LIVE from the Coral Princess - LA to FLL - 14 days - April 20 to May 4, 2013

Pia1913

Saturday April 27th and the end of week number one. The Patter tells us the outside temperature will be over 90 today with sunny skies. Yesterday’s predictions were totally correct, so I wouldn’t doubt today’s. Yawn yawn again. I hate losing those hours, but usually the gym is pretty empty when that happens. We’ll see what today brings up there.

Went to see Argo again. Mike only remembered some of it; I remembered all of it. Did not make an attempt of do the Deck Party. Not my style. And for those who’d like to know, there is no longer any food or dessert served. Cutbacks prevail.

All kinds of stuff featured this morning such as: Port lecture- A Panama Canal for the 21st Century, another “hurry up it’s only 3 hours” $10 sale, a line dance class, an ice carving demo, How to look 10 years younger and Secrets to a Flatter Stomach. I need to tell you there is no or will there be any zumba this cruise. They do not have an instructor on board.

Afternoon offerings have lots of spa and jewelry stuff, but also the movie Silver Linings Playbook. This is a film we have wanted to see, so even though it conflicts with wine tasting, the movie wins. Besides which we don’t want or need any more shot glasses. MUTS is showing Pitch Perfect, there’s a lecture How to Manage the Changes in Your Life and Runway @Sea. One of the sales people asked me to participate, but I declined, since their clothes are not for me.

Tonight’s featured entertainment will be impressionist Joey Van in the theater, production show Tribute in Universe and The Words on MUTS. We’ve previously seen all three, so decision will be made at the last minute. And it’s formal night again which we will pass.

Tina: Can you believe it? Motor City? No, there is no longer a car and no motorcycles either. BTW, thought of you yesterday. HC had cajun spicy fries on the buffet. Yum! And last night was German night. So many choices for me all in one day.

Gotribe: Fun? Everything is fun. Doing nothing is even fun.

I would love to get more sleep, but then I'd feel guilty. So off to the gym and I'll see you later.

On formal nights when you say you do not participate does that mean you eat in the H.C.?

We do not dress up for formal night anymore either but we still go to the dining room for dinner. DH does not wear a suit just a dress shirt and pants and I can wear pretty much anything except for jeans of course :)

Tina: Can you believe it? Motor City? No, there is no longer a car and no motorcycles either. BTW, thought of you yesterday. HC had cajun spicy fries on the buffet. Yum! And last night was German night. So many choices for me all in one day.

Do Not tell me when they have onion rings. I still can see my plate with onion rings, fries and all the variety of veal they have in the HC.

Hope you have a fun day, Pia.

Since I'm into movies (but usually don't see them til they're on Netflix, DVD, or while on a cruise:)), the teen and I did go to see Silver Linings just about a month ago at an actual theater, but that was to cheer ourselves up after going to a memorial service for one of her friends. I was surprised to see the outside of one place I worked at (in the 80s) featured in Argo (I think our front door was in that shot.

Did Zumba for the first time on cruise in December, but it was the kinder, gentler type. Hubby was good and went to the gym for much of the two weeks.

They didn't have the food spread anymore on the Golden in December, but it's not like the Horizon Court wasn't just steps away (or the IC an elevator trip, either).

Send some of that sunshine to Vancouver Pia.Today dark although just after 9.00 AM looks like we are going back to our usual free showers day.

Remember those buffets on Island nights folks didnot use them alot feel food wasted.Thats probably another reason its been stopped.

Pia when I was in canal a few years ago we had a few of kind of large flies that nip flew in I got a dracula bite on my neck from one.Those kind of bugs seem to like me.;)

I agree with' Argo' one of the best movies I have watched this year.

Yes I could do with the flatten tummy lecture.There again someone said why should I bother at my age.;)

Edited by kruisey

That's what I was thinking, do they have shuttles?
Yes, they do. The pier in Puntarenas has a little rubber wheeled tourist train that takes you from the ship to the end of the pier. It's free and runs all day.

Jasperdo, since you are on line at the moment and the topic is Coral can I ask you if you have any pictures of the kid's clubs. I have gone through most your 800 or so pictures of Coral hosted on Flicker but not able to find the kids facilities. Did you by any chance take any? I have an 11 yr old son and we are sailing 14 days alaska this June. We have previously sailed the Island through the Panana Canal. thanks in advance Sandra

Jasperdo, since you are on line at the moment and the topic is Coral can I ask you if you have any pictures of the kid's clubs. I have gone through most your 800 or so pictures of Coral hosted on Flicker but not able to find the kids facilities. Did you by any chance take any? I have an 11 yr old son and we are sailing 14 days alaska this June. We have previously sailed the Island through the Panana Canal. thanks in advance Sandra
No, sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the kid's clubs. But I would think they would be very similar to the ones that are on the Island.

No, sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the kid's clubs. But I would think they would be very similar to the ones that are on the Island.

I agree that they would be similar, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were like. I am drawing a complete blank. Thank you just the same for your response.

Checking in again on this lovely Saturday afternoon, while the Coral Princess glides along towards Panama. I could swear we aren’t even moving; that’s how calm and smooth it is.

We just came back to the cabin after seeing Silver Linings Playbook. Loved it. Jennifer Lawrence is adorable besides being a good actress and Robert DiNiro………….??? What could be bad about Robert DiNiro? Then there's Bradley Cooper. Yum. :D

We haven’t yet decided what to do tonight; show only, impressionist only, or both. Probably not both and probably not the show.

Amazing Life: we are shorts/jeans and tee shirt people. So yes, not doing formal night means we eat at HC. Actually that's our usual place for all meals, except when we HAVE to go to the dining room.

See y'all tomorrow. Tina, not to worry. ;)

The only time photos would be allowed to be shot of the kids' area is on the first day, and that's if there are no kids in there. I remember when we were going to take a photo of our own daughter at play in there (on the Island), and we were told it's a no no (they can't risk photos being taken of any other kids). I did take a few photos of the outside and inside of the Remix on the Golden back in 2010, but I don't know if that's similar to the teen center on the Island/Coral ships.

Did you know that the Coral Princess was the first ship christened while sailing through the Panama Canal?

Good Morning folks as we anchor off of Fuerte Amador; our tender port at the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal. The Panama Canal opened in 1914; August 15th to be exact. The first vessel to pass through the canal was the cargo ship Ancon. I kind of thought Princess might have a ship going thru next year on the 100th anniversary, but the schedule doesn’t show any canal cruise in August at all. I suppose August is not a favorable month.

Fuerte Amador is a man made peninsula connecting four small islands and is only a 20 minute taxi ride to Panama City. Panama City itself is quite unique inasmuch as most of the residential streets have no name or three different ones. Residents have post office boxes only, since Panama City never developed a postal delivery system.

So what are we going to do today? Not much. We will tender ashore, look at the same shops we looked at the last time we were here and buy the same things (nada) that we purchased on our previous encounter. What is interesting in this port and which we have done in the past, is a visit to the Embera Indian Village and a train ride; preferably the one with the dome car. There’s also a cruise through the Gatun Lake. Mike says we did it; I don’t recall. Sometimes we do so much and so often, that only the real spectacular highlights are retained.

As for recall, too bad I didn’t remember how bad last night’s “performer” Joey Van was. At least this time we sat in the last row and were able to make a speedy getaway. Passengers started leaving almost immediately. We gave him 13 minutes.

Not a whole lot going on today. Day or night. Morning has Overboard on MUTS. Afternoon movie on MUTS is The Words and movie in the theater is Zero Dark Thirty. Tonight too is sparse. There’s a magician in the theater and Parental Guidance on MUTS. Explorer’s is featuring several game shows and Universe has one showing (and it’s less than an hour), of documentary A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama.

Forgot to mention that we have the secret door right outside our door. So far nobody has been out there except us. We will see what happens tomorrow when we actually go thru the canal. Too bad there is no seating.

To you folks who are discussing the kid’s facilities, please be advised that on this cruise there are no kids . Zero. Of any age.

Time to go. Later

Hi Pia, We got home yesterday from Salt Lake City and discovered our hot water heater went out a few hours before we arrived. So, today, you know what we will be doing. Wish we were on there with you! It sounds like you are having a great time. Hi to Mike! :D

WHAT WE DID TODAY

Exactly what I said we’d do. Tender off into the miserable heat, walk to the stores, buy nothing, and tender back. It was a job just getting into the tender; going worse than coming back. That boat was like a Mexican jumping bean.

Had a burger and fries for lunch. First time this cruise. It’s a real pain to get them since the Grill is on deck 15 and the only way up there is on the outside stairs. And it’s not easy coming back down those stairs carrying lunch for two.

You know, it’s a darn good thing we cruise so often. Otherwise we’d never see any movies. Yes, saw the 2 ½ hour Zero Dark Thirty. I didn’t think I could sit through it, but it definitely had enough action to keep me pinned to my seat.

There's a big black cloud overhead right now. Could be some rain ahead.

Hi Meredith. Happened to us about 12 years ago, but thankfully we were home at the time.

OK. Enough banal chatter for now. See you tomorrow.

Hi Pia - I have been following your posts and I'm getting a little worried about whether or not we'll enjoy ourselves (we leave from Fort Lauderdale on May 4th) - lol. You don't seem to be having a very good time apart from the movies! Appreciate the critiques on the live shows though - they are not my forte anyway. How is the food?

Hi Pia - I have been following your posts and I'm getting a little worried about whether or not we'll enjoy ourselves (we leave from Fort Lauderdale on May 4th) - lol. You don't seem to be having a very good time apart from the movies! Appreciate the critiques on the live shows though - they are not my forte anyway. How is the food?

I'm sure Pia will answer herself, but I think I'm safe to assure you that Pia and Mike are enjoying themselves very much. Their days are not jam-packed with activities or tours, as there are very few cruises that they haven't done - a couple of times!

Her "Live From" posts are simply a snapshot of HER day. Rest assured that there are numerous other passengers rushing around, fitting all the activities into their day that they can manage. Everyone's cruise experience is different. I'm sure you will enjoy yours as long as you keep your mind open and positive! :)