Celebrity Summit's 01-19-13 CDC Vessel Sanitation Report A Dismal 81 Failure!

Kitycaty

Well almost all the stuff was fixed before the inspector left and the crew reports of illness could have been they did not feel good went to bed woke up did not feel well and went to the Doctor who said when did this start and they said about 1AM when I went to bed.

Moldy stuff dirt and insect/rodent stuff is a concern as well as their "health expert' not knowing the right bleach concentration.

full report is here

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionCorrectiveActionReport.aspx

Standarts on cruise are strict- and so they should be, considering the thousand of people they handle year round. The low score the Summit got shows a lack of controll and an overall sloopiness, the people in charge surely get a little kick in the..well deserved. From experience I know that some inspectors or auditors are more picky, others less- anyway there is no low score for nothing! I am sure X takes care of their ships and few lections for the head staff is in order! They should run a much tighter ship before the next inspection! Alarming where also the Koli´s in the bunkered water taken on in St. Kitts...! Interessting website though thanks for shareing OP!

We were on the 1-19-13 cruise. We had previously been on 3 Soltice class ships and were disappointed by the cruise. It wasn't horrible, but the ship is dated and not as fresh as the newer ships. We thought it was strange that the Mast Bar was closed...and now I know why. I have to say I'm disappointed that a celebrity ship has such a low rating.

I have yet to receive any answer to my question regarding how often these inspections are performed! Every year, every 6 months, every 3 months, what, when???

Kity

I believe its once a year and inspections are always done randomly as opposed to scheduled

I remember in 2011 the Queen Mary 2 got an 84 a week before my friends sailed on it, coincidentally the cruise they were on before that was the Carnival Legend in 2006 right after it scored a 71.

Oh I would not hestitate to sail Summit in fact I suppose you never get the a " cleaner " ship now! I do not hope those " not so good" resoults refelct the cutting of money for the crew or that they hire less staff. If so it cetainley backfired!

Wow....what a crappy score! This is very disconcerting even though we are not sailing the Summit but we are sailing Millie. I expect every ship to have a score in the mid to high 90s....nothing below. Carnival scores a lot higher than Celebrity... Come on Celebrity - get it together! This is a disgrace to your line!

I just read the inspection report for Millie....dear god, some of the stuff is disgusting. The pot wash machines did not get up to sanitizing temperatures....bar utensils used for drinks were stored in dirty water. And this one ( I just copy and pasted this):

A live adult German cockroach with an egg sack and a live juvenile German cockroach were found inside the hood cleaning cabinet adjacent to the pot wash area.

This is gross and disgusting....omg! There is a lot more....sure items that are trivial but a lot that are not and can quickly get out of control.

I'm sure that Celebrity took swift actions and made personnel changes in the areas needed. I have no doubt that the issues were cleaned up. Should they have happened? No but from time to time we read things like this on just about every major line. I noticed that Princess had a ship to fail also. I remember the QM2 failing a few years back. Who would have thought that a Cunard ship would have failed? Hopefully Celebrity learned from this and it will make all ships safer.

We are actually looking to book this ship for Bermuda next summer and I have no hesitations at all.

I'm sure that Celebrity took swift actions and made personnel changes in the areas needed. I have no doubt that the issues were cleaned up. Should they have happened? No but from time to time we read things like this on just about every major line. I noticed that Princess had a ship to fail also. I remember the QM2 failing a few years back. Who would have thought that a Cunard ship would have failed? Hopefully Celebrity learned from this and it will make all ships safer.

We are actually looking to book this ship for Bermuda next summer and I have no hesitations at all.

You are sure base on???

From what I saw, since 2007 only two mainstream ships have had failing scores; Golden Princess and Celebrity Summit.

Wasn't this ship drydocked fairly recently?

CDC is in Atlanta, not DC. :rolleyes:

\

I don't think so. There have only been two mainstream cruise ships that have scored less than 85 since 2007.

Oh' date=' and I think we should add "repulsive".

But then again, both of these low scores were early this year, so maybe it is just our wonderful guys on DC trying to recoup some funding :confused:

Are the cruiselines fined for these infractions?[/quote']

A significant number of DC Congress Critters think self regulation rather than government regulation is the way to go. Maybe more inspections are needed . . .

You are sure base on???

From what I saw' date=' since 2007 only two mainstream ships have had failing scores; Golden Princess and Celebrity Summit.

Wasn't this ship drydocked fairly recently?[/quote']

Queen Mary 2 http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

HAL Veendam http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

RCI Monarch of the Seas http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

Thanks Christine. There are 3 more. Not sure the links are working as intended, they all go to the same page.

That report is pretty shocking.

44 items overall weren't in compliance. Who's in charge of cleaning on that ship?

Fortunately the Equinox scored a 97, and that's the ship I'm boarding in 9 days!

It's interesting to note that three Carnival ships scored 100.

A pretty sorry day in Celebrityland.

We sailed a TA to the US several years ago on =X=.

The cleaning the last 3 days was very detailed, taking off grills on air intakes and cleaning inside all machinery in the bar was the example I remember (Maybe because I spent too much time in the bar?:confused:;)).

That poor excuse of a cruise line??:rolleyes:

Go NCL!:)

You really SHOULDN'T rub it in at a time like this. ;)

The X cheerleading team is already pretty stunned, depressed, and dejected right now. :D

Interessting to read that not a single X- ship got the " 100 " in the last year. Maybe X should consider to take a little " action" in that compartment!

If you want a REAL eye opener, check out ALL of the scores for those tacky low class types on Carnival Splendor. :eek:

Gross? Disgusting? Horrible? Repulsive? Possibly, but are you aware of the billions of disease causing germs that you touch, eat, and breath in every second of every day you live your life? That life of yours is absolutely DEPENDANT on the symbiotic relationship to all those gross, disgusting, horrible, and repulsive bacteria in your digestive tract?

The only answer is to cancel your cruise, shower in bleach, don your hermetically sealed biohazard suit, and touch no one ever again.

My last cruise on Summit was last Nov/Dec and it was the first of my 22 Celebrity cruises that disappointed me in many respects. Having said that, on my recent cruise on Equinox, there was some discussion of the problems Summit was having and an indication that some of their management staff has been replaced accordingly. I am sorry, but I cannot remember the specifics of the discussion, although these comments came from the Captains Club hostess, who at the time was also helping man the future cruise desk (which is how we got on the topic - were reviewing spring 2014 cruises and I told her I would hesitate to go on the Summit again and why, and she told me about management changes due to some known issues that they expected would alleviate the problems).

The only answer is to cancel your cruise, shower in bleach, don your hermetically sealed biohazard suit, and touch no one ever again.

Question?? Is a shower jacket required in the master bathroom? Must I wear slippers?

As a former inspector of health care facilities for the aging, I read this report and was very impressed with the attention to detail that inspector took. I think all of these violations together were serious enough to make me regret booking our September cruise on the Celebrity Summit. At the same time, I wonder how many cruise ship inspectors are this thorough in their inspections. I remember well how some inspectors I worked with were very easy, while some of us had more integrity and did not let things slide which could impact safety or health.

hi navy- I blame the overdoing in hygiene for all those many allergies nowadays. Nevertheless if X allows to continue the downslide of their standards it will go more downhill every year. X- is named for the absolut clean ships. Anyway I myself found some nice " leftovers" , such as hairs, smear , of the previous occpuants of our cabin on our last Eclipse cruise. Mostly in the bathroom- absolutly not up to their standards! Sloopy housekeeping leads to sloopy maintainance and so on.

Archived