Last Voyage of the Monarch of the Seas!

[quote name='DarthGrady']
[IMG]http://images.photo1.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp437%3B7%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A9727972326nu0mrj[/IMG]
[/quote]

I was recently on (mid-March) and I found it surprising that this is where the shuffleboard was....directly in the middle of the walking/running track. Awkward for those who wanted to play when others want to walk, and also it made the playing area lean fairly heavily toward the sea.

After a little thought, I wondered whether shuffleboard used to be up in the sports area, but the addition of ping pong tables and climbing wall meant it had to be moved somewhere else, and it ended up on 7th deck. Anyone know?

"Monarch" was our first ever cruise back in 1995. Since then we have cruised with RC many times. In fact we managed 2 with "Monarch" last year. Would have loved to have been there for her final but coming all the way from England we could not manage it.

[quote name='deltahog']I was recently on (mid-March) and I found it surprising that this is where the shuffleboard was....directly in the middle of the walking/running track. Awkward for those who wanted to play when others want to walk, and also it made the playing area lean fairly heavily toward the sea.

[COLOR="Red"]After a little thought, I wondered whether shuffleboard used to be up in the sports area, but the addition of ping pong tables and climbing wall meant it had to be moved somewhere else, and it ended up on 7th deck. Anyone know?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

In the yearbook they gave us you can see that the deck where the rock wall is now used to be open. It would make a lot more sense to have them there, but it's too far away to tell.

[quote name='Clamett']Did anyone write down the words to the song the Liberty Hounds sang as as a tribute to the Monarch?[/quote]
I guess you're not referring to Sweet Home Alabama? That's what they seemed to play in honor of Monarch. I missed the connection. Edited by clarea

[quote name='DarthGrady']My thoughts as well Kathy. I saw a picture somewhere of the cake they made for Sovereign, it looked pretty nice.[/QUOTE]

The cake on the last night of the last 4 night was MUCH better. Sorry, I didn't take a picture :(

It even had a Viking Crown. Edited by Scotty G

[quote name='Scotty G']The cake on the last night of the last 4 night was MUCH better. Sorry, I didn't take a picture :(

It even had a Viking Crown.[/quote]
Here is Mari's picture of the cake on the last 4 day cruise:

[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/do-re-mi123/IMG_0533_zpsf5e34745.jpg[/IMG]

Great review and nice pictures!

Monarch was my first cruise back in 1994 and I remember making a ship tour video with my brother using what would now be considered an ancient video camera. My parents still display a family picture of us standing in front of the piano on one of the formal nights. I saw the exact location where my brother and I laid out in the sun on sea day in one of your pool pictures.

Great to relive those memories while looking at your pictures, thank you for sharing!

Bob, did you have the Royal Suite? We saw a sign with Bob on it on the webcam! If you did- I'm totally jealous!

Hahaha! No, I had the Royal Suite! I made the Hi Bob sign because Debalex was also on this sailing and she left her DH, Bob, home! I sent him the link to the webcam and we were hoping Fishlips would focus on it! Deb called him before we got out to sea and Bob did see his banner! Now I'm waiting for Fishlips to post the video of the 3-29-13 sailing in their archives for me to see us!

100_1647.JPG

Thanks for all the great shots!!! Hope our paths cross again and we can tip a few together :D:D:D

LOL, nice pic!

You got a deal on tipping a few, I wish there had been more time on this cruise. It went by waaaay too fast!

• 6 months later...
Maybe it's me,but that cake looks pitiful.......they did a much nicer one for the last Sovereign cruise..

Couldn't agree more! Maybe they'll let me help out with the Majesty cake when the time comes? I have a wonderful portfolio, and I'd be willing to make it for a trade: sweet for suite??? Just sayin'.... lol :p

Hello everyone! It's been a very nice weekend on board the Monarch for her last cruise with RCI. We've had great weather all three days. The past guest party was yesterday, there are a TON of C&A members on board. Somewhere around 80 Diamond, 170 D+ and 30 Pinnacle!

Tonight will be the Farewell Party in the Centrum, I'll get lots of pictures to share when I get back home. The ship is still in good shape. Other than the empty gift shops and farewell banners you wouldn't know that anything was different.

I'll be back on later today or tomorrow with more, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the old girl's last cruise was going well!

Thanks for this post, my wife and I have fond memories of the Monarch. Only sailed on her one time, but it was one of our favorite cruises. We were with some great people and had a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing your photos. I hope you don't mind we are going to steal some of your photos and incorporate them into our old album from our cruise.

Thanks for this post, my wife and I have fond memories of the Monarch. Only sailed on her one time, but it was one of our favorite cruises. We were with some great people and had a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing your photos. I hope you don't mind we are going to steal some of your photos and incorporate them into our old album from our cruise.

I don't mind at all, glad you enjoyed the review. :)

Edited by DarthGrady

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I just read this whole thing over again. I loved my cruise on Monarch, so I was very pleased to stumble upon this. Thank you for doing this! Beautiful pictures that really capture the atmosphere of the ship. (:

You're welcome! Hard to believe it's already been a year since that cruise.

Sent from my Tricorder

Hello everyone! It's been a very nice weekend on board the Monarch for her last cruise with RCI. We've had great weather all three days. The past guest party was yesterday, there are a TON of C&A members on board. Somewhere around 80 Diamond, 170 D+ and 30 Pinnacle!

Tonight will be the Farewell Party in the Centrum, I'll get lots of pictures to share when I get back home. The ship is still in good shape. Other than the empty gift shops and farewell banners you wouldn't know that anything was different.

I'll be back on later today or tomorrow with more, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the old girl's last cruise was going well!

Oh how sad. :( I wish I had had the opportunity to sail on her.