LIVE from the Coral Princess - LA to FLL - 14 days - April 20 to May 4, 2013

Pia1913

Panama Canal Expansion Will Be Done By April 2015 - Six Months Late

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20130321150216726

Thanks for the link. Interesting editor's comment at the end of the story:

Editor's Comment: Let's see, they've been working on this thing for five years - since 2007 - and it's now 53% done. There are two years between now and April 2015. Does anyone think it's really going to be done by then? This "six month delay" story line was adopted quite some time ago, and it's the story they are going to be sticking with through the May 2014 elections. Once those are over, then the "truth" will become known. I've been reporting for a long time that this project is much further behind schedule than anyone is willing to admit in public.

Thanks for the link. Interesting editor's comment at the end of the story:

Editor's Comment: Let's see, they've been working on this thing for five years - since 2007 - and it's now 53% done. There are two years between now and April 2015. Does anyone think it's really going to be done by then? This "six month delay" story line was adopted quite some time ago, and it's the story they are going to be sticking with through the May 2014 elections. Once those are over, then the "truth" will become known. I've been reporting for a long time that this project is much further behind schedule than anyone is willing to admit in public.

They are working on the 90-90 rule of project schedules. The first 90% of any project takes 90% of the projected time. The reamining 10% takes the other 90% of the projected time

Hello again as we end another day at sea. Land awaits tomorrow as we reach Puntarenas, Costa Rica. As far as we’re concerned, unlimited sea days suit us well.

A bit of info. Last time I noticed, Princess transfers were $14 to FLL and $19 to MIA. This morning we received transfer forms for EZ check and I actually read it. The transfer prices have gone up to $19 and $25 respectively. The only airlines participating in the EZ Check program are:

FLL only: Jet Blue and Southwest

MIA and FLL: Air Tran, US Air, American, Delta and United (Continental)

It’s pretty funny to receive disembarkation forms when you’ve practically just started the cruise. But I guess they need to get their ducks in a row early.

The most traveled luncheon was wonderful as usual. Capt. Binetti is a very personable guy, so it was great being able to dine with him. Unfortunately not all people are created equal and our tablemates remain to be desired. For sure these folks will never be our BFF. My favorite wine was served (Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc) and so was my favorite food. By request. Yes, as some of you know it’s chicken and broccoli.

Afterwards we went to see the movie Hitchcock. Enjoyed it. Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren are wonderful actors.

Patty, we tried Pitch Perfect on a previous cruise. Didn't care for it.

Saying bye for now. See you in the morning and will tell you what we did tonight. Surprise! ;)

Hello again as we end another day at sea. Land awaits tomorrow as we reach Puntarenas, Costa Rica. As far as we’re concerned, unlimited sea days suit us well.

A bit of info. Last time I noticed, Princess transfers were $14 to FLL and $19 to MIA. This morning we received transfer forms for EZ check and I actually read it. The transfer prices have gone up to $19 and $25 respectively. The only airlines participating in the EZ Check program are:

FLL only: Jet Blue and Southwest

MIA and FLL: Air Tran, US Air, American, Delta and United (Continental)

It’s pretty funny to receive disembarkation forms when you’ve practically just started the cruise. But I guess they need to get their ducks in a row early.

The most traveled luncheon was wonderful as usual. Capt. Binetti is a very personable guy, so it was great being able to dine with him. Unfortunately not all people are created equal and our tablemates remain to be desired. For sure these folks will never be our BFF. My favorite wine was served (Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc) and so was my favorite food. By request. Yes, as some of you know it’s chicken and broccoli.

Afterwards we went to see the movie Hitchcock. Enjoyed it. Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren are wonderful actors.

Patty, we tried Pitch Perfect on a previous cruise. Didn't care for it.

Saying bye for now. See you in the morning and will tell you what we did tonight. Surprise! ;)

Pia;

Sounds like another good day. Someday way in the future, I hope to make it t a most traveled luncheon:D I also noted that transfer price increase recently. A couple of days ago I got our October transfers and saw that they had indeed went up to $25.00pp for our bus ride to Miami:(

Bob

They are working on the 90-90 rule of project schedules. The first 90% of any project takes 90% of the projected time. The reamining 10% takes the other 90% of the projected time

Shh.....don't be giving away all of the construction industry secrets.;)

Good morning from Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Inasmuch as we do the Panama Canal run quite frequently, we have visited this port many, many times. In fact, we were just here in November, and again in February. Costa Rica in general has been one of our favorites and we spent 3 weeks in this country a few years ago. There’s not much we haven’t done or seen. Just a small introduction:

Costa Rica was discovered by Columbus in 1502 and named Rich Coast, though Puntarenas was a little village until coffee production in the late 18th century transformed the Costa Rican economy. By the 1850’s, coffee had surpassed cacao, tobacco and sugar as the country’s number one export. Arenal is Costa Rica’s best known volcano which started erupting again (after being dormant for 400 years) in 1968. It has been resting again since 2010, but due to geothermal activity beneath Arenal, the area surrounding the volcano is home to a number of hot springs We visited this area and in fact stayed in a cute bungalow just beneath the volcano for two days. That was our one and only introduction to being monkeys; zip lining. Princess does offer a tour to this area, but it’s a long haul; 2 1/2 hours each way. The Poas volcano is a bit closer, and Princess also offers a shorex there. This is a great port with abundant choices.

I won’t bore you with places we stayed and things we saw, because most of them are not available to those on a cruise. A visit to a coffee plantation is always interesting, especially to those of us who have that specific addiction. I would also suggest the train ride and river cruise; 5 1/2 hours for very little money. We had planned to do the river rafting excursion, but had second thoughts about Mike being able to do paddling for two hours. I certainly wouldn’t go without him. So we will just stay aboard or if we can stand the heat get off and look at the vendors. Again. Temp today is expected to be in the 90’s with humidity to match.

Not much going on in the morning other than a short documentary on TV; Changing Seas: Alien Invaders and on MUTS, Dirty Dancing. I always liked that movie so if we can stand being outdoors, might see it again. Afternoon brings another short docu; Grannies on Safari: San Juan, and on MUTS, Mamma Mia.

Tonight’s offerings are a classical concert in Universe and the movie Argo in the theater. Just saw Argo last month, so don’t want to see it again. Classical concerts don’t turn us on either. MUTS only has a concert by Pink, since the Ultimate Deck Party starts at 9:00. That’s not on our agenda either. Looks like a quiet day and night for us, which is just fine. We’re also going to lose another hour of sleep. I will never get this clock thing right.

BTW, we went to see Motor City last night. Surprisingly, they have changed this show completely. Then again, we’ve been avoiding it for years, so perhaps the change happened a long time ago. :D

Over and out for now.

Finally had a chance to catch up, must be that time change you are battling with doing me in:p:D

I wonder why the ship is changing time back and forth so much when it's sea days?

Sounds like a good relaxing trip.

Just did this trip in reverse and the time changed a lot! When you cross into a different time zone, you have to change the clock. We changed time zones for one day, losing one hour because we went into Atlantic time zone, even though we weren't going to be at port for three days. I guess you can't just ignore them.

Pia,

I can't believe what I just read. Motor City. You actually went to see it.

Whenever you cruise with us, just the name Motor City sets you off.

Glad you went and enjoyed it.However, I know what you mean about that show(the older version). It is changed. I think that happened when all the shows got shortened to 30 minutes.

So glad you are enjoying your cruise.Lew and I are reading along .

G:D

Edited by san diego sue

Pia, I think you mentioned on another thread that you were in a minisuite OV. We are considering Coral C202 (minisuite window) on our 7 night Alaska Southbound this July 2013. We are on Sapphire Northbound prior to Coral. The minisuite OV is $200 more than a regular balcony. We do not mind motion and generally like forward cabins. I find the forward cabins quieter, less foot traffic, door slamming etc. Also I think the extra space would compensate for no balcony, but there is the scenic glacier cruising to consider. I am lucky to only have these tough decisions to keep me up at night :) and what ever we decide I know we will be happy. Saw a few pictures and the window looks bright and large enough.

Sandra (mom 51 yrs) and Kyle (11 yrs)

A hot day. A humid day. A quiet day. We tried going out.

Actually, we thought about going out. It was and still is brutally hot, and there’s really nothing out there for us. We have enough wine, we have enough snackies and we have enough Pepsi. We did watch that morning documentary about Changing Seas. Very interesting. We learned all about Lion Fish and the fact that they are predators. Went out for 3 seconds to see if we could tolerate watching the movie on MUTS. Uh uh. No go.

Our cabin is large, the sofa is comfy and so we spent the day indoors reading. And eating chocolate. Can only blame ourselves, since we bought it at Trader Joe’s. Sandra, we love this cabin, and you won't be sorry with it.

It’s now shortly after 4:00 and Mike wants to see Argo again. The first showing is at 5:30, so dinner tonight will be late. If at all.

Isn’t it amazing how I can put together so many sentences while saying nothing?

And since there is no more nothing, I will see you all tomorrow.

A hot day. A humid day. A quiet day. We tried going out.

Actually, we thought about going out. It was and still is brutally hot, and there’s really nothing out there for us. We have enough wine, we have enough snackies and we have enough Pepsi. We did watch that morning documentary about Changing Seas. Very interesting. We learned all about Lion Fish and the fact that they are predators. Went out for 3 seconds to see if we could tolerate watching the movie on MUTS. Uh uh. No go.

Our cabin is large, the sofa is comfy and so we spent the day indoors reading. And eating chocolate. Can only blame ourselves, since we bought it at Trader Joe’s. Sandra, we love this cabin, and you won't be sorry with it.

It’s now shortly after 4:00 and Mike wants to see Argo again. The first showing is at 5:30, so dinner tonight will be late. If at all.

Isn’t it amazing how I can put together so many sentences while saying nothing?

And since there is no more nothing, I will see you all tomorrow.

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz!!!