LIVE from the Coral Princess - LA to FLL - 14 days - April 20 to May 4, 2013

Pia1913

Pia:

What can you tell us about the new locks and when they will be finished? I heard 2014. Any photos from Mike for us to view?

Thanks for your "Live". I'll be there in December for a 17 day holiday cruise from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale. Looking forward to seeing the new lock progress.

Tom:)

Pia: Thanks for all the reporting. Could you please check out the Wheelhouse.

How is the music for dancing. Were there many people dancing. We will board on

May 19. Will the group still be there then.

Thanks much for your help.

Greg

Pia:

What can you tell us about the new locks and when they will be finished? I heard 2014. Any photos from Mike for us to view?

Thanks for your "Live". I'll be there in December for a 17 day holiday cruise from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale. Looking forward to seeing the new lock progress.

In February of this year the Panama Canal Administrator stated mid 2015 for the start of commercial transits.

The Atlantic locks will be completed earlier in 2015 so it is possible that larger ships doing partial transits RT from FLL could start using the new locks earlier in the year. However, I doubt cruise lines would schedule ships a year in advance assuming that the locks will be done on time.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Pia:

They were originally shooting for Aug 2014, the 100th anniversary, the latest estimate is April 2015.

Here are a couple of shots from the Canal's construction cam. The first pic is of the construction of the new Pacific Locks just a little west of the present Miraflores Locks which are hidden by the hill in the background.

w80381.jpg

The next pic is of the construction of the new Atlantic Locks. Even though the present locks are near the construction, there is not much you can see from the ship of the construction of the new locks except for the cranes. The Atlantic Locks are expected to be completed ahead of the Pacific Locks.

avllbt.jpg

A very lazy day with nothing to do except look at the canal. Most of the time we were just not moving, and even though the weather looks beautiful it’s very very hot. You can only stay out there for short periods of time. My tolerance is a lot less than my husbands. I don’t mean to be blasé’, since this is a very interesting thing to see. However, when you’ve seen it about a dozen times, it gets less and less interesting.

Tom, you asked about canal expansion. According to what we have been told, expansion will be complete in 2014. At that time the waterway will double its capacity to handle the increasing demand of worldwide trade. When in 2014 this will occur, we don’t know. It has been said they would like it to coincide with the 100 year anniversary in August. And then it has been said that it would never happen in 2014. Who knows. :confused:

Greg: The only thing I can tell you about Wheelhouse music is that it’s a group named Argo Trio. We never walk into the Wheelhouse at night.

Forgot who asked about the price of Sauvignon Blanc. I looked at the menu and it is in fact $7.95. And the only one they offer is Nobilo which I will drink only if there’s no choice. (That means if they give it to me and I don’t pay for it ;)).

The canal photos are beautiful. They look better on screen than in person.

Nothing more to say. Until manana.

Forgot to mention that we have the secret door right outside our door. So far nobody has been out there except us. We will see what happens tomorrow when we actually go thru the canal. Too bad there is no seating.

Pia

Couple years ago we were on Emerald Princess - cabin E105 and we found a door one cabin over that took us out on covered deck. It was fabulous for taking photos. Is that the secret door?

Sounds like you are having ... yet ... another good cruise.:)

Hello. It’s early Tuesday morning on this last day of April and we will soon be arriving into HOT HOT HOT Cartagena, Colombia. I don’t ever recall a stop here when it wasn’t a scorcher. Please don’t expect me to wax eloquent about this port, because it’s my least favorite of all of them. Not just this cruise. Any cruise. Cartagena is old and dirty and I feel still dangerous. The jump in your face here way more than anywhere else. That being said, there is one shorex I like; the canoe tour through the mangrove tunnels with a short walking tour through the colonial town and a shopping visit to Las Bovedas. These are shops that were once dungeons. That’s it. The Colombian coffee you buy here is not like the commercials you see on TV. No El Exigente (Juan Valdez). Their coffees are not really blended and therefore quite bitter. We are only here from 8:00 to 1:30, so not sure if we will venture into the terminal at all. Mike already has his Cartagena polo, so nothing to look for on his part.

Good show last night. Ventriloquist Michael Ziegfeld performed well as did his two dummies. Or perhaps it was the dummies who performed well. Anyhow, I already said I liked the dummy shows, and this one kept us laughing for 40 minutes. We then had a late dinner at the HC. Not gonna’ tell you what Mike had, but mine was bok choy, mashed potatoes and wine. Good, huh? :)

On the front page of today’s Patter there’s a notice on alcohol policy. This is the first time I have seen this in print on this cruise. It says: “We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) on board for consumption.” I don’t know if beer is considered taboo, but I somehow doubt it.

The only thing happening this morning is the MUTS movie; The Devil Wears Prada. Again. Afternoon movie in the theater is Quartet and on MUTS; Parental Guidance. Also this afternoon is another Elevator Roulette and a port lecture on Aruba.

Tonight is the Captain’s Circle Cocktail Party and we have elected to attend the early one. It is not a formal night, though we did bring contingency clothes. In any event, we will get our 3rd place paperweight, our bottle of champagne and what I like most; another photo with the captain and the CC guy. Kyler, our great CC host, said there had been internal discussion about having this party on a casual night and it’s been working out well. I hope all the ship’s end up doing it, though we know on some cruises we don’t even come close to being in the top three.

The entertainment of the evening is the production show Dance, MUTS is showing Skyfall and there’s Disco and 70’s stuff in Universe. Not a whole lot of choices for us today, since we’ve already seen all three movies. Also, we lose another hour of sleep tonight and will be even with EST. These clock changes make me crazy.

Yes, Franky, the secret door is at the very front of the ship. I don’t know about Emerald deck on this ship, but Dolphin, Caribe and Baja have them.

Time to go.

I agree with you about Cartegena which even when cloudy the heat & humidity was terrible. :eek:

While walking through old town & taking photos of the city we didn't notice the many human 'statues' on the sidewalks. One thought we took his photo without paying him & suddenly sprung to life chasing us down & demanding payment. We explained we weren't taking his photo & after some time he gave up hounding us & became a 'statue' again. I've never experienced such aggressive behavior in any other city so just a word of caution in Cartegena.

We did enjoy visiting the fort on the hill where part of "Romancing the Stone" was filmed.

I agree with you about Cartegena which even when cloudy the heat & humidity was terrible. :eek:

While walking through old town & taking photos of the city we didn't notice the many human 'statues' on the sidewalks. One thought we took his photo without paying him & suddenly sprung to life chasing us down & demanding payment. We explained we weren't taking his photo & after some time he gave up hounding us & became a 'statue' again. I've never experienced such aggressive behavior in any other city so just a word of caution in Cartegena.

We did enjoy visiting the fort on the hill where part of "Romancing the Stone" was filmed.

On our first stop in Cartegena this January, we opted for the Spanish Galleon Harbor Cruise. The "Galleon" was anchored very close to the Island. Two-thirds of the deck was covered with canvas so we were out of the sun. It was January but, with a little breeze, we were quite comfortable on the two hour cruise. Just don't sit in the front row on the top deck unless you want to become part of the entertainment :eek: Edited by IECalCruiser

I agree with you about Cartegena which even when cloudy the heat & humidity was terrible.

While walking through old town & taking photos of the city we took his photo without paying him & suddenly sprung to life chasing us down & demanding payment. We explained we weren't taking his photo & after some time he gave up hounding us & became a 'statue' again. I've never experienced such aggressive behavior in any other city so just a word of caution in Cartegena.

That exact same thing happened to us!!!! :eek: Scared the heck out of me. I didn`t even realize they were there. We happened upon a lovely street view while trailing along behind our guide (ships tour). My husband went to take a photo of it, and this `thing`jumped up and started yelling. YIKES! Never did get the photo! LOL The funny thing is, had we realized, we probably would have given them something. We had no problem giving the lovely ladies in their traditional costumes photos to have our picture taken with them.

We just booked this same itinerary Pia is doing for next February. Still trying to decide what we will do in Cartagena. :confused:

Hi Pia, I've been gone for a few days and just caught up with your thread. Thanks so much for continuing to take us on your journey. I've enjoyed sharing your days with you. Looking forward to seeing you and Mike again in October! :p

I would have told him that in a photograph everyone is a statue .. LOL

We will be sailing in Sept and I am looking at excursions. Suggestions??? I am thinking the train/boat tour in Costa Rico and the harbor tour in Columbia. What do you think? Suggestions for Nicaragua and Cabo? We are both in our 70's .

Thanks in advanced.

Louise

End of another day and happy to say it was wonderful and relaxing. The only activity other than reading was mastication.

It is now almost 6 PM and time for dinner. We’ve just returned from the early party and forfeited the champagne for chocolate. The other number are: first place 1011 and 2nd place 886. I never tell you my numbers, so I’m not starting now.

Louise: I will give you some info tomorrow. Nicaragua was not on this cruise, but we have been there.

I've had too much wine, so now it's time for dinner.

We will be sailing in Sept and I am looking at excursions. Suggestions??? I am thinking the train/boat tour in Costa Rico and the harbor tour in Columbia. What do you think? Suggestions for Nicaragua and Cabo? We are both in our 70's .

Thanks in advanced.

Louise

Since Pia isn't going to tell you until tomorrow, I will give you my thoughts.

• On our recent Panama Canal cruise we did the Scenic Train Ride & River Cruise in Puntarenas and the Spanish Galleon Harbor Cruise in Cartagena. We felt we got a very good feel for Costa Rica on the ride to the river cruise and the train ride. We also saw a fair amount of wild life on the tour. On the harbor cruise we also saw much of the city during the two hour cruise. We were fortunate to have good tour guides on both tours.
  • On a Mexico cruise about six years ago we did a tour similar to the El Arco Cruise & Scenic Drive in Cabo. Had good views of El Arco from the boat and of the harbor and Cabo from the restaurant.
  • One of our companions on both cruises was mobility limited and these tours worked well for them.