Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

That being said, a cruise ship under its own power is an amazingly agile, almost athletic thing of beauty. With the bow thrusters and steerable azipods, they can pirouette in a small channel (like in Galveston) and neatly kiss the pier while docking. The ships I was on in the Navy are downright ungainly in comparison!

Not all big cruise ships have azipods. Carnival Triumph is one of those not having azipods. But they have stern thrusters which make these ships equally agile.

I think I read in this post somewhere, that people were getting sick? I can believe it, because we were headed north the same time Triumph was (on Jewel of the Seas), and the waters had white caps all over the place. It makes me sick just to think that these people were on a ship, just drifting, with no stabilizers. I can only imagine how that ship was rocking and rolling. Here's a video I took on Sunday (2/9/13), the same day that Triumph was sitting in the hands of the sea. We were traveling from Cozumel, and heading to Tampa, Florida. You can see in the distance, all the white caps.

I was wondering what type of "fee" Carnival was going to face if they had to have the government help the 900+ that did not have passports, also for the not finishing in the US. Back when the Splendor was towed to San Diego one reason they did not stop at Ensinodo Mexico was the passport thing, and it was closer.

I doubt there will be a fee. This is an unusual and exceptional situation. It might even be classified an emergency. Technically it may be necessary to obtain a waiver. If so I doubt there will be any difficulty obtaining one. Passengers will most likely be cleared as if they were landing in Galveston.

I think I read in this post somewhere, that people were getting sick? I can believe it, because we were headed north the same time Triumph was (on Jewel of the Seas), and the waters had white caps all over the place. It makes me sick just to think that these people were on a ship, just drifting, with no stabilizers. I can only imagine how that ship was rocking and rolling. Here's a video I took on Sunday (2/9/13), the same day that Triumph was sitting in the hands of the sea. We were traveling from Cozumel, and heading to Tampa, Florida. You can see in the distance, all the white caps.

That's not terrible, but they probably have a bit of "ferry roll" going. I would think the stink would be good enough to make you sick, forget the roll. I went in the bathroom at Port of Miami one time to blow my nose and there was a surprise in the garbage can. I came damn close to throwing up outside.

Looks like a road trip to Mobile coming up. I am only 6 and half hours away. I imagine when Kelli hits U.S. soil she will want to be clear of all things Carnival.

(Come to think of it, "Carnival" is a good name for the company, don't ya think?);)

Those poor poor people, how many of them will actually be looking forward to a future free cruise after this? Traumatic experience for many, 5 days or more trapped with backwoods like conditions? I hope for those who feel that way, that they can get monetary compensation instead.

(I am giving my blessings for each and everyone of my modern day comforts right now.)

Also, thoughts go to their family, friends, SO's on the mainland who are not able to contact them for a while still yet....

Stay safe and sane Triumph PAX and crew! :(

PS I am thinking a River Cruise in Europe is looking mighty attractive....

My goodness Carnival didn't want this to happen, its an accident, things happen just like things happen and accidents happen in all our lives everyday. Its a part of our daily living.

Just be glad it wasen't on a plane, she is safe, Carnival reimbursing full refunds plus their expenses they had onboard including the tips and giving equal cruise credit for another cruise. They will pay for all transportation for all passengers home and any fees they incur.

Its not the end of the world, she is safe she is coming home now that is whats most important. These things happen.

Not necessarily.......if your diesel engine is you propulsion and it also runs your generation power and one is off line, the one left must work harder to propel and keep power constant. No different than a Briggs and Stratton motor for a generator in the house......if you have a 5500 watt generator and try to pull 6500 watts thru the cable, the cables get hot. Typically you'd trip a breaker.......unless someone puts a larger breaker than wires can handle. Wires get hot.....then FIRE. Not saying something like that was done but if you have more than one engine/generator you shouldn't lose power, let's face it, mechanically those diesels run forever......thus fire had to be electrical. I'd be curious to see if carnival was rubber and and bubblegumming until it could get to dry dock or have time for repairs

These ships are what is called diesel-electric. The propulsion motors are electric and run off the on-board generators. I know for a fact that the Dream Class ships have six main generators (I was on the Behind the Fun tour in Carnival Magic), don't know if the Destiny/Triumph or whatever class this ship is has the same number being a smaller ship. I highly doubt for safety reasons (no amount of cost cutting would allow a ship to operate safely this way) they would do something like you suggest of having a bigger breaker. Just a wild speculation on my part but lets say one generator blew up in the aft engine room and it took down the entire power system with it. This should not happen since there is another engine room midship and that should provide redundancy. You still have the other generators but cannot distribute power. It happened and we will have to wait to see what happened. The fact that the pictures released by the USCG show smoke coming from the funnel indicates that at least one main generator is operating. That's probably the source of what little power they have in some areas of the ship.

Now that appears the Triumph will reach Mobile on Thursday will the passengers be given 3 extra days credit on their VIFP status?

Im thinking some will request it

But what about those that have booked this cruise to make Platinum:eek:

Looks like a road trip to Mobile coming up. I am only 6 and half hours away. I imagine when Kelli hits U.S. soil she will want to be clear of all things Carnival.

(Come to think of it, "Carnival" is a good name for the company, don't ya think?);)

I think she will be thrilled to bits if you did that for her!

For those of you who have family on board. I just received a call from Carnival

They are not going to Progresso! They are being towed to Mobile Alabama!!

The boat has drifted so far North it is the same distance so they chose Mobile!

Again ... Carnival not thinking about the passengers .. if they are that far north, why not then tow the ship to Galveston, it's original destination?

That way at least everyone gets to disembark at the right port.

The real reason for Mobile is because ... Hmmmm ... isnt that where the shipyard that will be doing the repairs is located? Its where Monarch Of The Seas was towed for repairs some years back.

Mobile is strictly for the convenience of Carnival. And they still have to arrange for all the pax to get transported from there.

This line seems to be making one dumb a** decision after another. :rolleyes:

Point taken about the motion, but even if they were functional, stabilizers wouldn't help with pitching, only rolling.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, but I dont think anyone posted this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/stranded-carnival-cruise-ship-passengers-running-water-power/story?id=18463532&rss=rss-wabc-snippet-7091254

Apparently the ship is also listing. The article says its to be expected but any listing ship dead in the water would make me nervous.

OH NO!!!!! All the media in Progresso are going to have to now catch a flight to Mobile. Maybe all the flights will be booked.

So glad to hear that they will be towed to Mobile. So much easier for all on board.

Hehehehe love it!

Good lord, you must have a terrible job to want to be on a ship with 3000 people who haven't showered for days, are eliminating in plastic bags, and eating coleslaw and cheese sandwiches that they have to wait two hours in line for.

It would take way more money than what two free cruises would add up to for me to volunteer to be on that boat! And I have had some bad days at work (I am a hospital med-surg RN, if that says anything).

yep! given these circumstances, I'd rather be at work, also!!! I'm a CPS investigator!!

Again ... Carnival not thinking about the passengers .. if they are that far north, why not then tow the ship to Galveston, it's original destination?

That way at least everyone gets to disembark at the right port.

The real reason for Mobile is because ... Hmmmm ... isnt that where the shipyard that will be doing the repairs is located? Its where Monarch Of The Seas was towed for repairs some years back.

Mobile is strictly for the convenience of Carnival. And they still have to arrange for all the pax to get transported from there.

This line seems to be making one dumb a** decision after another. :rolleyes:

Galveston is a few hundred miles west of where the ship is. If you look at a map, Mobile is pretty much due north of Progresso.

New Orleans seems to be closer then mobile according to google maps, and from new orleans to texas sems to be a shorter trip

There is no way they are going to tow a massive ship up the Mississippi river against one of the strongest currents in the world.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, but I dont think anyone posted this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/stranded-carnival-cruise-ship-passengers-running-water-power/story?id=18463532&rss=rss-wabc-snippet-7091254

Apparently the ship is also listing. The article says its to be expected but any listing ship dead in the water would make me nervous.

A ship with no power will list due to wind loading if it happens to face the wind broadside. It becomes a huge sail. It is believed that this is what saved Costa Concordia from sinking in deep water. The difference this time is that the ship does not have a huge gash in its hull.

Archived