Disturbing review on the Breeze

MsMot

...can this person be making a mountain out of a mole hill? Our travel group of friends and family area anxiously awaiting September 2014 itineraries. We range between 30 and 72 years of age. With all of the recent turn of events lately, there is a good percentage of our group who don't want to cruise on Carnival again. It is going to be a sell when the time comes to say yay or nay and the bad reviews are making me nervous. . They want to sail the Oasis or the Allure, but I am confident (I think :confused:) that we'd all enjoy the Breeze.

My concern is reviews like the link attached. DH and I are easy going people. Give us good food, decent service and the serenity deck, and we are on our kind of cruise. We take mishaps with a grain of salt with the understanding that ship happens and the crew are humans who can have an off day. I noticed the cutbacks on my Freedom cruise, but has it really gotten worst?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217555

With or without that review, if your family wants to sail on Oasis or Allure, go for it! The difference between a cruise on the Breeze and one of the Oasis twins will be like night and day. It's absolutely amazing. We sailed on the Dream (Breeze's sister) and the Allure the same year, and the Dream was a nice cruise, while the Allure was a "Wow! This is amazing! Once in a lifetime" kind of cruise.

About the link to the review you mentioned, the poster does have some valid points but in my opinion, they are a bit exaggerated. Entertainment is definitely not as good (with more passenger participation activities and less professional entertainment) but you can still be entertained. Food selection is there (and there are still some excellent dishes) but they have cheapened out on others, so it is hit or miss. And the beds, while not as heavenly as they once were when the Comfort Bed System was introduced, are far from being rock hard.

Feel free to read and compare my two reviews below. Hope they help you decide.

Edited by Tapi

...can this person be making a mountain out of a mole hill? Our travel group of friends and family area anxiously awaiting September 2014 itineraries. We range between 30 and 72 years of age. With all of the recent turn of events lately, there is a good percentage of our group who don't want to cruise on Carnival again. It is going to be a sell when the time comes to say yay or nay and the bad reviews are making me nervous. . They want to sail the Oasis or the Allure, but I am confident (I think :confused:) that we'd all enjoy the Breeze.

My concern is reviews like the link attached. DH and I are easy going people. Give us good food, decent service and the serenity deck, and we are on our kind of cruise. We take mishaps with a grain of salt with the understanding that ship happens and the crew are humans who can have an off day. I noticed the cutbacks on my Freedom cruise, but has it really gotten worst?

I wouldn't worry too much about this review. There will always be complainers. Why make a big deal about the survey when you leave the ship? It now comes to me in an email after every cruise. This was changed a couple of years ago. Also, the tipping is NOT mandatory. If you feel your service was subpar, you can reduce or remove tips at guest services. I've only had one time on seven Carnival cruises that felt that service in dining room was less than good. And it was just slow. We ate at the buffet the rest of the cruise. I didn't bother adjusting any tips, but did say something in the email survey about it.

However, look at other cruise lines and investigate which you think you would enjoy most. Do some research, read some reviews. Even look on youtube for reviews. You have plenty of options, just go with the one you think everyone would enjoy most.

Have a great time, regardless of which you choose! :)

With or without that review, if your family wants to sail on Oasis or Allure, go for it! The difference between a cruise on the Breeze and one of the Oasis twins will be like night and day. It's absolutely amazing. We sailed on the Dream (Breeze's sister) and the Allure the same year, and the Dream was a nice cruise, while the Allure was a "Wow! This is amazing! Once in a lifetime" kind of cruise.

About the link to the review you mentioned, the poster does have some valid points but in my opinion, they are a bit exaggerated. Entertainment is definitely not as good (with more passenger participation activities and less professional entertainment) but you can still be entertained. Food selection is there (and there are still some excellent dishes) but they have cheapened out on others, so it is hit or miss. And the beds, while not as heavenly as they once were when the Comfort Bed System was introduced, are far from being rock hard.

Feel free to read and compare my two reviews below. Hope they help you decide.

Great advice. We were on Glory the first part of the month and we had a good cruise. Everything was very good for us with the exception of the entertainment,(or lack of), which unfortunately is the deal breaker for us going forward with Carnival - and were Platinum. We like professional entertainment and watching fellow passengers play games in the evening is not what we are looking for, so we will be traveling on other lines in the future, which is something we do anyhow. So I would like to add that if your friends are looking at the Oasis/Allure because of all of the entertainment options, then they will be really disappointed on Carnival, IMO. But if that isn't important to you or them, then Carnival offers a fun time at a great price.

I would take this with a grain of salt and not worry about it. There were probably 3,377 people who were happy about the cruise.

I'm finding it hard to believe they only had pizza and deli for dinner one night. You mean to tell me the dining room was closed?

I've seen people complain about the decor of the ship in that the phones do not match....REALLY? I also heard someone complain that this was there 15th cruise and they didn't eat because the sauce was too spicey. REALLY? If they cruised that much then they certainly know they can send it back and get something else.

I always look at it this way....for every negative I try to find 5 positives. It's a vacation, would they be complaining if they were home and working.

Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine but I wouldn't put too much into. Good Luck.

i wouldnt worry too much about it, you cant please everyone and if you already booked you cant cancel now unless it cost alot of time and money. we have sailed the Dream and found it be a good ship.

Some of the reviewers complaints sounds like they don't read CC much, if they did they would know you can request just about anything in the MDR, even if it isn't on the menu. Entertainment, just like most things is subject to taste. I don't care for the professional performances and dancing, but I love interactive shows and comedy/juggling. Like it was said above the survey comes as an email now, just another way for Carnival to cut down its carbon footprint like most companies are doing these days. There have been reviews of the beds that range from rock hard to just right... makes me think of goldilocks and the three bears. When the reviewer was talking about entertainment they said one night there was hypothesis??? I think they meant hypnosis, but I could be wrong. :)

As a manager for a large retail company, I hate it when someone says a company like Carnival doesn't care about its customers. Its sad that we concentrate so much on the negative that we forget all the great things these companies do. That doesn't excuse a company when the screw up, and they should take care of those problems.

All in all do what makes you happy. Don't ignore reviews, but take single reviews, especially from customers, with a huge "Oasis" size grain of salt.

I agree with the others. Take these reviews with a grain of salt or a large container of it! :p

The Breeze was a great ship, great customer service, no issues for us. We really enjoyed it! :D

We are relatively new to cruising so I'm sure there have been cut-backs, but we haven't noticed. :)

First of all, the photo galley does not close off deck 4....

that is called the lower promenade and it is where the Library, Club O2, Circle C and the Thrill Theater is. The photo gallery is simply part of the lower promenade....

So if these folks were not smart enough to figure that out...I doubt I would put a lot of stock in anything they say.

We have sailed on the Breeze 3 times since November and had an excellent time ... our beds were fine. Our food was fine.

And yes, we were even able to figure out how to walk THROUGH the photo gallery....lol

We were on the Breeze in Feb - and like LHP said, once you figure out how to get around you're good. Up to this point the Triumph was our favorite ship, now it's the Breeze. We'll be on here again next February, and looking forward to every second on her. Happy Easter

...No worries! Your "crew" will sincerely enjoy the Breeze. As you can see in my signature, we've sailed on plenty of Carnival ships, and I can honestly say that our Breeze cruise was definitely in our top two or three cruises! Staff was attentive, decor was nice, food was good and the layout of the ship made it very easy to get around.

...But, like others have said, the only downside was the entertainment. Though I thought the Hasbro game shows were entertaining, we also enjoy the "professional" stage shows. We thought that the Breeze's version of the professional shows "Playlist Productions" were not very good. We understand that these style shows are on a trial period, and are not being very well received. Hopefully, they will go back to their older style shows.

...But, that being said, we had a great time on the Breeze and are looking to make plans to sail on her again in the near future.

I have come to learn that you are never going to please everyone.:rolleyes: I really think it depends on the attitude you have, and just your overall personality. I am one of the most laid back people you will ever meet, so it would take a LOT to ruin my cruise, and certainly, any of the OP complaints seem a little "OUT THERE" to me. To each their own. I am leaving in 13 days on the Breeze, and cannot wait. Like I said earlier, it would take a LOT to ruin this cruise for me. Not happening:D:D:D

Feel slightly uncomfortable talking about the Oasis here - but I agree with the first comment. Oasis is something to be experienced and if the family group only does this once every few years or so, I would go for Oasis because the experience is much different than any other cruise I've had on any other line. The entertainment is what sold me on the Oasis and I was not disappointed.

I was on the Dream that same year, and there is no comparison. The Dream was a fine cruise, but it was your typical cruise, so there really is no comparison. You can always come back to Carnival for your next cruise.

Edited by 1cat4jan

I know I am a newbie to cruising, except for my Navy days, but here is my take on a review like this and some others I have seen. Now bear in mind that some reviews are actually validated by bad circumstances while on board. IMO I truly believe that some people get emotionally hyped up before a cruise, to the point of building up the event in their mind before they ever embark so much that it really doesnt take much to destroy their conception of what it "should" be like. In other words the ship and its staff just cannot win. I think some folks will find things wrong anywhere they look, no matter what the food is like or how the service is. Not everything will be perfect and as a first time cruiser I expect that and I know people are human and will make mistakes but I treat others the same way I would expect to be treated. I read a review in which the person complained because their young children were too short to use the slide or main pool on the Elation. Thats not the fault of the Elation or their staff. This person sounded as if it put them out to have to use the kiddie pool. That being the case I suppose they should not have taken their kids. Some people will find fault wherever they look and that is human nature in some, unfortunately. I dont put alot of stock in those reviews.

As others have said, take reviews with a grain of salt, including the ones that proclaim that everything was perfect.

I would be disappointed, too, if I thought I were going to a hypnotist show and it was someone just spouting hypotheses. :rolleyes: LOL. And, I've cruised Carnival since 1997 and never once was I handed a towel and water when I got back on the ship. I'm thinking this person is confused.

A cruise is what you make it. If you believe you and your friends and family will enjoy and let the small things roll off, go and have fun!

Personally, I rarely ever go to the shows--just not interested, so the reported deterioration of Carnival's entertainment doesn't matter to me. But, there are other things that are pushing me to other lines. After my Baltic cruise this summer--which will be our Platinum cruise--we'll be trying out other lines. Carnival was great when DD was young, but she'll be 18 soon and we're both wanting a different experience. I'm sure we'll sail Carnival again, but it won't be our first choice in the future.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

It sounds like a review from a cruiser that was used to the good-ole`-days when Carnival offered certain services and certain levels of quality. In order to keep their rates resonable for their demograpic maket, they probably had to cut some corners.

For those of us that did not sail CCL back in the day, these changes are accepted for what they are, but with that being said, it must be difficult to have a certain expectations based upon previous Carnival cruises. If I were sailing on Celebrity or Princess than the mentioned cut-backs would become an issue but for the low rates that we paid, the cut-backs are tolerable. I wouldn't book @ Motel-6 and expect the same level of quality that I would receive at the Conrad. Just sayin...... a resonable rate equates to a nice cruise experience minus the fluff. If one wants fluff than they can book on another cruiseline that is known for it's service and quality.

IMO, Carnival is an entry-level style cruiseline just as a Toyota is for a first car. If one can afford the fluff then they can move-on-up to an Audi.

:)

I don't get it - this is entitled ' Disturbring Review on the Breeze ' - I would challenge to find ANY ship that does not have at least one 'disturbing' or negative review - why would that be such a deal breaker?

How about bad movies? Ever read a bad review on a movie/restaurant, etc and still try it out? You need to figure out what is most important to you in a cruise - then find the 'vacation' that matches it best! Good Luck :)

P.S. I loved the Breeze by the way (see review below)

Edited by Froufie

I read that review and saw some valid points. But the problem is there were big errors also. The restaurant only blocks going through on Deck 3. You can get from the front to the aft on Deck 4. Also the tips are not Mandatory.

I think they were not happy and this colored their whole cruise. They found problems that didn't exist. I am not saying there are no problems, but those 2 do not exist. So like others have said, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt.

I am interested in the beds. We will be finding out in less than 2 weeks. I have noticed on a couple of our recent cruises the beds have been firmer than they used to be. I personally didn't sleep as well on the firmer ones. But for others the firmer ones would be better.

Sharon

I wouldn't worry about this review. Just glancing at the review, it is clear that the poster was looking to find complaints. Cause he states no enterintment other then Carnival singer and dancers. However the Breaze has the punchliner codemy club. So altough not in the main lounge, there would have between 2 and 4 comndey shows a night.

Edited by CdrescherRBL152

Hi!

I have not read through all the responses yet, so I will apologize ahead of time for duplicating some things that others might point out. Here's what I see wrong with this review:

Carnival is "cutting corners to save money" by making the beds and sofas harder? Hmmm. How would they go about that, and how would it save them money? I wonder, how does the reviewer think they have accomplished this. Did they put boards under the formerly soft furniture? Did they throw out all the "good" furniture and buy new stuff? But...that costs money, so surely they haven't done that, because they are "cutting corners", right?

One of the shows was a hypothesis. Wow. That is a very new and different idea for a show. Did the CD just go up and write the hypothesis out on a whiteboard and then let the audience peruse it and come to conclusions or was there a game where everyone got to participate in proving or disproving the hypothesis? :rolleyes:

The dining room menu was limited. Huh. Odd. Did they just up and throw out the "Always Available" section solely for this cruise? Because that, coupled with the numerous app and entree choices on every menu every night of every cruise makes for a pretty varied selection. What sort of menu was the reviewer hoping for? And those crazy cruise crews. Serving lunch at noon. What are they thinking?!

There was no evening entertainment. Oh, but that band played every night. But the reviewer didn't like the area that they played, so that means the entertainment did not exist. Oh yeah, and those nights that had no entertainment had ships singers and dancers. They don't count either, apparently.

Clearly, since they do not give you a towel when you get back on the ship, Carnival does not care about you. I mean, that is a clear and logical conclusion to come to based on the lack of a wet towel, right?

Did you notice that this reviewer had not one nice thing to say about the cruise other than that there was a lot for the kids to do? A person who wants to review their cruise fairly and accurately is bound to have some positives. A person who is a chronic Wendy Whiner with an entitlement complex is going to write a review b*tching about every single thing, including that there were no comment cards so he could b*tch on them, too. (I am sure the guest service desk attendant would have given the reviewer a card had he or she asked for one).

If you embark on your cruise with the expectation that you are going to have a wonderful time, chances are very, very good that you will. If you get on the ship looking for all the negatives you see in reviews, you will be missing out on all the really incredible stuff, and may set yourself up for a less than stellar time.

Your vacation will probably not be perfect. It's rare that anything turns out perfectly, right? But it will probably be awesome. :) I have read a lot of reviews (I read the dreadful ones for entertainment value) and have seen that many times people are on the exact same cruise and have completely opposite opinions reflected in their reviews. Too, many, many more people who have a negative experience will take the time to write a review than those who had a fantastic time.

Have a fantastic cruise, and come back and do a photo review so I can get a food porn fix, will ya?

Is that your dog or just a pic that you liked? Every time I see it, it makes me laugh.

There are plenty of reviews here on the Carnival thread which are available for you to read to get a balance of opinions. Go to SEARCH this thread and put in CARNIVAL BREEZE.

Read more reviews. If what that reviewer said was true, I don't think you would find the number of positive reviews you do find.

My husband and I are 70 and 74. Since you are traveling with all ages, feel free to read an older perspective as well as the other age cruisers who may cover different experiences.

Be informed, not afraid.