Whats the best advice you would give a cruiser?

vols_159

1. Bring an extension cord-not enough outlets in the cabin

2. Bring duct tape

3. Bring a pound of your favorite coffee. Use the coffee maker in your cabin. If you don't have one, ask your steward for one. Coffee from the buffet may not be to your liking and coffee from the coffee bar may get too expensive.

4. Attend your cc meet and greet. Get the business card from your hotel director.

5. If you have a problem with your cabin, complain directly to the hotel director. Bypass the front desk. Nothing gets done with them.

6. Bring a night lite and flash lite.

7. Being plenty of dollar bills. Use them to tip the dock's porters who bring your bags to the ship and your cabin steward.

8. Make friends with your cabin steward.

9. Bring a carefree, non judgemental attitude. There will be fellow cruisers who may do things that may upset you. Don't let that ruin your cruise.

10. Question your fellow cc members at the meet and greet about what shore excursions to take.

11. Bring an insulated coffee mug. You may want to take coffee from the buffet.

12. Bring several empty water bottles to bring water on your excursions.

Richpontone, you remind me of a good friend that brings two large suitcases on a cruise (his wife brings one). He brings duct tape among other things. Of course that extra bag may cost him $75 on his flight.

I like some of your suggestions, which I list below, but prefer to go lite,

4. Attend your cc meet and greet

7. Being plenty of dollar bills

9. Bring a carefree, non judgemental attitude.

Richpontone, you remind me of a good friend that brings two large suitcases on a cruise (his wife brings one). He brings duct tape among other things. Of course that extra bag may cost him $75 on his flight.

An extension cord. There is usually only one outlet in the cabin. Also, as another CC noted, a high lighter pen to mark off what you want to do from the daily ship's newsletter.

These are mostly for the Jewel class ships but here are a few things:

Go to deck 7 aft on a sea day and watch off the back of the ship

Find a quiet place on the ship and soak it all in

Go in the pool when you are in port

Get to know a crew member and ask about their family

Have a pre dinner martini in the Star Bar or Bar City

Eat at a window table in the aft MDR

Go to the early show, if it is great go to the late one

Take as many pictures as possible

Don't worry about the little things that might go wrong

Do a behind the scenes tour

Enjoy every minute

I sailed for the first time without my travel alarm clock. I missed it terribly! I do not use it for alarm purposes but rather just the practicality of always having a clock in my stateroom. I was quickly annoyed by checking the time on my phone, or waking up and having to reach for my watch or phone to check the time.

Something so simple.........pack a travel clock.

Organize your boarding documents , passport etc...and keep them in a folder ready to present. Nothing is more annoying than being next in line behind the person shuffling through their luggage looking for their passports.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

A little basic Filipino goes a long way's .

Thank You = Salamat

Good Morning = Magandang umaga

Good Afternoon = Magandang tanghali

Good Evening = Magandang gabi

Drinks = Inumin

Beer = alak

Used salamat this weekend and it was appreciated. Server asked when I had visited the Phillipines.

I am all for pre-planning - knowledge is valuable. But that also sets you up for certain (sometimes unattainable :o) expectations.

You will have a much better time if you can roll with the flow - don't pay too much attention to the OPINION of others. It's just that...their opinion and nothing more! ;)

Alarm clock is a must for me. Helps to see the time in the middle of the night without turning on a light. I'd like to know whether it's 3 a.m. and I should squeeze my eyes shut or 9:30 a.m. and I am almost to miss breakfast. I missed breakfast once on the Alaska run, but that was because I set my clock the opposite way it should go.

Don't expect perfection. I don't know who these people are who seem to have experienced sheer perfection during every land vacation they have ever taken, because I peg them to be the ones who expect the same on every voyage.

1. Read (at least!) the first two pages of Cruise Critic postings for your cruise line prior to your cruise.

2. Read your daily newsletters cover to cover while onboard. You'll catch important information that too many people seem to miss and then make a stink about (dress codes, disembarkation info, tender info, etc.)

FYI, you can cash in a $20 bill for $1 bills at the guest services desk. Pack a few for your taxi to the pier (if that's your transportation plan) and for the baggage handlers, but otherwise you can forget worrying about a fat wad until you are onboard.

I always pack a small first aid kit....didn't used to, and got a small boo-boo while snorkeling. I needed a band-aid, had to go to the ship doc for that and some antibiotic cream, kind of expensive! So now I bring my own!

I also bring a small sewing kit, and yes, I have used it more than once!

I am all for pre-planning - knowledge is valuable. But that also sets you up for certain (sometimes unattainable :o) expectations.

You will have a much better time if you can roll with the flow - don't pay too much attention to the OPINION of others. It's just that...their opinion and nothing more! ;)

I couldn't have said it better.

Just be yourself.

I have never had a "bad" vacation, sure things have gone wrong, but you make the best of it and move on. Most of all---take time to enjoy yourself.

Laurie

Shop at home, not at the cruise ship ports. Enjoy the beaches, sand sun, sights, crystal clear waters, snorkeling, beaching, touring. You will get better buys at Walmart, Costco, Macy's, BJ's etc. etc. Many of the port stores raise their prices when ther ships come in. We know it to be true in Cozemal and probably true at other ports.

As others have said, go to your CC Meet & Greet onboard... and meet the Hotel Director and his/her staff, and get their extension#. Go directly to the HD with concerns, I was impressed with how responsive they were on the NCL Gem.

Archived