Formal attire WAS "required" in specialty Rest.

Trvlr76

Celebrity Guests,

Our dress code for specialty restaurants remains smart casual for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the Main Dining Room. Thanks to all who have participated and this discourse to make us aware of any inconsistencies. Please keep us updated on the issue.

Thanks

Celebrity Cruises Manager (E.S.P)

Hi, thanks for the reply~ I agree with other responses....respectfully,

you need to address the issues with your staff/Restaurant Managers,

Maitr'd's, whoever else is involved with F&B on the ships.

I would think you would keep the consumer updated, not vice versa:eek:

Hi, thanks for the reply~ I agree with other responses....respectfully,

you need to address the issues with your staff/Restaurant Managers,

Maitr'd's, whoever else is involved with F&B on the ships.

I would think you would keep the consumer updated, not vice versa:eek:

I took his statement to mean that they will be addressing the issue, and that if we (as posters on CC and the consumers) find that the policy is not being followed, we should let them know. They only became aware of the problem because consumers reported it; similarly, they can only be 100% sure that it has been rectified by our reports.

I fully expect that we will be able to report full compliance amongst the staff in short order. :-)

The problem with the printed word...I took the Celebrity response completely differently. I took it to mean that they appreciated our pointing out inconsistencies not that they are asking us to do their job somehow. I've said about the same thing to clients. "Thanks for letting me know there was a problem." I think it should be a given they will follow up with the offenders. To think they wouldn't doesn't give Celebrity much credit.

Celebrity Guests,

Our dress code for specialty restaurants remains smart casual for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the Main Dining Room. Thanks to all who have participated and this discourse to make us aware of any inconsistencies. Please keep us updated on the issue.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. Happy New Year !

Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased that Celebrity responded to my email sent on Monday. Their response confirms what myself and many others suspected - that their policy for Specialty Dining has not changed.

FWIW, I'm also confident this item will be resolved immediately.

For better or worse, all things must pass.

Celebrity's official policy is pretty good in my opinion. So long as it is enforced appropriately it allows for formal/elegant and smart casual to co-exist peacefully.

Celebrity Guests,

Thanks

Thank you.

I usually agree with you but not in this case. This is a case of having expectations (no jacket) as per Celebrity's web site, booklets, wherever you want to look. You then go on the cruise and those expectations are then raised and you are legitimately not prepared for it. Throwing a jacket in your suitcase or wearing it has nothing to do with the discussion. Its not really an argument, what the ship did was dead wrong.

Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when the people on Summit required formal dress on formal nights in the theater. You want to lower the standards that's fine because people are prepared for that but you can't raise them on a particular cruise because people are rightfully not prepared for that.

Obviously you didn't understand what I was saying. My comments were only about how annoyed people are. I don't think they should require something that they said was not necessary either just as I think they should actually enforce what they advertise. I'm sure you've been around long enough to know that when they changed the dress code from the "informal" designation they had, they thought people would understand that smart casual was going to provide a more dressy ambiance every night and they wouldn't have to worry about people showing up in extremely casual clothing in the evenings.

They were mistaken about that.

I completely disagree that "smart casual" includes a blazer. It is not required. Wikipedia definition of smart casual is "Smart casual for men includes dress trousers—this includes chinos—a long-sleeve dress shirt, crewneck tees or collared tees, (tie optional), leather loafers or dressy slip-ons, dress socks, a belt, and, if appropriate, a sport coat or blazer. Some interpretations allow for sweaters and knit pullovers paired with button-down shirts; especially v-neck sweaters. Increasingly, dark-coloured jeans are acceptable."

There are other definitions but a jacket is not a required piece of clothing by any of them. Even in office situations and work, suits or jackets and ties are rarely required anymore. We are moving forward fortunately.

Formal has a meaning and as these topics appear with regularity, with significant discussion and debate, there are fewer and fewer people willing to participate in the "dress up" part of the cruise. I would say even less so when cruising the Caribbean for a winter vacation.

Designating the MDR as "the Formal Dining" location during one or two of the nights is quite alright, the rest of the ship should remain as it is. I would even go so far as to suggest the pool deck eateries stay open in the evenings for those that would like to linger poolside in the warm tropical air in the evenings.

Fortunately, we are here today and "years ago" is in the past.

I am heading for a mid winter cruise and vacation and I am not bringing along any blazers, sports jackets, dress shirts or, ties. Pure casual and dress up will be smart casual sans blazer :)

It's fine if you would like to disagree but I didn't say a blazer was "required" for smart casual, I said it was included in the definition of "smart" casual for many men.

And what part of the dress code do you NOT understand? It clearly states that the dress code in the specialty restaurants is casual on ALL nights. If X expects formal then clearly state this and be consistent. I don't need a lecture from fellow Cruise Critic members on how to dress.

Actually it states that the dress code is smart casual, not casual.

Here is the reply on behalf of Mr. Bailey.

RE: Email to President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises Mr. Michael Bayley

Dear Mr. *****,

We apologize for the delay in response. Thank you for your recent email to

our new President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises, Mr. Michael Bayley. We are

happy to welcome him to our family and appreciate the opportunity we have

to learn from his vast experience.

We are grateful to hear directly from one of our most valuable assets, our

guests, of the excitement of your first Celebrity Cruises. We strive as a

company to ensure we continue the Modern Luxury experience both at home and

onboard. We assure you, while Mr. Bayley is not able to personally respond,

all comments are being read with great interested and are being tracked.

Our Specialty Dining Venues onboard have a dress code of Smart Casual or

above. The definition of Smart Casual is as follows. Guest of course can

choose to dress more formally on Formal nights if they so wish.

Smart Casual is defined as below:

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by

sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports

shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and

pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at

any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a

courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with

dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally,

guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the

Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Mr. *****, thank you for your email. We look forward to offering you the

Modern Luxury experience you have become accustomed to onboard again soon

and many cruises to come.

Happy New Year

On behalf of Mr. Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises

Executive Loyalty Consultant

Trade Support and Service

Celebrity

Here is the reply on behalf of Mr. Bailey.

RE: Email to President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises Mr. Michael Bayley

Dear Mr. *****,

We apologize for the delay in response. Thank you for your recent email to

our new President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises, Mr. Michael Bayley. We are

happy to welcome him to our family and appreciate the opportunity we have

to learn from his vast experience.

We are grateful to hear directly from one of our most valuable assets, our

guests, of the excitement of your first Celebrity Cruises. We strive as a

company to ensure we continue the Modern Luxury experience both at home and

onboard. We assure you, while Mr. Bayley is not able to personally respond,

all comments are being read with great interested and are being tracked.

above. The definition of Smart Casual is as follows. Guest of course can

choose to dress more formally on Formal nights if they so wish.

Smart Casual is defined as below:

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by

sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports

shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and

pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at

any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a

courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with

dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally,

guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the

Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Mr. *****, thank you for your email. We look forward to offering you the

Modern Luxury experience you have become accustomed to onboard again soon

and many cruises to come.

Happy New Year

On behalf of Mr. Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises

Executive Loyalty Consultant

Trade Support and Service

Celebrity

I apppreciate that they responded to the email. The letter is not telling us anything that we don't know and I wonder if the memo was sent to all the ships to abide by the dress code. That is what is missing from this letter.

I apppreciate that they responded to the email. The letter is not telling us anything that we don't know and I wonder if the memo was sent to all the ships to abide by the dress code. That is what is missing from this letter.

Yeah...like was this message conveyed to the ships/ships officers??

Very few businesses will share specific personnel issues with the consumer.

I agree that this letter did not address the concern very well, but I think that the one that was posted by Andy did, and I suspect there will be a change.

In that case I hope there won't be too many people upset when they are not admitted to the MDR in their sport coats, after all, the dress code is clearly posted on the website and all the people who abide by it would expect everyone to comply since they read it on the website.

In that case I hope there won't be too many people upset when they are not admitted to the MDR in their sport coats, after all, the dress code is clearly posted on the website and all the people who abide by it would expect everyone to comply since they read it on the website.

Enjoyed this! :D

Probably not since as we have seen, many people apparently interpret wrongfully that a dinner jacket is a sport coat. Wouldn't be surprised if the good people on board do the same thing since there appears to be a wide generational gap on that definition.

above.

The problem with this reply, especially if a Maitre'D or hotel director does not speak English as a first language, as this can be misinterpreted. The specialty restaurant can enforce a dress code of smart casual OR above. It's really "smart casual AND above."

I appreciate the replies, and the effort of those who took the time to email Celebrity. I agree that what is missing from the responses is some kind of statement that they are going to ensure that the code is enforced across the fleet. In some ways, the responses seemed more like a clarification for the person who contacted them than anything. I think they could have indicated that they intend to re-emphasize these rules to their employees without compromising some kind of employer/employee relationship or confidentiality. Big corporations send out these kind of communications regularly. There seems to be alot of faith that the issue will die. I guess I'm pretty skeptical because I don't think it will. I would like to be wrong and hope I am, but Celebrity's inconsistencies have been pretty considerable in recent years - one of my (very) few gripes with them.

I read the first post amd most inbetween. Had to reply now though as, to be honest, I think it can all be summed up in one sentence "Why has Celebrity gone against their own policy?"

The ship's officers (or those in charge of such things) got it wrong whether we agree with formal nights or not -

End of

Celebrity Guests,

Thanks

We are currently aboard Constellation Jan 7-12 sailing. Last night was formal night and we dined in Tuscan Grille where formal wear was not required. So it would appear the management of the ship has taken appropriate action and is now following company policy. At least from my experience/observation.

I did, however, thoroughly read through the Celebrity Today paper yesterday and was unable to find anything printed that would inform customers that dress code in the Specialty restaurants remains Smart Casual despite it being formal night. I also looked through the large booklet in our stateroom, and it, too, makes no mention of the above policy. I'm wondering if possibly these publications are older and have not been updated since Celebrity went to the nightly smart casual dress code in the specialty restaurants? If I was a passenger who didn't follow Cruise Critic, I would be led to believe formal wear was required in any restaurant on formal night as I couldn't find anything in print to the contrary. By that I'm not making any statement that I personally believe the specialty restaurants should or shouldn't have a formal dress code on formal night, I'm just saying your average Joe won't be able to determine by what's in print aboard the ship.

We are currently aboard Constellation Jan 7-12 sailing. Last night was formal night and we dined in Tuscan Grille where formal wear was not required. So it would appear the management of the ship has taken appropriate action and is now following company policy. At least from my experience/observation.

I did, however, thoroughly read through the Celebrity Today paper yesterday and was unable to find anything printed that would inform customers that dress code in the Specialty restaurants remains Smart Casual despite it being formal night. I also looked through the large booklet in our stateroom, and it, too, makes no mention of the above policy. I'm wondering if possibly these publications are older and have not been updated since Celebrity went to the nightly smart casual dress code in the specialty restaurants? If I was a passenger who didn't follow Cruise Critic, I would be led to believe formal wear was required in any restaurant on formal night as I couldn't find anything in print to the contrary. By that I'm not making any statement that I personally believe the specialty restaurants should or shouldn't have a formal dress code on formal night, I'm just saying your average Joe won't be able to determine by what's in print aboard the ship.

Host Andy, can you pass this post along to your contact at Celebrity?

Archived