Formal attire WAS "required" in specialty Rest.

Trvlr76

I am a dinosaur, I actually wear a pant suit when flying, or boarding, so I do think it very odd that :-

Anyone will pay $20-$40 per person to dine in a speciality dining room in order to dress in jeans and T shirts, shorts and flip flops or similar fashion.

There are many stores where for just one payment of that amount they could buy a jacket or an attractive dress, and have it to wear for more than one night or one cruise.

I can only assume it is not money but ego that drives these people. They actually want a confrontation, they want to be the centre of discussion.

They are like a 3 year old who when it cannot get its own way, lies kicking and screaming.

Another one that can't read. Really?

I am a dinosaur, I actually wear a pant suit when flying, or boarding, so I do think it very odd that :-

Anyone will pay $20-$40 per person to dine in a speciality dining room in order to dress in jeans and T shirts, shorts and flip flops or similar fashion.

There are many stores where for just one payment of that amount they could buy a jacket or an attractive dress, and have it to wear for more than one night or one cruise.

I can only assume it is not money but ego that drives these people. They actually want a confrontation, they want to be the centre of discussion.

They are like a 3 year old who when it cannot get its own way, lies kicking and screaming.

I am with Phoenix_Dream and Cruisingator2 on this one.

Not sure what you are reading into this but methinks you are way off base with your comments.

The folks in question were following the rules, as written by the Cruise Line.

I have sailed X only once before and read many threads over dress attire before hand to be sure we were within all guidelines and in no way offended any of our fellow passengers. After the sailing I found a much to do about nothing and honestly it was not that much different/more refined than any other cruise I had taken, so I chalked that up to it being an Alaska sailing with colder climate.

Here I am again, I sail out on the Connie end of Jan and already booked online Tuscan Grille for dinner on formal night to avoid formal attire. I plan to wear a silky dress with boots that I would consider in no way formal but nice and certainly within X's posted guidelines. DH plans to wear a pair of Dockers with shirt and tie...:confused:

NOW...

Do I go back to the drawing board and re-plan the dinner attire? OR Show up and hope not to be turned away? OR Cancel the reservations and go to buffet? OR Wear what I plan, take along pre printed proof of their policy and insist they seat me? :rolleyes:

I am frustrated that this is happening again & for the record...I did read the whole thread.

I have sailed X only once before and read many threads over dress attire before hand to be sure we were within all guidelines and in no way offended any of our fellow passengers. After the sailing I found a much to do about nothing and honestly it was not that much different/more refined than any other cruise I had taken, so I chalked that up to it being an Alaska sailing with colder climate.

Here I am again, I sail out on the Connie end of Jan and already booked online Tuscan Grille for dinner on formal night to avoid formal attire. I plan to wear a silky dress with boots that I would consider in no way formal but nice and certainly within X's posted guidelines. DH plans to wear a pair of Dockers with shirt and tie...:confused:

NOW...

Do I go back to the drawing board and re-plan the dinner attire? OR Show up and hope not to be turned away? OR Cancel the reservations and go to buffet? OR Wear what I plan, take along pre printed proof of their policy and insist they seat me? :rolleyes:

I am frustrated that this is again happening!!!!

I would plan to wear what I brought, but given the track record from reports, I would ask to meet with the head of the hotel (at his convenience) and ask "their" policy. If they insist that all specialty restaurants are formal, I would show the information from the web site and I would ask him to sign on to the web site from his office (with me there) and look for himself. If he insists it is wrong, I would insist on some communications from HQ stating that fact....or I would ask him to connect me with someone in HQ (manager or above) who would confirm his statement.

Not being a trusting soul, I would be recording the meeting on my ipad or other device...no need to mention it, but just in case I wanted to bring it to HQ attention after the cruise with some irrefutable facts.

We are all frustrated by this....not because it's formal or not...but because some ships or celebrity personnel apparently don't feel the need to follow celebrity's policies.

I would plan to wear what I brought, but given the track record from reports, I would ask to meet with the head of the hotel (at his convenience) and ask "their" policy. If they insist that all specialty restaurants are formal, I would show the information from the web site and I would ask him to sign on to the web site from his office (with me there) and look for himself. If he insists it is wrong, I would insist on some communications from HQ stating that fact....or I would ask him to connect me with someone in HQ (manager or above) who would confirm his statement.

Not being a trusting soul, I would be recording the meeting on my ipad or other device...no need to mention it, but just in case I wanted to bring it to HQ attention after the cruise with some irrefutable facts.

We are all frustrated by this....not because it's formal or not...but because some ships or celebrity personnel apparently don't feel the need to follow celebrity's policies.

Wow are you also going to arrange to have a satellite uplink direct to FBI HQ?

I agree CC needs to get its act together regarding the dress code and how it is to be applied in every venue on every ship and stick with published policy, but honestly if you walked into my office with this sort of attitude you would leave very disappointed.

Also, please everyone report deviations from published policies to HQ so hopefully they can get the on board staff in line with the policy. If they don't then we are all free to vote with our wallets.

... if you walked into my office with this sort of attitude you would leave very disappointed...
Do you own your own company? If so I suppose YOU can do pretty much what you wish. But if you do own the company, do you want your employees disregarding your published rules? I highly doubt it. If I owned the company, I would talk with employees and give them one chance to follow published rules, and then if they chose not to follow those rules they would be gone. An exception to one chance would be the employee who had gone out of their way to have the customer "leave very disappointed" - they would be fired immediately.

Thom

Wow are you also going to arrange to have a satellite uplink direct to FBI HQ?

I agree CC needs to get its act together regarding the dress code and how it is to be applied in every venue on every ship and stick with published policy, but honestly if you walked into my office with this sort of attitude you would leave very disappointed.

Also, please everyone report deviations from published policies to HQ so hopefully they can get the on board staff in line with the policy. If they don't then we are all free to vote with our wallets.

My approach is layered...starts as a discussion then proceeds, only if necessary...it's not an attitude, it's just a rational step by step approach to convince the individual that they may have made a decision that is not in their best interest. As far as the recording, it's just backup because without it, it's "he said, she said".....so it would only be used if I decided to bring it to Celebrity HQ's attention.

Do you have a better approach....other than starting below the hotel director...other than "roll with the punches" which I don't do all that well when it comes to someone making arbitrary decisions counter to corporate policy.

Do you think there is anyone in celebrity corporate HQ who you could contact who would really care about the issue.....Are you aware that they read these forums, they already know about the issue. Calling or writing them is redundant.....yet the "formal everywhere" dictum continues on certain ships.

Do you own your own company? If so I suppose YOU can do pretty much what you wish. But if you do own the company, do you want your employees disregarding your published rules? I highly doubt it. If I owned the company, I would talk with employees and give them one chance to follow published rules, and then if they chose not to follow those rules they would be gone. An exception to one chance would be the employee who had gone out of their way to have the customer "leave very disappointed" - they would be fired immediately.

Thom

No employee is required to put up with abuse from anybody. If you bothered to read the full post you would understand, or maybe not, that there are more polite and ultimately effective ways to effect change.

BTW if one of my employees were treated like this the abusive customer would be required to leave the premises. Abuse is never right.

My approach is layered...starts as a discussion then proceeds, only if necessary...it's not an attitude, it's just a rational step by step approach to convince the individual that they may have made a decision that is not in their best interest. As far as the recording, it's just backup because without it, it's "he said, she said".....so it would only be used if I decided to bring it to Celebrity HQ's attention.

Do you have a better approach....other than starting below the hotel director...other than "roll with the punches" which I don't do all that well when it comes to someone making arbitrary decisions counter to corporate policy.

Do you think there is anyone in celebrity corporate HQ who you could contact who would really care about the issue.....Are you aware that they read these forums, they already know about the issue. Calling or writing them is redundant.....yet the "formal everywhere" dictum continues on certain ships.

Since as you say this is a layered approach let me postulate a potential layered response. What do you do when the hotel director declines to go to the website and tells you to have a nice day? What are your options? Change is most often is generated from the top, occasionally from the bottom, but rarely from the middle which is where you are proposing to effect said change.

Since message boards are poor at expressing emotions I read your post as going in just wanting and expecting a fight. Your reasoned response belays that assumption so I apologize, but still stand by my above response and opinion that your approach will not accomplish your objective.

Providing all of the escalation steps were done with a polite, but insistent, demeanor, I fail to see why this would be considered abusive? I personally would not care to fight this battle while on a relaxing vacation, but as consumers there is really nothing wrong with bringing issues to managers attention, as well as escalating to more senior managers if satisfaction is not reached. Again, if I were to do this I would definitely be polite, but if anyone is being abusive it is Celebrity- of their policy and in some sense of their passengers. It was very embarassing for my son to be stopped at the door of the theater and refused entrance even though he was dressed according to published protocol. It did not ruin our night, but certainly put a damper on our fun that night! The Celebrity staff member had no hesitation about making a bit of a scene in front of other passengers (no, we never got loud nor impolite, but trust me I did debate the point). To embarass people at the doors of restaurants (or in our case theaters) when they are in fact following a corporate policy is where the abuse lies, not in escalating the point (again, provided it is done respectfully). To those who think it is abusive to escalate like this, I respectfully suggest that perhaps if it has happened to you then you might feel differently about just letting it pass.

Providing all of the escalation steps were done with a polite, but insistent, demeanor, I fail to see why this would be considered abusive? I personally would not care to fight this battle while on a relaxing vacation, but as consumers there is really nothing wrong with bringing issues to managers attention, as well as escalating to more senior managers if satisfaction is not reached. Again, if I were to do this I would definitely be polite, but if anyone is being abusive it is Celebrity- of their policy and in some sense of their passengers. It was very embarassing for my son to be stopped at the door of the theater and refused entrance even though he was dressed according to published protocol. It did not ruin our night, but certainly put a damper on our fun that night! The Celebrity staff member had no hesitation about making a bit of a scene in front of other passengers (no, we never got loud nor impolite, but trust me I did debate the point). To embarass people at the doors of restaurants (or in our case theaters) when they are in fact following a corporate policy is where the abuse lies, not in escalating the point (again, provided it is done respectfully). To those who think it is abusive to escalate like this, I respectfully suggest that perhaps if it has happened to you then you might feel differently about just letting it pass.

As I said in a previous response I read his post as going in guns blazing ready and I have apologized to him, but still as I said think his approach will be ineffective.

As for abuse, if you ever spend much time around customer service then you would see the true meaning of abuse by passengers.

As I said in a previous response I read his post as going in guns blazing ready and I have apologized to him, but still as I said think his approach will be ineffective.

As for abuse, if you ever spend much time around customer service then you would see the true meaning of abuse by passengers.

I agree with both of your comments:)

I am waiting for someone's alternate approach that would work better.....

I have no problem with criticism if you have a better approach to effect a change during your cruise.

I do not have a better approach. I am not sure there is a good approach (although I think getting in touch with Celebrity home office when one gets back is worth trying, as I stated in a previous post). I just don't think the approach you suggested would be all that effective but heck, if you want to give it a try more power to you. I was actually defending you if you read back a few posts. If you are successful then many would benefit.:)

I do not have a better approach. I am not sure there is a good approach (although I think getting in touch with Celebrity home office when one gets back is worth trying, as I stated in a previous post). I just don't think the approach you suggested would be all that effective but heck, if you want to give it a try more power to you. I was actually defending you if you read back a few posts. If you are successful then many would benefit.:)

Did you get hold of anyone at head office or did you let it go when it happened to your son?

Okay, I'm just throwing this out there. Feel free to flame away. Personally, I can't imagine heading out of town for more than an overnight or two without just throwing in a blazer. Usually, I wear it on the flight, and maybe never again. If I don't need it, eventually I stuff it in one of my bags, and iron it (or drop it off at the cleaners) when I get home. Seriously, we're not talking about a three piece suit or a formal gown. It takes up less space than a pair of pants.

Unless it's a camping trip or the like, I just see it as silly to leave home for more than a couple days without one. To me, it's part of being a grown male. Whether I plan on using it or not, part of being a man, or dare I say a gentleman, is being able to adapt. Who knows what's going to come up.

I'm totally understanding of not wanting to wear one. And I even get planning a trip so you don't have to. But at the end of the day, it's so much easier to just throw one in.

I agree with you, a nice sport coat 2 pairs of dress pants 2 ties and a white shirt. Most Men own one even if its for special occasions. I made sure my 20 y.o. has one ready and pressed in case he needs it:)

Unfortunately the cruise line does have very clear guidelines but apparently the crew on the Constellation either didn't get the memo or can't read the web site. Ultimately that is however the cruise lines fault.

I agree with you 100%.I cancelled 2 cruises for 2013 after cruising with Celebrity over 35 times becauuse of the dress code mess.My cruise dollars will be directed to REGENT and OCEANA instead.It is not about the money,it's about the communication and execution of the Celebrity dress code,and the attitudes of the senior staff toward the passengers who pay their salaries.

I agree with you 100%.I cancelled 2 cruises for 2013 after cruising with Celebrity over 35 times becauuse of the dress code mess.My cruise dollars will be directed to REGENT and OCEANA instead.It is not about the money,it's about the communication and execution of the Celebrity dress code,and the attitudes of the senior staff toward the passengers who pay their salaries.

Friends of ours did the same today...they dropped a Equinox cruise and booked with Oceania instead...they said it's a vacation, they're not prepared to deal with idiots.

Love X and we refuse to pay a premium for the privilege of wearing the same clothes we wear around the house to a $80 dinner to avoid formal nights, or many $$$'s to escape to another cruise line that says my DH doesn't have to wear a jacket. We are off for almost 7 weeks in June, two cruises, (26 days), a week in Rome and a week in Paris, 2 long train rides. We are taking a Tux and 2 mix and match formal outfits for me. One checked and one carry on each - no problem/no stress/no buffet/no Blu/no $$$ and we are prepared for anything. Helps that I would rather be overdressed than underdressed as well:D:D Really don't worry too much about the fine print in the "dress code". Small, small bump in the big scheme of things. We also do not stress on the "principle" of things either - at least not while on vacation. How ever this situation is resolved or the reasoning behind it, is still very much a mystery but it should/will not affect us:)

Archived