Formal attire WAS "required" in specialty Rest.

Trvlr76

You are right, of course...it plainly says all specialty restaurants which would include Murano, Normandie, ocean liners, etc. however, it might be a nice compromise to leave the more traditional eateries formal and the more modern eateries (Blu, qsine) smart casual.. Actually seems to make the most sense that way

Sorry, but I disagree. For those who prefer smart casual - Blu isnt open to many Guests, so it would not be an option for a large number of Guests. Also, Qsine isnt available on Century, Solstice & Equinox. This would only create more confusion. I'm looking for less confusion :)

Personally, other than the Connie confusion, I think Celebrity has it right as the currently policy stands. I hope that Specialty Dining remains as Smart Casual and above, on all nights. Please keep in mind, that nobody is stopping you from dressing up a bit more if you wish.

Sorry, but I disagree. For those who prefer smart casual - Blu isnt open to many Guests, so it would not be an option for a large number of Guests. Also, Qsine isnt available on Century, Solstice & Equinox. This would only create more confusion. I'm looking for less confusion :)

Personally, other than the Connie confusion, I think Celebrity has it right as the currently policy stands. I hope that Specialty Dining remains as Smart Casual and above, on all nights. Please keep in mind, that nobody is stopping you from dressing up a bit more if you wish.

Hi Andy, I agree with you 100%!

I agree that how it is now is fine with me. Heck, I'd be happy enough to so away with formal dress all together. But if the formal crowd demands a specialty venue to observe formal nights, these seem to make the best choice. Should also have added that Tuscan grill, lawn club, silk harvest, Bistro on 5 should stay smart cas.... Just trying to suggest something that would work for everyone.

My concern is that while most of the aberrations reported are on the Connie, there are also scattered reports of problems elsewhere...and I sail in 25 days!

I don't think you are disagreeing...no one has suggested changing Blu from "smart casual" every night.

Jboro...and I are saying that if they were going to change what we all think is the current policy as stated in the FAQ, then it might be reasonable to make the "fancy" restaurant on each ship, formal on formal nights, or as I suggested, you could make it formal every night (and accept the reduced revenue) but leave all the other specialty restaurants "smart casual"

Of course if you read the web content under "packing" in that previous post, it can be interpreted that the "dress code" is applied to all restaurants on formal night, including Blu. It's a bit ambiguous so what you think when reading it may differ from what I think it says.....and it is confusing.

I agree that how it is now is fine with me. Heck, I'd be happy enough to so away with formal dress all together. But if the formal crowd demands a specialty venue to observe formal nights, these seem to make the best choice. Should also have added that Tuscan grill, lawn club, silk harvest, Bistro on 5 should stay smart cas.... Just trying to suggest something that would work for everyone.

My concern is that while most of the aberrations reported are on the Connie, there are also scattered reports of problems elsewhere...and I sail in 25 days!

Hi Jborosara,

I appreciate your comments. To me, what matters the most, is that all ships maintain the same dress code, AND that Celebrity's policy is clear, so we can all be on the same page. As mentioned earlier in this thread - I'm virtually certain Celebrity's policy has not changed, and this is nothing more than the misinformed actions of a very few Constellation personnel.

By the way, I shared our concerns and a link to this thread, with a high level contact at Celebrity. I hope they will respond, or post on this thread. If I receive a reply, you'll be the first to know :).

We on the same sailing. It will be wonderful to meet you. I hope to see you at the Meet & Mingle. Happy New Year !

Hi Jborosara,

I appreciate your comments. To me, what matters the most, is that all ships maintain the same dress code, AND that Celebrity's policy is clear, so we can all be on the same page. As mentioned earlier in this thread - I'm virtually certain Celebrity's policy has not changed, and this is nothing more than the misinformed actions of a very few Constellation personnel.

By the way, I shared our concerns and a link to this thread, with a high level contact at Celebrity. I hope they will respond, or post on this thread. If I receive a reply, you'll be the first to know :).

We on the same sailing. It will be wonderful to meet you. I hope to see you at the Meet & Mingle. Happy New Year !

Andy, thank you for sharing this with personnel at Celebrity. I considered writing them, but since I haven't experienced it personally, it would be hearsay, and I wasn't sure they would take it seriously.

Andy, thank you for sharing this with personnel at Celebrity. I considered writing them, but since I haven't experienced it personally, it would be hearsay, and I wasn't sure they would take it seriously.

Agree completely. I just don't wanna be surprised!

Just to add to the confusion...

I recently picked up a cruise brochure from a TA and last night decided it would be a good idea to read through the fine print at the back to find what it said about dress code.

I won't go into the details but suffice to say it was different again to anything I have read here or on the Celebrity website. Not wildly different but certainly enough to add a lot more confusion.

I have now read at least 4 separate and contradictory takes on the dress-code and all of them are from "official" and current Celebrity documents. Not to mention the on-board interpretations by the crew.

This is a situation that helps neither formal-devotees nor casual dressers. The mixed messages just ensure that the crew can't hope to enforce the dress code without upsetting a lot of passengers, and when they don't they just upset others.

Are we over-reacting here? Probably. I imagine that the experience of 99% of passengers will be fine however they choose to dress on board. As a casual dresser booked in Aqua class on the Solstice I'll report back with my findings in a couple of weeks :)

Just to add to the confusion...

I recently picked up a cruise brochure from a TA and last night decided it would be a good idea to read through the fine print at the back to find what it said about dress code.

I won't go into the details but suffice to say it was different again to anything I have read here or on the Celebrity website. Not wildly different but certainly enough to add a lot more confusion.

I have now read at least 4 separate and contradictory takes on the dress-code and all of them are from "official" and current Celebrity documents. Not to mention the on-board interpretations by the crew.

This is a situation that helps neither formal-devotees nor casual dressers. The mixed messages just ensure that the crew can't hope to enforce the dress code without upsetting a lot of passengers, and when they don't they just upset others.

Are we over-reacting here? Probably. I imagine that the experience of 99% of passengers will be fine however they choose to dress on board. As a casual dresser booked in Aqua class on the Solstice I'll report back with my findings in a couple of weeks :)

Smart Casual I hope:) Remember there is a difference!

What or how another guest chooses to spend their money is none of your business. What part of this thread do you not understand? This is not about breaking any rules. It's about Celebrity following their own printed dress code. We get that you like formalwear. Knock yourself out. Dress to the nines each and every night BUT don't tell me how to dress when I am clearly following the WRITTEN dress code. Now do you understand?

Well said, We booked an Aqua Class cabin for the ability to eat in Blu or a specialty restaurant when we choose and dress in casual clothes. We have cruised 13 times on various cruise lines, we do not enjoy the formal evenings, just our choice. For those who enjoy it, knock yourselves silly, remember variety is the spice of life.

In my thread, I said I was puzzled that anyone would pay as much as $40 per person to avoid formal night wearing of a jacket. Some posters thought I had not read the OP because I said this attitude was about ego.

There are many posts which clearly state that the poster whosoever they may be are willing to pay out $$$ just to avoid wearing a jacket!

It is not simply that Celebrity /or staff are at odds, when there are statements that some people are willing to pay the cost to avoid wearing a jacket/formal night

How can anyone be willing to pay so much money simply to avoid wearing a jacket?

I pay $$$$ for a cruise, I would not want to dine in an elegant room looking as though I was going for a night at the mall movie theatre, to eat popcorn.

We planned to eat at Murano one night during the cruise and chose formal night so DH would not be wearing the tux 3 times in 15 nights. We didn't pay $40pp to not wear formal attire we paid $ to eat at Murano.

Whether eating in the MDR, Blu or another speciality restaurant I can assure you we do not dress as though we were heading to the mall to eat popcorn at the movie.

No response to your note or mine..... One might wonder if anyone in HQ knows what their policy really is....or who is empowered to state it clearly.

No response to your note or mine..... One might wonder if anyone in HQ knows what their policy really is....or who is empowered to state it clearly.

In fairness, my email was only sent 2 days ago, and yesterday was a Holiday. I remain hopeful for a reply.

Summit last week required jacket in Blu on formal night. One of our friends was offered a jacket at the door.

And if one was offered to me, I would politely decline it and remind them of the stated rules that Celebrity has. I would also proceed to sit down to enjoy my meal without the jacket on. And if they force it on me, I will do with that jacket as I do with any jacket I wear when going to dinner: Put on the chair.

If I want to dress up for dinner, I will do so; if not, do not force me to.

The more I read this the thread, the more likely I am of printing out Celebrity's rules about how to dress in Blu and the specialty restaurants on formal nights. I will follow their rules appropriately, just as long as someone on board does not try to change them on me "in the middle of the game".

Celebrity Guests,

Our dress code for specialty restaurants remains smart casual for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the Main Dining Room. Thanks to all who have participated and this discourse to make us aware of any inconsistencies. Please keep us updated on the issue.

Thanks

Celebrity Cruises Manager (E.S.P)

Celebrity Guests,

Our dress code for specialty restaurants remains smart casual for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the Main Dining Room. Thanks to all who have participated and this discourse to make us aware of any inconsistencies. Please keep us updated on the issue.

Thanks

Thank you.

Celebrity Guests,

Thanks

Please pass this on to the personnel on all the ships, that is the real problem. Thank you..

Celebrity Guests,

Thanks

Thank you for the clarification. :-) I will be printing off this thread and taking it with me on the trip.

Celebrity Guests,

Thanks

Thank you for addressing this issue. I am looking forward to sailing X end of month and enjoying our dinner at Tuscan Grille. :p

Patty

Celebrity Guests,

Thanks

I appreciate the response but as others have stated, the problem is not with your guests. Your ships need to consistent on following the printed dress code and not arbitrarily making up rules as they go along.

I appreciate the response but as others have stated, the problem is not with your guests. Your ships need to consistent on following the printed dress code and not arbitrarily making up rules as they go along.

It sounds by the statement that they are aware of the inconsistencies, and, one would think they will address it with the appropriate personnel. They have very specific information about where and when the irregularities occurred, so it will be easy for them to address them.

I have faith that is what will happen.

Celebrity Guests,

Thanks

Thank you for this response.....so that we do not have to keep you updated on this issue (except with positive feedback)...might I respectfully request that perhaps a quick internal email be sent from HQ to the F&B Managers/Hotel Directors onboard the ships...advising them to remind their appropriate staff of the fleetwide policies regarding proper dress codes....and that selective deviation is not authorized.

Hopefully then, this issue will quickly, and finally, become a complete non-issue for future passengers.

Thanks again for responding to the concerns of your passengers.

Woody

**and I agree with WhansaMi....I have faith this will happen !**

Archived