Does anyone work just so they can cruise?

celebrity

Funny thing to say, considering my co-workers know for sure I only work to pay for my cruis addiction! I would like to retire in December, but won't unless I lock in a PT job that provides enough additional money and time off for cruising!

Sometimes I wish I were addicted to something a little less expensive, like making paper mache animals or doing origame or something.:D:D

Still working - have a big time addiction - will cruise for 45 days this summer but am paying full ( single supplement) fares. I am keeping a list now of when there are big mark downs so I know when to check during my retirement years. Maybe one of us will win the powerball tonight!

I work 2 jobs. My son calls my 2nd job our vacation money lol. which is pretty much the truth. we could pay the bills on the one job but who wants to just pay the bills and never get out and enjoy life! Going on the freedom in a week, so i'm loving that 2nd job at the moment!

You just said it.. We could work a lot less then we do..but we like to get out and enjoy life. Like to shop, eat out and go on vacation! We are not extravagant..just like to enjoy!!

We have always lived on my husband's income, my salary put our three sons through college. Now that husband is retired, we still live on his income, and my salary is our cruise money. I am thinking about retiring in 2015 but not if it means a reduction in cruising!:D

Sherri:)

We also could choose to live on hubby paycheck but that would mean only cruising every few years. I'll continue to work so long as we can cruise at least once or preferably twice per year :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We started in 1992 with a 7 day cruise on the Monarch for our honeymoon, then life and kids happened and we returned to cruising the last couple of years. Although I have a Master degree in Business, I stayed home to raise my 3 children and we have been lucky enough to be able to do 2 cruises a year the last couple of years with my husbands engineering salary and patent royalties.

Since I don't work, it is easy to get some great last minute deals.

Life is good!

YES!

I'm a recent retiree as well but am able to work some casual hours each week to pay for my addiction!

Sadly the body is starting to creak, especially in the knees so not able to do too much walking these days so cruising is just perfect for me!

Gae

Yes. :D

I can take early retirement in 13 months (self funded).

I have just taken an unplanned cruise on my favorite ship, on leave without pay. I plan to do this 5/6 times per year, and keep working part-time.

Sailed

Rhapsody x 10

Radiance

P&O x 5

Carnival Spirit

Booked

Radiance x 3

Rhapsody x 2

Considering

Volendam

Ocean Princess x 2

Edited by Aussie FF

Us too, we want to sell one of our places in So Cal to move to South Florida....just to cruise...But I have a funny feeling that will be a little ways down the road.....have to work just for the fact medical insurance would be soooo expensive on our own, but I am sure that is what we will do years down the road.....as long as there are cheap cruises out of So Florida......we are so there!! :)

Mike

But my job makes it so I can only cruise at expensive times, summer and spring break. When I retire in 9 years, I might not be able to afford as much. But I can catch those last minute deals and I won't have kids to drag along:) Retirement is sounding better already.

That's a good point. Cruise pricing is very dynamic. Peak prices are much higher than off-peak.

This year marks my 35th year working as an R.N. The first half of these years I paid my dues working nights, weekends, and more holidays than I can count in jobs with not the greatest pay, poor benefits and working conditions, and minimal vacation time. My work ship came in 17 years ago with a job just the opposite of what I previously experienced with the greatest benefit of it being truly enjoyable. With the house long paid for and a salary that allows me to contribute max to my 401K plus other investments, and with 5 weeks of very flexible annual vacation this allows me now to cruise pretty much whenever I want. So for me, unless my health would decline making working difficult, it would be foolish for me not to work another 10 years give or take to full retirement age which would allow me the retirement income to continue to support my cruise and spoiling the grandkids lifestyle :)
Wow, I thought I wrote this at first. Describes my situation almost exactly - except, insert 40 years as a Surgical RN. House and cars paid off, kids grown and gone, maxing out the 403B, 5 weeks vacation, spoiling 4 grand-kids - yep that's me, too! Three cruises coming up this year. Edited by rascalious

I waitress three hours on Saturday nights just to vacation cruising or land,right now I'm done with the cost of my upcoming cruise and am now working for my Allure cruise in 2015 with a few small land trips in between.;)

• 1 year later...

I just found this old thread and enjoyed reading it. Like many others we are at a point that the house is paid off, kid done with college and we could retire early but if we did we might not be able to cruise as much as we would like. We are limited to only being able to cruise 3 weeks a year but plan on much more when we retire. For now we are stashing away money into our future cruises account.

DH makes a salary that pays for the household expenses.

I have my own business that pays for vacations. This year was a great year so we have booked 4 cruises which we will be taking during the next year.

I have known many people who work for the "extras". I am working for health insurance, home renovations, cruises, and to save up for retirement. I also kind of like my work, but would like to be a part time worker. Maybe in 7-8 years I will be able to cut back a little. It depends on the insurance and health care situation in this country. :p

Have been retired from the military for 17 years but DW & I currently both work good paying jobs. The military retirement check essentially pays the mortgage. The income from the current jobs pay for everthing else including cruises and other vactions. The kids are grown and gone! :cool:

Edited by bigque

We started cruising 12 years and 5 months after retiring, and haven't stopped since, and don't intend to!! :D;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ?? :rolleyes:

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

We started cruising 12 years and 5 months after retiring, and haven't stopped since, and don't intend to!! :D;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ?? :rolleyes:

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

Congratulations on your LONG LIST of your previous cruises. I'm green with envy 😁. Boy that was a lot of packing and un packing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Porthopper101

I am almost at that point in my life. House is paid off, sons education paid for, husband semi retired and I am still working full time. I would love to work part-time but that would mean giving up,some travel which I refuse to do.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I work part time only, so that I can fund my travel opportunities. Retired in l999, my DH was already retired for about 9 years, he could not wait for me to retire. I got the opportunity to retire early with a slight reduction in my retirment benefits, so went for it. Then decided after 8 months to take a part time, very flexible job... every $ I make goes to our travel budget... been semi retired for 15 years, we have travelled, cruised mostly 2-3 times a year.

We have cruised so that now we are getting picky, about what we want to do next. We have done most of what we wanted to do and are very grateful we have been able to enjoy our time to gather and some adventures, always wanted to go to Egypt went 3 times, want to go to Casablanca did that too, decided to try Cunard which we did when we found a unique itinerary including the port of Cork where my Grandmother immigrated from in the late l890s to the USA... wonderful memories. Next cruise will be on the OM2 out of New York to Quebec City, first time to New England...

Working to cruise is not a bad thing at all as long as you can get off when you want to.