Would you buy jewelry on a Carnival Ship?

Yes...but I bought it because I liked it, not for the deal (box set of Honora Pearls).

Based on what I've seen on similar sets, the set was about fifty bucks cheaper than straight retail, but more expensive than I might spend on eBay...if I could ever find the exact match of the set that I fell in love with.

Good luck if there's a problem. You won't be dealing with Carnival, but an independent contractor, even with the so called Carnival Guarantee. I'd rather deal with an established jeweler. There's plenty in the islands, and most have service centers in the states. It ALWAYS pays to do your homework first before you begin seriously shopping.

FYI....You are "supposed" to declare all your purchases to Customs. Whether you do or not, that's up to you. Carnival gift shops WILL declare your purchase to Customs, and have your name on a list when you disembark......just to keep you honest.;)

Edited by satbeachbill

Don't EVER buy gold by the inch on a ship. Every mall in America has someone selling that stuff and when (not if) you need it replaced, it's local and much less of a hassle. :)

I'm planning on buying a Citizen watch on my next cruise. They were much cheaper on the ship than I've been able to find them online, by a good amount.

I buy an Eco drive almost every cruise 40% off retail plus no tax .Always an awesome deal

Has anyone bought jewelry (like diamond rings) on a Carnival Ship? I am wondering how reputable they are and if prices are much better. Thanks so much!

I bought my wifes engagement ring on a ship, by far not a bargain.She loved it but they dont have many quality(or larger) diamonds

the quality of the jewellery on board is very good, both watches and gem stones. Especially with stones its not just price its the quality that determines real value and on that basis I would say the on board prices are very good, especially when you factor in the tax savings.

There maybe better deals at some ports but certainly much better than retail purchase in Canada.

Yes, those living in bigger cities with "diamond" centres may get better deals, but for those of us living in a rural area or smaller centres, the price and value are very good on Carnival.

Check prices at home for Eco Drive Citizen watches.

When Kohl's has them on sale, combined with a 30%off coupon the price will be cheaper.

But there is a much better selection on the ship and how often do you get that 30% coupon?

Bought several Citizens onboard and haven't had a problem. Bought one at Macy's and it stopped working after a few years.:rolleyes:

Several years ago Carnival was selling cheap jewelry sets for $10. They were 'Made in Chain'.:p

Edited by SadieN

NO - my daughter bought a $50 ring...one of the stones came out the next day...luckily we were still on the ship and she was able to return it. She replaced it with another ring...same thing happened, only this time we were home. :(

I buy an Eco drive almost every cruise 40% off retail plus no tax .Always an awesome deal

My husband does as well. Never bought jewelry, but he's gotten great deals with watches.

I'm planning on buying a Citizen watch on my next cruise. They were much cheaper on the ship than I've been able to find them online, by a good amount.

I bought a Citizen Eco Drive on the Glory back in 2006. It is still going strong. I did a lot of research before the cruise and the ship price was about $40 cheaper than the best sale price I could find at the time.

I purchased the "Pandora" like bracelet for several cruise mates celebrating birthdays during the cruise, along with buying myself a watch (birthday gift also). The watch was one that I had been looking at at home, and had been out of stock at my usual brick and mortar and online stores. The price was similar to what I would have paid in the US, so I purchased it, and haven't had a problem yet. I'm not into gold chains, bracelets or rings for myself, so I wouldn't purchase any of those from the ship, or while visiting a port of call.

I won't buy jewelry on the ship or at any of the ports. I've found that everything is generally cheaper either on sale in the US or online.

I wanted to buy cosmetics on our last cruise. Supposedly there were some great deals (at least the internet and sales people on board claimed so). What I did find, was that the cosmetics being sold cost more than what you'd pay at Sephora by $5-$10 for an eyeshadow quad.

We looked at cameras and laptops as well. You can get them for less money at your local best buy.

If there's something in particular that you're looking for, check for it online. You might find a deal. I live near an outlet mall and we have handbag stores, watch stores, sunglasses, etc. where you can find some pretty good deals. I bought a Fossil watch for $20 at our outlet and I bought a large Coach bag for $80.

Stay away from the inch of gold sale usually held just outside the door of the ship store. If you buy it, plan on just viewing it in a glass cabinet and then you won't have any problems. If you plan on wearing it, make sure all your accessories are green.

The cruise newbees go crazy over it (as we once did many cruises ago) and it really sells. Now my wife just winks and smiles to me as we watch the sales of the gleaming, .00000000001 genuine gold bracelets. Hey but what the heck! That is just part of the cruising experience. It's the flat iron steak of jewelry.