Passenger booted of Rhapsody of the Seas

Mmmm.....I'm a little confused here. When Kiwi Kruzer said..."it happens all the time on P&O", wasn't he talking about the fact that people get thrown off because of drunken unruly behaviour? But you won't cruise P&O because of that??? That is one of the reasons I like P&O......because they don't put up with any crap from drunken unruly passengers.
That's how I read it too.

Which is why I won't cruise P&O (anymore). I live in a nation of bogans for whom disrespecting other peoples space and making an ass of themselves (but it's never their fault it was 'the alcohol') has become a national sport. Despite what some people say....Australia has an excuse culture like no other I have seen around the world when it comes to alcohol and 'I've only had a few'. And that line..of all the ones I have cruised seemed to attract them....for whom a cruise is an excuse to binge drink 'cos it's cheap'.

Its nice to see that cruise lines (may be with some pressure or bad publicity) want to stamp out this 'disease' of bad behaviour from spreading to them... :rolleyes:

Thats why it was nice on the Solstice....people having responsible fun (still with a drink) without making a tit of themselves......:D

I agree with you ... IME and IMO of any of the ships I have cruised on, I have seen more yobbo behaviour and more drunks on P&O than on other lines.

In fact the last time I was on P&O, we joined a couple of friends who had invited us and many others to join them. One in their group got so drunk he couldn't stand up and fell over a person at the bar and it was only then that the bar staff decided to implement RSA !!! Too late !!!

P&O may claim to have cleaned up their act and certainly there is a greater security presence since 2002, but IME, yobbos just don't get the message and now that there is some competition, the cheap prices for cruises seem to attract loutish behaviour like flies to honey.

Mmmm.....I'm a little confused here. When Kiwi Kruzer said..."it happens all the time on P&O", wasn't he talking about the fact that people get thrown off because of drunken unruly behaviour? But you won't cruise P&O because of that??? That is one of the reasons I like P&O......because they don't put up with any crap from drunken unruly passengers.

But the fact that they regularly disembark passengers means that a) the cruising clientele have not learned yet and still persist in drunken behaviour b) there would have been a fair bit of boozing and anti-social behaviour to get to the thrown off stage. By your post there must have been drunken and unruly passengers on board in the first place to manage to get thrown off :)

I'm with 6andy6 on this - P&O - no way.

But the fact that they regularly disembark passengers means that a) the cruising clientele have not learned yet and still persist in drunken behaviour b) there would have been a fair bit of boozing and anti-social behaviour to get to the thrown off stage. By your post there must have been drunken and unruly passengers on board in the first place to manage to get thrown off :)

Well -- of course there is always somebody doing the wrong thing - on all cruiselines. Mostly they are things that you and I never see - they are big ships with lots of passengers. The point is that , because of some past history that happened to P&O AUS, they now have a low tolerance to aberrant behaviour - otherwise known as "one strike and you are out".

As I said before I have never really seen much behaviour that worried me on any ships-- but then again I don't frequent bars and discos until late at night. But it is my perception that P&O security is a lot stricter than on other cruiseships we have been on. Their physical presence is more noticeable -- a bit like policemen on their rounds :) I like that !

Barry

Which is why I won't cruise P&O (anymore). I live in a nation of bogans for whom disrespecting other peoples space and making an ass of themselves (but it's never their fault it was 'the alcohol') has become a national sport. Despite what some people say....Australia has an excuse culture like no other I have seen around the world when it comes to alcohol and 'I've only had a few'. And that line..of all the ones I have cruised seemed to attract them....for whom a cruise is an excuse to binge drink 'cos it's cheap'.

Its nice to see that cruise lines (may be with some pressure or bad publicity) want to stamp out this 'disease' of bad behaviour from spreading to them... :rolleyes:

Thats why it was nice on the Solstice....people having responsible fun (still with a drink) without making a tit of themselves......:D

We've travelled from one end of the world to the other, and have enjoyed many fun nights with wonderful folks from all over the world. In fact, our most fun cruise ever was a barge cruise in Burgundy with 4 Aussies who ended up being very good friends. However, I've never seen any nation in the world make more excuses for bad and poor drunken behaviour than Australia including during our visit there last year. Not sure why, but it's not a positive attribute in my view.

On my most recent cruise on Celebrity Solstice I notice that they have uniformed security officers dressed up much like police with badges constantly walking aound the ship, doing the rounds and monitoring everything. Their presence was well known. It is obvious Celebrity takes their security very seriously. It was even the first ship I have been on that have public bathroom attendants in the evenings.

Pool deck chair rage hit our last cruise (Solstice). A lady took exception to having someone else in her deckchair (she had it for several days before and liked it so thought that she was entitled to it) so after a brief discussion with the current user, she threw the persons possessions off the ship when they went for swim. She and her partner were offloaded at the next port - Brisbane.

I do not know if alcohol was involved but this type of behaviour is not acceptable at anytime.:D

On my most recent cruise on Celebrity Solstice I notice that they have uniformed security officers dressed up much like police with badges constantly walking aound the ship, doing the rounds and monitoring everything. Their presence was well known. It is obvious Celebrity takes their security very seriously.

This is exactly what happens on P&O Australia ships. Security Officers, plus designated Youth Security Oficers, are constantly patrolling the ship, especially at night. They do not act in an overly officious manner, so as to spoil the stmosphere, but are always around. I feel very safe travelling on both P&O and Princess.

That is exactly how I understood the previous post. :)

Don't assume passengers are put off only for drunk and unruly behaviour. There can be all sorts of reasons - 'laundry rage' and sitting on the ship's rail, are a couple that come to mind.

Security and CCTV cameras seem to be more prevalent on P&O than on other cruise lines. I believe this was because of the unfortunate incident 10 or so years ago when a woman went (willingly) with a young man to his cabin in the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately there were drugs involved and there was a tragic result. We can't really have a "nanny state" where an adult can't go to someone else's cabin if he/she wants to, but P&O at least try to stop drugs being taken aboard. However, I rather doubt that they can stop it altogether. I know if crew are caught with drugs it is "One strike and you're out", and I think it is with passengers also.

This is exactly what happens on P&O Australia ships. Security Officers, plus designated Youth Security Oficers, are constantly patrolling the ship, especially at night. They do not act in an overly officious manner, so as to spoil the stmosphere, but are always around. I feel very safe travelling on both P&O and Princess.

You'll see them around RCL as well. I expect all the large lines have them nowadays.

I guess in the past that cruise lines haven't wanted to alarm people by seeing security staff dressed in uniform. But ships are like small crowded mini cities and people seem just a bit more impatient and crazier these days so maybe seeing a security uniform is now actually reassuring.

I'm not saying there isn't drunken behaviour on P&O ships, I'm saying they don't put up with the crap. I saw more unruly drunken behaviour on my Rhapsody cruise that I did on any of my P&O cruises and nothing was done about it. It doesn't matter who you cruise with, people are going to get drunk. It's how the cruise line deals with it that makes the difference.

Yes, they are everywhere. And on the odd occassion you don't see them, they are watching via the cameras. I remember on one of our cruises, we were docked somewhere and we were still on the ship. It was reasonably quiet by the pool and there some young boys "bombing" in the pool. No security guards to be seen. However, after the second "bomb", a security office appeared put of nowhere. He had been watching via the CCTV. The kids nearly **** themselves because they had no idea they were being watched.

Pool deck chair rage hit our last cruise (Solstice). A lady took exception to having someone else in her deckchair (she had it for several days before and liked it so thought that she was entitled to it) so after a brief discussion with the current user, she threw the persons possessions off the ship when they went for swim. She and her partner were offloaded at the next port - Brisbane.

I do not know if alcohol was involved but this type of behaviour is not acceptable at anytime.:D

Wow - she must have really have loved that deck chair! Glad to hear she was offloaded.

I have only done a 3 nighter on RCL but I can assure you, there was no sign of security.

I have cruised on the Rhapsody and the Radiance. Both had uniformed security on board though it was more noticeable on the Rhapsopy. Though there were a large percentage of passengers over 60 on the Radiance.

Pool deck chair rage hit our last cruise

Rage comes in a lot of forms.

On Princess , I once saw 2 elderly ladies ,

take to each other with their walking canes

over theatre seat rage.:eek:

Then of course theres the old laundry rage....

I was on cruise were 3 passengers were put off at the next port

after a dust up

over someones panties:eek:

Well -- of course there is always somebody doing the wrong thing - on all cruiselines. Mostly they are things that you and I never see - they are big ships with lots of passengers. The point is that , because of some past history that happened to P&O AUS, they now have a low tolerance to aberrant behaviour - otherwise known as "one strike and you are out".

As I said before I have never really seen much behaviour that worried me on any ships-- but then again I don't frequent bars and discos until late at night. But it is my perception that P&O security is a lot stricter than on other cruiseships we have been on. Their physical presence is more noticeable -- a bit like policemen on their rounds :) I like that !

Barry

Maybe I just don't like P&O Aus :)

Have never sailed on one of their ships but really have no desire to.

I will admit that they appear to have cleaned up their act over the past few years so my old prejudices are probably showing :D

Many people who sail on them do enjoy them.

Rage comes in a lot of forms.

On Princess , I once saw 2 elderly ladies ,

take to each other with their walking canes

over theatre seat rage.:eek:

Then of course theres the old laundry rage....

I was on cruise were 3 passengers were put off at the next port

after a dust up

over someones panties:eek:

I supppose someone got their knickers in a twist.:D

We had one passenger removed from Solstice on our Nov Singapore- Sydney cruise. He had been on the ship since Barcelona and had the drinks package and definitely was getting his monies worth. My husband actually knew him and when we first met him I though the was very under the weather. Well apparently he had been causing quite a few problems from day 1 but when he got caught wandering in the crew quarters.... That was it.... And he was offloaded in Darwin.:o

Good on RCI and I'm afraid it's the old story we hear over and over again on both our radio and see on TV that more and more Australian's are behaving badly due to their excessive alcohol consumption.

Just need to talk to the A & E departments at main city hospitals and they'll say it's alcohol that's the root of the problems they see, not even drugs.

Jill:(

Or is that we dont get to hear about other Nations behaving badly,?

I suppose it can happen on all ships - just remembered that we were told not to sit in a seat in the Commodore Club on QM2 (and the staff removed the seat) as an elderly passenger who had just flown from the UK to join the ship and was very "three sheets to the wind" had had something of a continence problem :eek: in the chair (oh dear). From what I heard he was not removed from the ship though.

Or is that we dont get to hear about other Nations behaving badly,?

You do if you don't just hang around the Aussie boards.

I suppose it can happen on all ships - just remembered that we were told not to sit in a seat in the Commodore Club on QM2 (and the staff removed the seat) as an elderly passenger who had just flown from the UK to join the ship and was very "three sheets to the wind" had had something of a continence problem :eek: in the chair (oh dear). From what I heard he was not removed from the ship though.

Yowsers. Imagine sitting in that. Gross.

Last year on Rhapsody there was an incident involving a couple in which a window was broken. It was after we left Isle of Pines, last port of call. The couple were confined in their cabin until Sydney, with food brought to their room & 24 hour guard on the slightly opened door.

On our 4 RC cruises we have seen uniformed security on a regular basis.

Archived