Comedians on Carnival

sakapfet

Good for you! My wife and I would also walk out if the so-called comedian was making homophobic jokes.

Another thing I despise is racial humor. Usually, it is performed by an African-American comedian who will simply reinforce all the worst racial stereotypes to get a cheap laugh.

It's their job, like Carlos Mencia once said, "My job is to stand up here and make you laugh... (proceeds to rattle of racist, sexist, homophobic, and other demeaning and derogatory terms that last about 30-40 seconds)... See? I didn't get fired, and I didn't get in trouble. You tell my jokes when you get back to work on Monday morning, see how long it takes you to get sent to 'Sensitivity Training'."

Now I'm not saying you HAVE to listen to the adult shows, it's totally your choice. I've walked out on PLENTY of comedians too, asked for the "cover charge" back as well.

Not condoning or "supporting", just making conversation...

Edited by blueneostang

saw Sheila Kay on my recent Miracle cruise and my family & I loved her. she was hysterical. At her last adult night, her time was going over and she yelled up to the host to go f*ck himself and not to tell Carnival her time was up. she went on for another 5 minutes. A lot of her act was interacting with the audience. all four comedians on our cruise were funny.

I have seen the same show two years later! I am not sure why Carnival does not understand that there are repeat guests that would enjoy different entertainment. It is not only for the comedians but the 'specialty' act that is typically shown midweek too.

A lot of people here really have no idea how the entertainment business (on ships or land) really works.... Go see any "name" comedian in the US at a major city... Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Jeff Dunham... Go see them a week later in a different city. 95% of the content will be the same show. Having 45 minutes of stand up material is a major amount of work. It can take a comedian months to come up with a solid 10 minutes of original stuff. Now, the big names can take time off, work out new bits (10 minutes at a time at local clubs), and have a new show every couple of years.

I just don't think a lot of people understand what goes into producing up to an hour of stand up comedy.

I have seen the same show two years later! I am not sure why Carnival does not understand that there are repeat guests that would enjoy different entertainment. It is not only for the comedians but the 'specialty' act that is typically shown midweek too.

Do you also complain at Disney World if Space Mountain is the same ride year after year?

Think of the big picture for a moment... How many ships are out there? How many full time entertainers are needed to "fly on" to all of them weekly? It's a full time job. They don't have different acts only doing 2 weeks a year. If you book the same cruise line over and over, expect to see the same employee's. If that is someting you don't want, cruise on a different line every year and you won't have that issue.... They're not going to fire people who put on a decent show (and are willing to do the travel needed for it) because a small percentage of repeat guests may have seen them on a previous cruise....

A lot of people here really have no idea how the entertainment business (on ships or land) really works.... Go see any "name" comedian in the US at a major city... Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Jeff Dunham... Go see them a week later in a different city. 95% of the content will be the same show. Having 45 minutes of stand up material is a major amount of work. It can take a comedian months to come up with a solid 10 minutes of original stuff. Now, the big names can take time off, work out new bits (10 minutes at a time at local clubs), and have a new show every couple of years.

I just don't think a lot of people understand what goes into producing up to an hour of stand up comedy.

Yep - and if you look at television comedians, even the most talented ones have TEAMS of writers coming up with material for them. I seriously doubt the ship comedians have assistants writing jokes for them while they work...

It's their job, like Carlos Mencia once said, "My job is to stand up here and make you laugh... (proceeds to rattle of racist, sexist, homophobic, and other demeaning and derogatory terms that last about 30-40 seconds)... See? I didn't get fired, and I didn't get in trouble. You tell my jokes when you get back to work on Monday morning, see how long it takes you to get sent to 'Sensitivity Training'."

Now I'm not saying you HAVE to listen to the adult shows, it's totally your choice. I've walked out on PLENTY of comedians too, asked for the "cover charge" back as well.

Not condoning or "supporting", just making conversation...

I think sometimes comedy just isn't for those that are easily offended. I'm sure some comedians cross the line but for the most part making fun of certain demographics is part of the fun. You have to be able to laugh at yourself. Black comedians make fun of the silly things white people do. I get it and I laugh.

There are stereotypes of all races, religions, sexual preferences etc that can be made fun of without meaning that the person doing the joking hates you or is "homophobic" or "racist".

Sometimes the Carnival comedians become the "name" comedians, they all have to start somewhere. We saw Jeff Dunham on a Carnival cruise in 2007 before he "made" it. Just as hilarious then as he is now!

ETA it may have been 2006. We've seen so many comedy shows on the ships over the years :o. But absolutely positive it was him, hard to forget his collection of dummies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by aggieastrosfan

I think sometimes comedy just isn't for those that are easily offended. I'm sure some comedians cross the line but for the most part making fun of certain demographics is part of the fun. You have to be able to laugh at yourself. Black comedians make fun of the silly things white people do. I get it and I laugh.

There are stereotypes of all races, religions, sexual preferences etc that can be made fun of without meaning that the person doing the joking hates you or is "homophobic" or "racist".

Totally disagree!

Humor at the expense of a person's race, ethnicity or sexual preference is not acceptable. Indeed, it plays into the hand of those who are prejudiced to begin with.

A real comedian has no need to "cross the line." Cheap jokes based on racial or sexual stereotypes are not "humor," but simply play into the hand of existing prejudices.

Edited by yogimax

Totally disagree!

Humor at the expense of a person's race, ethnicity or sexual preference is not acceptable. Indeed, it plays into the hand of those who are prejudiced to begin with.

A real comedian has no need to "cross the line." Cheap jokes based on racial or sexual stereotypes are not "humor," but simply play into the hand of existing prejudices.

Of course, unless it's, ya know, straight white guys.

In any case it's fine to disagree. I don't agree with your point. I think people being overly offended helps play into the prejudice. It does of course depend on what you think is crossing the line. There are overly feminine gay men. I know some of them, they know it. They make fun of it and they don't get offended by others joking about it. It's not at their expense. If comedians don't make fun of stereotypes there isn't really much left to make fun of.

Back to the OP: I've seen Jerry Seinfeld 2 years in a row and it was at least 70% exact same material.

Edited by frayedend

Do the comedians just fly from one ship to another? Full time shows & travel?

Totally disagree!

And that's where we agree to disagree. Let 'em crack all the "redneck, hillbilly, backwoods, Tennessee, cousin lovin', inbred, cracker, white boy" jokes they want to. I love 'em!

Of course, unless it's, ya know, straight white guys.

In any case it's fine to disagree. I don't agree with your point. I think people being overly offended helps play into the prejudice. It does of course depend on what you think is crossing the line. There are overly feminine gay men. I know some of them, they know it. They make fun of it and they don't get offended by others joking about it. It's not at their expense. If comedians don't make fun of stereotypes there isn't really much left to make fun of.

Wait, I'm a straight white guy... Black and Latino comedians still crack good ones on me... That's why I LOVE wearing my hat to the Comedy Zone

Back to the OP: I've seen Jerry Seinfeld 2 years in a row and it was at least 70% exact same material.

Do watch Dane Cook's "Vicious Circle" and "Rough Around The Edges" and count the same jokes... They were promoted and released as two totally different shows, yet filmed on the same tour, same stage, mere MILES apart... (Boston & NYC)

Do the comedians just fly from one ship to another? Full time shows & travel?

Either fly from ship to ship or they get dropped off at a port to join their next ship.

Interesting question wonder how many ships they will be on in a week/ Would guess they would do two and work 4 nights.

I was on the Dream in 2011 and one of the comedian who performed was Percy Crews 2 and I saw both his family and adult shows. Now, lets go forward to 2013 and I just got off the Breeze and Percy was one of the comedians, and guess what both his family and adult shows were almos excatly the same!

Has anyone else experienced that?

Yes, most of the comedians have a set routine that they do over and over again.

However, there are a few like Mutzie that only do improv .... so it while there are some elements that are familiar, it is not a rehearsed set.

• 4 years later...

I walked out of Percy Crew's show aboard Elation in 2014 after five minutes. His act was all about calculating the comic effect of saying "_uck" with predictable variations, such as "mother_ucker." Unfortunately I caught his show aboard Victory last March (2017). Simply not funny. Plays the race card in every bit. Telegraphs his punchlines with strange grunting sounds. Imagine my dismay having the same Chef's Table menu on Victory as Elation as being served with stale comedy.:rolleyes:

I was on the Triumph in Dec 2016 and one of the comedians was late for the early family show, like 30 mins late. When he showed up he was drunk (fell off the wagon) and his act was unique. A few F bombs and people were walking out. He even tossed his act cards on the ground cause he was like F it im gonna wing it. I found it hard to believe the Comedy Manager let him stay on stage. The next show act showed up and she was hilarious and was like that was an adventure wasnt it.