Disney cruise to Disney World

4mrancher

Our family will be cruising from Galveston to port canaveral in may. We have three young ones, two 5 year olds and one 8 year old. We are planning to leave the ship early and stay until they make us leave the park. My question is has anyone booked a room while at DW to give the kids a rest during the long day. If so, where? We will probably be spending most of our time in the magic kingdom since we have the three princesses. Just a thought. Thanks

I don't think you have the time ,most hotels are pretty far from M.K. (all the value ones anyway) we used to rent the large stroller and my Grandson would fall asleep in in it and we would go to a sit down lunch.If you have to get back to P.C. you more than likely will not be staying late.Your time would be much better spent in the park.

you can probably book a room, however, it will be at full price. Kids do get tired and hot, a very good idea. I would call Disney resort reservations, they can help you

Great idea.......there are dozens of hotels right in the park, with boat, monorail service etc rom the front door (or inside) each hotel.

I am sure that calling the above will find something to fill your needs. Everyone we have dealt with at Disney is great.

Our family will be cruising from Galveston to port canaveral in may. We have three young ones, two 5 year olds and one 8 year old. We are planning to leave the ship early and stay until they make us leave the park. My question is has anyone booked a room while at DW to give the kids a rest during the long day. If so, where? We will probably be spending most of our time in the magic kingdom since we have the three princesses. Just a thought. Thanks

not a smart move for a few reasons. one, if you just show up you will pay rack rate.. and that.,.is a LOT of money. 2, the only place that might HAVE any rooms could be a Deluxe.. where the rack rate can be $500 or more.

if you book a room only ahead of time, sure you can get a better price, but the room will not necessarily be available until after 3 pm.

One day tickets are the most expensive. Park Hopping is a waste on a one day ticket.

Unless you are a local, live 20 minutes away and buy season passes, Disney is NOT a day trip.

If Disney is not a day trip why do the cruise lines offer excursions. I have taken my family to visit DW for a single day when on land vacations. We would arrive when gates open and stay till closing.

for the life of me I have no idea. and they usually just offer transportation. I mean Downtown Disney is easily doable in one day. I just firmly believe that no park can be experienced as a shore excursion and still actually SEE or DO anything without being rushed and stressed.

too much effort has to go in to prioritizing what to see and what to skip as opposed to just going with the flow.

not a smart move for a few reasons. one, if you just show up you will pay rack rate.. and that.,.is a LOT of money. 2, the only place that might HAVE any rooms could be a Deluxe.. where the rack rate can be $500 or more.

if you book a room only ahead of time, sure you can get a better price, but the room will not necessarily be available until after 3 pm.

+1. While your room might be ready earlier than check-in time, it's possible it could not be ready until 5pm. Just depends on how busy it is. You might be better off just skipping the hotel room rental.

How will you get from the port to WDW? Make sure you add transportation time to your plan.

MK alone is plenty for a one day visit.

As a seasoned Disney veteran, I wouldn't suggest getting a room anywhere for the day. There are 3 deluxe resorts that are right on the monorail that serve the MK and those will easily run you $300+ for a room. (You can walk to the Contemporary ~10-15min) Even with the monorail, you would spend an hour just getting to the resort and checking in.

Instead of getting a room, there are a couple things that you can do to take shorter breaks in the park. You could see the Carousel of Progress or ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority in Tomorrowland. You could go to the Hall of Presidents in Liberty Square or the Enchanted Tiki Room in Frontierland. Mickey's Philharmagic in Fantasyland is a great show and a nice chance to sit down and be entertained for a few minutes. There's always It's a Small World in Fantasyland as well. Each of these attractions would be at least a 15 min break and get you out of the sun in a nice cool environment.

If this is your first time in the MK, you will find there is so much to do and see that no one will really want a break! They real key is to pace yourself and realize that you won't be able to do it all. Stay hydrated and just sit and rest for a few minutes when needed. I think you would really miss out by spending time going back and forth to a resort during a day trip!

If Disney is not a day trip why do the cruise lines offer excursions. I have taken my family to visit DW for a single day when on land vacations. We would arrive when gates open and stay till closing.

The only time I went to Disney I did all 4 parks in one day. Therefore, doing one park in a day sounds like a breeze and an awesome time!!

The All Star Sports is a Value resort and you can usually get a room in the $89-$99 range for two doubles, depending on the season and day of the week. This will not be a suite or a preferred room, which is just lingo for being closer to the pool and food court. The All Star Sports seems to have busses that run on a regular basis. They share the bus with the All Star Music and All Star Movies BUT the Sports is the first for pick-up and drop-off. The All Star Sports also seems to have the better rates compared to some of the newer Value resorts as the Sports Resort was the first Value resort built on property. If you just need a clean quiet place for your little ones to take a nap and don't mind a short bus ride then this would be a good choice. Also, the bus pick-up and drop-off area is right at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom.

I agree, that a quick 2 or 3 hour time-out may be a great idea. You would also have access to their pools for a quick swim.

BTW: just a tip. If you decide to book a room there, do not tell them that you have a family of 5 as they will only allow you to book a room in this resort for 4. It's not really a big deal, just book the room with 2 adults and 2 children. Then just have one parent do the check in while the other stays with the kids or even easier, do it online. They will only give you 4 key cards but you will only be there for a few hours so no biggie. The key cards are just used for entrance to the rooms and for charging items to your account.

All Star Sports info:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/all-star-sports-resort/

Good luck to you.

:)

There are so many spots in the park that you can take rest at without having to spend the money on a room. I would rent strollers for the kids to rest in if they get tired of walking. There are plenty of benches to sit and just relax. If your kids are anything like my youngest they will be eager to see and do everything. I would probably book a restaurant for dinner so you'll have time to relax before hitting more rides.

I've never done 4 parks in one day. I have friends that have. We typically go for 7-9 days so we don't feel the need to rush and see everything. Plan which parks you want to visit and what rides you want to go on the most, that will help maximize your time at Disney. Since your kids are young Magic Kingdom would the park I would spend majority of my time in. Epcot has tons of things for kids to do also.

Your kids are going to dictate how fast you get thru the park. Just know you aren't going to be able to see and do everything at each park.

Have a great time.

Thank you everyone, your thoughts and advice are very helpful. The ship docks in port canaveral very early Tues, am and leaves just after midnight. So it will be a very long day. We will be focusing on magic kingdom with the girls. I have been to DW many times so this is just for the little ones. Disney will provide transportation to the park and return to the ship. Hopper pass is included. Again my main concern is to keep the girls happy and not so tired the can't be happy. The stroller idea is very doable.

Thanks again for your help.:)

We stayed at the Pop Century (one of the value priced hotels). By the time we left the park, got to the bus pick-up point, waited for the bus, got to the hotel, and then walked to our room it was over an hour. I agree with the previous posters about ways to "take a break"- find a place to sit (they are everywhere), go to a restful attraction (Tropics 4 Me has great suggestions), have a peaceful meal. Personally, I would not spend a few hundred dollars for a couple of hours in one of the hotels right at the MK.

for the life of me I have no idea. and they usually just offer transportation. I mean Downtown Disney is easily doable in one day. I just firmly believe that no park can be experienced as a shore excursion and still actually SEE or DO anything without being rushed and stressed.

too much effort has to go in to prioritizing what to see and what to skip as opposed to just going with the flow.

looking at it that way, why bother to cruise at all? Doesn't matter if it's Disney World, Nassua Bahamas, or Georgetown Grand Cayman. Can't see it all. Can't experience it all. Can't actually SEE or DO anything without being rushed. So why bother?

Don't waste the $$ there are plenty of ways to relax at the hotels for free.

I've stayed at every deluxe hotel numerous times. Lets start w beach club, yu can ake the little boat there , grab some lounge chairs on the beach ( or the shade) right on the water. The kids can rest while you enjoy people watching or having lunch...tons of places on the boardwalk.

Same story w Polynesian . Lounge chairs right on water, and their pool is great. Changing rooms, lunch, etc...

Finally the Floridian, it's a hidden gem. They have a number of pools, one has lounge chairs right on sand by pool bar & Rst. Shower rooms & lockers even.

No one will bother you at any of these places at all. Many people wander the properties- they have numerous shops inside as well.

They could sleep for a couple of hours while you relax..trust me , it's done OFTEN.

If you only have the 1 day, you truly won't have time to stop and relax too much! The Magic Kingdom really takes 2 entire days to see and do everything....add in the other parks, and an entire vacation there is not out of order!

DW is about 45 mins. from the port...and it can take about 30 mins to go from the parking lot at the park until you actually get INTO the "Kingdom"....it's a loooong day!

Your idea as others have posted will reflect a $ investment. Here's an option.

Most likely you will spend the bulk of your time at the Magic Kingdom, especially if you have a single park ticket. Along with that is the heat and being tired feeling your family will experience.

Let's fix that. Ride the resort monorail to the Contemporary Resort Hotel. It's the shortest line and you are about to embark on a rain free, totally air conditioned trip to getting off your feet. Take the escalator down to the shops and find the comfortable sofas, chairs, etc and let your kids do some shopping and looking around. Disney prices their items at the same warehouse, and some items you will find here are exclusive, or at the very least in few places.

Next ride resort monorail to the Grand Floridian. You can spend two hours or more here and cool off. The lobby has a grand piano player, sometimes a brass band and lots of oversized couches and chairs to chill in. Look around at the people taking a mini-snooze. Some days they serve free lemonade.

Go outside the rear exit and take a sharp left. A store will sell you canned or fountain soda, snacks and sandwiches. You can grab a beer here too!

Walk down the boat dock and catch the Magic Kingdom launch boat back to the park. Cool huh? And all for zero expense except food. We've dodged many rain showers and 95 degree afternoons doing this.

if you have a monorail junkie then do this; ride the resort monorail from the park or any of the hotels linked to the Transportation and Ticket Center. Change monorails to the EPCOT line and you are in for a nice, cool ride that circles the Future World section. Exit and get right back in line. You are headed back to the TTC. Ride the ferry back to the Magic Kingdom in they have no lines. These are cool and the breeze is always present.

If the weather is not too hot then ride resort monorail over to the Polynesian Resort. Walk downstairs to the beach area and enjoy the swings and some casual shade is right there.

Finally, here's the one that amazes people; the 3:00 parade finishes right by the fire station. People will line up along Main Street in the sun for two hours. Don't do that. Go by the fire station or across the street near the barber shop and look for the brass buttons on the curb and street. Disney drops standards in these buttons and strings white rope up as the parade progresses. You can walk up there with 20 minutes before the parade gets there and see it. You are also close to the exit when it's over.

At the 9:00pm parade it's even better, as you stand there and see the parade, bolt for the exits and are out of the park an hour before those that are further along the route.

22 visits, 19 cruises.

Unless you are a local, live 20 minutes away and buy season passes, Disney is NOT a day trip.

I am a local and hadn't been to the parks in several years until last weekend. My husband and I arrived at the MK at around 11:00 and managed to see and do everything we wanted to there and then hop to Epcot and do the same--including sitting down to eat three times.

With a little planning and strategic use of Fast Pass it's quite doable.

OP--With only a day I think it's a waste of time and money to get a room. Unless you stay at one of the monorail resorts (which will run you over $400 for the room) it's going to eat into about 75 minutes of your time to get a value room (still over $150) by the time you leave the Magic Kingdom, wait for the bus, ride to the resort, check in, and then reverse. That doesn't include resting.

blusry gave you very good advice.

If you only have the 1 day, you truly won't have time to stop and relax too much! The Magic Kingdom really takes 2 entire days to see and do everything....add in the other parks, and an entire vacation there is not out of order!

DW is about 45 mins. from the port...and it can take about 30 mins to go from the parking lot at the park until you actually get INTO the "Kingdom"....it's a loooong day!

It's a 75 minute drive in no traffic from the Port to the TTC to get to the Magic Kingdom. Then it's 15-30 minutes to get to the Magic Kingdom by ferry or monorail. After that you need to go through bag check--that's if you don't have to buy tickets or trade in vouchers. Bottom line, from the time you leave the Port until you are walking onto Main Street you need to plan on close to two hours, an hour and a half if there are no lines or traffic and everything goes perfect.

The Magic Kingdom can be done in a day with no problem if you make strategic use of Fast Passes. The new Ariel ride is cute. I would skip the lines to see the characters, most of them will be on the ship with fewer lines.

Thank you everyone, your thoughts and advice are very helpful. The ship docks in port canaveral very early Tues, am and leaves just after midnight. So it will be a very long day. We will be focusing on magic kingdom with the girls. I have been to DW many times so this is just for the little ones. Disney will provide transportation to the park and return to the ship. Hopper pass is included. Again my main concern is to keep the girls happy and not so tired the can't be happy. The stroller idea is very doable.

Thanks again for your help.:)

get on the monorail resort loop and just relax. you don't have to exit you can just ride in a circle for an hour if you want.

I have done a one day only trip to WDW (my first trip) and with younger kids you are probably not going to hit all the big rides anyway and it's pretty nice weather right now so I don't think a room will be a neccesity but honestly if you get a value room are willing to take ANY room available right then you should be fine

Do they still have the ferry as an option to get from the parking lot to the Magic Kingdom? If so, you could probably just stay on that for a back-and-forth ride to rest. I probably would just stay in the Magic Kingdom, since it can take an hour or more to get from MK to Epcot or other places, as I recall. No point in wasting time in transit. Where does the bus from the ship drop you off and pick you up? MK?

As for MK itself, your kids will want to spend most of their time in Fantasy Land. They'd probably like the Jungle Cruise in Adventure Land also, if they know it is not real. (I don't want them getting scared thinking it is real.)

Oh, the Disney Railroad around the park would be another good option for a rest break.

Archived