International Driver's Permit needed to drive in Florida....

Lessa123

Here in Illinois our crooked politicians passed a law giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens. Come one come all.

How does that happen - it's terrible!!

When I moved from Canada to the US in 1980, I had to go through hoops to get a DL. Needed to show my immigration papers, needed to show that I'd applied for a SSN, and needed to show my marriage license. It was a pain.

Back when I came into the country on a fiance's visa, everytime you filed a paper it cost $50. At the same time, immigrants from Cuba were floating into Florida and being accepted. My fiance made the comment that we'd be further ahead if he just put me in a rowboat and dropped me off the coast of Miami. Things don't seem to have changed.

We just rented a car in FLA.. And were never asked for it. We have rented cars in many, many parts of the world and have never been asked for my Int. Drivers Lic. at any rental agency.

This is not a big deal. It is not really a license as such. It is really just a confirmation that you had a license at the time the International Lic. Was issued. The license is more like a little brochure with translations in multiple languages.

I suspect that it is a nice money maker for the Auto Club who issue these things.

Common sense will prevail so I would not resort to 'jumping overboard' just yet .

Relying on the media, print or otherwise, may not always be the best way to get all of the facts.

It has finally come to the attention of the Florida Legislature that this law was not thoroughly researched and that it just might violate the Geneva Convention. Therefore, according to the Tampa Bay Times today, the Department of Motor Vehicles has issued an order to the Florida State Troopers not to enforce the law until further legislative research has been done. The legislator who authored the unwise legislation has admitted error. So, everyone can relax - at least until July when a whole new spate of legislation will go into effect. I suspect that this current abomination will be repealed and re-written, possibly exempting all English-written driver's licenses.

The legislator who authored the unwise legislation has admitted error.

Maybe the legislator didn't realize that Canada isn't part of the US.

No, he didn't consider either the Geneva Convention or the fact that the whole purpose of the International Driving Permits is to provide an English translation of a foreign driver's license. Nor did he consider that because the U.S. is a signatory to the Geneva Convention, it constitutes a federal law and the individual states have no power to override federal law if there is a conflict. Other than that, it was great legislation. (Sarcasm intended.)

Its all very well for Florida to say it will not be enforcing this law, but the problem as I see it is, what will happen when a driver has an accident. I am sure there will be a lawyer somewhere in the background saying the law has been infringed, whether this law is enforced or not.

Its all very well for Florida to say it will not be enforcing this law, but the problem as I see it is, what will happen when a driver has an accident. I am sure there will be a lawyer somewhere in the background saying the law has been infringed, whether this law is enforced or not.

There should not be a problem if you have a valid license from somewhere. First, all an international driving permit is a translation into English of a non-English driver's license, so that law enforcement officers can interpret the license. Secondly, it was the State of Florida Department of Motor Vehicles which requested that the law not be enforced because it is of questionable validity. That alone would protect you. Third, since the law appears to violate the Geneva Convention, of which the U.S. is a signatory, the law appears to be invalid. An invalid law cannot be enforced, despite the dubious efforts of any of my colleagues.

The latest update from Canada is that CAA is refunding the cost of the license to those that want it.

Apparently the legislation will not be enforced because Canadian drivers licences are already in English . The whole idea was to be able to read the drivers licences in english-speaking Florida :rolleyes: . Should have thought that one through a little longer in my opinion.

Several years ago I went through the ICP process when doing a Prinsendam 22 TA/ Med & 10 day land (3 day Rome, rent a car 7 day to explore).

Arriving at the car rental desk @ DiVinci the good folks could of cared less about the ICP.

A US license & valid credit card worked great.

I'd probably call the local rental car outlet (versus using info from the internet web-site) to confirm the needed documentation.

Enjoy!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

In Italy a International Drivers Permit is REQUIRED. Although many car rental offices don't ask for it, there could be problems if stopped by authorities or if you are in an accident. The IDP translate your drivers license into several languages so authorities in different countries can read it. With all the different drivers licenses in the fifty U.S. states and Washington D.C. plus all the different drivers license from others countries, the IDP simplifies things across the world.

Fat jack...that is exactly the reason why I always carry the IDL. Fortunately, after many years of driving in other countries, most of them in non English speaking countries, I have never had an accident or been asked for one by the authorities. But there is always a first time.

The IDL is not an official document it is just a translation.

Archived