Formal attire WAS "required" in specialty Rest.

Trvlr76

cruisingator, you can get all worked up about this if you choose. All I was saying, and I really think it's worth consideration: How awful is it to just throw a blazer in just in case. You are 100% correct. The rules are clear. But there is (based on responses here) a clear indication that what is posted, and what actually happens can vary. So, you have to ask yourself this: Do you want to head out on your vacation ready to "take on" the cruise staff about this injustice? Do you want to have to be reactive if you find out they are not consistently applying the rules? Do you want to spend any moment of your vacation anticipating the need to, or actually arguing with the staff about something like this? Or, would you prefer to decide that this really isn't a fight worth fighting, and just throw a blazer in your bag?

BTW, is "crusingator" a UF reference???

I am not getting worked up. It is very simple. I am going by what is printed on a cruise lines website. Period!!! And again, I don't need anyone to tell me how I should dress. I have been cruising long enough that I know the drill and yes I follow the rules but I expect the cruise staff to know their own policy and not make it up as they go along.

Yes, it is a reference to the UF.

I am not getting worked up. It is very simple. I am going by what is printed on a cruise lines website. Period!!! And again, I don't need anyone to tell me how I should dress. I have been cruising long enough that I know the drill and yes I follow the rules but I expect the cruise staff to know their own policy and not make it up as they go along.

Yes, it is a reference to the UF.

I wan't trying to tell you how you "should" dress. Others may have been, but that was not my intention. One of the problems with forums such as this, is it's impossible to insinuate tone from text. I read your last text with a tone of indignance. My bad. I totally respect doing what is printed. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks. If they were telling you you needed a tux, I would have an issue with it. But I'm so used to having a blazer that personally I can't imagine leaving home without one. So, from my perspective, I can't see this as an issue. But I do respect where you're coming from.

BTW, I actually went to UM, but my best friend was at transferred to UF halfway through, and then went to law school there. When I was in med school, I spent two months on an elective at Shands. Always thought of Gainesville as my second college home!

First of all, I agree that Celebrity and her parent, RCCL, do need to be more consistant in their rulings but also in enforcing them.

Do not allow underdressed folks in but this is after stating carefully exactly what the dress code is plus when & where also..

This all said, I so agree w/ 'Macruisefan' that a simple blazer & even just 1 (can be cleaned for every formal nite) dressy shirt & tie won't take up much room in a suitcase & solves the 'dressing' up problem for the 'gentlemen'.

As far as the ladies go and I am one, a simple short or long skirt or slacks with lightweight fancier than normal top(s), one small, again lightweight bag, pair of shoes, a string of pearls or any necklace/earrings & formal nites are taken care of. Its not really all that expensive or heavy - never has been for me anyway.

I never understand why folks who want to dine in a 'posh' place want to go without dressing up for the occasion also - its special isn't it?

Hope all had a great Xmas & will have a wonderful, safe New Year! :)

+ 1

There should be consistent policies communicated consistently, X fails at this often. OP has very valid point. However, it is not too hard to get a bit more 'formal' in look...There are also other cruise lines to choose where formal is never a consideration....

Not true on Solstice in October, no formal dress required in Murano on formal nights!

I'm sure it was that way when I sailed too. But all it takes is one Maitre'D or hotel director to read a brochure that has old rules in it (or in my case, the interactive TV system dress code policy) and have a sign printed up, like the one the OP saw.

I wan't trying to tell you how you "should" dress. Others may have been, but that was not my intention. One of the problems with forums such as this, is it's impossible to insinuate tone from text. I read your last text with a tone of indignance. My bad. I totally respect doing what is printed. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks. If they were telling you you needed a tux, I would have an issue with it. But I'm so used to having a blazer that personally I can't imagine leaving home without one. So, from my perspective, I can't see this as an issue. But I do respect where you're coming from.

BTW, I actually went to UM, but my best friend was at transferred to UF halfway through, and then went to law school there. When I was in med school, I spent two months on an elective at Shands. Always thought of Gainesville as my second college home!

I think when you make statements like:

Unless it's a camping trip or the like, I just see it as silly to leave home for more than a couple days without one. To me, it's part of being a grown male. Whether I plan on using it or not, part of being a man, or dare I say a gentleman, is being able to adapt.

I think you threw down the gauntlet, so to speak, for strong reactions from those of us who are (perish the thought) quite successful grown men.

It is not only Connie that has inconsistent policies. On the Eclipse a couple cruises ago, my (adult) son was not allowed to enter the theater during the Captains welcome thing without following the formal dress code (he was dressed in smart casual). It was very embarassing for him and really annoyed me. On our last cruise on Summit, men could enter the theater on that night without a jacket, but only on one of the two floors. Both of these are contrary to Celebrity's stated policy. I think this is wrong, wrong, wrong. It has nothing to do with one's opinion of men wearing a jacket or not and in my opinion that argument is totally off point and irrelevant in this thread. The point is that the website and written documents say one thing, when you get to the ship you encounter something else - on some ships; sometimes. I love Celebrity (20+ cruises on them!) but this is one of my pet peeves - meaning the inconsistency. Make your policies, stick with them, and I will do my part to abide by them. Don't risk frustrating and embarassing people by changing them on a whim.

It's really unfortunate that Mr Bayley isn't reading this thread.....

Maybe someone else who works for Celebrity and is reading this could post an "official" statement on this extremely annoying issue.

Maybe someone should email the link to the thread to his office. The thread goes beyond dress, it has to do with inconsistent policies and changing the rules of the game after its over.

This is really dismaying. We had planned to eat in specilaty restaurants on Eclipse next March to avoid having to wear formal attire. The fourteen-night cruise has three formal nights. Now I am concerned that this is some new cruiseline-wide policy requiring formal attire in all restaurants on formal nights. Could it just be Constellation or is it fleetwide?

good, i hope it is the new policy.You can always eat in the buffet on formal nights if you want to dress casual, then that leaves passengers who want to dress formaly get the most out of paying large sums to eat in expensive restaurants in more of a "special occasion " atmosphere , fingers crossed

Okay, I'm just throwing this out there. Feel free to flame away. Personally, I can't imagine heading out of town for more than an overnight or two without just throwing in a blazer. Usually, I wear it on the flight, and maybe never again. If I don't need it, eventually I stuff it in one of my bags, and iron it (or drop it off at the cleaners) when I get home. Seriously, we're not talking about a three piece suit or a formal gown. It takes up less space than a pair of pants.

Unless it's a camping trip or the like, I just see it as silly to leave home for more than a couple days without one. To me, it's part of being a grown male. Whether I plan on using it or not, part of being a man, or dare I say a gentleman, is being able to adapt. Who knows what's going to come up.

I'm totally understanding of not wanting to wear one. And I even get planning a trip so you don't have to. But at the end of the day, it's so much easier to just throw one in.

here, here

Tux is at dry cleaners for next week's cruise. Going with the flow is the easiest. (Plus I get extra smiles on formal nights... and a bit more.)

yes, my husband will be doing the same.Love him in a tux, he just does as he is told !! paysoff though !! lol !! naughty, naughty

First of all, I agree that Celebrity and her parent, RCCL, do need to be more consistant in their rulings but also in enforcing them.

Do not allow underdressed folks in but this is after stating carefully exactly what the dress code is plus when & where also..

This all said, I so agree w/ 'Macruisefan' that a simple blazer & even just 1 (can be cleaned for every formal nite) dressy shirt & tie won't take up much room in a suitcase & solves the 'dressing' up problem for the 'gentlemen'.

As far as the ladies go and I am one, a simple short or long skirt or slacks with lightweight fancier than normal top(s), one small, again lightweight bag, pair of shoes, a string of pearls or any necklace/earrings & formal nites are taken care of. Its not really all that expensive or heavy - never has been for me anyway.

I never understand why folks who want to dine in a 'posh' place want to go without dressing up for the occasion also - its special isn't it?

Hope all had a great Xmas & will have a wonderful, safe New Year! :)

my thoughts exactley,

I think it is strange that people book a cruise line knowing that there are formal evenings then complain about it, why not book a line that doesn't have formal evenings.

YES, YES, YES, YES !! so true, been wanting to say that, but u got there before me

I think it is strange that people book a cruise line knowing that there are formal evenings then complain about it, why not book a line that doesn't have formal evenings.[/

I think it's strange that people book a cruise knowing that a line states in its policy that formal a wear is not necessary in their specialty restaurants complain about people who try to conform to the dress code policy as stated by not wearing formal wear in the specialty restaurants.

YES, YES, YES, YES !! so true, been wanting to say that, but u got there before me

Wrong. I booked a cruise which explicitly states NO formal attire is required in any local OTHER THAN the MDR on formal nights. What don't YOU understand about this policy?

I think it is strange that people book a cruise line knowing that there are formal evenings then complain about it, why not book a line that doesn't have formal evenings.[/

I think it's strange that people book a cruise knowing that a line states in its policy that formal a wear is not necessary in their specialty restaurants complain about people who try to conform to the dress code policy as stated by not wearing formal wear in the specialty restaurants.

Thank you! that's the point exactly! I absolutely promise not to go to the MDR in inappropriate clothing on formal night if you promise to leave me alone when i am following the dress code.

good, i hope it is the new policy.You can always eat in the buffet on formal nights if you want to dress casual, then that leaves passengers who want to dress formaly get the most out of paying large sums to eat in expensive restaurants in more of a "special occasion " atmosphere , fingers crossed

as long as they leave Blu alone.......

and fwiw, I just don't understand how my elegant casual dress affects anyone else's enjoyment - but then that's just me....

I'll follow the rules, but i'll not be bullied into doing more just because someone thinks i ought to - be it a fellow cruiser or a cruise ship employee

Okay, I'm just throwing this out there. Feel free to flame away. Personally, I can't imagine heading out of town for more than an overnight or two without just throwing in a blazer. Usually, I wear it on the flight, and maybe never again. If I don't need it, eventually I stuff it in one of my bags, and iron it (or drop it off at the cleaners) when I get home. Seriously, we're not talking about a three piece suit or a formal gown. It takes up less space than a pair of pants.

Unless it's a camping trip or the like, I just see it as silly to leave home for more than a couple days without one. To me, it's part of being a grown male. Whether I plan on using it or not, part of being a man, or dare I say a gentleman, is being able to adapt. Who knows what's going to come up.

I'm totally understanding of not wanting to wear one. And I even get planning a trip so you don't have to. But at the end of the day, it's so much easier to just throw one in.

Agree withyou completely...its about being ready for "anything" more than being ready for "formal night" so to speak. My DH always has a jacket when we go anywhere whether it be a cruise or something else....never know when you might need one....it's too easy to not do....although I know there are many here that disagree...I like the idea of being prepared for all circumstances....

I think when you make statements like:

Unless it's a camping trip or the like, I just see it as silly to leave home for more than a couple days without one. To me, it's part of being a grown male. Whether I plan on using it or not, part of being a man, or dare I say a gentleman, is being able to adapt.

I think you threw down the gauntlet, so to speak, for strong reactions from those of us who are (perish the thought) quite successful grown men.

Yes, but in my defense, when I wrote that last night, I WAS drunk!;)

Like most others I wish Celebrity would clearly establish their dress code policies, publish them and then enforce them. This includes allowing people who are dressed in a smart casual manner to eat anywhere except the MDR and denying entrance to the MDR to those who do not dress in accordance with CC's formal dress code. Seems like such a simple thing to do.

As others have said I always took a coat on travel. You just never knew where you might be invited to eat. Best to be prepared, but should not be necessary on Celebrity.

I completely disagree that "smart casual" includes a blazer. It is not required. Wikipedia definition of smart casual is "Smart casual for men includes dress trousers—this includes chinos—a long-sleeve dress shirt, crewneck tees or collared tees, (tie optional), leather loafers or dressy slip-ons, dress socks, a belt, and, if appropriate, a sport coat or blazer. Some interpretations allow for sweaters and knit pullovers paired with button-down shirts; especially v-neck sweaters. Increasingly, dark-coloured jeans are acceptable."

There are other definitions but a jacket is not a required piece of clothing by any of them. Even in office situations and work, suits or jackets and ties are rarely required anymore. We are moving forward fortunately.

Formal has a meaning and as these topics appear with regularity, with significant discussion and debate, there are fewer and fewer people willing to participate in the "dress up" part of the cruise. I would say even less so when cruising the Caribbean for a winter vacation.

Designating the MDR as "the Formal Dining" location during one or two of the nights is quite alright, the rest of the ship should remain as it is. I would even go so far as to suggest the pool deck eateries stay open in the evenings for those that would like to linger poolside in the warm tropical air in the evenings...

I agree that Wikipedia's definition of smart casual pretty much agrees with what normally appears in my mind. But when you say "There are other definitions [of smart casual] but a jacket is not a required piece of clothing by any of them" you happen to be entirely wrong as the RCI website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq specifies [as far as they are concerned] that Smart Casual is Jackets and ties for men.

I may not agree with this definition, you might not agree with this definition, but it is RCI's definition.

Thom

I agree that Wikipedia's definition of smart casual pretty much agrees with what normally appears in my mind. But when you say "There are other definitions [of smart casual] but a jacket is not a required piece of clothing by any of them" you happen to be entirely wrong as the RCI website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq specifies [as far as they are concerned] that Smart Casual is Jackets and ties for men.

I may not agree with this definition, you might not agree with this definition, but it is RCI's definition.

Thom

But it is not Celebrity's definition and we are talking about a Celebrity ship, not an RCI ship, two seperate cruise lines..

For about the millionth time it seems...

Examples of "Smart Casual & Above" attire include:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Archived