Favorite port to cruise from when flying?

GrandmaDi

Vancouver is my favorite north American port city.

I would rather spend my pre-cruise time there than at any of the US port cities (although we have encountered long airport delays on occasion flying out of YVR).

What is your favorite port to cruise from when flying? So far I think my least favorite is Galveston because of the transportation to port and back and favorite was Miami. I would like to hear your opinions.

Venice, Italy

I'd have to say Miami or Fort Lauderdale; they are cities I enjoy and I have family there, so I always go early for a quick visit.

I do, however, also like Cape Liberty. With it's close proximity to Toronto, there are multiple airlines that take the 90 minute flight a day, so if I did have to fly in the day of, I wouldn't be worried at all.

FLL or MIA....in either case we stay pre/post cruise at Embassy Suites FLL (one of our favorite places to stay). It is usually cheaper for us to fly to FLL and SAS Transportation makes it a simple 1/2 hour trip to MIA to catch a cruise from there depending on the ship we are sailing.

If you are asking about the least stressful place to fly to or from, than I would pick Fort Lauderdale. Non stop flight from our home airport. Very short trip from airport to hotel to ship. Total Wine & More within walking distance of the hotel.

What is your favorite port to cruise from when flying? So far I think my least favorite is Galveston because of the transportation to port and back and favorite was Miami. I would like to hear your opinions.

Non-US: Sydney and Amsterdam

US: Ft Lauderdale for all the reasons already listed and Norfolk was nice, we stayed in a hotel about 2 blocks from the pier. Nice walk to get there.

Answering this question, it has to be Fort Lauderdale. Many of the earlier named cities make better sail-always. Rome is the best departure port, be cause we can spend a few days there pre-cruise, but the worst in the context of OP's question - getting from airport and to cruise port are both bad.

We really liked sailing out of Tampa, there are multiple flight options from home and the port is close to the airport. We spent a few days exploring Tampa and the area and quite enjoyed ourselves.

We have sailed out of Port Canaveral twice now and it is my least favourite port. The distance from the airport is enough to give me a heart attack trying to catch a fight home, and transportation options are all inconvenient in one way or another back to MCO.

My views are somewhat tainted by the fact my boys still use car/booster seats, so unless I can get some sort of transportation where these can be used, it is a problem ;)

Fort Lauderdale, especially if using terminal 18 :D.

Never again from Bayonne (OK...maybe to try Quantum). Took an hour last week from when our number was called in Studio B to get to the main terminal (i.e. before luggage and customs). There was almost a mutiny on deck 1 with passengers threatening to storm through gates and RCI personnel. Stood in a packed elevator lobby for more than 10 minutes without moving an inch.

Our return on Celebrity in February 2012 was the same sort of lash-up. Endless wait to get off the ship, chaos in luggage claim area, and grossly mis-handled lines for customs. Low capacity access road, absurd parking- pick up arrangement. Probably the most unsuitable facility for a cruise terminal -- salvaged only partially by proximity to Newark Airport.

Have to agree with Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades, followed by San Diego....you could almost walk from the airport to the cruise ship terminal...:)

Boston isn't bad either....just a short hop on the 'T's' Silver Line.....:cool:

Where ever the next cruise is starting from. :)

Me too. If I'm anticipating a great cruise, wherever it starts is fine with me. And if it starts in a great city like Venice that I can enjoy for a few days before embarkation day, so much the better!

Favorite port so far is Sydney - absolutely spectacular scenery for sail-away and a beautiful and fun city to spend time in pre-cruise. Much closer to home favorite, for the same reasons: Vancouver.

Baltimore - because I don't have to fly - On a clear day I can see the ships from my office window.

Ft. Lauderdale - because the approach is beautiful, over the coast then a u-turn over the Everglades and finally there is your ship in sight of the airport. If not for the highway in the way you could walk. (Miami is by far the worst, if I have to go from there I still fly to FLL.)

Rome - because it is in Italy and I am sailing the Med.

Fort Lauderdale because I live 15 minutes away and friends fly right into the really close airport. But when I fly, Barcelona so far, nice port, nice airport, good hotels, great food and plentiful cabs that are accessible.

Hands down...San Juan...it is a wonderful vacation spot itself....we always fly in a few days early to spend time in OSJ and a few days after the cruise to go to El Yunque..doing it this way, you miss all the craziness at the airport that I have read about on CC!

Lauri

Archived