Passenger booted of Rhapsody of the Seas

This has been extensively discussed on the RCI board and seems to have degenerated into an argument about drinks packages.

I would not generalise,Sutho, and call him an example of "bad sorts" to be kept off the ship - from the discussion on RCI it seems he got drunk and carried out some stupid actions for which he was (rightly) punished.

That is disgusting behaviour. He could have easily hurt someone. Good on RCCL for applying the rules of sea safety....maybe they should have towed him behind in one of the tenders until reaching Noumea:D

I only just noticed it on the news section. It looked good as it proves cruise lines enforce the rules and keep the yobbos and trouble makers off the ship. Any sort of reckless behaviour like that is unwelcome. Throwing anything off a ship is dangerous and as it described they were metal they could easily have been blown back onto the ship went into a balcony or the promenade deck and possibly killed someone or knocked them out. Metal stanchions would be heavy and have a heavy base to anchor the pole to hold the ropes up.

I just saw the RCI thread then. The arguements about alcohol is irrelevent. The sort of behaviour is dangerous and unacceptable and trouble makers like this should be rightly removed from the ship. Weather he was drunk or not, his act was highly dangerous and could have hurt somone, damaged the ship. Imagine what it would have meant for the cruise had he thrown the deck chair over and more things and they got sucked into the propellers damaging them..

Its just not on that sort of behaviour and I have no sympathy for the person who got booted for it.

Good on RCI and I'm afraid it's the old story we hear over and over again on both our radio and see on TV that more and more Australian's are behaving badly due to their excessive alcohol consumption.

Just need to talk to the A & E departments at main city hospitals and they'll say it's alcohol that's the root of the problems they see, not even drugs.

Jill:(

bogans will be bogans, drink packages or not

Yup. Shame they can't do a pre boarding bogan check list. Must check out the RCL thread. They get a bit strange about terminology there. Beer/spirits/liquor/wine hang ups.

bogans will be bogans, drink packages or not

I agree and they can be from any country or demograph!

The RCI Cheer squad are convinced they have seen way too much drunken behaviour go un noticed by staff on previous cruises, I say they are full of S###!

Being Drunk and being Drunk & Disorderly are two separate states!

Being drunk is not against RCI policy but being disorderly is regardless of if you are drunk or not!

I got drunk for 4 straight days and nights on my recent RCI cruise but didnt bother anyone!

It was my decision and mine alone to cancel my drinks package because I didnt realize how drunk I was until viewing videos on the 5th morning of the cruise and didnt like what I see!

Cruise staff would have been quite happy to let me get just as drunk for the next 10 nights!

Den

I agree and they can be from any country or demograph!

The RCI Cheer squad are convinced they have seen way too much drunken behaviour go un noticed by staff on previous cruises, I say they are full of S###!

Being Drunk and being Drunk & Disorderly are two separate states!

Being drunk is not against RCI policy but being disorderly is regardless of if you are drunk or not!

I got drunk for 4 straight days and nights on my recent RCI cruise but didnt bother anyone!

It was my decision and mine alone to cancel my drinks package because I didnt realize how drunk I was until viewing videos on the 5th morning of the cruise and didnt like what I see!

Cruise staff would have been quite happy to let me get just as drunk for the next 10 nights!

Den

Den, good on you, upfront and honest re the pen and ink. ! But it would appear RCI are not interested in the 'responsible service of alcohol.' I can't really comment as I have never cruised with Royal Caribbean.

Now I reckon I am a cruising bogan, as I don't have a tuxedo anymore, I gave it away to charity in the UK last year, post Arcadia. As for my drinking habits, I am just a quiet imbiber, I just fall asleep and annoy no one, except my poor missus with my snoring, LOL.

Now it is blazer and strides, shirt and tie for formals, would not do on Cunard, sorry Bazzaw.

Its happens on P&O Australia quite often .

Whats all the fuss about?

Which is why I won't cruise P&O (anymore). I live in a nation of bogans for whom disrespecting other peoples space and making an ass of themselves (but it's never their fault it was 'the alcohol') has become a national sport. Despite what some people say....Australia has an excuse culture like no other I have seen around the world when it comes to alcohol and 'I've only had a few'. And that line..of all the ones I have cruised seemed to attract them....for whom a cruise is an excuse to binge drink 'cos it's cheap'.

Its nice to see that cruise lines (may be with some pressure or bad publicity) want to stamp out this 'disease' of bad behaviour from spreading to them... :rolleyes:

Thats why it was nice on the Solstice....people having responsible fun (still with a drink) without making a tit of themselves......:D

Den

With due respect to you and not wishing to get into a debate.....that you 'know' of.....:rolleyes:

How often have I seen this statement....as if its use absolves people.

With respect, you have no idea whether people got up and left because you were loud ruining their evening. Or over friendly...or running off at the mouth..or whatever.

Unless you sat in your cabin and drunk...sober or drunk...everyone has an effect on those around them that would not have occurred if they had not been in that place.

And this is the issue with drunks...or any anti-social behaviour. Just because someone doesn't jump up on a table and sing does not mean that they have not impinged on someone....

I live in a nation of bogans for whom disrespecting other peoples space and making an ass of themselves (but it's never their fault it was 'the alcohol') has become a national sport.

Just because you choose to give them some kind of funny name -- does not make them any different form others in other countries. In the US , they call them Rednecks - in the UK, they are called Chavs.

I call them in all countries yobbos or yahoos. Australia in NOT a Nation of "bogans" in exactly the same way as the US is not a Nation of Rednecks.

Barry

Just because you choose to give them some kind of funny name -- does not make them any different form others in other countries. In the US , they call them Rednecks - in the UK, they are called Chavs.

I call them in all countries yobbos or yahoos. Australia in NOT a Nation of "bogans" in exactly the same way as the US is not a Nation of Rednecks.

Barry

I agree Barry, each country has its share of Bogans, Chavs and Rednecks.

I remember cruising on the Alexandr Puskin with family in the 80's.

We couldnt go for out morning swim and four young blokes decided to drag the piano from a bar up two flights of stairs and deposit it in the pool.

Their holiday was shorter than planned too.

I agree Barry, each country has its share of Bogans, Chavs and Rednecks.

Agreed. I don't know where 6andy6 "hangs out", but I don't encounter many in my life and I have varied interests. Come to that I haven't seen anyone excessively the worse for wear on any of my cruises. ;)

Now, laundry rage is something else. :D Two couples were put off my last Princess cruise -one man hit another over the head with his cane and the other retaliated with a punch in the face. (Before anyone feels moved to remark about cranky oldies, I don't know what ages they were, but there were several people of all ages with canes, walkers, and motorised scooters - quite an obstacle course in the buffet at times. :D ) I'm not complaining - it's great that disabled people can enjoy a holiday much more easily these days.

Now, laundry rage is something else. :D Two couples were put off my last Princess cruise -one man hit another over the head with his cane and the other retaliated with a punch in the face.

Now that would've been something! And all those people who complain about ships with no self-service laundry; just gets rid of one more potential source of conflict IM :D

With due respect to you and not wishing to get into a debate.....that you 'know' of.....:rolleyes:

How often have I seen this statement....as if its use absolves people.

With respect, you have no idea whether people got up and left because you were loud ruining their evening. Or over friendly...or running off at the mouth..or whatever.

Fair comment...

As an example, I was quite disgusted as ultimately two women started blowing chunks in the middle of the loyalty/future booking lounge on their plush carpet and leather sofas, while I was waiting, on my last VOS cruise in January. They sat there for a good 10 minutes and I didn't even realise what was going on, initially one was just bent over. Then one spewed, the other comforted her for a few minutes, the first spewed a bit more, then the second copied in sympathy.

Of course, they weren't disorderly in terms of throwing stuff overboard, or starting a fight. And straight after doing the damage, they scuttled off presumably to their cabin. Leaving a SERIOUSLY foul stench in the air, staining over the carpets and sofa. It smelt so bad I couldn't stand to hang around. And it was a foul mess for the staff to have to clean up... but hey, not their problem either!

But ask them afterwards and I wouldn't be surprised if their assessment would probably be like the above - they didn't bother anyone and just felt 'a bit worse for wear.'

Which is why I won't cruise P&O (anymore). I live in a nation of bogans for whom disrespecting other peoples space and making an ass of themselves (but it's never their fault it was 'the alcohol') has become a national sport. Despite what some people say....Australia has an excuse culture like no other I have seen around the world when it comes to alcohol and 'I've only had a few'. And that line..of all the ones I have cruised seemed to attract them....for whom a cruise is an excuse to binge drink 'cos it's cheap'.

Its nice to see that cruise lines (may be with some pressure or bad publicity) want to stamp out this 'disease' of bad behaviour from spreading to them... :rolleyes:

Thats why it was nice on the Solstice....people having responsible fun (still with a drink) without making a tit of themselves......:D

Mmmm.....I'm a little confused here. When Kiwi Kruzer said..."it happens all the time on P&O", wasn't he talking about the fact that people get thrown off because of drunken unruly behaviour? But you won't cruise P&O because of that??? That is one of the reasons I like P&O......because they don't put up with any crap from drunken unruly passengers.

Archived