Should we be concerned about baggage delays?

wrg11

This will be our first cruise and first vacation since our honeymoon 12 years ago and I just want everything to run smoothly. Should I be concerned with the possibility of delayed or lost baggage? We're flying in the morning of and due to arrive at 10:00am. What do you think? Thanks.

I never take a chance and fly into a port city the same day as embarking a ship. Delayed luggage could make for miserable cruise. To me it is well worth the price of a hotel room for the night for both the peace of mind re: my luggage making it, and boarding after a night of rest.

I don't think you'll have any problems. If you had a tight connection, that would be another story but with a direct flight just make sure you get to the airport early enough so your luggage has plenty of time to get to the aircraft.

Have a wonderful well-deserved vacation!!

you'll probably be fine, but just in case, pack smart. i pack my carry on as if it is the only bag ill have. small toiletries, pj's, swimsuit, underwear and socks, two excursion outfits and two dresses, flip flops and heels make it into my carry on.

another piece of advice i got on here was to cross pack - half of your things in your husbands bag and half his in yours in case only one bag makes it. i havent done it because having my things disorganized and my husbands packing style would drive me nuts.

good luck and happy travels!

Flying into Ft. Lauderdale from Philadelphia on Southwest Airlines on Saturday, April 20, 2013.

It doesn't sound at all risky to me, despite the timid comments here.

Of course anything can go wrong, but if you fly in a day

or two early for every cruise, before long, the sum of your pre-cruise

stays cost more than the cruise you're trying to get to.

Sure, your bags could be mis-directed. If you're really worried,

purchase the insurance.

The only thing I would do is pay close attention to the weather

in your departure city. If a blizzard is forecast for the day you're

to leave, THEN pay a change fee and try and fly out the day before.

Many people fly in the day of the cruise, including many who

purchase their air from the cruise line. In general, it must work

out ok.

You should be fine. I'd do three things:

1. Cross-pack your things between the two bags so that if one bag doesn't make it, one of you won't have anything.

2. Put your cruise tags on each bag before the flight. This will help someone identify your bag quicker should it be delayed for any reason.

3. Do not pack medicine, document, anything of value, or anything you need in your bag. Put them in your carry-on.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Arriving they day before is advisable during winter travel but is a lot less important in April. Don't stress about flying day of in mid-April.

Direct flights have a lower risk of luggage going missing. To be safe though, as was suggested above, cross pack some of your clothes in their luggage and some of their clothes in your luggage. Bring a change of clothing and a swim suit in your carryon, and pack all essentials (meds/documents/electronics) as hand luggage (both flying and boarding the ship).

A small travel insurance policy never hurts (if it isn't too late), even if you only insure one person traveling you half your risks and could tap some of the assistance if needed. But cruising in April is great - easy weather, less stress, and shoulder season for lower fares. I've done it twice and love that time to travel!

Enjoy your well earned vacation!

Oh, and make sure you get to check-in for your flight really early. Most baggage delays on direct flights are because people checked in an hour before the flight. I always make sure I'm at least an hour and a half to two hours before my flight for check-in, even for a short domestic US flight.

My wife and I arrived in Anchorage, Alaska for an Alaska cruise on September 9th--a day before we were to sail. Unfortunately, our luggage did not. The airline promised to have it at the hotel the next morning, but did not. They assured us it would meet us at the ship prior to the 4:30 sailing time, but again failed. Three days late our luggage arrive aboard ship in Skagway. Meanwhile, Princess had been wonderful--providing us with free laundry for the two outfits we each had, providing a tux for me and suitable clothing for my wife for formal night, and negotiating with the airline to compensate us for items we had to buy in the ship's boutiques. All the lessons were good--we learned we could travel lighter, we met some wonderful people, and had some great stories to tell.

As others have said, it's great to be able to fly down a day or more in advance. If I had to fly the day of the cruise, I'd try to book the earliest nonstop flight (as you have done). That way you don't have to worry about any connections for yourself or for your luggage. When we sailed on the Crown Princess last December, we flew on a Southwest flight the morning of the cruise. The Crown was dealing with norovirus last year as well, so checkin was delayed. We had time to drop our luggage off at the dock and then walk over to Total Wine to pick up a few last-minute bottles and eat lunch at the diner in the same shopping center.

What I do is print up a document that indicates my dates of travel and who/how to contact if the luggage is lost.

On my luggage tag, it's written in black Sharpie to look inside the front pocket of the bag for information.

That way, I can tailor the contact info as necessary.

For example, for my flight to the port, I include the contact info for the Cruise line, ship name, cabin #, sailing date, and my cell number.

For the flight home, I list my home address and cell number.

good luck and have fun.

you'll probably be fine, but just in case, pack smart. i pack my carry on as if it is the only bag ill have. small toiletries, pj's, swimsuit, underwear and socks, two excursion outfits and two dresses, flip flops and heels make it into my carry on.

This is the best advice .....pack a carry on as if it might be your only bag.

Things should be good since you are taking a nonstop. To be on the safe side take a small carry-on. Also I believe that Princess has a hot line to help guests with any problems which could arise on sailing date. Get the number from Princess (website or call them if necessary). They are there to help. Have a great cruise.:):)

another piece of advice i got on here was to cross pack - half of your things in your husbands bag and half his in yours in case only one bag makes it. i havent done it because having my things disorganized and my husbands packing style would drive me nuts.

good luck and happy travels!

Absolutely! I always pack my carry-on with the thought in mind that my larger piece of luggage may not make it. So far I've been lucky:)

Archived