Want your opinion...do you like the changes Celebrity is making?

NEFoodies

Being my early 40's, it made my day to be referred to as a "youngster." However, I must be beyond my years because I don't like loud music. I like a variety of types of music, but get a headache if it is so loud that I have to shout over it to have a conversation.

No.

I fear that Celebrity is leaving me. Only inertia has kept me from looking elsewhere for the experience that led me to try and stay with Celebrity for all these years.

I had the good fortune to attend the "Building Bridges" presentation by Celebrity executives on board Reflection in December. Not once was reference made to the frequent cruisers who actually fill the ships. It was all about the Modern Luxury crowd who will spend more than the frequent cruiser who has been there, done that, but enjoys the cruising experience. I was not impressed with the direction that was presented.

And we could not agree more as we also became "lazy" about our choices of travel and cruising and perhaps that old adage that "familiarity breeds contempt" is true after all. We have three cruises with Celebrity in May and for the first time in ten years we will not book future cruises on board.

This is a personal choice and it only says something about us and it is exciting to be exercising and considering other options. We will not go to Australia with Celebrity as we thought and found a small group land tour that fits our needs. Also have found a river cruise in Europe this fall when we would have done the Med with Celebrity and then taken a TA home.

Celebrity has decided to place their emphasis elsewhere and so have we.

The bucket list changes and the wheels of the bus go round and round.

CHange is always hard. But the bottom line is the bottom line. And these are very smart people at Celebrity who know their bottom line better than anyone on here. If the "50 and older group" were making them enough profit, they wouldn't be making these changes. The other thing that Celebrity knows is that for those who are unhappy with the changes, they don't have many options to go to. Holland America is the only other line in the same price range that offers a similar product. Of course, their loyalists are complaining more than Celebrity passengers are with their changes. So, Celebrity knows they will keep the majority of their current passengers (even if they are less happy), but must expand their market into a younger demographic.

As for the changes, we will be sailing Celebrity for the first time this year, and the only reason we are is because of the changes they are making. They are directly marketing to our demographic (30's) and it worked. I hope they continue in this direction. They are carving out a very nice niche as being the Modern Luxury cruiseline. They are quickly becoming the "W" hotels of cruiseships, and that is a great plan imo.

Agree, The atrium area is packed during the entertaiment on all levels. Obviously lots of cruisers love it. And that same type of entertainment is occuring on other ships that have atriums. Just cruised Princess which was using the atrium for a balloon drop with loud music.

As long as there are other quieter areas to go to when the party is on, it is not a problem for us. Michaels and bar outside it were quiet spots on our S class cruise.

The only constant is change.

We noticed the increased volume as far back as 2011 on Silhouette. Of bigger concern to us are the comments about the continual decline of food quality. We have 2 cruises booked on X this fall with dining in Blu. Our last experience in the MDR was abysmal. X needs to step up it's game in the food department or they will find Oceania eating their lunch, literally and figuratively. It is the reason we have booked 2 Oceania cruises for 2014 and not Celebrity. Overwhelmingly positive reviews on their forum.

Appreciate this thread being started. Would like to point one other aspect of loud music. It can do damage to our hearing and we would not recognize that when the loud music is playing - just after - when it is too late. The Audiologist has pointed this out to me and suggests ear plugs. Just a thought.

We were on the third sailing of the Solstice, experienced the trends and changes Celebrity was making - the new demographics they were targeting - and have not been back since.. We had been regulars on Celebrity for over 20 years and yet found ourselves having a laundry list of items that were on the "not-so-good" side.. Mostly had to do with the impersonalized, generic feel of the ship, the food, the atmosphere, the experience itself.... Sort of like a new, "modern" resort that opens and tries to be everything to everybody.... but fails miserably in providing those special touches and nuances of character that sets it apart from everyone else.. When you cruised Celebrity you used to know EXACTLY what you were getting... it was going to be a truly special experience, in every way.

Ten-twenty years ago Celebrity was well-known and famous as a niche brand, specializing in providing food and service and ambiance that were second-to-none.. When they said, back then, that you'd be treated in a style of "luxury" (which they did)... it did not mean they charged 3x the amount and catered to the super-wealthy.. It simply meant that they provided exemplary service, food, and amenities which set it apart from the other mainstream lines.. Celebrity's identity was well-known and well regarded.. Rules were enforced.... actually they did not NEED to be enforced because the people who went on these cruises knew exactly what to expect - the atmosphere Celebrity strove to maintain, and actually WANTED to be a part of that.. They did not defy the rules, nor ignore them, nor try to get Celebrity to change for them.. Unfortunately, Celebrity HAS changed and has watered-down their standards to try to appeal to everybody, under the veil of being "modern" and "hip".... and that, I believe, will alienate a portion of their loyal customer-base and those of us who have valued their sense of tradition and individuality.

CHange is always hard. But the bottom line is the bottom line. And these are very smart people at Celebrity who know their bottom line better than anyone on here. If the "50 and older group" were making them enough profit, they wouldn't be making these changes. The other thing that Celebrity knows is that for those who are unhappy with the changes, they don't have many options to go to. Holland America is the only other line in the same price range that offers a similar product. Of course, their loyalists are complaining more than Celebrity passengers are with their changes. So, Celebrity knows they will keep the majority of their current passengers (even if they are less happy), but must expand their market into a younger demographic.

As for the changes, we will be sailing Celebrity for the first time this year, and the only reason we are is because of the changes they are making. They are directly marketing to our demographic (30's) and it worked. I hope they continue in this direction. They are carving out a very nice niche as being the Modern Luxury cruiseline. They are quickly becoming the "W" hotels of cruiseships, and that is a great plan imo.

Marketing "Experts" don't always get it right... Anyone remember "New Coke!" :D

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7209828/ns/us_news/t/it-seemed-good-idea-time/

Agree, The atrium area is packed during the entertaiment on all levels. Obviously lots of cruisers love it. And that same type of entertainment is occuring on other ships that have atriums. Just cruised Princess which was using the atrium for a balloon drop with loud music.

As long as there are other quieter areas to go to when the party is on, it is not a problem for us. Michaels and bar outside it were quiet spots on our S class cruise.

The only constant is change.

For the most part we enjoyed the band in the evenings in the atrium. It seemed to energize the martini bar in the evenings. The way that the atrium was crowded with onlookers on all levels when the band was playing was really festive and you could view from the railing people on all levels of the atrium, singing along and clapping to "The Love Train". Conversation was difficult, true, but we enjoyed the band for awhile and then moved on to The Rendezvous Lounge for the excellent jazz ensemble when we'd had enough.

We were on the third sailing of the Solstice, experienced the trends and changes Celebrity was making - the new demographics they were targeting - and have not been back since.. We had been regulars on Celebrity for over 20 years and yet found ourselves having a laundry list of items that were on the "not-so-good" side.. Mostly had to do with the impersonalized, generic feel of the ship, the food, the atmosphere, the experience itself.... Sort of like a new, "modern" resort that opens and tries to be everything to everybody.... but fails miserably in providing those special touches and nuances of character that sets it apart from everyone else.. When you cruised Celebrity you used to know EXACTLY what you were getting... it was going to be a truly special experience, in every way.

Ten-twenty years ago Celebrity was well-known and famous as a niche brand, specializing in providing food and service and ambiance that were second-to-none.. When they said, back then, that you'd be treated in a style of "luxury" (which they did)... it did not mean they charged 3x the amount and catered to the super-wealthy.. It simply meant that they provided exemplary service, food, and amenities which set it apart from the other mainstream lines.. Celebrity's identity was well-known and well regarded.. Rules were enforced.... actually they did not NEED to be enforced because the people who went on these cruises knew exactly what to expect - the atmosphere Celebrity strove to maintain, and actually WANTED to be a part of that.. They did not defy the rules, nor ignore them, nor try to get Celebrity to change for them.. Unfortunately, Celebrity HAS changed and has watered-down their standards to try to appeal to everybody, under the veil of being "modern" and "hip".... and that, I believe, will alienate a portion of their loyal customer-base and those of us who have valued their sense of tradition and individuality.

Great post! I first sailed on Horizon on voyage number ... 3! (I was 27 ... really!) At the time, my friends and I were blown away by the (really again !) revolutionary decor, food and ambiance. I really feel that Celebrity has (like RCI) become all about the hardware and not the software. As I have become older and my standards have crept upwards, Celebrity's (and most everyone else's for that matter) have drifted downwards. I really would love Celebrity's ships with Oceania's food. But, as someone else has stated, these are stupendous first world problems ....

Great post! I first sailed on Horizon on voyage number ... 3! (I was 27 ... really!) At the time, my friends and I were blown away by the (really again !) revolutionary decor, food and ambiance. I really feel that Celebrity has (like RCI) become all about the hardware and not the software. As I have become older and my standards have crept upwards, Celebrity's (and most everyone else's for that matter) have drifted downwards. I really would love Celebrity's ships with Oceania's food. But, as someone else has stated, these are stupendous first world problems ....

Thank you.. Celebrity just needs to recognize who makes up their core target passenger-base, and not compromise their values or shift away from their ideals which made them distinctive from all the other brands in the first place.

. . . I had the good fortune to attend the "Building Bridges" presentation by Celebrity executives on board Reflection in December. Not once was reference made to the frequent cruisers who actually fill the ships. It was all about the Modern Luxury crowd who will spend more than the frequent cruiser who has been there, done that, but enjoys the cruising experience. . . .
I fully understand that I am a big part of this problem.

On our last two cruises (one RCCI, one X) we had zero charges while on board. We cruise off season to get great fares. We cruise for the ports and like to spend our $$$ in port - lunch at a nice resturant and if we drink it is on shore to sample the local beer or wine. We rarely do the ship's excursions either doing our sight seeing on our own or contracting with a local guide. We don't gamble.

So I'm sure the holding company of RCCI/X just hears a big sucking noise of money making opportunities lost when we book!

I fear that Celebrity is leaving me. Only inertia has kept me from looking elsewhere for the experience that led me to try and stay with Celebrity for all these years.

I had the good fortune to attend the "Building Bridges" presentation by Celebrity executives on board Reflection in December. Not once was reference made to the frequent cruisers who actually fill the ships. It was all about the Modern Luxury crowd who will spend more than the frequent cruiser who has been there, done that, but enjoys the cruising experience. I was not impressed with the direction that was presented.

I fully understand that I am a big part of this problem.

On our last two cruises (one RCCI, one X) we had zero charges while on board. We cruise off season to get great fares. We cruise for the ports and like to spend our $$$ in port - lunch at a nice resturant and if we drink it is on shore to sample the local beer or wine. We rarely do the ship's excursions either doing our sight seeing on our own or contracting with a local guide. We don't gamble.

So I'm sure the holding company of RCCI/X just hears a big sucking noise of money making opportunities lost when we book!

I agree with both of you.

If you can get an Exec to open up he/she will tell you that they prefer the new cruiser much more than the “ultra” repeat passenger. The newcomer will spend lots of money on board. Yes the ‘ultra” repeat passenger fills the cabin but often doesn’t contribute to the expected revenue stream. (and on top of that - expects all kinds of free benefits)

M

Was on the Celebrity Silhouette from April 7th until April 14th (impressive live review Chris). My DH and I love the Celebrity line. We have sailed on the Zenith and Constellation (both ships now retired from the line), the Summit (multiple times), the Solstice and now the Silhouette. Before marrying, I tried Norwegian and Carnival and once experiencing Celebrity there was simply no going back.

We have loved Celebrity... the food, the decor (both those ships that have been Solsticized and those that have not), and most importantly the CREW. Celebrity is doing something very right in hiring and maintaining a very competent, seemingly content and very solicitous staff. We tend to go with Concierge class predominately because we like the midship positions. We enjoy relaxing on our Veranda, don't necessarily feel like we must get off of the ship while in port and use the Solarium or Thalasotherapy pool often. We did the premium drink package this last cruise and loved the convenience. We took advantage of all the specialty dining options and loved them all. We enjoy all kinds of music and thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment in the theater this last cruise.

So what is the issue you may ask. Well, it seems from both experience on this ship and discussion with Celebrity's Miami office upon return home, Celebrity intends to change the "vibe" of the ship to something edgier and trendier than it has been in the past. We are in our 40's and fully appreciate 80's rock but I don't know if it belongs in the Grand Foyer. At least four of the 7 nights on board there was very LOUD music being played in the Grand Foyer in the evening. This rendered the Library, Card Room, the I-Lounge, the Hideaway, Cafe al Bacio, etc. all uninhabitable during that time. DH and I are all for appealing to a wider audience to keep the brand healthy but why not use the outdoor pool area, the sky lounge and Quasar for this (note...these areas were also used but clearly not exclusively). That way you can choose to party or not.

When we spoke with the main office they indicated that they were responding to the requests of past guests. Perhaps we are alone in our opinion here. Would love to hear your thoughts. We have made some wonderful friends on Celebrity and see it as our cruise line. However, if it is really trying to reach a different audience perhaps we need to look around. Would welcome suggestions about that as well.

DH and I did book a Pacific Coast cruise on the Century in 2014 so we will give it another go but...we'll see.

Your post is spot on!

I could have written it myself!

It really tears me apart to realize that the Celebrity that I have grown to love in the past few years over many cruises is not the same. I have had the same discussions with the corporate office and was clearly made to feel that they do not care about our opinion as frequent cruisers. They are targeting a different demographic. When we came home from our TA on silhouette we cancelled our next cruise. We did have a conflict with a family event, but the new changes and the conversation with corporate made it an easy decision.

We all have discretion in how our vacation funds are spent. We made the decision to look around and focus on some land vacations. We have two planned ....and those probably would have been cruises.....had our last couple of cruises been better experiences. We may cruise again, but it won't be for awhile and probably not on Celebrity unless things change again. Azamara is a great line, but their prices have risen too high for us so it is not an option at this point, either.

I agree with both of you.

If you can get an Exec to open up he/she will tell you that they prefer the new cruiser much more than the “ultra” repeat passenger. The newcomer will spend lots of money on board. Yes the ‘ultra” repeat passenger fills the cabin but often doesn’t contribute to the expected revenue stream. (and on top of that - expects all kinds of free benefits)

M

That works on a Caribbean cruise.....doesn't work so well on a cruise to the antarctic, asia, south america, etc. My problem with this thrust is that it seems to be across the board rather than adjusting for passenger demographics. To me, that's just crazy (or ill thought out) marketing.

Great post. Have to agree with everything you have said.

As first time Celebrity cruisers and as a couple who dance you will find our opinion is in alignment with those complaining about the loud music but for a different reason. We very much enjoyed the music each night but it would have been much better for us if it was in a lounge instead of the grand foyer. The dancing area was too small and there was often traffic from people trying to get through the area. A nice lounge dedicated to a musical group and dancing for the evening would be great, far better than the foyer.

We had been concerned that we would not enjoy the Celebrity nightlife. But found the music each evening and ability to dance, although not exactly what we hoped for, worked quite well for us. As to demographics sorry but we are mid and late 50’s and in no way want to hang up the dancing shoes and play cards all night. Remember RCL is trying to up sell their customers to Celebrity. As our age group moves from Royal to Celebrity you will find Celebrity adding more “loud and vigorous” activities to the ships. We are looking for the service, food quality and decor of Celebrity but with a more active environment which we had on Royal. No we’re not looking for rock climbing, wave pools and the like but we do enjoy an active lifestyle. I hope they listen to both our opinions as we’d love to see a club dedicated to music with a nice size dance floor for us and removed from the Foyer to reduce the noise for those who do not like loud music. By the way like many of you we found the Jazz group to be much more to our liking for their music, ability to change pace and overall performance. The other group was pretty much loud and fast that seemed to be 90% of what they did, more of a party band.

One thing to note, especially for new cruisers who may be getting a bit anxious if they are reading this thread, is that the music some find too loud in the atrium isnt all night long. The band plays for dancing for a half hour a time, two or maybe three times during the evening.

Now you have me worried. We will be first time cruisers on Celebrity to Alaska (Solstice) then a few months later to the Greek Islands (Constellation). Prior to arranging the cruises I was enthused to try another cruise line that would provide a welcome change to the "bang/flash" of many of my Carnival experiences. Carnival has always been a good value for the money but I figured that Celebrity would be worth the additional expense due to its past reputation.

Now I am not so sure but I suppose we will find out soon enough. Since I already made arrangements for both cruises we are looking forward to visiting the ports but the on board experience will determine whether we continue with Celebrity. Loud music is great for discos but there needs to be some areas where you can have a drink and quiet conversation with pleasant background music as well as venues for music entertainment and areas devoid of music (library). I am also concerned that so many people are disappointed with the food service other than specialty restaurants.

I also checked the price of the cruises we are taking with the same cruises in 2014 and was surprised that the cost went up almost 60%.

If Celebrity is changing to a party atmosphere with a lower quality dining experience at a much higher cost I might as well save some money and go back to Carnival.

I hope that won't be the case.

Cheers!

Now you have me worried. We will be first time cruisers on Celebrity to Alaska (Solstice) then a few months later to the Greek Islands (Constellation). Prior to arranging the cruises I was enthused to try another cruise line that would provide a welcome change to the "bang/flash" of many of my Carnival experiences. Carnival has always been a good value for the money but I figured that Celebrity would be worth the additional expense due to its past reputation.

Now I am not so sure but I suppose we will find out soon enough. Since I already made arrangements for both cruises we are looking forward to visiting the ports but the on board experience will determine whether we continue with Celebrity. Loud music is great for discos but there needs to be some areas where you can have a drink and quiet conversation with pleasant background music as well as venues for music entertainment and areas devoid of music (library). I am also concerned that so many people are disappointed with the food service other than specialty restaurants.

I also checked the price of the cruises we are taking with the same cruises in 2014 and was surprised that the cost went up almost 60%.

If Celebrity is changing to a party atmosphere with a lower quality dining experience at a much higher cost I might as well save some money and go back to Carnival.

I hope that won't be the case.

Cheers!

Please don't worry, Celebrity and Carnival are very different cruise experiences and you will not feel you are on a Carnival ship.

We did 5 Celebrity cruises from Dec-March and thoroughly enjoyed them all. The food in both Blu and the MDR was very good, the staff outstanding, and I can only recall one evening when the music was annoying. The only place that had a "party atmosphere" was the Martini Bar, the most popular hang out on the ship.

Please, erase any thoughts from your mind that Celebrity is anything like Carnival, it is not.

we are fresh off our first X cruise.....between the 123 Go booze packages and music choices, we feel they are trying to lure in the younger party crowd......not quite for us, JMO!

Just off same cruise and we have many X cruises under our belt. If it were not for future one in Dec already booked it may have been our last. We certainly will not be doing a Caribbean ever again. The booze package was a contributor to some pretty bad behaviour and our room steward was not very good - this was the first time we did not tip extra. Hopefully the upcoming will redeem the X for us.

There are plenty of places on X ships for a quiet drink and conversation, with and without music. Please don't worry or let this conversation make you anxious. Many of us like the livelier Celebrity experience that is creeping in, regardless of age. The issue seems to be that some long-time cruisers liked things the way they were (at least regarding the music volume; some of the same people seem to be critical of the food as well) in the Martini Bar and have yet to settle into another venue on board that better suits them.

But I can tell you that a large number of people seem to love it, crowding the Martini Bar and Bacio to enjoy the music and dancing while having a drink or two.

The food in the MDR and speciality restaurants varies from sailing to sailing, but is always acceptable, it just varies like at our favorite land-based eateries. On Reflection last month it ws really good.

With 5 cruises in the last 3 years and two more booked, all on Celebrity, I find it very interesting that people are so critical sometimes, and wonder if they are as attentive to every detail about their local restaurants and bars or if it is something about the cruise experience.

I happen to like the livelier vibe in the evenings, but I sympathize with those who feel disaffected by the direction Celebrity is going in. I think change, especially changes in something we love and support, can be difficult.

We don't care for the increases in prices due to the 123 Go promotion . Apparently some cruises get a good deal ;but ,the large majority of cruise prices have incorporated the 123 Go promotions into the cruise price & then some.:(

Another issue with the 123 Go liquor pkg portion of that promotion is that X is encouraging drinking booze .What will happen when the first person goes over board because of excessive drinking & or the booze gets in the hands of under age people:eek:

Archived