Soda Dispensers on Carnival

ruag8tr2

My main problem with royal soda is that the mix is awful. Much better to get it out of cans if the mix is not right. Been on 2 Royal cruises and soda is bad so hopefully they get it better if they are going to use the machines.

Comparing soda from a soda gun to the soda that is available in the Freestyle machine is like going from the outhouse to the penthouse.

these machines are getting quite popular in many venues.

we were in a disney resort in hawaii and they had them they were doing a test run ( with the rifd chips) if they worked we were told that they would expand to all of there resorts which sold all u can drink "cups"

i do think its a technology that will catch on in most venues

That is REALLY cool that RCCL is installing those Freestyle machines. (You'd think NCL would do it, since they're all about "freestyle" cruising. :) )

When I was on Majesty of the Seas a few years ago, they had a conventional fountain soda machine with 24-hour access located near the pool. Purchasing their soda pass also included their souvenir insulated tumbler at no extra charge (CCL charges $5 for it) that also activated the soda machine...but I don't know if it used an RFID chip or a mechanical interface at the bottom of the cup...I think it was the latter, back then.

My sailing card came already embossed with a Coke symbol, showing I had paid for the soda pass -- no silly stickers involved. There was seldom a wait at the machine, since it could dispense more than one soda at a time.

It sounds like RCCL has taken their unlimited soda program, which was already MUCH better than CCL's, and made it even better. ;)

BTW, those Freestyle machines DO have one major drawback, as some others have noted: they are single-access-point devices. Only one person can use it at a time and there's a bit of a learning curve, plus, let's face it, literally dozens of flavors to choose from. I get a raspberry Diet Coke now whenever I go to our local Burger King...and I recently discovered they have another Freestyle machine available for drive-through service. :D

Royal doesn't "give" you anything. Their package includes a cup, but their package also costs more to begin with. Fountain soda costs less than canned soda and canned soda tastes better.

Carnival is the better value.

I think it's definitely a matter of opinion - I much prefer fountain soda to a warm can of soda poured over ice. In addition, if I drink more than one can of Diet Coke, I get a migraine - but the artificial sweetener content in the fountain drinks is a bit different, and they don't give me headaches. That being said, I'll stick with Carnival and avoid soda - but it's one thing I really wish they'd implement.

I think it's definitely a matter of opinion - I much prefer fountain soda to a warm can of soda poured over ice. In addition, if I drink more than one can of Diet Coke, I get a migraine - but the artificial sweetener content in the fountain drinks is a bit different, and they don't give me headaches. That being said, I'll stick with Carnival and avoid soda - but it's one thing I really wish they'd implement.

I agree - fountain soda is better thancanned soda.Not sure about the other ships, but on the Glorythe Red Frog / Blue Iguana have SODA GUNS!!!They dispense Coke, Diet Coke and I want to say Sprite and Ginger Ale... maybe soda water too..

I agree - fountain soda is better thancanned soda.Not sure about the other ships, but on the Glorythe Red Frog / Blue Iguana have SODA GUNS!!!They dispense Coke, Diet Coke and I want to say Sprite and Ginger Ale... maybe soda water too..

I was told that they only use them for mixed drinks, not for people just ordering a soda - any experience with this? We'll be on the Conquest and I'm hoping I can get a fountain Diet Coke with lunch!

Royal doesn't "give" you anything. Their package includes a cup, but their package also costs more to begin with. Fountain soda costs less than canned soda and canned soda tastes better.

Carnival is the better value.

What are the price-points on soda packages for the two cruise lines?

It's been a while since I booked with RCCL, but as I recall, the price was almost identical to CCL's when I booked on Imagination.

But, let's talk value, shall we?

I'm a bit of a night owl, so the ability to get a soda from the fountain machine at 2:30 am on RCCL when, on CCL, all the bars are closed and I'm S.O.L. makes RCCL the better value. Plus, the time I DIDN'T waste in line buying the soda package aboard ship on CCL, whereas RCCL allows you to easily add it to to your booking on their website.

Oh, and don't forget RCCL's nicely embossed S&S card, as opposed to CCL's sticker that could easily come off if your card gets wet. :rolleyes:

...And of course, when you do get your soda, the glass is so full of ice that there's barely a cup of liquid in the glass. I think RCI has a good idea there.

Yeah that amount of ice in each glass also irritated me with Carnival on recent cruises, but I would drink the glass dry right there at the bar, and have them refill immediately.

• 3 years later...

Bringing this thread back to life. Sailed aboard the RCI Allure of the Seas and absolutely LOVED the Coca Cola Freestyle machines (and souvenir cup I got to take home). Sailed on the Carnival Breeze with the sticker and HATED it (as well as the 'kiddie cups') and will definitely not do that again.

It was the difference between adult 'ahh, self serve' and childlike with hat in hand 'oh please Mr./Miss Bartender may I have just one more cup?'.

CCL management, please modernize your soda program.

Frankly, in regards to your non-alcoholic beverage program, the use of these stickers places Carnival a notch BELOW the companies that have introduced an RFID chipped/freestyle machine program. :cool:

Yes, I know I rebooked with Carnival to sail the Vista (because I like to try new ships). However, food AND BEVERAGE offerings are extremely high on my list and disappointment there means no repeat bookings. Really looking forward to sailing Harmony of the Seas.

Edited by kds4

All,

A few months ago I was on a RCI short cruise and noticed that instead of "soda card" carriers going to the bar for their drinks there was a dispenser that patrons could use with a special cup and a card (I guess). Does anyone know if Carnival has gone this route yet or do people with soda cards have to still go to the bars. Specifically asking about the Destiny but would appreciate information about any other ships as well.

Thanks.

Only RCL does it that way.

Only RCL does it that way.

Then for as long as that remains true, RCL has a leg-up on the competition in my book. If they were really smart, they would have negotiated some period of exclusivity with Coca Cola to be the only line serving the U.S. market to offer this.

While I doubt RCL actually got such an arrangement with Coca Cola, the apathy of Carnival and other cruise lines F&B departments to leverage these machines is creating an implied advantage to RCL by leaving them as the sole source of this 'unique' beverage option for cruising.

I'm really surprised that at least one other line isn't pursuing this just to break the 'monopoly' that RCL has on offering Freestyle macines. I believe it's a real crowd pleaser as well as more efficient for the crew as it frees up the bartenders to spend their time making higher revenue 'adult' beverages and not dispensing kiddie cups. We found the lines to get drinks at the bar to be quite long (and it was January).

Edited by kds4

Then for as long as that remains true, RCL has a leg-up on the competition in my book. If they were really smart, they would have negotiated some period of exclusivity with Coca Cola to be the only line serving the U.S. market to offer this.

While I doubt RCL actually got such an arrangement with Coca Cola, the apathy of Carnival and other cruise lines F&B departments to leverage these machines is creating an implied advantage to RCL by leaving them as the sole source of this 'unique' beverage option for cruising.

I'm really surprised that at least one other line isn't pursuing this just to break the 'monopoly' that RCL has on offering Freestyle macines. I believe it's a real crowd pleaser as well as more efficient for the crew as it frees up the bartenders to spend their time making higher revenue 'adult' beverages and not dispensing kiddie cups. We found the lines to get drinks at the bar to be quite long (and it was January).

You're giving a lot of thought to a product that can take the factory paint off a car.

It's entirely your choice to ascertain the quality of a cruise line based on how it dispenses soda.

I'll base my assessment on entirely different criteria.

It's entirely your choice to ascertain the quality of a cruise line based on how it dispenses soda.

I agree !! And I got a chuckle out of your response :D

Can't believe the poster revived a 3 1/2 year old thread about this - must truly be the reason they cruise one line over another :rolleyes:

We have sailed on both lines multiple times, but most of our cruises have been on CCL, so obviously soda is not a make or break fro us but.... On our RCCL cruises we all 3 get the soda package but we NEVER get the CCL Soda package.

The convenience factor and variety is the difference. It's easier to use the machines and you can get whatever you want, whenever you want, with or without ice.

Would love to see CCL install these machines.

On Carnival they have servers that bring you drinks right? Will they bring sodas as well or do you HAVE to go to the bar for them? For example, if me and my kids are sitting by the pool and I order a nice little rum infused drink can I also order them something from the bottomless bubbles list at the same time? Do they have to be present or can they be in the pool and I can order I have their cards with me?

They have these machines at all the amusement parks we've been to in recent years. Universal in Florida, Kings Island in OH, Elitch's in Denver, Magic Mountain in CA. Sea World San Diego.. These machines are sanitary, save time for the guest AND staff. There are LOTS of machines located all around each park we've been too. They are in the majority of Fast Food places (at least here in KY) These machines would be a great addition to Carnival. Would save the guest a lot of time standing around, would save the staff time by not having to pour can after can for guest after guest. AND you get a cool cup to take home with you.

On Carnival they have servers that bring you drinks right? Will they bring sodas as well or do you HAVE to go to the bar for them? For example, if me and my kids are sitting by the pool and I order a nice little rum infused drink can I also order them something from the bottomless bubbles list at the same time? Do they have to be present or can they be in the pool and I can order I have their cards with me?

IF you find a server he/she should get you all that you need as long as you have the cards for what you want. (because they are not getting the tip from those cards-- it might be quicker to go to a bar to get it yourself.

There are bars located at the pools

My issue is two-fold. For those traveling without kids or cruisers who have no interest in non-alcoholic beverages at all (since Freestyle machines dispense more than soda), this may appear as only a meaningless nit pick by me. However, for those who don't drink or cruisers who travel with kids, this beverage program is potentially very important to them (which is my situation).

My other point is frustration with CCL or any other line not seeing the sheer 'business sense' of this. When new technology/ideas come along that could improve the cruising experience, are corporate efforts really best invested in adding 6' to the waterslide of a new ship versus modernizing their non-alcoholic beverage program?

I admit, I'm biased and your mileage may vary.

Edited by kds4

There is also the possibility that RCI signed an exclusivity contract with Coke that gives RCI the exclusive rights for a number of years so that competitors such as Carnival can not even get the freestyle machines until the exclusivity clause expires.