Perry Grant - The Beat Goes On!

NJ Fred

The remark "Mostly he appeals to people to has sense of humor and like to have a laugh, listening to a good music..".

Seems to be saying that if you do not like him, then you have no sense of humour and a tin ear.

We sailed the Eclipse and on the Roll call all we heard was his name and how wonderful he was.

Naturally we decided to attend his show which was held in Michaels. We arrived before the show and sat at the bar.

As has been mentioned many times, not everyone likes the same things in life. Lets just say that evidentally we have no sense of humour, we hate to laugh, and we have no taste in music. But because we were blocked by some chairs, we sat it out without comment.

Normally that would have been the end of it, he is not our cup of tea. We do not set ourselves up as what is the gold standard in entertainment, we would have (and did) avoided his shows, I would not have bothered posting in this thread.

But the remark quoted above plus what happened in the show we attended is why I am posting.

About that show:

Someone near the fringe did stand up and try to quietly leave, he heckled them continually as they made their exit.

Then he made disparaging remarks to his fans for a few min after.

I really found no humour in that, so you may be right, neither of us have a sense of humour, but we actually do like to listen to what we think of as good music, so I guess there is hope for us yet.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

The remark "Mostly he appeals to people to has sense of humor and like to have a laugh, listening to a good music..".

Seems to be saying that if you do not like him, then you have no sense of humour and a tin ear.

We sailed the Eclipse and on the Roll call all we heard was his name and how wonderful he was.

Naturally we decided to attend his show which was held in Michaels. We arrived before the show and sat at the bar.

As has been mentioned many times, not everyone likes the same things in life. Lets just say that evidentally we have no sense of humour, we hate to laugh, and we have no taste in music. But because we were blocked by some chairs, we sat it out without comment.

Normally that would have been the end of it, he is not our cup of tea. We do not set ourselves up as what is the gold standard in entertainment, we would have (and did) avoided his shows, I would not have bothered posting in this thread.

But the remark quoted above plus what happened in the show we attended is why I am posting.

About that show:

Someone near the fringe did stand up and try to quietly leave, he heckled them continually as they made their exit.

Then he made disparaging remarks to his fans for a few min after.

I really found no humour in that, so you may be right, neither of us have a sense of humour, but we actually do like to listen to what we think of as good music, so I guess there is hope for us yet.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Oh dear, you really didnt get him at all did you?. The 'heckling' when people leave is totally light hearted. He is like Marmite, love him or hate him. We love him and he can do no wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh dear, you really didnt get him at all did you?. The 'heckling' when people leave is totally light hearted. He is like Marmite, love him or hate him. We love him and he can do no wrong.

The OP gets him pretty good in my opinion. The key is that I have an opinion of his performances and you have an opinion. Where art is concerned there are often different tastes. What I "get" is different than what you "get". Unfortunately some fans can't tolerate criticism of performers they "love".

Oh My (and what kind of countertop do you have?)! The thing about Perry Grant is that he plays well to an audience that likes to hear pretty much the same thing every show. We enjoyed Perry the first couple of times we were at his performances, but then realized that nothing ever changes. We did not return for a third show, but suspect we could tell you exactly what happened at that show and every show since :). But there is no question that he is somewhat of an "institution at sea." With the "new Celebrity" we suspect the question might be "does Perry's audience buy enough drinks to justify his existence. Oh, and somebody needs to tell Perry that "Granite" is no longer "in."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Oh My (and what kind of countertop do you have?)! The thing about Perry Grant is that he plays well to an audience that likes to hear pretty much the same thing every show. We enjoyed Perry the first couple of times we were at his performances, but then realized that nothing ever changes. We did not return for a third show, but suspect we could tell you exactly what happened at that show and every show since :). But there is no question that he is somewhat of an "institution at sea." With the "new Celebrity" we suspect the question might be "does Perry's audience buy enough drinks to justify his existence. Oh, and somebody needs to tell Perry that "Granite" is no longer "in."

Hank

With the "new Celebrity" we suspect the question might be "does Perry's audience buy enough drinks to justify his existence. Oh, and somebody needs to tell Perry that "Granite" is no longer "in."

Hank

The Perry Grant fans should be leery of the new guy in charge. I am not a Perry fan and I am wary of him. My impression having just returned from a Celebrity cruise is that changes are being made mostly to cut costs but make it appear to be an improvement.

Hank

I have seen Perry's shows numerous times. The man never fails to entertain the crowd with his numerous jokes & silly observations about life. His comment about granite tops, stainless steel refrigerators etc are merely a way to get the audience to laugh. I do love his selection of music & he is so enthusiastic to please the passengers who come to see him. As far as the so called heckling when you try to leave, that is merely his style & everyone who knows Perry, just laughs about it. Truly, I never saw anyone get upset with his antics. Plus he has a great voice, selection of tunes & various funny hats ..all of which makes him a "one of a kind" pianist/entertainer. Yes, you might call me a die hard fan; but I was hooked the first time that I saw him..Sailormateforyou (Sally)

Through the Magic of Google. There are other videos but I think this 1:31 is quite long enough to get a feel.

Now of course, tastes vary and I suspect this would be one of those 'you had to be there' moments. Still, not my cup-o-tea. :rolleyes:

Yikes, I realize I am dating myself but this video looks like a skit from the old SCTV show with John Candy, Eugene Levy Martin Short, etc. Now, SCTV was entertainment!

We did not return for a third show, but suspect we could tell you exactly what happened at that show and every show since .

Sometime it is different....;) If you liked it the first time, just think what you could have missed when you didn't go to see him. He is what he is and I am a big fan.

Well we found Perry Grant quite entertaining (altho we had seen a somewhat similiar schtick with Dame Edna on Broadway one time). Anyways long after our evening with Perry in Michaels Club, I was on the phone making an appointment with a service technician and when asked about our address, the question was asked "Is it a gated community" - I'm sure he didn't understand when I started giggling when giving my answer.

I just have to ask - just who is Perry Grant, what makes him so special or maybe not - lol as I see there are some "not fans" out there too. Fill those of us in who have never seen him please.

That was my comment from Jan. 28th 2013 - well we cruised on Eclipse in Feb. 2014 and now I know who Perry Grant is. :D Of course I was called forward (new people usually are) and the antics were funny. Aside from the fact that he has a great voice and can play a mean piano - Perry is a genuinely nice man who really cares about people and his fans adore him. This month he became a U.S. citizen and we say congratulations Perry!!! The only downside to my next booked cruise on Silhouette is that Perry won't be there.

That was my comment from Jan. 28th 2013 - well we cruised on Eclipse in Feb. 2014 and now I know who Perry Grant is. :D Of course I was called forward (new people usually are) and the antics were funny. Aside from the fact that he has a great voice and can play a mean piano - Perry is a genuinely nice man who really cares about people and his fans adore him. This month he became a U.S. citizen and we say congratulations Perry!!! The only downside to my next booked cruise on Silhouette is that Perry won't be there.

Well you know what to do.....cancel it and book Eclipse.:D:D:D

Well you know what to do.....cancel it and book Eclipse.:D:D:D

Yes, do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D