Upper respiratory infection after cruising?

mamaofami

Both my DD and I came down w/ pneumonia after traveling to FL last year (airplane). I am very susceptible to URI - so I will use good germ prevention techniques and hope for the best!

Well, if you really want to improve your chances of staying healthy you could wear a "Hepa" mask on the plane (and also throughout your cruise) which will filter out a good portion of the bacteria/germs. Since many respiratory infections are caused by airborne bacteria/viruses this method does sure help. On the other hand, most folks do not enjoy wearing those things all the time :)

Hank

Doctors use the term "Upper Respiratory Infection" to make it sound like you have not wasted your money coming to see them for a cold, though the terms are synonymous. Most, but not all (e.g., Legionnaire's Disease, Whooping Cough) are caused by viruses, not bacteria, and so antibiotics are not generally helpful and can be harmful. There are over 200 different viruses that can cause URI's and each persons immune system is different, so severity and duration can vary a lot.

It is very common for the virus to not only infect the nose and throat, but to spread to the sinuses ("sinus infection" or sinusitis) and bronchial tubes ("bronchitis" or lower respiratory infection) and even the lungs ("pneumonia"). It can be very difficult to tell if sinusitis, bronchitis, or pneumonia are caused by the initial virus that started it or if a bacteria has "moved in" and worsened the infection. That is where seeing a physician can be helpful. In general, most viral URI's are gone by 2 weeks - if it lasts longer, it has more likely become bacterial.

Viruses are spread when the germ comes into contact with the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, mouth, or throat. Although they can be breathed in via aerosol droplets, it is much more common for transmission to occur when you touch your face after picking up the virus from touching a "contaminated" surface. Unfortunately, as we get older, we are more likely to be touching handrails as we walk along corridors, go up and down stairs, enter elevators - all more common on a cruise ship than at home.

Bottom line - do all that good stuff you are supposed to do for a healthy immune system (good diet, exercise, sleep, etc.), wash your hands a lot, touch objects on the ship as little as possible (though a cold is better than a broken hip!), and have fun.

Frank, MD

Well, if you really want to improve your chances of staying healthy you could wear a "Hepa" mask on the plane (and also throughout your cruise) which will filter out a good portion of the bacteria/germs. Since many respiratory infections are caused by airborne bacteria/viruses this method does sure help. On the other hand, most folks do not enjoy wearing those things all the time :)

Hank

They are not my preferred fashion accessory! :p

Doctors use the term "Upper Respiratory Infection" to make it sound like you have not wasted your money coming to see them for a cold, though the terms are synonymous. Most, but not all (e.g., Legionnaire's Disease, Whooping Cough) are caused by viruses, not bacteria, and so antibiotics are not generally helpful and can be harmful. There are over 200 different viruses that can cause URI's and each persons immune system is different, so severity and duration can vary a lot.

It is very common for the virus to not only infect the nose and throat, but to spread to the sinuses ("sinus infection" or sinusitis) and bronchial tubes ("bronchitis" or lower respiratory infection) and even the lungs ("pneumonia"). It can be very difficult to tell if sinusitis, bronchitis, or pneumonia are caused by the initial virus that started it or if a bacteria has "moved in" and worsened the infection. That is where seeing a physician can be helpful. In general, most viral URI's are gone by 2 weeks - if it lasts longer, it has more likely become bacterial.

Viruses are spread when the germ comes into contact with the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, mouth, or throat. Although they can be breathed in via aerosol droplets, it is much more common for transmission to occur when you touch your face after picking up the virus from touching a "contaminated" surface. Unfortunately, as we get older, we are more likely to be touching handrails as we walk along corridors, go up and down stairs, enter elevators - all more common on a cruise ship than at home.

Bottom line - do all that good stuff you are supposed to do for a healthy immune system (good diet, exercise, sleep, etc.), wash your hands a lot, touch objects on the ship as little as possible (though a cold is better than a broken hip!), and have fun.

Frank, MD

Thanks, Dr. Frank.

Great info.

We went on the Westerdam last Sept 8th to Alaska. We flew non-stop from IAD to SEA a day early, cruised, then spent a day in Seattle, then flew back two days later.

I started to get sick right after the cruise with an URI and between Sept and Dec. went to the Dr. 4 separate times. I was regularly running temps of 100-102+, felt tired and got out of breath easily. (like walking across a room!) In December my Dr. gave me Singulair but after not feeling better by January I went back. After a bunch of blood work, a chest x-ray, a 4th antibiotic my Dr. put me on two inhalers and a short term steroid and sent me to a pulmonologist (sp?). I knew something was up when the nurse walked in with an oxygen tank! :eek: Oxygen levels should be 100 but mind was in the 80's. No wonder I was so tired!

After talking to me the pulmonologist thought I had possibly picked up an virus on my travels that settled in my lungs giving me episodic asthma. He agreed with the meds that my Dr. had given me and also put me on Prilosec and sent me for a PFT. I'm seeing him in two weeks and hope I can stop my pharmacy of meds. I hate taking medicine.

I often get sick traveling but this was the worse I've every experienced. The price I pay for traveling! :(

PFT?? Pulmonary Function Test?? The pulmonologist couldn't do that in his office? Doesn't sound right; have been going to one for several yesrs.

Prislosec is for GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), which can cause bad cough.

We were on the Maasdam with my eldery Dad in May and noticed more & more people coughing by the end of it. On the plane from Montreal to Vancouver he too started coughing and felt a bit tired. He stayed on for another week and when he got home he was not well at all and was diagnosed with pneumonia. My sister & her family were also away at the same time but travelling in New York and San Francisco (rental car & plane) and within a few days of them getting home two of them had bronchitis. I'm thankful DH & I survived our travels without catching anything (touch wood) but now I'm back at work there are quite a few people sick with a nasty type of cough.

You can't really escape all the germs out there or live in a bubble, but just take all the precautions you can and hope for the best!

Anytime you and your closest 3,000 friends spend a week or so on a floating city in the middle of the ocean, expect to pick up something germy. I sailed on Cunard for a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise (nice cruise) and at day 9, I felt I had been hit by a ton of bricks. I, admittedly, was drinking more than I normally do and was a little lax about touching something then putting it to my face, etc., but boy was I sick!! My eyeballs were bulging out of their sockets and I seriously considered cutting my own head off because of the sinus pain. The last two days of the cruise were (and are) a blur except that the Nyquil I consumed made me seriously hallucinate (not entirely a negative thing). The first cruise I intended to take with my newly-adopted daughter also was a disaster. We flew out the day before the cruise and the moment we landed, my throat closed up and I couldn't talk. As the night progressed, I started feeling weak and feverish. By midnight, I had developed a horrible rash all over my body and both my eyes were fiery red (like Rosemary's Baby's eyes). I had to cancel the cruise at the last minute and go to the hospital. I had a bad reaction to newly-prescribed allergy medication. Luckily I had insurance and everything was reimbursed!!!!

I am glad you did. So much attention is paid to norrovirus problems, but not much discussion on other health concerns.

Now that my head cold has come and gone, I should now go on another cruise!

igraf

Three days on an antibiotic and mu DH has stopped coughing.

When I started this thread, I had n idea that so many people came home sick.

Glad Sam is better, Carol.

I guess it's one of the downsides of any vacation where there are lots of people...planes, ships, land based resorts, etc. I'm not willing to give those up...will take my chances and hope for the best. But I do think I'll be more vigilant about wiping down the trays, etc. on the plane...and wearing a mask if I can get up the nerve!

Edited by innlady1

Carol,

Very happy to hear Sam is better. Good news!!!

My DH also is better - second x-ray came back clear. Usually, about a week before we travel, we start taking zinc daily, as an immune booster (not a good thing for anyone with an auto-immune disease) and continue throughout the trip. This last time we ran out before the cruise was over, so a vicious bug must have got to him! It was probably the flight that did him in, but I'm not sure how long it actually takes for you to come down with something after exposure. I think it must be a few days.

This time, I'm sure Sam caught it from the woman sitting next to him on the plane. We were very organized and had wipes for the trays and seats in our carry on. They made us board very quickly and the wipes went into the overhead bins. We had bulk head seats so couldn't keep any there until after take off. From now on, we'll be sure to be able to get to the wipes.

I guess it's one of the downsides of any vacation where there are lots of people...planes, ships, land based resorts, etc. I'm not willing to give those up...will take my chances and hope for the best. But I do think I'll be more vigilant about wiping down the trays, etc. on the plane...and wearing a mask if I can get up the nerve!

We wore masks last time we flew and heard snickers from the young folks around us but it was worth it to stay health during the whole vacation.

We wore masks last time we flew and heard snickers from the young folks around us but it was worth it to stay health during the whole vacation.

I keep masks in our carryon and if we are so unlucky to be seated very near someone coughing and spreading their germs, we will use those masks and I really don't care about anyone snickering or laughing at us.

I do care when someone is so selfish to get on an airplane and not give a thought to all those they are exposing to their illness. :rolleyes:

I keep masks in our carryon and if we are so unlucky to be seated very near someone coughing and spreading their germs, we will use those masks and I really don't care about anyone snickering or laughing at us.

I do care when someone is so selfish to get on an airplane and not give a thought to all those they are exposing to their illness. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Selfish? Given the situation with outrageous change fees charged by the airlines we can sympathize with those with colds. Just think about it. Suppose you are going on a World Cruise for which you paid over $100,000 and the day before you leave you get a common cold. Now you could skip your flight, miss your cruise, incur thousands of dollars in costs, and be a hero in the eyes of those who did not have to sit near you on the flight. Even Trip Cancellation insurance will not normally pay for a common cold. So ask me if I would be "selfish" if I had a cold? You darn right I would be "selfish." To quote Norm from Cheers, "Its a dog eat dog world and I am wearing milkbone underwear."

Hank

Of course, one would be sympathetic with anyone who has to travel with any ailment, especially if that poor person was heading for a world cruise, but.... wouldn't it be nice if they were sympathetic to me, only heading home from a TA? We last sat in a row for three, me in the middle, of course, and the (unknown) woman sitting beside me hacked and coughed the whole flight, not covering her face. I wish she would have been the one to wear a facemask!

Seems like the sick ones should be the ones wearing the masks. That seems to be a norm in many Asian countries. We should have that practice here.

Sometimes people have to fly when sick - to get home for jobs, go to a family emergency or funeral, etc. They are not necessarily being selfish. They probably feel miserable and would rather stay home in bed, but have no choice. Been there, done that. Just hope they can be responsible when coughing and sneezing and try to find open seats with no one next to them if possible.

Hmmm. Selfish? Given the situation with outrageous change fees charged by the airlines we can sympathize with those with colds. Just think about it. Suppose you are going on a World Cruise for which you paid over $100,000 and the day before you leave you get a common cold. Now you could skip your flight, miss your cruise, incur thousands of dollars in costs, and be a hero in the eyes of those who did not have to sit near you on the flight. Even Trip Cancellation insurance will not normally pay for a common cold. So ask me if I would be "selfish" if I had a cold? You darn right I would be "selfish." To quote Norm from Cheers, "Its a dog eat dog world and I am wearing milkbone underwear."

Hank

And, hopefully, in addition to the milkbone underwear, a face mask if you're sick! ;)

Of course, one would be sympathetic with anyone who has to travel with any ailment, especially if that poor person was heading for a world cruise, but.... wouldn't it be nice if they were sympathetic to me, only heading home from a TA? We last sat in a row for three, me in the middle, of course, and the (unknown) woman sitting beside me hacked and coughed the whole flight, not covering her face. I wish she would have been the one to wear a facemask!

Seems like the sick ones should be the ones wearing the masks. That seems to be a norm in many Asian countries. We should have that practice here.

Sometimes people have to fly when sick - to get home for jobs, go to a family emergency or funeral, etc. They are not necessarily being selfish. They probably feel miserable and would rather stay home in bed, but have no choice. Been there, done that. Just hope they can be responsible when coughing and sneezing and try to find open seats with no one next to them if possible.

Facemask on the one who is ill would make for a different opinion.

But those with colds/flu who were coughing and spreading germs were not wearing masks. Thus..... selfish.

IMO

You cannot stop other people from being close to you and being infectious. But you CAN try to strengthen your immune system.

How many of us take long / sleepless flights that mess up our internal clocks? And for that matter, how many of us run around like lunatics and stress out the week before the trip?

Does "relaxing" on vacation mean more alcohol than usual? Irregular sleep patterns? Late nights? Less exercise? Eating too much of the wrong things? When I had foot surgery, my M.D. told me specifically to cut out sugar because it depresses the immune system. Don't eat sweets much at home, but when I'm on vacation....oops.

We cannot prevent other people from bringing us their germs, but we CAN try to bolster our immune system.

Oh, and I've worked in an elementary school for 25 years, been exposed to ALL the germs in my hometown, and been blessedly free of illness, but got the worst URI I'd had in decades when we went to Ireland some years ago - apparently met a strain that was "new" to my system. That was the LAST time I ever traveled without the Neti Pot!