Formal attire WAS "required" in specialty Rest.

Trvlr76

Ah well, this all rather pathetic but not surprising. It's always been a tradition for ship's crews to make up their own rules to suit themselves.

Ironically it is these sorts of inconsistencies that will probably spell the end of formal nights for good.

First of all, I agree that Celebrity and her parent, RCCL, do need to be more consistant in their rulings but also in enforcing them.

Do not allow underdressed folks in but this is after stating carefully exactly what the dress code is plus when & where also..

This all said, I so agree w/ 'Macruisefan' that a simple blazer & even just 1 (can be cleaned for every formal nite) dressy shirt & tie won't take up much room in a suitcase & solves the 'dressing' up problem for the 'gentlemen'.

As far as the ladies go and I am one, a simple short or long skirt or slacks with lightweight fancier than normal top(s), one small, again lightweight bag, pair of shoes, a string of pearls or any necklace/earrings & formal nites are taken care of. Its not really all that expensive or heavy - never has been for me anyway.

I never understand why folks who want to dine in a 'posh' place want to go without dressing up for the occasion also - its special isn't it?

Hope all had a great Xmas & will have a wonderful, safe New Year! :)

Ah well, this all rather pathetic but not surprising. It's always been a tradition for ship's crews to make up their own rules to suit themselves.

Ironically it is these sorts of inconsistencies that will probably spell the end of formal nights for good.

Formal nights going cant come quick enough for me!

I have only sailed on Azamara [three cruises] with no formal nights and it works super well.

The reason I am now participating on this forum is that DW and I have booked on the Celebrity Refection 30 August 2013 and all this talk about formal nights is a big turn off.

I wish that they would just go away. After all, surely it is just pretence in this day and age.

I think it is strange that people book a cruise line knowing that there are formal evenings then complain about it, why not book a line that doesn't have formal evenings.

that's not exactly correct - what has everyone, including me, flummoxed is that the website explicitly states smart casual in specialty restaurants, including Blu - there are many of us who pay extra for AQ to avoid formal nights and are doing so within the guidelines laid out by X. the line doesn't have formal nights shipwide - it has formal nights for the MDR.

On my August trip on the Solstice, the in-cabin TV interactive portion that described the dress code stated explicitly that formal dress was required in the MDR **AND MURANO** on formal nights. Murano is the equivalent restaurant to Ocean Liners. Now, I do not know if this was enforced on formal nights and the in-cabin TV was the only place I saw this. But I echo the sentiment of inconsistency.

Not true on Solstice in October, no formal dress required in Murano on formal nights!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It certainly isnt fleet wide, we just came off Millie and specifically booked the specialty restaurants for the formal nights so we didnt have to pack formal wear. Its not just a Blazer, although I'd have to say none of the adult males in my household even own such a thing, its the good trousers, shirts and shoes as well. Himself managed with two short sleeved collared shirts and one pair of chinos ( I think that's what you call them) on our 14 night cruise (he's a long shorts and polos man on holidays and we were in the tropics) We have a 40lb luggage allowance and visiting some of the shopping capitals of the world so we weren't spending any of it on formal wear.

Himself wears a suit to work every day and declares holidays "suit free zones"

There would have been a big kerfuffle (great word) if they had tried pulling the formal everywhere stunt on us, I had a copy if the rules with me and gladly would have quoted them!

What's really interesting to me is how annoyed everyone is. The truth is "smart" casual would include a blazer for many men. When Celebrity changed the rules, their explanation at the time was that "smart" casual would assure a level of dress that was better than some of the "casual" outfits that were showing up in the dining room. They did away with the "casual" designation completely, thinking that it would make a nicer ambiance. Wrong. Now the argument is whether throwing in a jacket is OK for formal nights, Maybe they realize the only way they are going to get to get smart casual is to request formal.

I think it is strange that people book a cruise line knowing that there are formal evenings then complain about it, why not book a line that doesn't have formal evenings.

I think you are missing the point, those passengers have booked in good faith knowing that its only the MDR that has the formal wear rule, and other venues remain smart casual. Those are Celebrities rules as set out in their policies!

I wish that they would just go away. After all, surely it is just pretence in this day and age.

Whilst I too loathe formal nights I can understand why people enjoy them and I have no wish to see them disappear. I quite enjoy watching people parade around in their finery, which to my eyes looks ludicrous but nonetheless entertaining. My argument is with the compulsory nature of formal nights. It's like saying to everybody that you can only use the pool today if you wear a red bikini.

Keep the formal nights, promote them, encourage people to dress up but don't make them compulsory.

I have printed out the Specialty Restaurant Dress Code from the FAQ on the X website and will bring it with me on our Silhouette cruise next week as we don't plan on wearing formal wear Qsine or the Lawn Club on formal nights. I'm hoping we won't have a problem, but if it becomes too much of a hassle we'll just go to the buffet instead.

You absolutely will NOT need formal wear at the Lawn Club and highly doubtful at Qsine either....don't know why Ocean Liners did that on Connie but it is a high end spec. restaurant that sort of leans to a more formal dress (even if not required) not so for Lawn Club or Qsine. Shoot most people at Lawn Club are dressed even less than the "smart casual" suggested for most nights on X.

What's really interesting to me is how annoyed everyone is. The truth is "smart" casual would include a blazer for many men. When Celebrity changed the rules, their explanation at the time was that "smart" casual would assure a level of dress that was better than some of the "casual" outfits that were showing up in the dining room. They did away with the "casual" designation completely, thinking that it would make a nicer ambiance. Wrong. Now the argument is whether throwing in a jacket is OK for formal nights, Maybe they realize the only way they are going to get to get smart casual is to request formal.

I usually agree with you but not in this case. This is a case of having expectations (no jacket) as per Celebrity's web site, booklets, wherever you want to look. You then go on the cruise and those expectations are then raised and you are legitimately not prepared for it. Throwing a jacket in your suitcase or wearing it has nothing to do with the discussion. Its not really an argument, what the ship did was dead wrong.

Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when the people on Summit required formal dress on formal nights in the theater. You want to lower the standards that's fine because people are prepared for that but you can't raise them on a particular cruise because people are rightfully not prepared for that.

Think you should go back and read the thread, your post has nothing to do with what actually occurred.

I don't believe the X definition of smart casual requires a blazer, I have certainly never thought of smart casual as requiring any item of clothing that would go over the top of a shirt. The amount of dissenting discussion here highlights that there are many different definitions of smart casual and that's why X have specified what their definition is in their rules.

I usually agree with you but not in this case. This is a case of having expectations (no jacket) as per Celebrity's web site, booklets, wherever you want to look. You then go on the cruise and those expectations are then raised and you are legitimately not prepared for it. Throwing a jacket in your suitcase or wearing it has nothing to do with the discussion. Its not really an argument, what the ship did was dead wrong.

Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when the people on Summit required formal dress on formal nights in the theater. You want to lower the standards that's fine because people are prepared for that but you can't raise them on a particular cruise because people are rightfully not prepared for that.

YES! What he said...

Its not just a Blazer, although I'd have to say none of the adult males in my household even own such a thing,

Exactly. Never owned a blazer, never worn one, never needed to wear one. Can't see the point. I'm a casual dresser who knows how to look tidy and presentable when it is necessary and I've never had any problems attending so-called "formal" evenings, on ships or elsewhere. I was once handed a coat to wear and in my opinion (and my wife's) it just made me look silly. I wore it for 5 minutes and took it off as soon as I sat down to dinner.

Of course there are some occasions where formal wear is essential, but a mass-market cruise formal night is not one of them.

Exactly. Never owned a blazer, never worn one, never needed to wear one. Can't see the point. I'm a casual dresser who knows how to look tidy and presentable when it is necessary and I've never had any problems attending so-called "formal" evenings, on ships or elsewhere. I was once handed a coat to wear and in my opinion (and my wife's) it just made me look silly. I wore it for 5 minutes and took it off as soon as I sat down to dinner.

Of course there are some occasions where formal wear is essential, but a mass-market cruise formal night is not one of them.

Guess you are a fairly new cruiser, years ago if you didn't wear a jacket you didn't eat. Has nothing to do with anything, just a little historical perspective.

Guess you are a fairly new cruiser, years ago if you didn't wear a jacket you didn't eat. Has nothing to do with anything, just a little historical perspective.

I'm from Australia and we have long had a tradition of downmarket cruising here. I doubt the party ships that were dominant in the 90's would ever have gotten away with strictly enforcing dress codes. Things have changed somewhat but I think that many Australians would be surprised that enforced formal nights still exist on anything but the most expensive cruises.

I'm from Australia and we have long had a tradition of downmarket cruising here. I doubt the party ships that were dominant in the 80's and 90's would ever have gotten away with enforcing dress codes. Things have changed somewhat but I think that many Australians would be surprised that enforced formal nights still exist on anything but the most expensive cruises.

You are right, I am curious as to how things are being handled on Solstice now that she is in Australia. I don't mean by the rules but in reality...

I sailed Celebrity in the 90s and as I stated if you didn't get dressed up for the evening (not just dinner) you didn't eat. No specialties, no room service menus of worth and no buffet for dinner.

This whole discussion on this thread has nothing to do with what clothes people choose to wear or how convienent bringing a jacket with you actually is. The bottom line is that this is akin to changing the rules of a sports game after the game is over.

This whole discussion on this thread has nothing to do with what clothes people choose to wear or how convienent bringing a jacket with you actually is. The bottom line is that this is akin to changing the rules of a sports game after the game is over.

Agreed. I'm on the Solstice out of Auckland on Friday so I'll give a report once I'm back. I'm in Aqua class so I'll be protected from all this nonsense but I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled.

I completely disagree that "smart casual" includes a blazer. It is not required. Wikipedia definition of smart casual is "Smart casual for men includes dress trousers—this includes chinos—a long-sleeve dress shirt, crewneck tees or collared tees, (tie optional), leather loafers or dressy slip-ons, dress socks, a belt, and, if appropriate, a sport coat or blazer. Some interpretations allow for sweaters and knit pullovers paired with button-down shirts; especially v-neck sweaters. Increasingly, dark-coloured jeans are acceptable."

There are other definitions but a jacket is not a required piece of clothing by any of them. Even in office situations and work, suits or jackets and ties are rarely required anymore. We are moving forward fortunately.

Formal has a meaning and as these topics appear with regularity, with significant discussion and debate, there are fewer and fewer people willing to participate in the "dress up" part of the cruise. I would say even less so when cruising the Caribbean for a winter vacation.

Designating the MDR as "the Formal Dining" location during one or two of the nights is quite alright, the rest of the ship should remain as it is. I would even go so far as to suggest the pool deck eateries stay open in the evenings for those that would like to linger poolside in the warm tropical air in the evenings.

Fortunately, we are here today and "years ago" is in the past.

I am heading for a mid winter cruise and vacation and I am not bringing along any blazers, sports jackets, dress shirts or, ties. Pure casual and dress up will be smart casual sans blazer :)

Greetings

From various postings over the last few weeks it seems there are "issues" with Connie. Let's hope Celebrity management will notice and take corrective steps to assure uniformity throughout the fleet.

If each ship is allowed to make their own rules what's to stop some over zealous Hotel Director or Cruise Director (which ever one makes these decisions) from banning jeans on non-formal nights and/or deciding polo/golf shirts are not dressy enough for non-formal nights or even deciding ladies should only be allowed to dine if wearing a dress or skirt. It's not changing the rules after the game, it's changing the rules during the game. You pack with the published rules in mind. Changing the rules after the passengers board the ship is totally insane.

Good Sailing

Tom

On the 12/20 Constellation sailing we dined in Ocean Liners on "Formal" night. A few hours prior (since we ran into the same problem as the OP on Celebrity previously) I went down and asked specifically about that evenings dress code. I was assured it was "Smart Casual". That evening such was the case - even a couple of people in blue jeans.

Tom

First of all, I agree that Celebrity and her parent, RCCL, do need to be more consistant in their rulings but also in enforcing them.

Do not allow underdressed folks in but this is after stating carefully exactly what the dress code is plus when & where also..

This all said, I so agree w/ 'Macruisefan' that a simple blazer & even just 1 (can be cleaned for every formal nite) dressy shirt & tie won't take up much room in a suitcase & solves the 'dressing' up problem for the 'gentlemen'.

As far as the ladies go and I am one, a simple short or long skirt or slacks with lightweight fancier than normal top(s), one small, again lightweight bag, pair of shoes, a string of pearls or any necklace/earrings & formal nites are taken care of. Its not really all that expensive or heavy - never has been for me anyway.

I never understand why folks who want to dine in a 'posh' place want to go without dressing up for the occasion also - its special isn't it?

Hope all had a great Xmas & will have a wonderful, safe New Year! :)

And what part of the dress code do you NOT understand? It clearly states that the dress code in the specialty restaurants is casual on ALL nights. If X expects formal then clearly state this and be consistent. I don't need a lecture from fellow Cruise Critic members on how to dress.

And what part of the dress code do you NOT understand? It clearly states that the dress code in the specialty restaurants is casual on ALL nights. If X expects formal then clearly state this and be consistent. I don't need a lecture from fellow Cruise Critic members on how to dress.

cruisingator, you can get all worked up about this if you choose. All I was saying, and I really think it's worth consideration: How awful is it to just throw a blazer in just in case. You are 100% correct. The rules are clear. But there is (based on responses here) a clear indication that what is posted, and what actually happens can vary. So, you have to ask yourself this: Do you want to head out on your vacation ready to "take on" the cruise staff about this injustice? Do you want to have to be reactive if you find out they are not consistently applying the rules? Do you want to spend any moment of your vacation anticipating the need to, or actually arguing with the staff about something like this? Or, would you prefer to decide that this really isn't a fight worth fighting, and just throw a blazer in your bag?

BTW, is "crusingator" a UF reference???

Archived