have a chance of going on a cruise at all, or just forget about the whole thing?
Last year when we asked about booking a cruise on a Celebrity ship that was leaving the next day, we were told that we could still book it.

Some people have posted saying they were able to book a Carnival cruise over the phone on the morning of the embarkation day.

At one time we had heard that there was a 72 hour cutoff on accepting new bookings, but apparently that rule has changed or is no longer enforced.

It would be easiest just to call whichever cruise line you are interested in and ask them about their policy.

(But here's a piece of ancient history: in 1985 my parents walked up to Burdine's travel desk on a Friday afternoon and were sailing on Chandris [the precursor of Celebrity] on Sunday--the agent had to do all the paperwork and have it messengered to the dock. And my mom still has the onboard activity sheets, printed off a hand-crank mimeograph machine. So much for modern technology...;))
Back in the days before 9/11 it was very common for people to walk up to the pier with their packed bags and book a cruise at the last minute.

At Florida ports where several ships would be docked on the same day, people who just wanted to go on a cruise (any cruise) would go around from ship to ship looking for one that still had vacant cabins available.

It was a regular hobby for some Florida residents who used to pick up some great last minute deals that way.

If it's a high demand time, forget it. But if it's off season, and you live within a driving distance of a port, you might have a chance. Contact all the cruiselines that operate the port closest to you and tell them that you are available for any last minute cruises. Maybe you'll get a call.

Last year I booked on tuesday and sailed on Friday on Celebrity. Found great rates for airfare too, which shocked us. How far in advance we book depends on the itinerary...exotic cruises are booked way in advance...caribbean...normally pretty short.

Thanks, everybody for your replys. We live near Tampa and sometimes people, when visiting us, ask about going on a quick cruise since they are here (airfare and all) and sometimes it might be fun to join them. Because of certain health problems in the family we are unable to book far ahead. Your answers are helpful, Thanks:rolleyes:

We know some Brits in Spain who have a TA ring them whenever there's a last minute vacancy on a ship leaving a port nearby- they cruise the Med most of winter for very low rates. They come home, wash and pack their cruise clothes, then wait- usually just 1 or 2 days before the sailing.

Never do the last minute thing as the only cabins we want go within days if not hours of a cruise being offered. Depending on the Princess ship we sail on there are only 6-8 cabins that we want so we have to jump early to get one of the Vista suites soon to be classed as S6.

Never do the last minute thing as the only cabins we want go within days if not hours of a cruise being offered. Depending on the Princess ship we sail on there are only 6-8 cabins that we want so we have to jump early to get one of the Vista suites soon to be classed as S6.

That's the deciding factor. If you are picky about cabin location you cannot book last minute.

First cruise we took together booked on a Tuesday for a Friday sailing. Ended up in forward facing room overlooking the bow.

So far 4-5 months out is the shortest I've had! I'm jealous of the folks that wake up and decide to go! :-) I live near Cape Liberty in NJ, but well, packing/arranging for a cat sitter takes time. Not to mention that whole pesky work thing always getting in the way of fun :-)

Archived