Upper respiratory infection after cruising?

mamaofami

Sheila posted about it previously and I ordered it from Amazon. I think it's very good for flights.

https://www.amazon.ca/Halo-Spray-Adult-Citrus-Ounce/dp/B009240FPK

Thanks. it looks interesting and I think I'll order it. Even taking the auto train to Florida is a situation filled with recirculating air; thus germs.

Sheila, what is that?

A nasal spray to stop germs, Carol. I think more germs are transmitted on airplanes than cruise ships. As a safeguard, I try to remember to use it wherever there are lots of people in a congested area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shopping and waiting on line in a busy department or grocery store. Eating in almost any restaurant. Going anywhere from a Broadway play to your local cinema for an evening. Taking a bus or the subway or any form of mass transit especially spending a day in two crowded airports and on a Petri dish they call an airplane. Waiting in a doctor's office or hospital waiting room. Having children who go to school.

And sure, on a ship.

bosco.

We have gotten sick after and unfortunately during travel many times - if you travel very often it happens. We have been sick with all types of travel: cruise ship, flying, driving across country, ferry, train, hotel stays, you name it. It happens when you are around sick people and accidentally get their germs whether you are traveling or at home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wondering if anyone has returned from a cruise and developed an upper respiratory infection several days later? We returned on 5/3 and my DH began with symptoms that seemed like a cold, led to lots of coughing and a diagnosis from a doctor of an upper respiratory infection. We did fly home, and there was a woman sitting next to him who was coughing, so maybe he caught it that way.

Anyone else have this?

I came home from my Alaskan cruise with a terrible uri,as did a cabin mate. TooK 2 rounds of antibiotics and a good month more before I was fully functional again. I have given it to my husband , who has not seen a doctor,and it is 6 weeks since I am home. I have gotten it before after cruises,but usually blamed it on air travel .

Hope everyone is on the mend.

Terri aka Augie's mom

• 6 months later...

Stopped cruising this year, since needing medical treatment for serious upper respiratory infections after last THREE cruises! We took only personal car and then bus transportation from home to cruise ports. Later, flew to the Caribbean with absolutely no problems. Decided to resume treatment with an allergist. We'll see . . .

Btw: kept very well hydrated, frequently washed hands, and had balcony stateroom, updated annual flu and pneumonia shots. Any thoughts?

Edited by lejcstar1@gmail.com
Adding info

From the CDC: Non-specific upper respiratory infections:

Guidelines for physicians - when to treat and when to leave alone - how useful are anti-biotics

https://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/community/materials-references/print-materials/hcp/adult-tract-infection.html

Treatment

• Studies have found the common cold resolves without antibiotic treatment.
  • Treatment with an antibiotic does not shorten the duration of illness or prevent bacterial rhinosinusitis.
  • Patients with purulent green or yellow secretions do not benefit from antibiotic treatment.
  • Over-the-counter cough suppressants have limited efficacy for relief of cough due to upper respiratory infection (Chest 2006; 129:95S-103S).
  • Acute cough associated with the common cold may be relieved by first-generation antihistamines and decongestants (Chest 2006;129:95S-103S).

Tips to Reduce Antibiotic Use

• Tell patients that antibiotic use increases the risk of an antibioticresistant infection.
  • Identify and validate patient concerns.
  • Recommend specific symptomatic therapy.
  • Spend time answering questions and offer a contingency plan if symptoms worsen.
  • Provide patient education materials on antibiotic resistance.
  • REMEMBER: Effective communication is more important than an antibiotic for patient satisfaction.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Carnival Horizen’s Inaugural Cruise. Brand new ship yet came home with respiratory infection which developed about 10 days into cruise. Noticed a lot of people coughing at Embarkation and throughout cruise.

Have been on 31 cruises with various cruise lines and have only been sick 4 times toward the end or after cruise. Always have a balcony and allow fresh air into the cabin periodically.

I am neurotic about sanitizing my environment on planes, hotels and cruise ships. I work in health care focusing on infection control and hand hygiene is paramount to me. Considering incubation period I am quite certain I picked this up on the ship despite my efforts. The people in the cabin next to us were constantly coughing. The majority of people STILL

cough into their hands and contaminate everything they come in contact with.

I witnessed numerous people filling their personal water bottles at water and juice dispensers by placing the nozzle right into or at the very top of their bottles. I told one woman on that she couldn’t do that and she became aggressive and bilergant indicating she paid her money and could do what she liked and to mind my own business.

I tried to tell her it was unsanitary to fill it that way but she missed the point, still yelling at me. I saw so many disgusting behaviours that if I Cruise again, and it won’t be with Carnival but that’s another story, I will not eat at the buffet.

The soft ice cream, self serve area is another place to pick up germs. I saw kids taking cones and shoving them back when too many came out, touching the ice cream spout with fingers. I reported that to a crew member immediately who took care of the situation. This is what I saw in brief vista to buffet. Can only imagine what I didn’t see.

They have several Purell stands and even an excellent touch free hand washing area but not many people using either from what I saw.

No crew members are encouraging passengers to sanitize. No signage.

I think Cruise Lines should make this a priority and post something daily in their bulletins about keeping healthy on board ship. Everyone is affected and can become infected in an environment such as a cruise ship.

Also unless your travel partner is as diligent as you are about hand hygiene, you are fighting a loosing battle.

I am still sick in bed and missing work after my 17 day vacation . Guess it could have been worse.

Would love to know if anyone else on that cruise came back with a respiratory infection?

Have seen several cruises where it seems like 1/3 of the people are sick. I think there are multiple reasons. Flying aggravates the sinus, poor hygiene,suspect HVAC ducts and filters. We have found avoiding sick people as best you can, not touching common surfaces like railing, handles, elevator buttons, frequently washing our hands and liberal use of Purel, using Flonase all help.

We have been on many cruises and airplane trips and i agree with others that we have gotten sick more from airline flights than from the ship itself......we have started beefing up on vitamins and probiotics before trips and wipe down airline trays with disinfectant wipes and don’t seem to have problems now.....

Got a upper respiratory crud about a week after I got home,so probably not from the ship(I get crud every winter without fail).

That being said, I nicknamed the Westerdam the MS Influenzadam when I was on my Panama Canal cruise.So many people coughing.You better bet I took every precaution.

Spending as much time as possible in the fresh air rather than in crowded areas with many people. We always have a balcony so that we can get fresh air out there at any time.

We mostly go off by ourselves at ports rather than going on lots of excursions with lots of people. There is nothing worse than an all day excursion on a bus with coughs and colds.

I always schedule a doctor’s appt a few days after I return. This year was a particularly bad year for the flu. We spoke to a couple about two days after Sydney AU, and they mentioned the line 20 feet down the hallway in Medical. DH got it about four days before disembark, and I got it from him the day before we disembarked. The 13.5 hour plane flight made us worse, and we both needed shots and a second round of antibiotics. I hear people that get flu shots every year build up better immunity than those that don’t.

I agree with most comments. I’ve seen some really weird things since cruising. I saw one man pour his coffee from his mug back into the thermos. At the time, I was thinking I’d have to find crew to fix it. But as soon as the man put his pitcher down, a crewman stepped up and carried the thermos away.

I don’t understand why they’re not more careful quarantining people w/ upper respiratory. Those w/ upper respiratory can be sick for a month or more. And nor over us only lasts a couple of days. But norovirus can put you in the hospital if it gets bad enough w/ the dehydration.

We were also packed in a bus a few days before we disembarked w/ people not covering their cough. Part of that is the cruise line’s fault. Because their refund policy doesn’t let you cancel at the last minute. I don’t know if HAL will refund if we visit medical.

Regarding the refusal to prescribe antibiotics, if I don’t get antibiotics, why should I even visit the doctor? Everything else can be obtained over the counter.

Usual scenario: I'm sick. Doctor says it's a virus, which is an expensive way of saying they're not going to do anything. They suggest OTCs, which I already have. Pay them $150. Three days later, I'm worse. So it's another $150, and I finally get the antibiotic and Depomedrol.

Edited by knittinggirl

I always schedule a doctor’s appt a few days after I return. This year was a particularly bad year for the flu. We spoke to a couple about two days after Sydney AU, and they mentioned the line 20 feet down the hallway in Medical. DH got it about four days before disembark, and I got it from him the day before we disembarked. The 13.5 hour plane flight made us worse, and we both needed shots and a second round of antibiotics. I hear people that get flu shots every year build up better immunity than those that don’t.

I agree with most comments. I’ve seen some really weird things since cruising. I saw one man pour his coffee from his mug back into the thermos. At the time, I was thinking I’d have to find crew to fix it. But as soon as the man put his pitcher down, a crewman stepped up and carried the thermos away.

I don’t understand why they’re not more careful quarantining people w/ upper respiratory. Those w/ upper respiratory can be sick for a month or more. And nor over us only lasts a couple of days. But norovirus can put you in the hospital if it gets bad enough w/ the dehydration.

We were also packed in a bus a few days before we disembarked w/ people not covering their cough. Part of that is the cruise line’s fault. Because their refund policy doesn’t let you cancel at the last minute. I don’t know if HAL will refund if we visit medical.

Please explain how your doctor decided you needed an anti-biotic when you presented what sounds like a a viral infection. Did he do further lab testing to determine which anti-biotic was necessary in your situation for any additional and confirmed bacterial complication to the normal viral URI?