Roll Call Etiquette - What Would You Do?

sail7seas

Please forgive my ignorance. What does that mean? :confused:

Mumsy.

This has probably already been answered...we have been out today...but it's her work husband and he is gay....my work husband was not gay...but a bit younger than me....we are still friends although we are both retired...so he is no longer my work husband:D

Someone who was there for you..no matter what...if you needed a 20 or more you went to him...if you needed to vent..you went to him...he is the one who would call before work...and say...going thru McDonald's what do you want...or if you needed a hug after a horrid day...you could get one:):):)

I also add my screen name to the list of men who have hosted and organized Roll Calls and M&G's.

Have done so with 85% of our cruises. Though I do admit I'm enjoying a break on our next two bookings.

Hosting can entail a lot of time and at times can be quite frustrating.

You end up playing a Ricky Nelson oldie quite often. "Went To A Garden Party" meaning "You Can't Please Everyone So Sometimes You Just Have To Please Yourself.":D

So very true!!

It took me a while to stop trying to kill the bug. It's fun if no one ever saw it before. I am laughing at myself.Have fun.

I have meet people at M&G that I have remained friends for years.We did lots of things on the cruise together and seperately. There are people in this world that just want to be nice and inclusive. If I did a M&G and was going to give presents I would have had something for everyone that was on Roll Call and a few extra , just in case.

I also add my screen name to the list of men who have hosted and organized Roll Calls and M&G's.

Have done so with 85% of our cruises. Though I do admit I'm enjoying a break on our next two bookings.

Hosting can entail a lot of time and at times can be quite frustrating.

You end up playing a Ricky Nelson oldie quite often. "Went To A Garden Party" meaning "You Can't Please Everyone So Sometimes You Just Have To Please Yourself.":D

I believe you have nothing to feel bad about. If she had not wanted you to attend and partake in accepting a gift she would not have asked you. This is just an example of someone extending themselves and the only thing you need to do is "pass it on".

Completely agree! She wouldn't have invited you or given you a gift if she didn't want to and didn't have "extras."

I agree! We too are young (28) and have cruised HAL a number of times. I am always involved in the roll call, but do not attend the meet & greet. We too like our own space and I have met a number of cc'ers just walking around the ship and on various excursions. I enjoy meeting these people and have fun chatting with them here and there on the cruise, but I am not into meet & greets. I usually make it pretty clear on the roll call how to spot me and welcome people to say hello if they see me around.

I agree with you 100%, except we are the opposite of young, we are 65 and 60. My DH (60) is has no interest, at all, in the roll call, meet and greet, cc, etc. He does talk to other cruisers and has meet some very interesting people that he has really enjoyed meeting. But only does this on his terms. He really dislikes "forced social events". I like chatting with people we are going to sail with, and I like the meet and greet that is usually arranged right after the life boat drill, but only to level of stopping by to say hello, sit and have a drink and then move on. I do not like the arranged meet and greet in the morning and never go. I too enjoy saying hello and chatting with them if we meet going about the ship. But I am just not very interested in 'the social events'. My husband and I are usually very low key cruisers, we ALWAYS dine at a table for 2 and when not ashore, we are usually strolling the ship, or quietly reading somewhere. We LOVE the peace, quiet and the sea.

Dreamy...

So... We had a heck of a roll call once. I can't describe it too vividly for fear of flashbacks and/or roll call members chiming in. Noordam. 1/07. We had the Table of Dysfunction (mine) full of roll call members that was invited to eat with the newly minted, in-the-midst-of-hazing-process officer. Awk-ward! We had the Bad Marriage, the Lurkers ("NO ICE!" "NO PICTURES" "LOW SODIUM!"), the Piano Bar Jealousy Drinking Whatever Happened To Baby Jane Torch Song Tempestuous member.... The Handsome Gays (the only friends I still have from that cruise and whom I adore)... The Elderlies.... The Always Cross People... But our table really won every prize there was to win. If you show up twenty minutes into dinner service, throw a menu at your husband and stomp off to join your new "friends" at the piano bar, singing loudly and wobbling on your heels, leaving everyone else to discuss shore excursion plans with your ashen spouse, honey, you WIN the roll call prize.

Everything else since then has been a come down. I've organized about five of them in the belief that it will make me some kind of celebrity on board and I might get some free strawberries in my cabin (think: free strawberries. On a cruise ship). Never again. Ever ever. They are so boring. I'll go to them for sure but I won't organize.

I agree with you 100%, except we are the opposite of young, we are 65 and 60. My DH (60) is has no interest, at all, in the roll call, meet and greet, cc, etc. He does talk to other cruisers and has meet some very interesting people that he has really enjoyed meeting. But only does this on his terms. He really dislikes "forced social events". I like chatting with people we are going to sail with, and I like the meet and greet that is usually arranged right after the life boat drill, but only to level of stopping by to say hello, sit and have a drink and then move on. I do not like the arranged meet and greet in the morning and never go. I too enjoy saying hello and chatting with them if we meet going about the ship. But I am just not very interested in 'the social events'. My husband and I are usually very low key cruisers, we ALWAYS dine at a table for 2 and when not ashore, we are usually strolling the ship, or quietly reading somewhere. We LOVE the peace, quiet and the sea.

Ditto!!!

Ditto.

Yes. Both of you did the gracious thing, inviting and accepting. Nothing to feel guilty about.

Meet and Greets can really vary. When there is an active roll call, you may need to get in contact with someone who is running a tour. Others are painful as everyone just sits there and no one gets up and has everyone introduce themselves, etc. That's when we leave, lol.

I like the bug :) it sort of grows on you

Edit: I always wonder why they call a particular type of Volkswagen a bug. It doesn't really look like one? Not that this has anything to do with anything I guess.

1. How come men never organize meet and greets? Heh heh, as if....:p

2. Please, do me a favor and describe, for my amusement, a meet and greet game. Please. :D

I have also organized 3 or 4 Meet and Greets. They have all been well attended. On the last, Zaandam to Hawaii, I had 20 people indicate that they were going to show up. In total I believe it was 35 that actually showed up. There were still cookies left at the end.

Rich

1. How come men never organize meet and greets? Heh heh, as if....:p

I believe Retired Mustage has organized Meet and Greets.

Yes he has. We were on a collector's cruise together and he organized one of the meetings and I organized the other.

I always sign into the roll call and give any advise I can from my experiences but I rarely go to the M&G, usually forget about it until too late. Have gone to a few that were pleasant but usually it's just me and DH on our own.

Roll call vs. Meet and Greet:

Roll call can be extremely helpful, even beyond the excursion recommendations*. It's not just a pleasant way to pass the time and a more personal way to ask and answer questions. When my Caribbean Princess cruise was the last ship to sail out of NYC before Hurricane Irene, the roll call was absolutely essential. If not for the roll call- people would have missed the ship.

Examples:

1. The ship left four hours early.

2. Cruise terminal parking was in Flood Zone A: closed

3. Someone found a nearby hotel with a cruise and park package the night before that many of us used.

4. People "in the know" said the airports would be closed the day before- long before the official announcement (with proper caveats).

5. For some reason Mickey Arison responded to all of my tweets and I was able to tell everyone things- I still have the tweets- at that time ships were being re routed to Boston, leaving NY on Monday- all kinds of things. How would we ever have known we were leaving at 1pm on Saturday without the Roll Call to disseminate the info from the tweets? NO OFFICIAL WORD until too late to do anything, considering martial law was supposedly in effect.

Meet and Greet is a great way to say hello and personalize a few of the 2500 people on board with you. "I saw Vermont Mustache Guy getting coffee" "interesting". "Hey, your friend with the twins said she hopes you're not missing the dog too much" "Really! Where is she!" That kind of thing. It's nice. A week alone with the spouse can be a few days too much. It's nice to have the friends you've made on CC.

The actual Meet and Greet is usually brutally boring and always too close to Sailaway or early tanning time.

The reason the roll call never has any of the long term CC posters is because people are diverted immediately to the roll call when they post a sailing-specific question and because FACE IT, we've survived on here because we can take sometimes vicious attacks. I hear that all the time on board. Not everyone can handle the general CC rough and tumble, genteel though it may seem on the HAL forum.

*not referring to excursion hustling, just normal people looking to share.

I almost never even look to see if there is a roll call for our cruises so, No, I am not curious to meet people that I've never heard of. If you don't read the Roll Call, no names ring a bell or call out 'for meeting'.

When I used to read the Roll Calls, I almost never saw names from here on the main board posting there.

There seem to many who take what they can on Roll Call but don't contribute to the main forum for the cruise line. That, of course, is fine and all should do exactly as they wish in that regard but there is often no familiarlarity on the Roll Call board.

You are so right about many or even most rollcall people do not participate on these boards. I don't read all the posts here, but I do read the ones that interest me. I have learned a lot on these boards. I am using what I learned about insurance here for buying my own insurance for a land tour--and saving $$$ and getting better coverage.

Everyone is different. I know lots of people who cruise , but have no interest in CC, let alone a rollcall!

I like the bug :) it sort of grows on you

Edit: I always wonder why they call a particular type of Volkswagen a bug. It doesn't really look like one? Not that this has anything to do with anything I guess.

Volkswagen Beetle = Volkswagen Bug. ;)

280px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg

Maybe someone can explain this to me? There are CC posters with 4 & 5 figure posts on this board who do the roll call for their cruise, talk about their families, their work and everything else that goes on in their lives, but can't spend one hour at a meet & greet on the ship to put faces to the posters in the roll call. I can understand someone with a only a handful of posts feeling out of place but some of you post several times a day and refuse to go to a M & G. I just don't get it.

[B]Maybe they want alone time with their DH/DW/Partner/Friend....
Maybe they don't want to make new 'real life' friends on the ship?
Maybe they want to remain private?
Maybe they like the anonymity?
Maybe they got busy doing other things and forgot?
Who knows their reasons but they are entitled to them.
They really don't need to explain IMO

[/B]

[quote name='monina01']I like the bug :) it sort of grows on you

Edit: I always wonder why they call a particular type of Volkswagen a bug. It doesn't really look like one? Not that this has anything to do with anything I guess.[/quote]

[quote name='Boytjie']Volkswagen Beetle = Volkswagen Bug. ;)
[/QUOTE]
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg/280px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Also known in Dutch as 'kever' which means..............'beetle' [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Sail, I absolutely agree. I've only been on CC for one Collector's cruise, and we did attend the M&G's, and will do the same for the next 2, where we have joined the roll call. That said, I don't know if I will join roll calls again, it depends. We like to do our own thing, so unless I saw a private tour being arranged that I really wanted to join in on, I think I might back away. Everyone wants to do their own thing, and I'd prefer to organize for just the 2 of us. It is really great that there are people who are willing to go to a lot of trouble for people they don't even know, and everyone was very friendly, and we could wander through the ship and recognize people much sooner than we would have if we had been on our own, but we didn't all like the same things or do them at the same time! I don't think we were ever at the same table (open seating) as anyone we met at the M&G!

Archived