Steelers Cruise - March 2014

I found that the prices of these special cruises tend to be high too. We were interested in a Beatles themed cruise a while back, and the prices were about $300pp higher than what Royal was advertising for the same cruise. The travel agent also had a policy of no deposit refunds at all, and the deposit was higher than Royal charged. We passed.

Yes. My BIL tried to talk me into the 3 night Monsters of Rock cruise, and while it looked awesome, it was way too expensive.

What took you to Haymarket? We lived there for over 30 years and one of our sons still lives there. We go back alot. It used to be a quiet little town, but not anymore.

Carole

My daughter lives in DC and we went out there to a winery last Sunday

I had seen this too. DH is a huge fan, but even he said it wasn't worth the money ... looked at pricing for what we normally would book and went down, way down from there, lol. $4000 for 4 in the cheapest inside - to the Bahamas! No thanks.

Yeah... kinda thinking that instead of having to fly to Tampa and take an inside room on a 5 day cruise - with the cost of airfare and all that, DH and I can do a winter cruise from Bayonne in a Grand or Owners Suite for a week... Prices are steep and we did just book a February 2015 Quantum cruise.

My daughter lives in DC and we went out there to a winery last Sunday

Were you at LaGrange? It's about 1/2 mile from where we used to live. My kids loved to Trick or Treat there because the house always appeared so spooky & the owners gave out full size candy bars.

Were you at LaGrange? It's about 1/2 mile from where we used to live. My kids loved to Trick or Treat there because the house always appeared so spooky & the owners gave out full size candy bars.

Yep, exactly where we went. Had a nice time, that's a lovely area.

If there was ever an ideal time for a Royal ship to pull a Carnival Triumph, this would be it!

HAHAHAHA!

I keed! I keed! OK, maybe notsomuch.

LOL!

I looked at the prices for the Steelers cruise :eek: :eek:

WAY OVERPRICED!

Now, if it was a Packers cruise, it would be a bargain :D

This was announced on the Steelers website today. It sounds like a ton of fun! I agree the downsides are it's a short cruise, the ports, and the price. We'll have to think about it...

Edited by D4

If there was ever an ideal time for a Royal ship to pull a Carnival Triumph, this would be it!

HAHAHAHA!

Oh Ponch, you silly Bungles fan! It's not like its a NE Pats cruise! ;) Enjoy Mr Harrison this year. We will definitely miss 92 on our D!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree.

Wonder if it is a full ship charter so that there would be no spring breakers, although the high prices would be a deterrent.

It doesn't seem to be bookable through royal so I suspect it is a full charter. Steeler Nation is huge. It think it will sell out even at those prices.

It doesn't seem to be bookable through royal so I suspect it is a full charter. Steeler Nation is huge. It think it will sell out even at those prices.
I bet it sells out quickly. We live in Sun City Hilton Head and there are always lots of Steeler Fans in the fall. I think there is a sports bar in Hilton Head that is pure Steelers. I'm still a fan even though I left the Pgh. area in 1967.

Yes, even though I am the OP, I agree it's priced too high.

There are so many Steeler fans all over the country (and world, for that matter). We were in Italy last year and found a Steeler bar!

they do have their fan base and I'm sure they will fill this chartered ship.

My sister and I are huge Steeler fans and after looking at their prices we decided no way on earth. I did a check of 5 day cruises on Brilliance, and this company doubled the price of the cabin categories. For example, an Owners suite is normally around $1800 per person. On this cruise, they doubled it to $3740 per person. It's that way for the other categories we checked. I'm guessing they're using that overcharge to pay the fares of the Steeler players.

We also don't like the class system they set up. The higher cabin category, the more access you get to players, and you get more events. We just don't like that inequality.

We've been on other sports cruises and never did any company double the price. Most we ever paid extra was $500, but that paid for three parties with all alcohol and a shore excursion.

And yes, it's a full charter. I can't wait to see if this cruise sells out. But with these prices, I doubt it.

Another member of the Steelers Nation, from San Juan, Puerto Rico. My husband goes to Pittsburgh every year to watch a game with more Steelers fans from San Juan. I'm never going to forget the day he met Franco Harris at the hospital where he did his residency (AGH), or the first time an attending gave him tickets to go to a Monday Night Football in Three Rivers Stadium.

BTW, we take our Terrible Towel with us when we cruise and take pictures for our "Traveling Terrible Towel" album. Our terrible towel is going to Moscow and the Baltic next month!!

Love that name.....the Traveling Terrible Towel album. You make me want to take mine to Italy in October!

Yes, even though I am the OP, I agree it's priced too high.

There are so many Steeler fans all over the country (and world, for that matter). We were in Italy last year and found a Steeler bar!

they do have their fan base and I'm sure they will fill this chartered ship.

Wow...where in Italy was this bar please?

HAHAHAHA!

Got that right. Go Browns!

(Anyone can root for a winning team. It takes a real man to root for the Browns.)

We were in Italy last year and found a Steeler bar!

I found a Bengals Bar in Denmark of all places. I haven't visited it yet, but a woman I know who lives in Copenhagen goes there every game and supposedly about 50-60 folks are regular members of a fan club.

As the Browns fan above me alluded to... we don't get many bandwagon fans like the Steelers/Pats types. No disrespect to the REAL Steelers/Pats fans, but you guys have the absolute worst, most revolting, disgusting, etc. bandwagon fans.

Wow...where in Italy was this bar please?

It was in Rome - wish I could actually tell you how to get there. If you google Steeler bar in Rome, you will find lots of info and possibly directions.

It's fun to take your terrible towel when you travel!

We recently toured with Terry in Samana on our last cruise and he was a Steeler fan - fun to bring him things! - did the same with James in St. Lucia.

Love that name.....the Traveling Terrible Towel album. You make me want to take mine to Italy in October!

Take it!! Mine is going to the Baltic and Moscow next month!! Hope the link to the ESPN commercial works... This is where I got the idea. Google, traveling terrible towel!!:):)

Edited by drarill

Hunting for it immediately! I can proudly say I've been on the wait-list for Steeler Season tickets for over 13 years so far. Heard Ben shopped at our local WalMart, but I've never seen him. I did get to talk to Mean Joe Greene once when he was house hunting, Jerome Bettis lived nearby, and I've seen Franco Harris around town many times...if you're from Pittsburgh, you've got Steeler stories!

13 Years? You rookies! My DD has been on the Packer Season ticket list since the day she was born (nearly 18 years) and is still in the quintriple digit range. DH has been on since the mid 1980’s and with the latest addition to Lambeau may be down to under 100!

My only Steeler story is that my uncle bartended part-time for Rocky Bleir’s dad in the 60’s and 70’s in Appleton and I met the Rock many times.

Packer stories is another matter all together - When I was pregnant with my DD in 1994, Coach Holmgren and his wife would literally save me a seat in the waiting area at the Green Bay airport every Friday night – they were waiting for their twin daughters to come home for the weekend from college and I’d be waiting for my DH to come home for the weekend. I was late one night and he was worried that I might have gone into labor early J, he later recognized my husband in the men’s room of a Chinese restaurant and asked if it was a boy or a girl. My first “date” when I was in junior high was with the son of a Packer, I’ve lived next to the kicker, I’ve had Packer’s daughter’s in my girl scout troops, had a former Packer tutor my DD’s reading group in 2nd grade, I work with a Packer.

Wow - great Packer stories. Gotta love football. I'm starting to look for retirement 55+ communities for a few years from now, and one of my questions is "When there's a football party, which team does the community root for?" Very important!

I just can't justify the cost of the Steeler cruise, although I debated with myself long & hard. They're advertising this cruise in Pittsburgh heavily...

...you guys have the absolute worst, most revolting, disgusting, etc. bandwagon fans.

They don't top the Yankees in that regard.

At least we can agree that ours is the toughest division in the NFL. And the Browns have replaced the Bengals in bringing up the rear. :p

Wow - great Packer stories. Gotta love football. I'm starting to look for retirement 55+ communities for a few years from now, and one of my questions is "When there's a football party, which team does the community root for?" Very important!

I just can't justify the cost of the Steeler cruise, although I debated with myself long & hard. They're advertising this cruise in Pittsburgh heavily...

I grew up in Pittsburgh, left for 40+ years and retired back in the Pittsburgh area. I also thought about this cruise, but the price for what you're getting is just not worth it. I currently have a 10 day RCL cruise our of Bayonne booked for a lot less than the cheapest cabin on this cruise & I don't have to add on airfare.

They don't top the Yankees in that regard.

At least we can agree that ours is the toughest division in the NFL. And the Browns have replaced the Bengals in bringing up the rear. :p

Outside of the NFL... absolutely.

I still think in a few other divisions that the Turds would be a contender. Maybe! HAHAHAHA