Did Specialty Restaurants Price's Go Up?

Cruiser21

My question is -- do you propose to give cash to staff each day as you see them?

For the sake of argument here (since I don't go to specialty restaurants so this doesn't apply to me), is I'd remove the gratuities the last evening and tell the GS desk that I prefer to tip in cash. By dinner time, I would know how many nights I was in the MDR. I'd hand them an envelope the last night for $7/pp/day (more than the autotip mind you) that I was with them. For the days I was in specialty dining, I know my fee includes gratuities to the employees (who also work the daytime venues).

For the sake of argument here (since I don't go to specialty restaurants so this doesn't apply to me), is I'd remove the gratuities the last evening and tell the GS desk that I prefer to tip in cash. By dinner time, I would know how many nights I was in the MDR. I'd hand them an envelope the last night for $7/pp/day (more than the autotip mind you) that I was with them. For the days I was in specialty dining, I know my fee includes gratuities to the employees (who also work the daytime venues).

Hi Mike, but for another (sake of the argument)....the autotips also

refer to your cabin attendant and assistant and all the other people

who have helped with the cruise experience.

I know that Celebrity checks in here from time to time and I hope that they see this thread. I have been looking at the pictures and reviews of Q-Sine and we've really been looking forward to trying it on our Summit cruise in December. $40 is right at the hairy edge of my tolerance, but we would have tried it on one night, but not at $45.

I'm thinking about buying a package, but since this is our first Celebrity cruise I'm not sure. Since there are only two specialty restaurants on the Summit the 3 night package says it includes "two dinners in Murano and one dinner in Qsine" for $109 per person. I assume that means Normandie instead of Murano since Murano isn't on the Summit. While I'm sure that Normandie is very good, if I am going to repeat a restaurant it would be Q-Sine, not Normandie.

Oh well... I hope the MDR is good, otherwise we'll be trolling the buffet :D

We usually do at least one specialty restaurant per week of cruise, otherwise we actually like the MDR. Last cruise we had a big group and QSine was lots of fun and worth the experience, but not sure the food was all that much better. We also did the lawn club, and again it was fun, and the steak was good, but probably not good enough to repeat at these high prices. We've done Tuscan Grill before and didn't think it worth it either.

We are going again in a few months and I guess we'll look for specials.

The speciality restaurants are never full. I have been going to them since they first built them...never full.

Do they expect to fill at a price of $45?:eek:

I think not!

Counts me out!!:cool:

I agree with you 100%.I wouldn't mind but the food is not that good,just seasoned and served well,not worth the upcharge..

I know that Celebrity checks in here from time to time and I hope that they see this thread. I have been looking at the pictures and reviews of Q-Sine and we've really been looking forward to trying it on our Summit cruise in December. $40 is right at the hairy edge of my tolerance, but we would have tried it on one night, but not at $45.

I'm thinking about buying a package, but since this is our first Celebrity cruise I'm not sure. Since there are only two specialty restaurants on the Summit the 3 night package says it includes "two dinners in Murano and one dinner in Qsine" for $109 per person. I assume that means Normandie instead of Murano since Murano isn't on the Summit. While I'm sure that Normandie is very good, if I am going to repeat a restaurant it would be Q-Sine, not Normandie.

Oh well... I hope the MDR is good, otherwise we'll be trolling the buffet :D

Normandie is far better than Q-sine. Trust me the novelty of Q-sine makes it very special, but you will be happy that your third meal is in Normandie.

We usually go to Murano at least once, sometimes twice on a longer cruise. We have not sailed with Celebrity since late 2007 and knew that the longer dinner including cheese course in Murano was no longer available. We had mostly made up our mind that we would not dine there on our 7 day June cruise and now that's for certain. As others have said, there is good food in the MDR and we'll instead have lunch in the Bistro at least once.

Hi,

I read on some threads that Celebrity do offer 2 for 1 for specialty restaurant, how does it work ?

Thanks

Most of the time if the ship is in a port overnight they will offer 1/2 price on at least one of the specialty restaurants. They are almost always 20% off the first night of each cruise.

We usually go to Murano at least once, sometimes twice on a longer cruise. We have not sailed with Celebrity since late 2007 and knew that the longer dinner including cheese course in Murano was no longer available. We had mostly made up our mind that we would not dine there on our 7 day June cruise and now that's for certain. As others have said, there is good food in the MDR and we'll instead have lunch in the Bistro at least once.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Murano's came out on the S-Class ships in 2008 on Solstice, so you must have eaten somewhere else back in 2007. Contrary to what you have heard, they do have a cheese cart -- at least they did this past November on Equinox.

I think the MDR is excellent -- Blu even better, but my opinion the Bistro is overrated.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Murano's came out on the S-Class ships in 2008 on Solstice, so you must have eaten somewhere else back in 2007. Contrary to what you have heard, they do have a cheese cart -- at least they did this past November on Equinox.

I think the MDR is excellent -- Blu even better, but my opinion the Bistro is overrated.

They still had the cheese course in Murano on Equinox last month.

Murano was introduced on Century after the drydock that added balconies to her.

I've never understood the appeal of the specialty restaurants. We went to one, once...the very pretty dining room on the Millenium, but it was a more than 3 hour ordeal for ok food, not THAT much better than the MDR. A cruise costs a lot to begin with - unless you never have the opportunity for fine dining either where you live or on other vacations, it was one and done for us.

Lois is correct. Murano debuted on Century in 2006 and was the first Murano in the fleet. It was by FAR our most memorable specialty restaurant dining experience ever. Our daughter had fallen down the steps on the way to the restaurant and was upset as we walked in. The staff went over the top to make her forget the fall (she was fine) and the food was unbelievable. I think we tried everything on the menu that evening and the service was incredible.

In retrospect, that experience was worth $45!

We have enjoyed many dinners at Murano in the past, however at $90 per couple, we can eat at Capital Grille, Mortons and many other places. In my estimation the meals at Murano, while good, are not worth that amount of money.

Did the price for Bistro on 5 go up as well?

We were planning to book the SS United States for the first evening of our TA and take advantage of the first night discount. I think we will happy with the 1 dinner in a speciality restaurant from our Travel agency. If We have a large amount of on board credit, we will enjoy the speciality restaurant, otherwise we will dine in the main dining room.

Would like to know this as well regarding Bistro?:confused:

I'm betting on two things:

• Few people bother tipping in the specialities, so price is increased to cover this and make it a place to attact the best of the crew.

• There are regular threads about MDR food quality, usually said to be deteriorating. Getting a speciality booking for certain days/times (even in advance of a cruise) is not straight forward. Demand is high, therefore the price can go up to reflect it. Simple market economics. If enough people vote with their feet the price will drop and/or there will be more discounted deals.

Normandie is far better than Q-sine. Trust me the novelty of Q-sine makes it very special, but you will be happy that your third meal is in Normandie.

Thanks for the input. Half of the reviews I read prefer Q-sine and half prefer Normandie :D I'm sure that it's great, but it's French cuisine, which I can find all over the Chicago area. There are fewer places doing molecular gastronomy so that makes Q-sine more unique to me.

Lois is correct. Murano debuted on Century in 2006 and was the first Murano in the fleet. It was by FAR our most memorable specialty restaurant dining experience ever. Our daughter had fallen down the steps on the way to the restaurant and was upset as we walked in. The staff went over the top to make her forget the fall (she was fine) and the food was unbelievable. I think we tried everything on the menu that evening and the service was incredible.

In retrospect, that experience was worth $45!

I was first there in 2007 and would agree. It was one of the best Speciality experiences I have had, run very close by a couple of earlier visits to Ocean Liners on Constellation and SS United States on Infinity (which to my taste has the best decor out of all of them). With the risk of repeating a point I have made before I don't feel Murano's is as special as it once was, certainly on the S-Class ships. They focus far too much on their reputation and decor instead of putting the customer at the centre of focus and this can come across as arrogant rather than warm and friendly.

Phil

I'd rather have a nice dinner or lunch on shore for the same price. Don't know the reasoning but on Eclipse in November, specialty restaurants were lacking in customers. Always empty tables. X's reasoning is beyond my thoughts. Evolution is not always good, some species die!

We have enjoyed many dinners at Murano in the past, however at $90 per couple, we can eat at Capital Grille, Mortons and many other places. In my estimation the meals at Murano, while good, are not worth that amount of money.

I'd tend to agree.

And to tilt the math more against it, factor in that we've already paid for dinner in the MDR. That makes the Murano meal something like $125 per couple (if you're only drinking tap water, which is what I might have should we decide to go back to one of the specialty restaurants ;)).

Celebrity raised prices to increase revenue per passenger. They certainly discount aggressively on the ship. On my last cruise on the Eclipse, there was a female waiter that would stand at the entrance of Oceanview with a Qsine menu. She was offering two for one. She must have got a commission. There were always people promoting specialty restaurant specials and packages. I think the prices are still fair. In today's world, dining in a big city at a nice restaurant will always cost more than $100 for a couple.

For me the specialty restaurants break op the monotony of the MDR, or Blu. There is always a few nights where nothing on the posted menu looks great, so it's nice to have other options.

A cruise on Celebrity wouldn't be complete without at least one dinner in each of the restaurants. I just figure it's part of the cost of the cruise.

Archived