Bucket List - Opinions Valued

I am in the planning stages for putting together a cruise for about 10 people sometime in 2013. Two members of the group are fighting serious cancer with one in stage 4. While the one is in stage 4, she is currently feeling good but we know that probably won't last. That being said, she suggested that we all go on a trip together and she made some suggestions, asking me to do some leg work. Based on collective finances and some of us still working, we are probably focused on vacations around 10 days but probably not more than 14 (plus chemo is every 14 days). My friend has been of some cruises, has spent a lot of time on road trips out west, been to Hawaii, and has spent a fair amount of time in the California wine country. Where she suggested, based on places she has not spent a lot of time and places close enough to get back should she need medical care, include the Nova Scotia area, the Pacific NW (she has been to Alaska though) and a Mexico all inclusive (she said her best vacation ever was in a high end all inclusive but this probably had as much to do with the friends she was with) For the heavy travelers out there, can you give me your honest feedback on which vacations you have enjoyed most. We are tossing around but would welcome input. We are a group in our 40s through 70s from all walks of life. Thanks in advance. Needless to say, I'm trying to put together a great vacation and one that might be our last.

Panama Canal either partial or full in September/Oct 2013

North East - Ft Lauderdale to Montreal May 2013

Panama Canal ending in Seattle (18 days)

No cruise - All inclusive resort in Mexico

Of the choices you posted, I would choose to do one of the Panama canal cruises. I really love the Mexican all inclusives, they are relaxing, a lot of fun and the Mexican staff working at them are usually just wonderful. But, I think anything more than a week might start to get a little repetitive.

You mentioned Alaska, but did not include it in your list at the end of your post. I would seriously recommend that you consider a cruise and land tour of Alaska. Its one of the most beautiful places on earth and should be on everyone's bucket list.

Of the choices you posted, I would choose to do one of the Panama canal cruises. I really love the Mexican all inclusives, they are relaxing, a lot of fun and the Mexican staff working at them are usually just wonderful. But, I think anything more than a week might start to get a little repetitive.

You mentioned Alaska, but did not include it in your list at the end of your post. I would seriously recommend that you consider a cruise and land tour of Alaska. Its one of the most pristine and beautiful places on earth and should be on everyone's bucket list.

Not knowing where the most ill of the group has to travel from, I would be inclined to consider easier trip getting to embarkation port. You don't want them getting exhausted traveling to the ship and then being too tired to enjoy.

If coming from Ohio, there may be non-stop flights to Boston for Canada/NE on Maasdam. That is one of our favorite short HAL cruises. We go Boston to Montreal to Boston every summer, b-to-b, and love it. It's a terrific cruise on a beautiful ship.

The last cruise that my Dad was able to take was a full Panama Canal transit. He spent a large portion of his time on the ship in the sick bay and confined to his bed in our cabin due to a "bug" that was travelling around the ship. The day of the Panama Canal transit he was able to spend most of the time on our balcony. He talked about the trip for the next three years while he was in and out of the hospital and rehab centers. I am so very grateful that he was able to do that cruise.

The weather in May could be very iffy. We did that repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal -- once we got to New York and above -- lots of rain, cool/cold, and some of the shops weren't open and ready for the season.

Full Panama Canal cruises -- we have done several and enjoyed them all. Thatis what I would aim for.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll focus on Panama. I think only three of the ten of us have done Panama. The group will be coming from Ohio and North Carolina. As this stage of the game, travel is still tolerable but I agree, we don't need to add any stress and things could change. Travel insurance will be a must. Thank you all again.

Not knowing where the most ill of the group has to travel from, I would be inclined to consider easier trip getting to embarkation port. You don't want them getting exhausted traveling to the ship and then being too tired to enjoy.

If coming from Ohio, there may be non-stop flights to Boston for Canada/NE on Maasdam. That is one of our favorite short HAL cruises. We go Boston to Montreal to Boston every summer, b-to-b, and love it. It's a terrific cruise on a beautiful ship.

I recommend that trip on Maasdam as well. I see the Op has the repositioning cruise from Florida to Montreal, but not the Boston roundtrip to Montreal (14 day).

A Panama Canal cruise would be great, but isn't the date posted inside 'hurricane season'?

I wouldn't want to make plans and then have things totally change because of the weather. There are also winter season Panama Canal cruises that might not be influenced by hurricanes.

Not on your bucket list but Eastern Caribbean may also have some nice warm water charms as well as more lush islands and good history - 11 days on the Maasdam makes a lot of people happy. Or the Noordam. Maybe where ever the Prinsendam is going would be the best of an "inclusive resort" and some special small port adventures in the grand old style of small ship cruising.

We did the Panama trip from west to east and did enjoy a lot of the ports but they often took vigorous shore excursion with long bus rides s to fully enjoy them. The heat in Cartegena is deadly which may also be a consideration. Costa Rica is my favorite country down in this part of the world for an in depth visit - lovely resorts and incredible scenery, flora and fauna.

You have not listed it but what about a T/A crossing .. lots of sea days and not too port intensive. Love the Maasdam from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal but very port intensive and weather could be iffy in May. Hope where ever you decide it will be a marvelous trip.

Having cruised with someone who had potential health issues, I would suggest you bear in mind what would happen if the person needed medical treatment during the trip.

I would definitely not take a transatlantic crossing as emergency evacuation is almost impossible if needed when half way across.

Also, bear in mind that, if a passenger needed to be taken off the ship for medical treatment, where would they be taken to. Would you be happy with medical treatment in Central America or the Caribbean?

I would take a cruise where you are always within emergency evacuation distance of the US.

Whatever you decide to do, discuss it with the person's doctor/oncologist to get their advice before finally booking.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful vacation and are able to make wonderful memories.

I am in the planning stages for putting together a cruise for about 10 people sometime in 2013. Two members of the group are fighting serious cancer with one in stage 4. While the one is in stage 4, she is currently feeling good but we know that probably won't last. That being said, she suggested that we all go on a trip together and she made some suggestions, asking me to do some leg work. Based on collective finances and some of us still working, we are probably focused on vacations around 10 days but probably not more than 14 (plus chemo is every 14 days). My friend has been of some cruises, has spent a lot of time on road trips out west, been to Hawaii, and has spent a fair amount of time in the California wine country. Where she suggested, based on places she has not spent a lot of time and places close enough to get back should she need medical care, include the Nova Scotia area, the Pacific NW (she has been to Alaska though) and a Mexico all inclusive (she said her best vacation ever was in a high end all inclusive but this probably had as much to do with the friends she was with) For the heavy travelers out there, can you give me your honest feedback on which vacations you have enjoyed most. We are tossing around but would welcome input. We are a group in our 40s through 70s from all walks of life. Thanks in advance. Needless to say, I'm trying to put together a great vacation and one that might be our last.

Panama Canal either partial or full in September/Oct 2013

North East - Ft Lauderdale to Montreal May 2013

Panama Canal ending in Seattle (18 days)

No cruise - All inclusive resort in Mexico

I'd pick what is most relaxing, I imagine, having watched loved ones of my own battle through chemo and cancer relaxing in the warm sun would be more enjoyable than some more intensive port-wise. Esp. if you don't know how your one friend battling is going to be feeling, even if she's feeling fine today, that way she too can enjoy the vacation and not feel as if she's holding anyone back.

I suggest "lazy beach vacation" only because I happened to read an article yesterday in the Philly Inquirer which led me to the non-profit to which it was about, where they send couples and families who are struggling with cancer on vacations, where the majority seem to like to go away and just relax as a couple or as a family without the daily stress of being sick.

Archived