REASON FOR ITINERARY DELAY: Carnival to ditch Baltimore, and other homeports?

Very interesting. On top of ultra low NE cruise prices.. now this??!! RCL with its higher prices can more easily absorb higher oil prices if they have to burn a cleaner fuel.

who will win the EPA or Carnival?

lol .. send them all to Galveston .. we will fill the ships.

Very interesting. On top of ultra low NE cruise prices.. now this??!! RCL with its higher prices can more easily absorb higher oil prices if they have to burn a cleaner fuel.

Do you think this is the real reason Carnival pulled out of Europe in 2114?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20758637

The only difference between Baltimore and Galveston is the distance up the bay that the ship needs to sail. The fuel requirements for low sulfur fuel within the US ECA (emissions control area, 200 nm from shore) are the same for every US port. All ships, not just cruise ships must comply. Carnival knows they will not get an exception to the ECA, they are looking for port concessions from Baltimore.

Thanks to "CarnivalBreeze319" for posting this. It's a shame that Carnival didn't see it necessary to explain this to customers as the reason for delaying schedules. I wonder if this is the same problem with the departures from Norfolk as the Glory sails part of the Chesapeake Bay when departing.

I've been watching the Money vs. clean air battle that's been going on now

for the last 40 yrs. or so.

Interesting how Money always wins -even if it kills us!

Find myself wondering..is money another very-addictive drug?

hard to believe its almost 50 years since my one and only visit to virginia beach, where after checking in, we were handed something to protect us from the pollutants in the water, and then watching all the tankers entering and exiting the chesapeake bay.

now someones worried about 2 ships, when mother nature burps out a volcano when she needs ecological balance?

in man vs mother nature, mother nature is in full control and will win evvery time.

Does anyone think that Carnival is also having trouble with the EPA in New Orleans, since the Sunshine's itinerary has yet to be released?

Good point. Since NOLA is farther up the Mississippi than Baltimore is up the Chesapeake, they will burn more low sulfur fuel going there, and they have not threatened to pull out of NOLA. It's just a ploy to get discounted port fees from Baltimore.

Good point. Since NOLA is farther up the Mississippi than Baltimore is up the Chesapeake, they will burn more low sulfur fuel going there, and they have not threatened to pull out of NOLA. It's just a ploy to get discounted port fees from Baltimore.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Sunshine out of NOLA due to EPA situation

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Sunshine out of NOLA due to EPA situation

Where are they going to put all these ships, if they start pulling out of ports? I guess they could always hammer on the Asian market. I'd do Asia in a heartbeat. :)

Where are they going to put all these ships, if they start pulling out of ports? I guess they could always hammer on the Asian market. I'd do Asia in a heartbeat. :)

Well, Pride would probably go to Tampa, but not sure where the Sunshine would go if they decide to pull her

Well, Pride would probably go to Tampa, but not sure where the Sunshine would go if they decide to pull her

Isn't NOLA in the process of spending a boatload of money on their port facilities? Losing Sunshine would be devastating to NOLA.

Isn't NOLA in the process of spending a boatload of money on their port facilities? Losing Sunshine would be devastating to NOLA.

I just did some research, and I don't see them doing any work to the cruise ship aspect of the port. This seemed to be completed in 2010. However, they are doing a lot of work with the shipping (cargo) aspect of the port. Maybe I am wrong? Did you see otherwise?

Archived