What shoes do you bring?

kimmergal

I keep reading to bring waterproof shoes. What are these and do I really need them? We are renting a car in Skagway, Harv & Marv's Whale watching tour in Juneau and walking the town in Ketchikan. I can't do this in tennis shoes? I am bringing a pair of just leather slip ons too for walking. Plus dress shoes for dinner. What all do you bring?

I keep reading to bring waterproof shoes. What are these and do I really need them? We are renting a car in Skagway, Harv & Marv's Whale watching tour in Juneau and walking the town in Ketchikan. I can't do this in tennis shoes? I am bringing a pair of just leather slip ons too for walking. Plus dress shoes for dinner. What all do you bring?

I'm doing a week in alaska before the cruise and am bringing a pair of waterproof merrell hiking type shoes ... I think as long as you have something to wear if your sneakers get wet - then you'll be fine.

I bring my waterproof (gore-tex) low cut hikers. I have really used them even when it is not raining I wear them as they keep my feet cozy warm and just right also.

I found them a few years ago on Zappos or one of those cites like that. I personally don't like the higher cut heavy hiker and do not feel it is necessary.

Tennis shoes might be ok but can get your feet wet and cold. Poured last time we were in Ketchikan last year but we still went out and about and I was great with my gore-tex low cut hikers.

Our last cruisetour I took two pairs of walking shoes, one pair dress shoes, and one pair of low cut hiking boots. All the shoes used for the excursions (walking shoes & boots) were sprayed with the waterproofing spray bought at Big 5.

I'd pack waterproof hiking boots over sneakers because it's likely you'll have rain. We used them not only for hiking and walking but also for standing for hours out on deck watching the scenery.

You should be fine with sneakers. Spray them with waterproof spray if it makes you feel better.

I take too many shoes, but not usually waterproof unless I plan to hike, in which case I bring my low-cut hiking shoes. Usually I bring 2-3 pairs of sneakers, one of those would be good walking ones and the others more for fashion. Plus at least 2 pairs of dress shoes and 2 pairs of flip flops. I wear the flip flops around the ship most of the time, except glacier viewing day, when I'm out and it's cold enough to want wool socks and comfy sneakers. Of course, I live locally and don't need to fly, so I can pack lots of shoes... even if I have to sneak a pair or two into hubby's suitcase. :D

On our day in Juneau last year (end of May) it poured with rain all day. We were most grateful for having truly waterproof jackets and shoes. It allowed us to stay warm and dry yet see everything that we wanted to in comfort. My shoes were Columbia low-cut hikers (waterproof) and DH's were his Reebok tennies that had been sprayed with waterproofing. Jackets were from LL Bean --don't remember the type but were breathable waterproof. Even used rain pants on-deck on the whale excursion --they were from Sierra Trading. Highly recommend Smartwool socks also.

Two pairs of Nikes, and one pair of dress shoes. For me, this seems to be enough even when the weather is cold and rainy. My wife does the same.

Thanks for all the suggestions. How did we ever travel years ago without the internet and all this knowledge :)

I hear you.:) ..... The answer is guidebooks of course.

To answer the OP -- Bruno Magli and Ferragamo.:cool:

I prefer high-top laceup Belleville 'Paratrooper Boots' for good ankle support when hiking and jumping ashore from skiffs, bushplanes onto slippery docks and rocks.. I tie them tight on top and step right in the water if need be. I carry a spare pair of heavy socks for the way back to the ship. Locomotiveman Tom

Thanks for all the suggestions. How did we ever travel years ago without the internet and all this knowledge :)

It's funny you would say this as I was making the same comment to someone just this afternoon. I guess people just relied on travel books and the advice of travel agents years ago.

We took hiking boots, tennis shoes and dress shoes. For any walking, we've always wore hiking boots (full ankle support, leather tops). That way, we never had to worry about if our footwear is "good enough". It always is and will be.

I bring shoes that fit

This is actually very important. People say that they will be miserable if they get wet feet, but I'd rather have wet feet than to walk around for hours in shoes that don't fit well or aren't broken in! For anyone who is buying new shoes (waterproof, hiking, etc) just for this trip, be sure to BREAK THEM IN and be sure they fit properly. It would be a complete waste of money to have brand new waterproof shoes that keep your feet dry but make your feet hurt all day and give you blisters!

Archived