Personal Hair Dryers Allowed?

dongordon

Yes. The only ship with a restriction is the Spirit due to voltage.

However all of the ships I've been on have really good hairdryers. I never bring one from home.

I have long hair and found the one's on the Epic were perfect...liked it better than my home one :)

I have long hair and found the one's on the Epic were perfect...liked it better than my home one :)

Wife said the same thing about Epic and Jewel. More than adequate for her needs and not worth using up space in the luggage

Only ship that you should consider bringing your own hair dryer is the SUN. The cabins on the SUN have box-type with hose, mounted on the bathroom wall above the toilet. I hated it so I bought a hand hair dryer in the first port of call on the Sun's South America cruise.

On all other ships the hair dryer (hand held) are fine - I used them and was happy with them.

Whether they allow personal hair dryers or not seems to be variable without any way to predict. If you want to bring one, do...if they hold it for you until the last night, no harm.

Most feel that the shipboard dryers (typically by the vanity area vs in the bathroom) are pretty good. There are no diffusers or other attachments, however.

My wife has already reminded me that we will be packing a hair dryer for a cruise I booked aboard the Sun for later this year. She does remember damp hair on our first cruise aboard the Sun, if fact she won't let me forget it.:eek:

I have a hair dryer on my packing list for the Sun as well. This will be our 4th time sailing the Sun. The ones they provide are awful - stuck on the wall in the bathroom. Love so many things about the ship.. but don't forget the hair dryer. :)

Anyone know what the hair-driers are like on Jade inside cabins? are they in the bathroom? in the cabin next to the vanity with hold down buttons ? or next to the vanity with a normal switch?

I would like the same questions answered, but for Epic inside cabins. Thanks

I tried using the hairdryer on the Star. It was located in a drawer in the dressing table with the cord going through the back of the drawer to some hidden outlet. I found the cord to be too short when trying to stand and style my hair. In general, I have found them to be less hot and airflow not as forceful as my dryer. I suspect that if you have straight hair and are just looking for airflow to DRY, not to actually STYLE with a brush you will be fine.

I always bring my own and have never had one confiscated. I'm afraid there would be mutiny:)

• 2 years later...
I tried using the hairdryer on the Star. It was located in a drawer in the dressing table with the cord going through the back of the drawer to some hidden outlet. I found the cord to be too short when trying to stand and style my hair. In general, I have found them to be less hot and airflow not as forceful as my dryer. I suspect that if you have straight hair and are just looking for airflow to DRY, not to actually STYLE with a brush you will be fine.

I always bring my own and have never had one confiscated. I'm afraid there would be mutiny:)

Does anyone know if the hair dryers on the Breakaway are hand held hair dryers with a difusser? also are they located in the drawer or underneath the vanity? Also are they full size hair dryers and have a choice of settings like hot, warm, or cool?

cathy

Full size hairdryer without diffuser in stainless steel ? housing (1000 watts, I believe) on BA's typical balcony (and inside) runs on 220-240 voltage - hi/low speed but I don't recall temperature setting. Mrs. M has long & curly hair and she had no complaint. It's stored inside/below the dresser with the power plug recessed/hidden behind one of the swing-open door (as there are no drawers per se)

Yes. The only ship with a restriction is the Spirit due to voltage.

However all of the ships I've been on have really good hairdryers. I never bring one from home.

So, just to clarify, I cannot take my own hairdryer on board the Spirit? Will they confiscate it?

So, just to clarify, I cannot take my own hairdryer on board the Spirit? Will they confiscate it?

I have no use for a hair dryer than to rapidly dry sink laundered clothing.

My chrome dome wards off the forces of the hair drying into uncharted directions.

The ONLY big concern I would have about a hair dryer is if NCL is providing it

is it safe to use electrically (SHOCK & AWE HAZARD) especially those mounted

in a bathroom with lots of places to ground out electricity. Now if you bring

your own can you use it safely without the hazard of electrocution. Also how much

current your hairdryer will pull before your in cabin circuit breaker or sector

of cabins breaker cuts the current requiring a ship's officer (engineer) to reset

the breaker somewhere in a passageway out side your cabin.

While I am assured that NCL has taken all the precautions with their own hair

drying equipment - ??? what about your own. Concern about ships with dual

power outlets (110/220) - use a 110 on a 220 circuit and a hair dryer may well

be into orbit and fried to crisp by the time you hit the OFF switch. So do you

need a step down transformer piece of equipment to use your equipment.

As regards NCL confiscating your personal hair dryer as well as booze and

weapons of mass destruction (Swiss army knives) - varies by port and ship

in any event you will get them back at the last night of the voyage to wreck

what mayhem you can muster in the few hours left of your trip.

Further questions answered before and after this post by season cruisers who

have been on other ships including the NCL SPIRIT !

The NCL SPIRIT being an older first generation ship would not have the

advancements of the Breakaway class ships with up to date electrical connections.

So weigh the possibility of taking your own hair dryer and having it confiscated

(worse case scenario) - having it pass and not being able to use it to due

electric code problems (110/220 voltage) or last case bringing it along and

it was a waste of space in your luggage. On the other hand maybe no problem

at all and everything is A-OK.

Oh one thing if you have a balcony cabin you can always use natures natural

air drying element - but I won't go into detail here - I may have to walk the

plank if I continue - - - ! LOL !

I have a hair dryer on my packing list for the Sun as well. This will be our 4th time sailing the Sun. The ones they provide are awful - stuck on the wall in the bathroom. Love so many things about the ship.. but don't forget the hair dryer. :)

Maybe some of them on the Sun have been changed. We were on her last year and the dryer was not above the toilet. I am thinking it was above the desk, but am not sure.

Sure, but unless you have really think hair, that is long and super hard to dry, why would you want to bring your own? There are very few outlets in the cabin. I am always satisfied with the NCL dryers.

Yep, you got it--I do have long and thick hair! I used the ship hairdryer once or twice on our last cruise on the Dawn, and it just didn't do the trick. However, I will probably have to pack my own high-end dryer for our pre- and post-cruise hotel stays in Barcelona and Paris anyway.