Formal attire WAS "required" in specialty Rest.

Trvlr76

I went looking for the dress code under packing and here's what I found under Evening Attire.

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Thank you for finding that page which is in complete conflict with the other statements on their web pages.

I will neon the phone on Wednesday with celebrity trying to find out if they have a policy. I guess both camps can claim that they are following celebrity's policy.

LAURA'S.....perhaps cc could ask for an official clarification.

Thank you for finding that page which is in complete conflict with the other statements on their web pages.

I will neon the phone on Wednesday with celebrity trying to find out if they have a policy. I guess both camps can claim that they are following celebrity's policy.

LAURA'S.....perhaps cc could ask for an official clarification.

I don't think that page is contrary to what we have previously put on here. The only statement that really presents a problem is the line about the dailies but then we must refer back to the crew following company policy. I don't interpret the bolded portion as meaning you need formal clothes in specialty restaurants on formal nights. Agree totally with cruise junky in previous post.

They still can't get by this from their web site.

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass® guests, is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Just got back from the Dec 22 Reflection sailing. We ate at Tuscan Grille, Qsine, Lawn Club and Murano on the last night of the cruise. A gentleman at the next table in Murano was wearing a tee-shirt, a nice tee-shirt, but a tee-shirt nonethless.....go figure

I just sent an email with the two conflicting statements included with reference URL's to Michael Bayley's official contact email suggesting that Celebrity post their official policy here and remove one of the conflicting statements from their web site.

Let's see what happens....

Love X and we refuse to pay a premium for the privilege of wearing the same clothes we wear around the house to a $80 dinner to avoid formal nights, or many $$$'s to escape to another cruise line that says my DH doesn't have to wear a jacket. We are off for almost 7 weeks in June, two cruises, (26 days), a week in Rome and a week in Paris, 2 long train rides. We are taking a Tux and 2 mix and match formal outfits for me. One checked and one carry on each - no problem/no stress/no buffet/no Blu/no $$$ and we are prepared for anything. Helps that I would rather be overdressed than underdressed as well:D:D Really don't worry too much about the fine print in the "dress code". Small, small bump in the big scheme of things. We also do not stress on the "principle" of things either - at least not while on vacation. How ever this situation is resolved or the reasoning behind it, is still very much a mystery but it should/will not affect us:)

In my thread, I said I was puzzled that anyone would pay as much as $40 per person to avoid formal night wearing of a jacket. Some posters thought I had not read the OP because I said this attitude was about ego.

There are many posts which clearly state that the poster whosoever they may be are willing to pay out $$$ just to avoid wearing a jacket!

It is not simply that Celebrity /or staff are at odds, when there are statements that some people are willing to pay the cost to avoid wearing a jacket/formal night

How can anyone be willing to pay so much money simply to avoid wearing a jacket?

I pay $$$$ for a cruise, I would not want to dine in an elegant room looking as though I was going for a night at the mall movie theatre, to eat popcorn.

I just sent an email with the two conflicting statements included with reference URL's to Michael Bayley's official contact email suggesting that Celebrity post their official policy here and remove one of the conflicting statements from their web site.

Let's see what happens....

Now I am confused...??? What are the "conflicting" statements ??

Providing all of the escalation steps were done with a polite, but insistent, demeanor, I fail to see why this would be considered abusive? I personally would not care to fight this battle while on a relaxing vacation, but as consumers there is really nothing wrong with bringing issues to managers attention, as well as escalating to more senior managers if satisfaction is not reached. Again, if I were to do this I would definitely be polite, but if anyone is being abusive it is Celebrity- of their policy and in some sense of their passengers. It was very embarassing for my son to be stopped at the door of the theater and refused entrance even though he was dressed according to published protocol. It did not ruin our night, but certainly put a damper on our fun that night! The Celebrity staff member had no hesitation about making a bit of a scene in front of other passengers (no, we never got loud nor impolite, but trust me I did debate the point). To embarass people at the doors of restaurants (or in our case theaters) when they are in fact following a corporate policy is where the abuse lies, not in escalating the point (again, provided it is done respectfully). To those who think it is abusive to escalate like this, I respectfully suggest that perhaps if it has happened to you then you might feel differently about just letting it pass.

I do hope that you have reported this to the appropriate powers that be.

It does sound like it is occurring on specific ships, and fortunately, the Silhouette doesn't seem to be one of them. However, one of the reasons that we booked an AQ on the Silhouette is so that we could dine at Blu without having to dress formally. I will be running off copies of the policy, so that if there is a question, I will be able to refer directly to the policy.

Contrary to the opinion of some here, I am not spoiling for a fight, but the dining policy WAS a factor in our choosing to pay the difference in getting an AQ cabin. Based on that, if a hotel manager/maitre d'/dining manager were to suddenly decide that he/she is going to change the rules, I will insist on the product that was promised to me.

Now I am confused...??? What are the "conflicting" statements ??

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&faqSubjectId=55

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass® guests, is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway#before_you_go_getting_ready/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/chickletpanel.do%3Fpagename=before_you_go_getting_ready#tertiary/before_you_go_packing

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&faqSubjectId=55

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway#before_you_go_getting_ready/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/chickletpanel.do%3Fpagename=before_you_go_getting_ready#tertiary/before_you_go_packing

"Smart Casual and Above"

"Formal" attire:

Nothing conflicting there.....One says the dress code in Specialty Restaurants, including Blu, is Smart Casual every night...and one says the dress code will be enforced in every restaurant....that dress code could be "smart casual" or "formal"...Could be better worded perhaps...."the appropriate dress code will be enforced" ...but I don't think it has ever caused any real confusion...at least not that I have read about on here....

The issue is staff adhering to what is written....

In my thread, I said I was puzzled that anyone would pay as much as $40 per person to avoid formal night wearing of a jacket. Some posters thought I had not read the OP because I said this attitude was about ego.

There are many posts which clearly state that the poster whosoever they may be are willing to pay out $$$ just to avoid wearing a jacket!

It is not simply that Celebrity /or staff are at odds, when there are statements that some people are willing to pay the cost to avoid wearing a jacket/formal night

How can anyone be willing to pay so much money simply to avoid wearing a jacket?

I pay $$$$ for a cruise, I would not want to dine in an elegant room looking as though I was going for a night at the mall movie theatre, to eat popcorn.

I understand that you don't understand why some of us might be willing to pay extra not to be required to dress formally. :-)

In my case, not only do I dislike the accoutrements, but I honestly dislike the "vibe" of formal nights. It all feels rather stuffy and pretentious. (Note: I am NOT saying those who like formal nights are stuffy and pretentious. My darling husband is neither, and, all things being equal, he actually likes formal nights!)

So, in my case, I am glad to pay extra to avoid the necessity to bring very formal clothing on the plane and wearing it, as well as to avoid participating in an event that I do not find enjoyable.

The bottom line here is, as far as I can see, Celebrity has built in an alternative for people like me, but then individuals on the ship have seen fit to impose their own views over the service that the company has sold. This is unacceptable, IMO, and I hope that Celebrity recognizes it, and tells the HM, or whomever, to stand down.

Does anyone else think that something very strange is happening on Connie? All those reports of poor service, and now this? Who is the current Hotel Dirctor? As of December 15 ( the end of the Transatlantic) it was Djamal Benatmane. Did he leave for vacation? Is there a differed HD now?

I believe this question went unanswered from page 1. I was also on the same cruise as the OP-it was a 5 day Caribbean with one formal night. Yes, Djamal Benatmane was the hotel director on this cruise. Policy and service issues seemed to abound on this particular cruise.

The best post in this entire thread is post 94 by Phoenix Dream. It sums up the entire thread in two or three sentences...It really is quite simple.

I agree. It's amazing how many people have jumped in on this thread without understanding the backstory of the Celebrity website and people's justifiable reliance on the published dress code for the specialty restaurants and Blu.

What or how another guest chooses to spend their money is none of your business. What part of this thread do you not understand? This is not about breaking any rules. It's about Celebrity following their own printed dress code. We get that you like formalwear. Knock yourself out. Dress to the nines each and every night BUT don't tell me how to dress when I am clearly following the WRITTEN dress code. Now do you understand?

FYI, back from our 12/15 5 day cruise on Connie. We booked Ocean Liners on the formal night to avoid my husband having to wear a coat and tie. He planned to wear dress slacks and a dress shirt. On the day of Formal night, the cruise daily noted that "formal wear would be required in ALL dining rooms". I panicked and went to the specialty restaurant, and there was indeed a sign at the hostess desk that mentioned formal attire was required for seating in Ocean Liners that evening. I went to guest services, and they also confirmed. Looking a bit dismayed, the guy went on to ask what my hubby planned to wear, then said he thought it would probably be ok. At dinner, most people were in formal attire, except for one man in a short sleeve polo type shirt.

Just thought I'd mention this...

Let me see you were not denied service just everybody else was overdressed in the speciality restaurant. Your DH was smart casual and above so I see no issue. IMHO, The signs are to make people think twice about going below smart casual down to say ripped faded jeans and Collared American Eagle polo. You did the right thing by asking. I know so CC members are going to blow this out of the water as they already have. I base things on the end result not the process. You and DH had your dinner albeit with some confusion. You should be commended for not blasting the cruise line in your OP. Some blow things way out of proportion.

Just for balance here....

I have no problems having dinner at a fine restaurant in smart casual clothes. Dinner is about the people, the food, the service....not about all the trappings. Many of the "top drawer" cruise lines have no formal nights.

I don't think I'd describe the MDR on a Celebrity ship as an "elegant room"...actually, I'm not sure what an elegant room looks like...it's just a nicely decorated restaurant. We have loads of those near us...and we dine there in "smart casual" all the time. If the MDR is "elegant", as you suggest, then you must be uncomfortable eating meals there on non formal nights.

I don't wear smart casual to a movie theater or to go to a shopping mall....I don't know many that do....

Let me see you were not denied service just everybody else was overdressed in the speciality restaurant. Your DH was smart casual and above so I see no issue. IMHO, The signs are to make people think twice about going below smart casual down to say ripped faded jeans and Collared American Eagle polo. You did the right thing by asking. I know so CC members are going to blow this out of the water as they already have. I base things on the end result not the process. You and DH had your dinner albeit with some confusion. You should be commended for not blasting the cruise line in your OP. Some blow things way out of proportion.

If, as reported here, teen agers were refused entry to the theater because they weren't in formalwear and if the ship is posting notices that say Murano or other specialty restaurants are "formal" required, then this is a worthwhile issue to discuss.....and the issue is about Celebrity following it's own published guidelines/policies consistently.

Except that SOME people may well have run and rented a tux, because they thought they would not be able to enter (indeed, we've seen people on the board who have done just that).

FYI, back from our 12/15 5 day cruise on Connie. We booked Ocean Liners on the formal night to avoid my husband having to wear a coat and tie. He planned to wear dress slacks and a dress shirt. On the day of Formal night, the cruise daily noted that "formal wear would be required in ALL dining rooms". I panicked and went to the specialty restaurant, and there was indeed a sign at the hostess desk that mentioned formal attire was required for seating in Ocean Liners that evening. I went to guest services, and they also confirmed. Looking a bit dismayed, the guy went on to ask what my hubby planned to wear, then said he thought it would probably be ok. At dinner, most people were in formal attire, except for one man in a short sleeve polo type shirt.

Just thought I'd mention this...

My understanding has always been that formal night is recognized in MDR and Murano. All other eateries are smart casual.

Judy

My understanding has always been that formal night is recognized in MDR and Murano. All other eateries are smart casual.

Judy

See the FAQ directly from the Celebrity web site in post 135 in this thread.....

See the FAQ directly from the Celebrity web site in post 135 in this thread.....

You are right, of course...it plainly says all specialty restaurants which would include Murano, Normandie, ocean liners, etc. however, it might be a nice compromise to leave the more traditional eateries formal and the more modern eateries (Blu, qsine) smart casual.. Actually seems to make the most sense that way

You are right, of course...it plainly says all specialty restaurants which would include Murano, Normandie, ocean liners, etc. however, it might be a nice compromise to leave the more traditional eateries formal and the more modern eateries (Blu, qsine) smart casual.. Actually seems to make the most sense that way

I don't actually care what the policy is, but whatever it is, it should be clear on the web site and consistent across all Celebrity ships (with obvious differences on the Xpedition).

BTW, I agree with you, I think it's logical that Murano, Ocean Liners and Normandie be formal on formal night...one could take a reasonable position that they should be formal all nights. However, unless the policy changes, they are "smart casual" according to Celebrity HQ

Archived