Did Specialty Restaurants Price's Go Up?

Cruiser21

Went online tonight to book my specialty restaurants and the Tuscan Grill is now $35 per person and Murano is $45 per person. Do they Increase the the price closer to sailing date? I sail next week on Reflection.

Thanks for the heads up. The old prices were TOO HIGH, but the new prices are insane. We only used to pay for the specialty restaurant when it was 1/2 off. Even at 1/2 off I dont know if Murano is worth it (we normally dine at Tuscan).

On our Silhouette sailing last May it seems that only Murano was doing well.

Every night without fail there were members of staff standing outside the MDR trying to get people to go to Tuscan Grill or Qsine on a two for one basis. It actually made it feel a bit awkward going into dinner as you felt bad for them.

I can therefore understand that they might be able to push up the price for Murano but for the others it seems very odd :confused:.

We were just on Eclipse, and had dinner in Tuscan Grill and Murano's. Both were lovely experiences, but honestly, if we didn't have a boatload of OBC, I would not have gone. BUT, I will say, both were booked to capacity when we were there, so I guess they feel like they can charge what they want and people will still go.

Gig103 said: "You can recoup that $5/pp by removing your auto gratuity and tipping your MDR staff in cash on the days you see them."

Oh, please don't. The auto gratuity goes to all those servers who take care of you throughout the day, not just at the dinner in the MDR. The ones who serve at the breakfast in the MDR, or Aqua Spa Cafe, or the buffet, the hamburger grill staff, the ones who give out snacks at Cafe al Bacio. It's not just a gratuity for the dinner service but for the whole day's service no matter where it takes place

Yes, I agree please don't. When gratuities are removed - it just screams of cheap, cheap, cheap. You cannot possibly make up for it by handing out cash as your waiter and room steward will be required to turn in anything they get from you to put back into the pool of tips created from auto gratuity. You may ask how will the suits know..they won't know exactly but there will be an expectation that they turn in something. So you now have put them in a difficult situation.

I'm disappointed to hear this. We were just on Equinox and while they were all nice I was not nearly as impressed. In fact I felt like the quality in Tuscan had gone down and I wasn't fully satisfied either time. I actually think the filet I had in Blu was better than the one I had in Tuscan. I guess unless we have an OBC to use or the run specials we will no longer be visiting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just as a side note, NCL also did a price increase for their steakhouse. Granted it is not high, but they are different products of course. I also noticed that the package is still available at the same price for our Silhouette sailing, now those are considerable sailings. We bought the package and can't wait to try them all, I can't say that I will do any specialty dinning again after this sailing in X. Just too expensive.

Meals in the MDR have never been great for us and the specialty restaurants have been increasingly a higher class show with only marginally better quality meals. In future, will only consider using SDR's sparingly. I agree that the motive for the increase seems to be to make the pkgs. look more attractive, which it undoubtedly will to some.

On our recent Reflection sailing, both Murano and Qsine were booming. Clearly demand was exceeding supply so it doesn't surprise me that the price has gone up. Disappointing, but it's Economics 101.

As I recall, the last price increase up was in later 2011 after we did our June Solstice Med cruise. It is Economics 101, whether we like it or not. BUT, as the staff explained to me, they will offer various "specials" and packages depending on how their advance bookings are setting up. Watch for those packages!!! Overall, we really liked the three different places, that variety, timing flexibility. Below are three of my pictures, plus a link to added info on what we liked and did there during that June 2011 cruise.

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plan on doing a special group dinner in the wine room area of the Murano.

Speciality Dining Photos/Tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 121,318 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is an overview for this wonderfully-appointed, speciality Murano dining room with nice wood, ceiling, glass, etc., details. Maximum capacity for seating in 90. For the last night, they had 30 people on a waiting listing. We booked ahead which was smart in order to get a specific date on a sea day late in the cruise for our 39th wedding anniversary, June 17, 2011.:

MuranoRoomOverview.jpg

Doing dining “family-style” is especially fun in an Asian-style setting such as Silk Harvest. That sharing of the experience adds to the fun and interest. This first course is called “small plates” and we started with a nice mix, including interesting sauces that added much to the enjoyment.

SolsticeSilkHarvestAppitzer.jpg

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed. A key tip for the Tuscan Grille is to “pace yourself” as the portions are large (and good). You need to save room for the desserts, etc.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

We were on the fence about the specialty restaurants........definitely OFF the fence now! We are lucky enough to be dining in Blu. I don't like the whole nickel and dime thing....too bad.

Responding again to this :

Gig103 said: "You can recoup that $5/pp by removing your auto gratuity and tipping your MDR staff in cash on the days you see them."

My question is -- do you propose to give cash to staff each day as you see them? That's how I read this. So, you see a server at the Aqua at breakfast, and hand over some cash. Then later, you see the same server at the MDR lunch, more cash. Then you stop by the buffet for some late afternoon sushi, see your assistant waiter there, so more cash? That night That night, you eat in the MDR, and give more cash for that evening's service. That can't be what you meant, is it?

Another thing to consider. When you remove the auto tips, the management conclude, rightly or wrongly, that you are dissatisfied with your service. It goes against the server, who loses time off, or some other job performance perk.

If you are mad at Celebrity for raising the price, take it out on Celebrity, but not on the waitstaff.

My BF and I were planning on doing the 5 night specialty package on an upcoming cruise, and it doesn't look like that price changed. Or did it? Or will it, anyone think?

So far no changes on the package, but you never know. If I was you I would buy before they decide to make another move.

Did the price for Bistro on 5 go up as well?

We were planning to book the SS United States for the first evening of our TA and take advantage of the first night discount. I think we will happy with the 1 dinner in a speciality restaurant from our Travel agency. If We have a large amount of on board credit, we will enjoy the speciality restaurant, otherwise we will dine in the main dining room.

Wow :mad:, this really does look like they are starting to nickle and dime you to choose another line. I've already purchased a 5 night package and an additional night at Qsine. I was going to upgrade to the Ultimate Dinning Package when I got onboard. Only and extra $48 for the both of us. I'm now wondering if that price of $29 p/p per day will go up :(. This is my first cruise with Celebrity and I can understand the economic angle but some of the other postings are correct, this thing, if true might just blow up in there face . Oh well, back to Princess..lol ;)

The speciality restaurants are never full. I have been going to them since they first built them...never full.

Do they expect to fill at a price of $45?:eek:

I think not!

Counts me out!!:cool:

The speciality restaurants are never full. I have been going to them since they first built them...never full.

Do they expect to fill at a price of $45?:eek:

I think not!

Counts me out!!:cool:

Both Tuscan Grill and Murano were at capacity the nights we were there. Apparently people ARE paying the high prices to dine there. Like I said previously, if it weren't for all the OBC we had, we would not go.

We have always sailed RCCL but will be taking our first cruise next week on Reflection. We always do at least two Specialty Restaurants or more on RCCL. Chops Grill $30, Giovanni Table $20 and Samba Grill $30. Tuscan Grill falls into theses price ranges $35 but Murano $45 seems a little high. Could be the cost of food and produce is rising and this will happen with other lines.

Another thing to consider. When you remove the auto tips, the management conclude, rightly or wrongly, that you are dissatisfied with your service. It goes against the server, who loses time off, or some other job performance perk.

If you are mad at Celebrity for raising the price, take it out on Celebrity, but not on the waitstaff.

Isn't it interesting that the only ones whose income is not protected by wording in the cruise contract happen to be those whom the cruiselines say comprise their greatest asset..their hard-working crew.

Hi,

I read on some threads that Celebrity do offer 2 for 1 for specialty restaurant, how does it work ?

Thanks

once in a while they offerit on the firstnight. and more often they offer it on the first nigh tto those sailing in Aqua class.....

It is not something you can depend on... My last sailing they did not offer it....they offered 20% off the first night.....

Archived