Cruising with gallstones

Bashlin

How soon is your cruise? Even with a lot of lfting in my job, I was allowed to go back to full duty in 2 weeks. The problem with waiting is the tissue is necrotic. I am an ICU RN with 30 yrs of experience and especially with the older patients have seen devistating consequences if you wait too long.

For this type of question. Only reason I even read the thread was because I had a gallstone problem and was told the bladder needed to come out about two weeks before a cruise. Thing is, I didn't ask this board if I should go or not, I just asked my doctor.

I agree you should only rely on medical advice from your doctor and not this forum. With that said, I am an ultrasound tech and the sonogram will be able to tell if it is acute and inflamed. A person can go a long time with gallstones as long as its not inflamed, causing blockage, or causing too much pain. Good luck.

How soon is your cruise? Even with a lot of lfting in my job, I was allowed to go back to full duty in 2 weeks. The problem with waiting is the tissue is necrotic. I am an ICU RN with 30 yrs of experience and especially with the older patients have seen devistating consequences if you wait too long.

Our cruise leaves this Saturday morning, March 23..my grandmother admitted she ate ribs this weekend after the doctor had told her not to.. Hopefully we can watch he diet and get her back to normal.. If the sonogram turns out ok in the a.m.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

She should ask about a HIDA scan along with the ultrasound. I had pain for over a year, and no one could diagnose it. They said it was this thing or that thing. The ultrasound of my gall bladder showed NOTHING. They finally did a HIDA scan, and it showed my gall bladder was very sick. I had surgery the next morning. My gall bladder was gangrenous and fell apart when he took it out! He said if it had been in there for two more weeks, I would have gone into sepsis and possibly died! :eek: I believe in HIDA scans!

As far as your grandmother, I hope she can go! How disappointing if she can't. I do hope if she does go that you can get insurance for her. I can't even imagine absorbing those costs if the gall bladder suddenly flares up.

Robin

When I started having abdominal pain last year, I went to my family doctor and told her what my symptoms were. She just looked at me and scheduled my U/S for the next morning. I'm a nurse and knew exactly what was going on. My surgeon didn't order the HIDA scan because like he said, my symptoms were classic and there was no need to waste money or time on the test. When my gallbladder came out, it was definitely diseased.

Our cruise leaves this Saturday morning, March 23..my grandmother admitted she ate ribs this weekend after the doctor had told her not to.. Hopefully we can watch he diet and get her back to normal.. If the sonogram turns out ok in the a.m.

Yep, it hates pork, I would have the worst pain in my back (shoulder blades) if I ate porkchops and roast beef would take 2 days to digest. Last year my co-worker was having symptoms for about 3 months so I told her she needed a sonogram because it sounded like gallstones, she finally made an appt. the Monday following our NYE's holiday weekend, I suggested she not eat anything greasy over the long weekend. Well Sunday afternoon I get a call from her DH, she had ate pizza on Sat night and ended up in excruiciating pain in the ER, admitted and 2 days later surgery. Sometimes it does not take much when you eat the wrong thing to throw you into a horrible reaction, I would really stress that to her to eat very bland if she decides she wants to go. :)

Wishing you well,

I had one gallbladder attack before I cruised 4 years ago and just thought well, what are the chances of it happening again? Oh, and I didn't know it was a gallbladder attack or really what to think.

Had another (I think, major) attack just when we got off the ship in Belize. We got off early because we thought we could shop. Nothing was open. I tried to tough it out for my daughters, but it got worse and worse. I thought I was DYING of a heart attack. Managed to get back on the ship and sent my girls to the pool (I was being as stoic as I could for them). Went to see the ship's doctor. He made me think my aorta might burst! He did give me some Tylenol 3 and a shot of something; which helped. Pain passed within a couple of hours and no problems the rest of the cruise.

Had another one shortly thereafter and then had that bad boy removed.

She should ask about a HIDA scan along with the ultrasound.

I had pain for over a year, and no one could diagnose it.

They said it was this thing or that thing.

The ultrasound of my gall bladder showed NOTHING.

They finally did a HIDA scan, and it showed my gall bladder was very sick. I had surgery the next morning.

My gall bladder was gangrenous and fell apart when he took it out!

He said if it had been in there for two more weeks, I would have gone into sepsis and possibly died! :eek:

I believe in HIDA scans!

Thank you so much for this!

The first part of your post sounds much like me.

No real satisfactory diagnosis and the ultrasound showed nothing, no gall stones,

- just a few small cysts on the liver (normal for a 60+ person).

Luckily, I've cleaned up my diet in the last 6 mths. and so attacks are rare now

but from now on I know what direction to press the doctor for. :cool:

Here's a Wiki link to the problem, for those who may want to find out a bit more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholescintigraphy

Since she spoke with the dr, and he said that if she feels good, she can go, and this morning is an ultrasound,,, I'd say, if the ultrasound is good, she should go. And keep a real good eye on her diet. (I have a 73 year old father who has had gout since I was little... who will STILL eat the foods he's not supposed, and act like he's surprised when he gets a flare-up. It ruined 2 days of a 4 day trip for my mom once. She has since told him that if he can't promise to avoid those foods on a vacation, he's not allowed to come - LOL!)

I had gallstones for about a year before I finally had it removed. I didnt have insurance at the time (this was many years ago). One day I had VERY BAD pain from the stones, I waited about 10 hours before I just couldn't take it anymore and finally went to the Er. They said that one of the stones was stuck in a duct and I needed to have it removed right away. The pain from them can be pretty unbearable. I would hate to be on vacation and have an episode but if she is careful about what she eats she should be ok. But if she has an episode I don't think they can do anything on the ship to help. Where on land I was able to go to the Er twice and get a shot that helped to relieve the pain.

I had gall bladder attacks while on vacation in Wisconsin Dells many years ago. My husband took me to an ER where the doc said it was probably acid indigestion. Didn't try to Xray or anything. They gave me a pain shot that night but we cut our vacation short and went home. The next 2 days I was in so much pain that I finally went to an urgent care in our area and found out it was definitely gall stones. They admitted me to the hospital and I had surgery within 2 days of that. They'd prefer to perform the surgery when you're not having an attack.

OP, I think your grandma needs to see her doc now and see what can be done, especially since they know she has the stones. It DOES feel like a heart attack. The pain is unbelievable and there's no way she wants to chance that on her long-awaited vacation.

Henry-364.jpg

Pizza at Henry House in Halifax, when we went ashore. Lovely!

Yep, it hates pork, I would have the worst pain in my back (shoulder blades) if I ate porkchops

and roast beef would take 2 days to digest.

Last year my co-worker was having symptoms

... I suggested she not eat anything greasy over the long weekend.

Well.. Sunday afternoon I get a call from her DH, she had ate pizza on Sat night

and ended up in excruciating pain in the ER, admitted and 2 days later surgery.

Sometimes it does not take much when you eat the wrong thing to throw you into a horrible reaction,

Funny you mention Pizza, my one big weakness :eek:

Pizza-1.jpg

Pizza display on Carnival VICTORY!

Since cleaning up my diet over the last 5 mths. or so

I've found that some Pizzas affect me (abdominal cramps at night)

but some Pizzas will not affect me.

Wife and I think we've narrowed it down to the kind of cheese?

We notice that particularly (New Zealand) Cheddar seems to act up, but other cheeses not?

My gastro-enterologist suggests that I keep tabs on my Pizza toppings

since it could be the toppings (in combo with cheese?) wot's causing the probs.?

Who knows? :cool:

Interesting also that Pork is also a 'sinner - who'da thunk it?

Henry-364.jpg

Pizza at Henry House in Halifax, when we went ashore. Lovely!

Funny you mention Pizza, my one big weakness :eek:

Pizza-1.jpg

Pizza display on Carnival VICTORY!

Since cleaning up my diet over the last 5 mths. or so

I've found that some Pizzas affect me (abdominal cramps at night)

but some Pizzas will not affect me.

Wife and I think we've narrowed it down to the kind of cheese?

We notice that particularly (New Zealand) Cheddar seems to act up, but other cheeses not?

My gastro-enterologist suggests that I keep tabs on my Pizza toppings

since it could be the toppings (in combo with cheese?) wot's causing the probs.?

Who knows? :cool:

Interesting also that Pork is also a 'sinner - who'da thunk it?

Just a quick thought- a lot of people are able to digest cheese from sheep or goat easier than from cow. For some reason, most people's system has an easier time with it.

Pat

HI all !

Very interesting topic as I just had my gall bladder out Feb 27th by laparoscope.

I knew from an xray I had gall stones for years but it didn't start acting up until Oct 1/12 when I was on a cruise. I thought I was having a heart attack as the dull pain was in my back, shoulder & under the right breast.

Had another attack in Nov, Dec & Jan so had an ultrasound which showed a 1.2 cm stone. My attacks were not the very painful kind just the long lasting 5 hours or so ones.

I went to the surgeon Jan 8 & asked if I could have the surgery after I returned from my trip to Cuba Feb 13 & he said okay.

While there I ate a lot of pork which doesn't seem to bother me but looking back he said it could even be salad so I'm attributing it to raw red onion.

The thing is I was okay but was worried the whole time in case it went bad as a pre existing condition wouldn't be covered on any of my insurance

policies.

Sure hope all turns out well for your Grandmother & the doctor okays her

cruise.

~ Jo ~ :)

Two years ago I had a gallbladder attack, the weekend before my cruise. I too had gallstones, one fairly large. Dr wanted to do surgery the next day but stated I "should" be ok if I went on my cruise, (because I was going) He prescribed anti inflammatory and I watched my food intake and alcohol as he directed. I was 50 at the time.

Surgery was scheduled the day after I returned home! :)

I would suppose it would be a decision only she could make with her dr.

Good Luck!

It's looking good, the nurse said she has a few small stones.. But should be ok.. She'll see the doctor in about a hour..

And the laughs are good XD

have a great cruise! And no more ribs for grandma!

Make sure she takes strong pain medication if the doctor OKs her trip. After two years with multiple attacks, two ER visits and finally a hospital admission, I swear I would put a gun to my head before having to deal with that level of pain ever again. With a four day hospital stay with only an IV drip, I finally had my surgery and was home the next day. I can eat anything I want and I never have to worry about another attack.

My wife and I along with our kids, sister, my mom and grandmother are set to sail this sat on the Carnival Victory. Grandmother at 73 is thinking she is having gall bladder issues.. She's had some from time to time in the past.. I know nothing about gallbladder problems.. Should I encourage her to go or should she stay home.. Otherwise she is healthy..

Thanks

Personal experience....

in October 2008, it was discovered I had a gallstone. It was large and not in danger of moving into the pancreas.

I had 5 cruises set from Nov 2008 to Feb 2009....so the doctor just told me do not eat any fat.

So I went on all 5 cruises. I just did not eat any fat....and I had no issues whatsoever....after the February cruise, I went in and had the gallbladder removed....

Archived