Want your opinion...do you like the changes Celebrity is making?

NEFoodies

Was on the Celebrity Silhouette from April 7th until April 14th (impressive live review Chris). My DH and I love the Celebrity line. We have sailed on the Zenith and Constellation (both ships now retired from the line), the Summit (multiple times), the Solstice and now the Silhouette. Before marrying, I tried Norwegian and Carnival and once experiencing Celebrity there was simply no going back.

We have loved Celebrity... the food, the decor (both those ships that have been Solsticized and those that have not), and most importantly the CREW. Celebrity is doing something very right in hiring and maintaining a very competent, seemingly content and very solicitous staff. We tend to go with Concierge class predominately because we like the midship positions. We enjoy relaxing on our Veranda, don't necessarily feel like we must get off of the ship while in port and use the Solarium or Thalasotherapy pool often. We did the premium drink package this last cruise and loved the convenience. We took advantage of all the specialty dining options and loved them all. We enjoy all kinds of music and thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment in the theater this last cruise.

So what is the issue you may ask. Well, it seems from both experience on this ship and discussion with Celebrity's Miami office upon return home, Celebrity intends to change the "vibe" of the ship to something edgier and trendier than it has been in the past. We are in our 40's and fully appreciate 80's rock but I don't know if it belongs in the Grand Foyer. At least four of the 7 nights on board there was very LOUD music being played in the Grand Foyer in the evening. This rendered the Library, Card Room, the I-Lounge, the Hideaway, Cafe al Bacio, etc. all uninhabitable during that time. DH and I are all for appealing to a wider audience to keep the brand healthy but why not use the outdoor pool area, the sky lounge and Quasar for this (note...these areas were also used but clearly not exclusively). That way you can choose to party or not.

When we spoke with the main office they indicated that they were responding to the requests of past guests. Perhaps we are alone in our opinion here. Would love to hear your thoughts. We have made some wonderful friends on Celebrity and see it as our cruise line. However, if it is really trying to reach a different audience perhaps we need to look around. Would welcome suggestions about that as well.

DH and I did book a Pacific Coast cruise on the Century in 2014 so we will give it another go but...we'll see.

Was on the Celebrity Silhouette from April 7th until April 14th (impressive live review Chris). My DH and I love the Celebrity line. We have sailed on the Zenith and Constellation (both ships now retired from the line),

Constellation is still in service, in drydock for some upgrades... well some changes...

Constellation is my favorite Celebrity Ship. She is still in service with Celebrity.

Does not sail the longer routes in Caribbean anymore. Sails from Miami on 4 and 5 day sails when in the Caribbean.

For me, it's not the choice of music, but the load music in the foyer which adversely impacts areas where you are not looking for load music, as the OP referenced.

We find alternatives and love the Solstice Class, and really looking forward to the Constellation after being Solstisized, and having our favorite pool, the T-Spa available.

Den

The problem is that sound really travels. When played in your neighbors yard they have it to where they can hear it but so can everyone in the neighborhood.

I don't like loud music but I enjoy music at a comfortable level.

On both of my latest X cruises the Martini bar was way too loud for a traditional Martini bar. It was deafening. I know many on this board may have a different opinion and liked it. Today when young people go into a bar they don't converse with each other because they would rather text. The other is when the music is loud it presents a great line to suggest leaving and go to a quieter place to get to know eachother. Plus many people don't have anything to converse about so loud music is a welcome.

I know not every bar will or has to meet my needs or wants but bars that don't have dance floors like the Martini bar don't have to be so loud. The band from the atrium would be sufficient without having a DJ banging on a electronic drum set up next to it.

I loved the loud 80s music in the foyer. I also love classical music, or orchestra music in the foyer. Loved the Euro-style technotronic music emanating from the martini bar too. We expected a fuddy duddyvibe and were pleasantly surprised at what a nightlife crowd we had this past week aboard the Equinox

The crowd was mainy age 50 to 65 years of age.

We are late 40 to mid 50s age group but very young at heart

When we spoke with the main office they indicated that they were responding to the requests of past guests.

My personal view is that they are listening to the guests they want to listen to. Edgier, younger, etc are terrific if there are enough passengers to fill the boats at a profit. My sense, and most demographic studies show that the growth area at this point is retirees, not 40-50 year olds entering the "savings years".

I understand the need to attract younger cruisers, but Celebrity is doing it in a way that is becoming potentially offensive to that growing demographic group, of which I'm a part. They don't seem to understand that you can provide different experiences on a ship....just an example is the more or less recent turning up of the music throughout the ship....instead of having a loud/lively martini bar and leaving other venues for conversation, etc. (the ships differ on how they have implemented this). The loud entertainment in the central atrium has increased...partially due to the design of the ships themselves and partially by design.

Food, IMHO, has definitely been cost reduced...more sauces to hide lesser quality....and there seems to be little focus on any consistency in seasoning across the ships. Blu which was wonderful when introduced has suffered as well with less somelliers (one on the Millennium for the entire room)..no way he could refill your wine glass...no one does it's dIY (at least you can DIY with reds...whites are trickier because the wine may not be near you) which isn't exactly an upscale dining experience. Waiters in the MDR are overstressed...no way they can give any sort of service handling more and more tables on each cruise, it seems. It's almost hard to order a drink if you are sitting around the pool...I like that they don't hustle drinks, but on the other hand I shouldn't have to get up and search for someone to order a drink either.

Celebrity has not shone in their marketing brilliance to date (IMHO) and this thrust to attract younger cruisers brings them into direct competition with their own RCL which seems like a very ill thought out corporate strategy....but Micheal Bayley gets the big bucks, not me.

Among the middle of the road cruise lines, I do prefer Celebrity, but the changes are making me think of cruising less and sailing on the next tier up, be it azamara or Oceania which purportedly has terrific food...and that's important to us when we spend my $'s. We are already changing to river cruises and land based travel.....because although we don't like to pack/unpack on trips, we are getting very bored with the Blu menus (we've been on 5 cruises in Aqua in the past 12 mos) and the food just wasn't up to par (much too much salt) on our recent 28 day B2B in Aqua on the Millennium.

My sense is that Celebrity either doesn't care about (generically) us or they just assume that we'll stay, no matter what they do. I think that's a poor approach to marketing....and it's doesn't seem to be working with us.

If the change in focus works and they can fill their ships with over 800,000 passengers a year who either don't care about the changes or like the changes, then Celebrity management has done a great job...thank you as a stockholder. If they are wrong, hopefully they will realize it and stop making those changes aimed at drawing a younger passenger set before they lose more like us.

GH

I knew that we would get varied opinions to our post. I appreciate GHStudio's comments. I think you may have a healthier pallate than DH and I with your interest in fewer sauces and Blu dining. However, we concur with your music comments. Please keep sharing. I just really want to know what the general consensus is and any recommendations for alternate cruise lines. Oceania is one we have considered, though it will mean perhaps cruising less.:(

Here we are with that "prized demographic" BS again. Just like TV execs, who only count the 18 to 45 year old demographic as being important, cruise lines are doing the same. Even lines like Crystal are changing things up, much to the chagrin of their long time supporters, in order to appear younger and hipper to attract the youngsters. Well guess what? It's us oldsters, the 50 and older group, that keep the cruise lines in business. Sure, they'll see a few more in that younger group, but those people won't keep the cruise lines making a profit. It's probably why we're seeing Celebrity turning more towards charter groups, which we have recently seen as a negative to long time Celebrity cruisers who are being bumped off their cruises to cater to these groups.

In order to appeal to everyone, and to make cruising affordable to everyone, they have to reduce costs. That means poorer cuts of meat, lower quality seafood, and inferior preparation and presentation. It also means less staff which translates into overworked staff, less wine stewards and waitstaff which then translates into poorer service. It's all a vicious cycle that will do nothing but continue downward.

As for the overly loud music, it's been a huge complaint of mine with the S Class ships. The designers made a huge mistake by not including a Rendezvous Lounge, so they had to provide a dance venue somewhere, and they decided to make the Grand Foyer their dance venue. Big mistake. The music goes all the way up to deck 14, which proves the music is way too loud.

But now, that Celebrity is hiking fares to insane levels, and that they seem to be deploying two ships almost permanently to Australia, it will be interesting to see how things go. The market will only take so much in terms of high fares, so I'll be interested in seeing how bookings are and whether Celebrity will cater even more to special interest groups and their charters.

I don't mind loud music. I often listen to my music at loud levels in the privacy of my own living room.

But I do agree that it would be a good idea to keep it confined on these cruise ships so that those who enjoy this music can do so without interfering with the other nearby areas of the ship that would otherwise be great places to relax and enjoy a drink and friendly conversation.

On our Reflection cruise late last year the music was so loud that all areas around the atrium were affected. There was no place to just relax, including all the great lounge areas surrounding the atrium on every level. It's a shame that some of us are forced to find less desirable areas to have some quiet time with friends. I equate it to the old days when some of us couldn't enjoy a bar or lounge because of all the smokers.

Now, it's all the loud music, which is just as intrusive, and possible just as much as a health issue due to potential damaged to hearing.

My personal view is that they are listening to the guests they want to listen to. Edgier, younger, etc are terrific if there are enough passengers to fill the boats at a profit. My sense, and most demographic studies show that the growth area at this point is retirees, not 40-50 year olds entering the "savings years".

I understand the need to attract younger cruisers, but Celebrity is doing it in a way that is becoming potentially offensive to that growing demographic group, of which I'm a part. They don't seem to understand that you can provide different experiences on a ship....just an example is the more or less recent turning up of the music throughout the ship....instead of having a loud/lively martini bar and leaving other venues for conversation, etc. (the ships differ on how they have implemented this). The loud entertainment in the central atrium has increased...partially due to the design of the ships themselves and partially by design.

Food, IMHO, has definitely been cost reduced...more sauces to hide lesser quality....and there seems to be little focus on any consistency in seasoning across the ships. Blu which was wonderful when introduced has suffered as well with less somelliers (one on the Millennium for the entire room)..no way he could refill your wine glass...no one does it's dIY (at least you can DIY with reds...whites are trickier because the wine may not be near you) which isn't exactly an upscale dining experience. Waiters in the MDR are overstressed...no way they can give any sort of service handling more and more tables on each cruise, it seems. It's almost hard to order a drink if you are sitting around the pool...I like that they don't hustle drinks, but on the other hand I shouldn't have to get up and search for someone to order a drink either.

Celebrity has not shone in their marketing brilliance to date (IMHO) and this thrust to attract younger cruisers brings them into direct competition with their own RCL which seems like a very ill thought out corporate strategy....but Micheal Bayley gets the big bucks, not me.

Among the middle of the road cruise lines, I do prefer Celebrity, but the changes are making me think of cruising less and sailing on the next tier up, be it azamara or Oceania which purportedly has terrific food...and that's important to us when we spend my $'s. We are already changing to river cruises and land based travel.....because although we don't like to pack/unpack on trips, we are getting very bored with the Blu menus (we've been on 5 cruises in Aqua in the past 12 mos) and the food just wasn't up to par (much too much salt) on our recent 28 day B2B in Aqua on the Millennium.

My sense is that Celebrity either doesn't care about (generically) us or they just assume that we'll stay, no matter what they do. I think that's a poor approach to marketing....and it's doesn't seem to be working with us.

If the change in focus works and they can fill their ships with over 800,000 passengers a year who either don't care about the changes or like the changes, then Celebrity management has done a great job...thank you as a stockholder. If they are wrong, hopefully they will realize it and stop making those changes aimed at drawing a younger passenger set before they lose more like us.

GH

I think you are spot on. Celebrity is listening to the "past guests" they want to. I would be shocked if the majority of past guests are requesting 'loud 80's music to be played in the grand foyer.

I am sure Celebrity has to change to address a younger demographic/generation vs their typical passenger of a decade ago or have less passengers. As we all know older people as a group become incapacitated or past away and stop sailing. Not everyone, but I am sure that is a trend they are having to address.

For me, if they migrate to a much younger demographic in their marketing/branding they have already weighed what I call the 'attrition' vs the gain from marketing to a younger demographic.

Having said the above, I can understand where Celebrity is and hope they can navigate this. For sure, Celebrity has changed in the years we have been sailing with them, some good, some bad.

Want your opinion...do you like the changes Celebrity is making?

No.

My personal view is that they are listening to the guests they want to listen to. ...

I understand the need to attract younger cruisers, but Celebrity is doing it in a way that is becoming potentially offensive to that growing demographic group, of which I'm a part. GH

I fear that Celebrity is leaving me. Only inertia has kept me from looking elsewhere for the experience that led me to try and stay with Celebrity for all these years.

I had the good fortune to attend the "Building Bridges" presentation by Celebrity executives on board Reflection in December. Not once was reference made to the frequent cruisers who actually fill the ships. It was all about the Modern Luxury crowd who will spend more than the frequent cruiser who has been there, done that, but enjoys the cruising experience. I was not impressed with the direction that was presented.

I suspect that somewhere in RCL Corporation, they think that the Celebrity customers who want a more upscale experience will migrate to Azamara. Unfortunately, we won't be part of that since they have excellent competition with far better reviews and far better personal recommendations from friends we trust. As I seem to say in every post these days, RCL Corporation is incredibly poor at communications and does nothing that any of us can see to build a "corporate brand" view. I guess if you're big enough (or think you are), it's not important....guests are just numbers. I hope that their marketing department has done some quality work in figuring out direction. From my perspective as a passenger, marketing just keeps shooting themselves in the foot....promotional email saying use "live chat", cruises on their web site with names like Ic Cruise, inconsistent web information that's been wrong for years....and how about the latest...the $50 OBC for your birthday that's not combinable with any other discount, OBC or promotion....they appear to be leaderless and completely out of touch with reality or they are incompetent...you pick the term and picking both is OK.

GH

We think alike.

Demographics do not sway to the 35-50 year old population. The majority of passengers we have spoken to do not like the horrendous volume problem throughout the ship. I do think you are right in presuming that Celebrity is listening to those guests they want to listen to. They can certainly profess that, but realistically there are many more who have had it with the music volume and have complained. I simply do not believe that they (celebrity) is receiving more kudos than complaints and most bartenders would agree. There has to be some kind of compromise to suit all guests but there seems to be none.

We have taken many land-based vacations and intend to take more instead of booking more cruises. Frankly with the music and the 40% increase in cost for 2014 cruises compared to 2013, it is time to either chance to a different line or concentrate solely on land based travel. These changes have come with the arrival of the new CEO. Time will tell if his strategies work but they surely haven't with us.

I am 60 and i really enjoy the music and entertainment in the atrium, Martini Bar, and the volume. It's not just the 30 somethings :-) I like the music, as well as the energy and vibe and life it engenders on the ship in the evening.

There are plenty of places to enjoy a drink if the Martini Bar is too loud for one's comfort, but few if any alternative places for those of us who like current sounds. I for one hope Celebrity continues to step up the options for those who enjoy contemporary entertainment, regardless of age. I also love the jazz groups at the ensemble lounge after dinner. There is a place for all types of entertainment. I respectfully submit that if we don't enjoy the music at one venue, stroll to another one that better fits our interests that evening. Sometimes I want loud rock or pop or hip hop, other times jazz and singers ... Celebrity is just trying to provide that mix, I think.

Maybe they are going after the younger baby boomers like my wife and I. Although, I prefer 70's classic rock.

Spot on - this is my understanding that they are trying to attract baby boomers and their older kids. I have not sailed Celebrity yet - cruising this July for 12 days in the Baltics for my 50th with Partner Roger and my 3 boys (16,16, & 20) and my mom 74. I personally like music but NOT loud and not in the foyer= my mom on the other hand would be up dancing.

I do not think any cruise line is going to make every customer happy but when you seem to be alienating a large population then something is not right.

Sharon

I'm another one that doesn't like loud music, I love music just not loud. On the hand my dh likes it loud since he can't hear well. ;)

But part of me thinks that RCCL/Celebrity are trying to be able to say - hey you don't want to go on a ship with an amusement park ship, then go on this classier one which is still a lot of fun.

I am in my early 30s. I thought the volume was appropriate, but at the wrong place. I was actually surprised that such events (i.e. dance events) were held at the Grand Foyer where sound could easily resonate to the library and Hideaway which are supposed to be quiet. I agree that they are probably better held at Quasar or Entertainment Court or Sky Lounge. Our cabin was right by the door leading to midship elevators/stairs and I was worried that the loud sound could be heard at our cabin. Thank goodness the sound proofing in the cabins were a little better.

I forgot to mention one more consideration about the changes in Music levels....If celebrity is trying to go after the 40-50 year old parents with relatively grown children, then one would expect that they understand that those folks aren't the passengers who book 14 day Antarctica cruises, 14 day Asian cruise and so on. The passenger make up of a 7 or even 10 day cruise in the Caribbean is very very different and that seems like a good place to focus on younger, upbeat cruises. But I would suggest that music levels should be different...very different on those longer cruises which by their very nature draw a more elderly passenger who has both the time and money to do those cruises. The current "one size fits all" "set the volumes here" directives that apparently have been issued by Celebrity HQ are starting to lose them potential (repeat) customers....the very one's that one never wants to lose.

But now, that Celebrity is hiking fares to insane levels, and that they seem to be deploying two ships almost permanently to Australia, it will be interesting to see how things go.

Few would call 3 months, and 6 months "almost permanently". Even across both ships, the total is still less than one year.

Here we are with that "prized demographic" BS again. Just like TV execs, who only count the 18 to 45 year old demographic as being important, cruise lines are doing the same. Even lines like Crystal are changing things up, much to the chagrin of their long time supporters, in order to appear younger and hipper to attract the youngsters. Well guess what? It's us oldsters, the 50 and older group, that keep the cruise lines in business. Sure, they'll see a few more in that younger group, but those people won't keep the cruise lines making a profit.

CHange is always hard. But the bottom line is the bottom line. And these are very smart people at Celebrity who know their bottom line better than anyone on here. If the "50 and older group" were making them enough profit, they wouldn't be making these changes. The other thing that Celebrity knows is that for those who are unhappy with the changes, they don't have many options to go to. Holland America is the only other line in the same price range that offers a similar product. Of course, their loyalists are complaining more than Celebrity passengers are with their changes. So, Celebrity knows they will keep the majority of their current passengers (even if they are less happy), but must expand their market into a younger demographic.

As for the changes, we will be sailing Celebrity for the first time this year, and the only reason we are is because of the changes they are making. They are directly marketing to our demographic (30's) and it worked. I hope they continue in this direction. They are carving out a very nice niche as being the Modern Luxury cruiseline. They are quickly becoming the "W" hotels of cruiseships, and that is a great plan imo.

The only objection I had to the nightly music in the Grand Foyer on Eclipse was the fact that the band was SO BAD! Individually, they seemed to be quite talented, but they were awful as a group. I had to wonder if they all just met for the first time a week before we sailed. It was actually hard to listen to them at times, and forced us to leave on more than one occasion:(

Archived