How long between Miami airport and Disney Cruise ship?

FamilyOf4w2boys

Hi,

I recently booked a 5 night Caribean cruise w/ the Disney Wonder for my family and me. I booked our flight separate since the cruise line didn't appear to have flight options that let me stay a few extra days after the cruise, and no request guarantee of non-stop flights etc. (with a 11 mo and a 3 yr old I didn't want to tour the globe prior to reaching Miami). When booking the cruise it said 4 p.m. onboard. I assumed that means boarding starts at that time but they just now (upon preregistration) announced to me that this is the final boarding time. Our flight reaches Miami at 2.34p.m. Will this be enough time to get the luggage and get to the ship? Is taxi the best means of transportation? I don't have the option of spending another $2000 on another flight, is there any suggestion on how to solve this problem? By the way the Disney Cruise line is not very helpful (yet friendly).

Thanks for any advice! This was supposed to be the big vacation after many years but has been a nightmare so far.

NO! NO and NO. There's no way you'll get to the ship on time. You must be ON BOARD the ship 90 minutes before sailing, so if the ship sails at 5 you have to be checked in by 3:30. No way you'll make it from the airport, get luggage (in Miami you could wait 45 minutes for your bags--both times I flew into Miami it took over an hour for the bags to arrive--Miami is not the best airport) find a taxi and ride the 20 to 30 minutes to the port. Plus, youll be driving during rush hour which could be even more of a delay. And you know as well as I do that O'Hare isn't exactly known for on time flights, and if you're delayed even 15 minutes, and we know if there's a delay it will be longer than 15 minutes, you're even in more trouble. You need to change your flight ASAP, or fly in a day early. I know you don't want to pay the price, but it would be worse to pay the price of being denied boarding and not getting a refund.

BTW, there was a recent show on cruising where they shut down the boarding process at the 90 minute mark, and two couples were shut out. The cruise line must abide by Homeland Security rules.

Edited by kitty9

No way you'll make it on time.

Perhaps you can change your flight on the same airline, apply what has already been spent to your rebooking, minus the change fee.

Sorry you have to deal with this! The extra expense and hassle will not be fun. Most people reccommend flying in the day before to provide a cushion against delays, cancellations, etc.

If the ship sails at 4pm you need to be ONBOARD by 2:30pm ....2pm would be safer

If you can change your flight to the day before or early morning it would be better

It is 20=30 minute to the port & if there is any delay from Chicago you are out of luck & money

Change the flight ASAP

Probably goes without saying but make sure your Disney cruise leaves from Miami and NOT Port Canaveral.

My husband works for an airline and some people think the two are near each other, then find out the hard way when they get to Florida.

Probably goes without saying but make sure your Disney cruise leaves from Miami and NOT Port Canaveral.

My husband works for an airline and some people think the two are near each other, then find out the hard way when they get to Florida.

The Wonder is currently sailing out of Miami.

concur & sorry to say you made a boo boo

I've been in and out of Miami many many times

haulin 2 little ones and arriving at 2:30 ..... nope, not gonna work

You want to be at the pier by noon ... 2 would be the latest I'd get there and that ASSUMES the 3:30 cut off is correct.

You need to re-book

sorry

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Are you saying that you are flying into Miami but sailing out of Port Canaberal on a Disney Cruise?

It is about 3.5 hours driving time between the two. And could be longer depending on traffic.

You will never make it to the ship on time if it sails at 4 PM.

If you are sailing out of Miami -- you are still in trouble.

Getting your luggage alone will take time. And you need to be checked in at the ship no later than 2:30 -- 90 minutes before the cruise.

Okay, just checking.

Seriously, people book flights to Miami for cruises leaving out of Port Canaveral more often than you would think, assuming that they're close by.

Oh, I get that. We live in Southern California (near Disneyland). I can't tell you number of people who want to know if a day trip to San Francisco is doable on a Disneyland trip. :rolleyes:

Oh, I get that. We live in Southern California (near Disneyland). I can't tell you number of people who want to know if a day trip to San Francisco is doable on a Disneyland trip. :rolleyes:

LOL! A day trip to LA is pushing it from the OC.

Anyway, if the All Aboard time is 4:00, then that's the latest you can board. I don't know how far it is between the airport and port, but I think that you are really pushing your luck with that arrival time.

Yes, you don't want to pay the extra for changing the flight. But how much are you going to be out if you miss the ship?

Hi,

I recently booked a 5 night Caribean cruise w/ the Disney Wonder for my family and me. I booked our flight separate since the cruise line didn't appear to have flight options that let me stay a few extra days after the cruise, and no request guarantee of non-stop flights etc. (with a 11 mo and a 3 yr old I didn't want to tour the globe prior to reaching Miami). When booking the cruise it said 4 p.m. onboard. I assumed that means boarding starts at that time but they just now (upon preregistration) announced to me that this is the final boarding time. Our flight reaches Miami at 2.34p.m. Will this be enough time to get the luggage and get to the ship? Is taxi the best means of transportation? I don't have the option of spending another $2000 on another flight, is there any suggestion on how to solve this problem? By the way the Disney Cruise line is not very helpful (yet friendly).

Thanks for any advice! This was supposed to be the big vacation after many years but has been a nightmare so far.

4:00 PM is not final boarding time, it is sailing time for Disney Wonder from Miami to the Caribbean. Allowing for the 90 minute requirement, the latest you could board is 2:30 PM. There is no way your 2:34 arrival time works. To permit reasonable time to get off the plane: minimum 15 minutes from arrival, collect luggage: minimum 15 more minutes, get to and get in taxi: minimum 15 minutes, get from airport to port: minimum 30 minutes. Latest arrival time would be 1:15 PM. Have you ever heard of flight delays, hang-ups in getting lugage, waits for a taxi, traffic delays?

Finally, because it may be winter, serioous flight delays must be considered. A reasonable person would fly in the day before - a gambler might plan on a scheduled flight arival at Miami of noon or earlier, and even then should hope he's lucky.

I just remembered that on a recent trip, we had some question about whether or not my husband would be able to travel on the flight that we had booked because he had become ill with a stomach bug. We called the airline to see what recourse we had. Apparently if we were to fly out on the same day but on a different flight, there would be no change fee or upcharge on the fare. I think the airline was American. My point is to call the airline and see if they can accommodate you on an earlier flight (if there is one from Chicago to FL). You "might" be pleasantly surprised.

Did you ask anyone before you booked this flight? As other posters have all ready stated, it's absolutely impossible for you to make the ship if you arrive at MIA at 2:34PM. I know it will be expensive for you and your family but if possible bite the bullet and pay the airline change fee and see if there are any openings available to fly down the day before. Under Homeland Security rules you must be onboard the ship ninety minutes before it's scheduled departure. If the Disney Wonder is scheduled to depart at 4:00PM you have to be onboard the vessel at 2:30PM. Flying down on the day of the cruise always makes me nervous and I never do that anymore. Flying down with young children makes it even more nerve wracking. I wish you luck and wish that you checked with Cruise Critic before you made these arrangements. Experienced members would have helped you with there knowledge getting you to the ship ontime.

• 1 year later...

A lot of misinformation in this thread. Just off the wonder a few weeks ago and read this thread while waiting onboard for other family members on different flight. Their flight arrived at 230. They made the cruise. The wonder all aboard time is four and they are checking people in at four . I would not advise coming in that late but there is no must be onboard by 230 rule of 90 minute before leaving that was enforced anyway.

A lot of misinformation in this thread. Just off the wonder a few weeks ago and read this thread while waiting onboard for other family members on different flight. Their flight arrived at 230. They made the cruise. The wonder all aboard time is four and they are checking people in at four . I would not advise coming in that late but there is no must be onboard by 230 rule of 90 minute before leaving that was enforced anyway.
:confused: The OP's cruise was well over a year ago. You've resurrected a thread from February 2013.